Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 10,978 |  Reviews: 3,025

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Drinking from a cold bottle 22oz. Decent aroma, with a hint of fruit. crisp mouthfeel, but than the full flavor and aftertaste comes in, and it ruins it. This beer has a somewhat insipid fruity taste mixed with hops. I don't like beer that tastes fruity, and this ruined this for me. wanted to like it but like most ales for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2.29/5  rDev -45.7%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

2.29/5  rDev -45.7%

Served on a 4oz flight sampler.

Body is honey-amber colored with the typical distinct IPA lacing.

Aromas of orange, grapefruit, and pleasant cracker malts.

Very strong notes of pine and a pleasant under layer of onion. What surprises me here and what brings a welcome appearance is a nice malt backbone to balance things out.

A crisp carbonation follows through on the feel and provides perfect stability for the flavors.

Overall, Stone IPA was better than anticipated. I was expecting an onion bomb but pleasantly surprised here. Will have again.

Edit, had another one. Fresh from the bottle poured into glass. It was all onion, pine, and utter bitterness. One noted. Just gross. Dumped it.

2.29/5  rDev -45.7%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

2.33/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

full yellow transparency, I guess it looks clean and crisp. huge malty notes dominate the aroma, get a bit of grapefruit and citrus but just reminds of arrogant bastard.Tastes of bittery grapefruit, lots of resin. its straight forward, I feel like its a statement beer, a 'macho' beer of bitterness in your face. can't escape the rough mouthfeel, it's just not my jam. This is the reason people probably think IPAs are not good.

2.38/5  rDev -43.6%

---This is a review of the beer while it is Warm!!!---
Serving Type: 22 Oz Bottle

Appearance: Pours a golden orange w/ a 1 finger head. Plenty of lacing as the head lingers right above the surface

Smell: Citrus, hops, pine...the alcohol does not come through in the smell.

Taste: While warm the drink, in my opinion, looses a lot of its subtlety's as the grapefruit overpowers almost any other taste. The bite from the citrus is a bit overbearing and removes the taste of hops. In the places of the hops is a extremely bitter taste

Mouthfeel: Luckily the beer retains it's very light mouthfeel, almost whimsical the way it smoothly rolls through the mouth. It does leave your mouth a bit more dry though because of the citrus.

Drinkability: As the beer warms up it looses it's drinkability because of the overpowering grapefruit flavour that blocks out anything else. YES IPA's usually have a high bitterness, but this one is quite smooth and enjoyable while cold. When it becomes Warm it destroys any previous thoughts you may have on the drink.

2.46/5  rDev -41.7%

Yet another over-rated "sensation" that left me flat. Nothing special here and nothing new to say about it.
It is a piney IPA that lots of people clammer over for some reason. Meh...

2.46/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

2.47/5  rDev -41.5%

It's a murky yellow. It actually looks like a pilsner with dirt thrown in it. Were it not for the creamy white head, I'd think it's a contaminated beer. Though yellower than I expected, it's also more murky. It makes me think of cloudy piss. The lacing left as the foam settles let the hops be known.

The hops smell bitter and astingrent. The beer is straight hops. There's no fruitiness, no malty balance, and no additive novelty. It's like your original bitter. I think of liquor bitters. I think of Bitter Bill's face on the macro commercials. The nose is pure and unadulterated, but I offer no bonus points for that.

It's a plain beer and, although I love hoppy goodness, it's overly bitter and otherwise flavorless. I credit it for simplicity, but why would I repeatedly reach for plainness? It's bitter like an aspirin, and that's not cool.

The quality carbonation provides a fuzzy medium for the hops, so mouthfeel is the selling point. It's oddly the best thing about this bland beer. This is an overly simple IPA from a big-time brewery. I respect (and see most people on this site apprciate) a bland hop beer but I, for one, would like more on the medium of this feel.

I don't really like it, so I won't be drinking it much. It looks overbarleyed and tastes like a medicine while feeling as if it's soda. It's an eccentric experience--particularly for such a simple IPA--but that doesn't mean I'll revisit it.

2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

Disappointing. I bought this based on a recommendation, but far too bitter.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5