Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 3,016 | Ratings: 10,930
4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe. As common as this beer is in So. Cal I've only had it a couple times in the last 2 or 3 years since in my first couple experiences with it I just found it too "grassy" of an IPA. Well I don't know what has changed- my palate, or their recipe but this was a fantastic IPA. It had a bit of citrus in it which I never noticed before plus a load of pine. I will definitely be ordering this as one of my regular beers from now on.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours light amber in color clear with no haze. Smell pinny zesty and a bit of a floral hop aroma. Taste is exceptional a touch of sweetness with a nice grapfruit, pinny, bitter hop finish. Mouthfeel medium in body carbonation was modarate. Drinkability I could have more than one this could be a new favorite IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: 22 oz bottle

Appearance: Golden. Like a real beer should.

Smell: astringent clean hops.

Taste: I think they put some hops in here. Bitter but not too bitter. Nice edge, makes me remember why I like beer.

Overall: Nice worthwhile beer. Good to share with a buddy and talk beer. As much as I try to find other alternatives other than Stone, I always come back here. Wanna feel like a real man? Drink Stone IPA.

Good stuff!

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pint pour: Fairly clear, healthy golden color with done visible carbonation and a fair white head.
Aroma, I pick it up from afar here. Terrific hop scent of pine and dank grapefruit. Some malt lurks beneath that as well.
This is a citrus delight of a west coast ipa. I'm surprised I haven't tried it in a long while after only tasting it once prior. Now that I've sampled over a hundred varieties of ipa, I can revisit this here and appreciate the standard. Sweet and sticky grapefruit and pine resin is the impression, and the hops shine like the golden sun. Bitter big time, yet not ending as dry as many would. Creamy medium feel.
Smooth drinking for all this is, which is a perfect example of a beer for those who enjoy hops without much else getting in the way. Not overly complex. Highly drinkable. Grade A stuff.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is my go-to beer. I want some in my fridge at all times. Even though this is a Stone, the hops are not overwhelming. The malt present makes the beer smooth and not as bitter as other Stone beers.

Poured into a glass the color is beautiful deep orange... but who cares, straight from the bottle this beer will not disappoint.

The aroma lets you know that there is a good deal of hops with citrus and a little of pine.

This beer does not coat your mouth too much, so that after a drink there is a crisp, refreshing finish.

Although the ABV is not as high and the hops are not as strong as some of my favorite IPAs and double IPAs, if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be Stone IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a top tier IPA along with 90 minute and Racer 5 to name a couple. A perfectly crafted IPA that doesn't try too hard nor does it cut corners. What I love about this IPA is that it is incredibly accessible and relatively well priced, all things considering. In any case, worth every penny.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Burnt orange/gold, a little hazy with a finger or so of bubbly head. Good lacing. Very appetizing.

S: Orange, candied sugar, grapefruit, sweet malt. Very nice set of scents.

T: Oh gods yes. The fruit from the nose returns up front, but soon opens up into a spectacular array of grassy, resiny, sharp hop flavors and spices. Bitterness is high throughout, but the fruity and malty sweetness balances it rather well while still allowing it that nice "sting". Very drinkable.

M: Mid-light bodied and nice carbonation. Pleasantly sticky. Goes down smooth.

O: Yes yes and more yes. A fantastic example of what an American IPA can be.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Pretty golden-orange color, like that of a sungold tomato. Pours a pure white head that breaks quickly. Pretty apparent aromas of mango and citrus with an almost vinous lingering aroma. Actually, smells not entirely unlike a funkier white burgundy. Maybe one with some age on it or from a particularly ripe year.

Taste-wise, it is pleasant if not remarkable. Mind you, I don't mean that in a bad way, rather that it tastes like it should. Nor particularly boozy or aggressively bitter. Just balanced and pleasant. Odd that should come off as a nearly back-handed compliment, but it does prevent it from getting a perfect 5 in that category. Nice, crisp finish though with hints of tangerine.

Really fine texture and outstanding drinkability.

All in all, certainly a benchmark. Enough exotic aromas to make it stand out and everything else certainly does it's part. A fine brew indeed.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

a: a is for awesome, pours a slightly cloudy straw color with a big two finger thick dish soap like head that lasts forever.

s: s is for superb. tons of citrus hops, when you get this fresh there is nothing like it.

t: t is for tasty. lots of citrus grapefruit flavor.

m: m is for more, as in i need more! smooth yet filling with a slightly bitter dry finish.

o: is for obsess. because i cant wait to go get more.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

my second time trying this here we go

Appearance- Golden yellow brew with thick white foamy head,light carbonation with very small bubbles running up the glass

Smell-- Citrus smelling hops, very hoppy but with def fruit notes

Taste- A deliciously hoppy beer, light and easily drinkable, each sip leaves you wanting more

Mouth- Soft light bodied in the mouth, easy going down

Drinkability- extraordinary, a great beer that is an amazing session to me even though decently high alc level, a golden example of the ipa, great beer i will always be having time to time

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance: Clear medium amber colour topped by a white lacing of head from the pour. Excellent retention. Foam seemed happy to stick to the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

Smell: Light malty sweet aroma with some biscuit and a little doughy. Lots of hops happening, with orange citrus, grapefruit, spice and some herbal/perfumy character.

Taste: Hops. Orange and grapefruit citrus, slightly resinous, assertive bitterness all the way through. Malt is present (biscuity and caramel sweetness), but takes a back seat. Piney at the finish. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with some crispness to start, but becomes very smooth part way through. Some alcohol warming at the finish.

Drinkability: This stuff is great. Lots of flavour, nice balance (I guess you could say it's on the hoppy side), and exceptional finish. This is what I've always imagined an American IPA should be.

22 oz. brown bomber with no apparent best before date.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Appeared very dark amber in the pint glass with minimal head.

It smelled strongly of hops even far from the glass.

It felt medium-bodied in the mouth and tasted very hoppy, not too heavy with little bite.

It was a very drinkable and great tasting beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

pours a clear amber gold with a moderate size fluffy white head and excellent lacing.

really excellent smell, pineapple and apricot hops. and a light but sweet maltiness.

taste is the same with a nice bitter finish.

mouthfeel is slightly creamy and a little bubbly. a light biting sensation in the end.

very balanced in the body and not so complex i couldn't handle it, really good.

really excellent beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Taster Glass from the Escondido 4.25 Color/Look: light amber 4.75 Smell: Hoppy 4.75 Taste: nice bitter bite usual in IPA, well balance 4.50 "
Feel: really creamy" 4.50 Overall: Excellent beer, something to look forward to

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Exceptional IPA. Great pour, that is a cloudy golden copper hue, with an excellent amount of suspension. Great head with good lacing. Aroma recalls citrus fruits and orange blossoms over a subdued beer smell. Strong flavor with good bite and a noticeable bitterness that is enjoyable. Taste is fresh and balanced, with an aftertaste that is a good precursor to the next drink. Exceptional beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04)

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Great beer! This is the epitome of an IPA, in my opinion.

Drank this at Holy Smoke BBQ in Mahopac, NY. Bartender knows how to pour em, too.

To be honest, was a little surprised by the alc. content and I felt it halfway through the beer.

Very happy and will certainly look for this bottled in my local beer store.

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

this is the new 1.1 Stone IPA, poured from a 12oz bottle (many times, 2 6-packs over the last three days) and I love it. Always liked the old version with its different hops but sadly I have passed this up too often over the last few years for newer brasher IPA's offered by other breweries. Can't wait to get a keg of this for the house. What is the difference in taste? Had a 12-pack of the older version but still within date code to compare and I have to say the newer one brings on a slightly sweeter malt before the hops take over. Not my favorite smell for an IPA, but every other mark puts it one of the better ones in my book. Still 6.9%abv, still 77 ibu. I like the hop balance better, it seems to me a bit more bitter on the finish.

The YT video on the new hops https://youtu.be/7SKtYzTn8Qo

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is, wow. Another amazing beer by Stone. I've only had Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard (holy shit), and Double Bastard.

Appearance: 1.5 Finger thick off white head, VERY appealing looking cloudy ipa, dark orange

Aroma: One of the best smelling beers i've encountered, only 2nd to Hopslam by Bells. You can instantly smell the west coast piney ipa signature smell, very citrusy and smells of ripe grapefruit.

Taste: Huge citrus and grapefruit notes, very simcoe oriented, lots of floral and tropical fruity notes... Malt backbone is very sweet and balanced. One of the fruitiest IPAs i've ever had. Very well balanced, probably the most for an IPA i've ever had, so refreshing and smooth on the backend, I could session this all day.

Overall: One of my favorite IPAs, this is what I think all west coast IPAs should measure up to. The aroma and taste are out of this world and I will be buying this over and over again. I may be in the extreme minority, but I prefer this over a Ruination. Which is kind of odd considering I love DIPAs typically a little bit more, and I still love Ruination, but this just blows every other single IPA out of the water. This is one of the beers that converted me full time to craft beer. Perfect on every level.

22oz bomber

As soon as I hear the initial hiss from the bottlecap I'm enjoying more pleasant hop aroma than I thought could ever be possible. Wow. If I could give this beer a 6 for aroma, I would. It pours a pale, golden color - not as pale as a macro by any means or as filtered though. The taste of this beer matches the aroma with overwhelming citrusy, piney hop flavors. Stone must have thrown an absurd amount of northwest hops in this brew. There's an unusual amount of sweetness, but for an IPA, that's still not much sweetness. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 5 in taste is the bitterness. I wish this beer could be more bitter, but that's just because I'm an over-the-edge hophead. Perfectly drinkable as a session brew, but watch out!

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Golden orange with a nice white head with decent retention.

Smell: Lots of citrus fruit and flowery hop aroma.

Taste: Nice hop bitterness with hints of citrus, orange, and lemon. Some light malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: A phenomenal IPA.

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

This is the beer geeks IPA. It's a hop punch combination to the face, with jabs of sweet and grass followed by a haymaker of bitterness. A slightly reddish hazy beer with medium, full body and pleasant carbonation. For me it's hard to really make out any of the malt characteristic as the hops are such an affront to my taste buds, but there is some sweetness from the malt and it clearly makes up the body of the brew.

I can drink a couple of these in a session, but then it just ruins my palette for any beer that doesn't pack the same wallop as this.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer pours a golden yellow with a white head. The head fades slowly leaving thick laces.

This beer has a crisp grassy floral aroma. I detect a lemon like citrus aroma. It also has a good piney aroma.

This beer has a lemony taste. It is very refreshing. It has a piney, grassy flavor. The flavor of this beer is quite good. I might have to say that this beer might be the best IPA I have ever had.

This beer goes down smooth leaving a piney citrusy aftertaste. It is carbonated very well.

This beer would make a great session beer. It has a great non aggressive flavor, and it is only a little high in alcohol. This beer is very good and definately worth any price to get it.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow I was excited to try this beer.

Looks good. Not great. A cloudy orangey yellow with a nice nearly white head that fades pretty quickly, but leaves ok lacing. Edit, must have had a less than perfect glass. This time it looks great, plenty of lacing, though the head does fade quickish so its a 4.5 not a 5.

Smells great. Infact, I cant fault it. Im going the 5. I get rich citrussy flavours, which are integrated superbly well with the caramelly notes from the malt. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple - its all there and wonderful.

For me, a perfectly balanced IPA. Bitterness is big, and doesnt make any apologies about it. However, it sits atop a very good malt backbone offering caramel-like sweetness to support the hop assault. The hop profile in the nose translates well. Could be perhaps a tiiiiny bit more hop flavour, which is why im giving it a 4.5 not a 5. That may be due to the journey it's been on though.

Feels exceptional in the mouth. Smooth, but doesnt stick around too long and the huge hop profile leaves that typical dryness on the walls of your mouth. This is the kind of beer that, for me, deserves an unreasonably high rating. It is pretty much everything I would want in an IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Bomber purchased from Kraig's Kegs.

Light/golden amber body with thick frothy three finger head. Head fades unevenly into a rocky, enduring foam, which leaves a sticky lace on my glass. The head's exciting, but the golden hue to the body doesn't do justice to its complexity.

The smell is so divine! I feel like I'm sticking my head into a jar full of hop pellets. But it's not offensive since the caramelly malt aromas pass when I really get my nose down into my glass. There's an uncertain fruit representation there too.

The malt isn't as powerful as its smell. Not as sweet as I had expected, but leaves sugars on the back of my tongue. There's a faint nutmeg spice that tingles on my tongue when I let the beer settle in my mouth. Masking fruits mute the hop bitterness toward the end, reminding me of a breakfast grapefruit covered in sugar. NOTE: Isn't as bitter as the bottle boasts.

Very oily mouthfeel. Carbonation's pretty strong--maybe the only thing I'd change because it numbs my pallate some.

I was more of a malt guy before I tried this and the Sothern Tier Unearthly. Now I'm psyched for summer and big bodied, hoppy IPAs. If you want to taste what dry hopping contributes to a beer, try this. This beer shows why craft/micro brewers are engineers: it takes such knowledge of hops to pick the right combination for a taste so seamless.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing