Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,989 | Ratings: 10,818
4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Poured a straw yellow almost a copper color with a white head that left very thick lacing.

S: Very refreshing hops smell.

T: very crisp very nice IPA with a very nice hops taste with a slight balance of Malts. Very complex flavor that only improved as it got warmer.

M: Not too light not too heavy but a very nice inbetween.

D: I found it to be very drinkable. It left me wanting to have another so I can further pick apart the flavors of this well done IPA. I would suggest this beer to my friends.

P.S. Had to go and buy a bottle of this beer for further investigation. I'm glad I did I'm drinking it now at a slightly warmer temperature and with the pour it creates a beautiful white dense head that leaves great lacing. With it warmer the taste of pepper really stands out to me right now. The hops have a grassier/ pinecone like smell to them. Gives my mouth a nice little burn. Wow this is a good IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +4.3%

I picked up a six-pack of Stone India Pale Ale while vacationing in Nevada. We don’t get many Stone brews in the northwest so I grabbed some when I saw it. I poured this beer in to a pint glass.

Pours a beautiful gold color and is crystal clear. A rich, foamy white head forms, which is extremely resilient and sticky. The head produces heavy lacing on the glass. This is a very classic appearance. The empty glass dripping with lace is also a classic image.

The smell is fairly strong, floral and fruity. Aroma of citrus fruit is present, and also a whiff of biscuits.

The taste is robust, but not strong or overpowering and wonderfully well balanced between the citrus flavors and hops. The malt is very difficult to detect, but the bitter hops produce a bit of an evergreen, pine, fir or juniper flavor. The bitterness is very pleasant and not puckering or overpowering at all.

Mouth feel is very smooth. The beer is full-bodied but light, crisp and mildly carbonated.

This is a very VERY drinkable beer, with appealing aromas and flavors. The flavors are very well balanced. I wouldn’t mind having several of these in a session. I would certainly drink Stone IPA again, and I wish I had bought more than one six pack.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love the Stone Gargolye motif. The beer flows from the cool bomber a dark gold color, lighter than expected. The pure white head is creamy and everlasting with spectacular lace trails. The aroma is on the sweet side with lots of floral hops, some pine (but not much) and a perfumey maltiness. not strong or very bitter at all.

The taste is a showcase of the sweeter, more floral side of hops. First theres a wash of lavender and rose water flavors, the middle reveals biscuits and caramel. Subtle bitterness reaches its peak in the deliciously balanced finish. The aftertaste is dry and herbal. The hop profile is low on citrus and pine (especially compared to Ruination). The mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is smooth and understated. The alcohol is totally hidden.

This is a great IPA. Instead of the immensely bitter and piney flavors of other IPAs, it has a subtle, flowery hop profile. This is unique to me, and impossibly drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is absolutely the best IPA I've ever had!! Lot's of grapefruit flavor and multi-hops. Very well balanced as well, as it is very malty up front, followed by a tremendous bitter hop freshness. Awesomely smooth and drinkability is outstanding. Very highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours rusty-orange with a thick super-soapy head. The head dissipated to half quickly, but retained atop the body for several more minutes before totally thinning out. Very mellow carbonation. Stringy bits of sticky lace.

Great smell...orange and pear juice aromas come softly to the nose, with some grassy tones overlaid. Only a mild bit of hops far back. An earthy, super-fresh, sweet and inviting aroma.

Flavor-wise, there's a certainly a piney hoppiness going on, even a bit astringent, but you also get remarkable sweetness from balancing malts. It's nice to taste a hop-centric beer that doesn't sacrifice malt for the novelty of extreme bitterness. Well-balanced and incredibly drinkable. Plenty of depth. Nice job.

There's a most welcome creaminess in the mouth: slick and buttery...and then a bit of sting on the tongue after the swallow. Feels really good.

HAIL STONE! This is great stuff, and one of the best IPAs on the market.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a light golden color, with a quickly fading head. In stone's own words, it looks like "fizzy yellow beer". Does have some nice lacing though.

Smells of citrus and grassy hops. Also smells slightly sweet and sticky. Quite enjoyable.

Flavor is very round. Solid hop bitterness, but with a heavy malt backbone. Fairly light on the flavor hops, but some does shine through. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Drinkability is average for the style I feel.

Another quality brew from Stone.... they really know what thier doing with thier hops over in California.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A damn fine IPA. This is a very bittersweet IPA. The color is a semi cloudy amber. Not too much head. Has a very fresh, outdoorsy smell. The taste is deffinatly hoppy. There is a lingering bitterness that sticks to your tongue. A very drinkable brew. Too bad Stone isn't available here in NC. Thanks Wcudwight!!

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours with a curdled-white head, dense, over a full inch in height, and a hazy straw-gold body. The nose opens with a slightly vinous pinch that immediately deepens into fully blown hops (straight-up grapefruit rinds and cut grass) held down by a thin but sturdy ballast of cracker-like yeasts and caramel-dense malts. Taste: Razor sharp zip of hop bitterness -- as if anything less was expected -- blasts off from the tip of my palate and arches back, with finesse, all the way to my molars. The middle reveals more complexity as the malts nudge through, caramel in character, same as in the nose. Thins out for the finish, leaving only a high-pitched echo of hops spinning around the center of the roof of my mouth like one of those obnoxious rotating fire-crackers that throws sparks everywhere and terrifies the elderly relaxed and immobile in lawn chairs on the fourth of July. The mouthfeel is perfect: not viscous, not watery, it holds everything up but washes down without over-staying its welcome.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a light and mildly hazy amber color with a thick white head, which doesn’t fade too quickly and a thick lace.

S: Nice hops smell, but not too strong, with a little bit of citrus.

T: Good hops bite to start out, then gives way to an orange/grapefruit sweetness. Then the hops come back to stay in the after-taste with a slight hint of the alcohol. Although the flavors are distinct, no single one overpowers you. An excellently balanced taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth (Stone Brewing Co. tends to put both of those qualities into their beer very well.) with a medium body and light carbonation.

D: This beer has all of the qualities that it needs to make it drinkable. It’s very tasty, smooth, not-filling, well-balanced and goes down VERY easy.

This is the 4th beer that I’ve had from Stone Brewing Co. and each beer that I try expands the respect that I have for them. This beer is an excellent representation of the style and while maintaining the Stone signature.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

heard a lot about this one, time to give it a whirl.

pours a light slightly cloudy yellow straw/orange color with big white head. not as dark as i expected. looks pretty good. lace cakes the entire glass.

smells like pungeant and spicy hops. very aromatic. one of the strongest smelling beers i've had, smells excellent for a hop fiend like myself.

taste is interesting and complex. spicy punchy hops beat the crap out of your tongue first. nice piney/earthy hops. slightly grassy. mild and odd(but delicious) fruit somewhere behind those hops. finishes nice and dry with strong yeasty/spicy flavor. wow. this is one hell of an intense IPA.
mouthfeel is about perfect. almost creamy and extremely smooth. nice dry hoppy finish keeps the drinkability high also. what a big beer, a must for hop fiends!
by the way- like this? try Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

This is my "standard" beer. The Vons (grocery store) has been stocking this regularly, and is on sale occasionally, so i always have several bottles on hand. In the past sierra nevada pale ale, and back when bridalveil was being bottled, either of those were my stock beer, no longer.
this is a great beer!

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on draft at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth the last two times I've been there. First off this is not what I would expect of the Stone beers I've had in the past previous Stone beverages have been "extreme" in flavor whether its the ruination,smoked porter or arrogant bastard.This appears to be a great session beer but hits you like a 10lb hammer when you aren't looking. My second game of Golden Tee was pint two and my handicao dropped about twenty strokes. On tap this pours a clear orange with a minimal head. I only had three of these on tap and I am happy that someone else was driving.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a somewhat cloudy golden orange color. It had a fantastically thick, tight, creamy heady that had excellent retention. lasted nearly the entire duration of the beer and very heavy lacing.

Smell: The smell made me think immediately of grapefruit and apricots. As I reached further more and more flavors came through. The hops have a very pleasant floral presence but do not burry the sweet malt coming through as peaches or the like.

Taste: The hops here are aggressive but *not* extreme. They are all part of the flavor and used here with cause. There is nothing cloying here just nicely balanced hop and malt attributes making a very pleasant taste. The taste is like the smell; very fruity with suggestions of floral hops, a bit of pine, more grapefruit and sweet toasted caramel along with white grape juice and in the aftertaste a hint of granny smith apples before the grapefruit takes over again. The aftertaste leaves a strong hop flavor (nonetheless sweet as well) on the tongue that kept me taking the next sip quickly, it was so dry. WOW! I didn't realize this beer was almost 7% ABV ‘till the bottom of the bomber and I can't remember how to spell. Obviously the alcohol was completely hidden in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouth feel that is medium in weight, smooth through the center and crisp on the ends. Very nice.

Drinkability: As I am *not* a hop-head, I do not find beers this aggressive to be sessionable for me personally. That said, this bomber went down very easily and I will definitely drink 22ozs of this again. Even though I really enjoyed one I wouldn't drink it all night.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

I used to like crappy beers, or actually maybe I didn't even like them really... I just drank them. Until a friend got me trying some REAL beers and turned me onto Stone Brew. I've had their AB which is a treat, but recently decided to put Stone IPA on tap at my house because it's drinkability is better. This is a truely great beer. My most favorite part is the smell. After my first few glasses I can anticipate sniffing the hops and then getting a good taste of them afterward. If you want (with a tap anyway) you can make a nice head on the beer making quite attractive with a rich yellow/orange color. Has a nice smooth mouth feel as it slides down with a delicious hoppy flavor. Malt and alcohol are present but the hops mutes them. Definately has a bitter ending, which I've grown to like. It fades after half a glass, but can be quite aweful if you had anything sweet as it has a hint of grapefruit at the end. This is probably one of the first beers I take nice long draws from because it actually is that enjoyable. As a word of advice, I see this beer being hated by the average macrobrew beer drinker.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a golden slightly cloudy color with frothy white head and lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is a very complex malty scent up front. Smell is very fresh and clean.
T: More bitterness than I was anticipating it to have. You can taste the alcohol definatly.
M: Medium bodied mouthfeel
D: Pretty good IPA, loved the smell on this one. I prefer an IPA that is slightly less bitter than this one however

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

Very pale body, mostly yellow/amber with a hint of orange, and cloudy. Head is chunky and fizzy, looks to be dissolving pretty quickly down to 1/4". Aroma: Hops! Piney and spicy, very very grassy. First time a beer's aroma has ever actually reminded me of a freshly mowed lawn. A little bit of paprika, and salt? That's the kind of spicy I mean. Taste mostly the same. Moderately thin body somewhat overwhelmed by the hop flavor and bitterness, with a significant fusel-"hot" component. I'm a huge fan of Bell's Two Hearted so I thought I'd be all for a nice pale IPA, but... I'd have to pass on multiple pints of Stone IPA.

What is everyone else seeing here?? I'll have to give this another try at some point.

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%

Executive Summary: Not as bold an offering as I would have expected given my experience with Stone, but then again, this isn't Ruination, nor should it be. A VERY quaffable IPA. I will definitely be going back to the well.

12 oz. bottle purchased in NJ (hooray!)

Appearance: Beautiful golden, slightly hazy appearance, with a light head that reduces to a nice film. Lacing is decent.

Smell: There's a bit of citrus hiding in the back, but this is an overwhelmingly piney aroma.

Taste: Not as bold up front as I would have imagined. The flavors are very subtle and seem to dial up as you complete your sip. No malt presence to speak of, but the hop flavors are nice. Again, piny with a splash of citrus. Bitterness aplenty on the way back. Alcohol is not noticeable. A very well-balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: Light and nicely carbonated. Very appropriately matched with the taste here.

Drinkability: Very high marks for this one. No hesitation in reaching for several of these. Alcohol presence is well-hidden, mouthfeel is light, and the flavors aren't overpowering. This will be great on a hot summer night.

Stone in NJ, finally!!!

12 ounce bottle poured into a Stone IPA specialty glass.

A - Pours a translucent golden color with a nice thick white head. leaves chunky lace on the glass.

S - Nice hops smell with a bit of caramelly smelling malt behind it. A little bit of an alcohol tinge on the nose as well.

T - Bitter and hoppy at first. A soft tea like malty sweetness. Finishes with barely any aftertaste leaving some bitterness on the tongue.

M - Smooth and slick medium to light body.

D - A nice drinking, easy to quaff IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured out of a lovely 12 oz painted brown bottle into a pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sticky amber with golden accents. A small head rose up after a slightly hard poor but dissapated rather quickly leaving a thin "soapy" film coating the top of the beer and some faint lace stuck to the walls of the glass.

The nose on this is aggresively hoppy with hints almost a piney aroma to it, and faint citrus scents way in the back

The taste is extremly bold and refreshingly unique for a pale ale... Spicey on the front of the tongue with a powerful ammount of carbonation this beer finishes very crisp and clean.

Extremely exciting mouthfeel. Medium bodied with heavy carbonation in the front and a smooth exit.

A total pleasure to drink and a unique pale ale, that doesn't break the mold per se but sure does stretch one's personal definition of what the tastes of a pale ale are.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

I have always been skeptical about the Stone beers, but the Stone IPA is starting to turn me into a convert.

Poured the beer into a pint glass, it had almost no head and the off-white head that did form was gone in less than 30 seconds. The color is a light, golden brown.

I love the smell of this beer. It is just oozes thick, rich, hoppy, DANK, aroma. One of the better smelling beers I've encountered (keep in mind California IPA's are historically my ideal beer).

The overall flavor is excellent. It is bitter, spicy, hoppy, dank, full-bodied with an aftertaste that lingers in a good way. No alcohol flavor, which is surprising considering how strong this stuff is. I would have ranked it higher, but I did notice a slight mildew flavor in the finish, which may be the brew, or perhaps a slightly off batch. Pleasant, spicy mouthfeel and good drinkability.

Solid Effort.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Courtesy of the Flying Saucer in Houston, this beer is very dark for an IPA, but don't let that turn you off. If anything this beer gave me jungle fever (slinkin). Also has a nice head that lasts through most of the duration.

Smell is hops and HOPS. I like it, and while I'm talkin about hops lemme talk about the taste. HOPS. Hops are accompanied by a slight to moderate sweetness. Bitter ending, but good bitter. Mouthfeel is just right, nothing offensive.

Drinkability is good, but I had to quit when I did because LSU was out of basketball to play after beating Texas A&M. Don't know how many of these I could take because as I kept drinking I noticed I wanted to be drinking water more than beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours golden to almost a peach color. Head is huge thick and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell is fruity and citrusy with piney grapefruit.

Taste is big but balanced. citrus hops are the star while the maltiness is strong enough to add decent complexity. Fruit flavors are interesting and stronger than in the typical IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a great IPA. I really enjoy the fruitiness. I enjoy the complete hop monster IPA's but this is more complex and interesting.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked this up in New England on my way back from the EBF. I had the Arrogant Bastard on tap up there, and heard good things about this. I thought it was quite good, but just a tad overrated. Seeing the other Calfornia beers that I've had in the past, this had a tall order to measure up to, and nearly pulled it off.

Not the best of pours - the goldenrod color was lighter than I thought it would be and even though the head was great, it didn't make up for the less than stellar lacing. Obviously, there's a lot of hops here, but it's a bit too piney and soapy in the back. The front is quite enjoyable, as the maltiness plays off of the citrus and floral notes well, but it gets ovetaken too rapidly once I stopped fizzing it in my mouth and gave it a swallow. This wasn't bad by any means, but I wish it had a bit more subtleness and depth to it. Maybe I'm not used to the overloading and whallop of flavors, or then again, it just might be a taste and style I haven't fullly acquired yet.

This is a solid brew that got much better as it warmed up and as I went further and further down my glass. I say that about most beers I enjoy, but this one had that quality about it magnified by quite a bit. The ABV is felt here, and the carbonation is a bit lacking, but overall, this was fun to try out and I wish that Stone's other beers were available locally. I would welcome the chance to acclimate myself to their other offerings...

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a very clean orange/amber coor with a creamy off white head that had great lacing.

Smell was of course dominated by fresh green hop aromas, lots of juniper and floral smells with a touch of citrus.

Taste has a nice bit of the hop flavor with alot of pine and lemon with a very solid malt backbone keeping this very balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium thick with a bit of oilyness.

Drinkability is very good on this IPA, it would be a regular in my fridge if were available in my area.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a glass from a bomber. dark gold at the top fading to a golden color toward the bottom. Aggressive pour yielded about 2" of sustained head. Lots of lacing as I drank it down. Smell is not as hoppy as the bottle claims. Flavor is, in my opinion, the perfect IPA. Hoppy flavor without an extreme bitter aftertaste. Leaves you wanting the next sip right away...nice and dry. Mouthfeel is hoppy oil and very smoot. Could drink 3 or 4 of these, but then i'd be....well I'd better get started. Another great job by Stone!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing