Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,979 | Ratings: 10,766
4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

This is my "standard" beer. The Vons (grocery store) has been stocking this regularly, and is on sale occasionally, so i always have several bottles on hand. In the past sierra nevada pale ale, and back when bridalveil was being bottled, either of those were my stock beer, no longer.
this is a great beer!

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this on draft at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth the last two times I've been there. First off this is not what I would expect of the Stone beers I've had in the past previous Stone beverages have been "extreme" in flavor whether its the ruination,smoked porter or arrogant bastard.This appears to be a great session beer but hits you like a 10lb hammer when you aren't looking. My second game of Golden Tee was pint two and my handicao dropped about twenty strokes. On tap this pours a clear orange with a minimal head. I only had three of these on tap and I am happy that someone else was driving.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a somewhat cloudy golden orange color. It had a fantastically thick, tight, creamy heady that had excellent retention. lasted nearly the entire duration of the beer and very heavy lacing.

Smell: The smell made me think immediately of grapefruit and apricots. As I reached further more and more flavors came through. The hops have a very pleasant floral presence but do not burry the sweet malt coming through as peaches or the like.

Taste: The hops here are aggressive but *not* extreme. They are all part of the flavor and used here with cause. There is nothing cloying here just nicely balanced hop and malt attributes making a very pleasant taste. The taste is like the smell; very fruity with suggestions of floral hops, a bit of pine, more grapefruit and sweet toasted caramel along with white grape juice and in the aftertaste a hint of granny smith apples before the grapefruit takes over again. The aftertaste leaves a strong hop flavor (nonetheless sweet as well) on the tongue that kept me taking the next sip quickly, it was so dry. WOW! I didn't realize this beer was almost 7% ABV ‘till the bottom of the bomber and I can't remember how to spell. Obviously the alcohol was completely hidden in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouth feel that is medium in weight, smooth through the center and crisp on the ends. Very nice.

Drinkability: As I am *not* a hop-head, I do not find beers this aggressive to be sessionable for me personally. That said, this bomber went down very easily and I will definitely drink 22ozs of this again. Even though I really enjoyed one I wouldn't drink it all night.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

I used to like crappy beers, or actually maybe I didn't even like them really... I just drank them. Until a friend got me trying some REAL beers and turned me onto Stone Brew. I've had their AB which is a treat, but recently decided to put Stone IPA on tap at my house because it's drinkability is better. This is a truely great beer. My most favorite part is the smell. After my first few glasses I can anticipate sniffing the hops and then getting a good taste of them afterward. If you want (with a tap anyway) you can make a nice head on the beer making quite attractive with a rich yellow/orange color. Has a nice smooth mouth feel as it slides down with a delicious hoppy flavor. Malt and alcohol are present but the hops mutes them. Definately has a bitter ending, which I've grown to like. It fades after half a glass, but can be quite aweful if you had anything sweet as it has a hint of grapefruit at the end. This is probably one of the first beers I take nice long draws from because it actually is that enjoyable. As a word of advice, I see this beer being hated by the average macrobrew beer drinker.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a golden slightly cloudy color with frothy white head and lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is a very complex malty scent up front. Smell is very fresh and clean.
T: More bitterness than I was anticipating it to have. You can taste the alcohol definatly.
M: Medium bodied mouthfeel
D: Pretty good IPA, loved the smell on this one. I prefer an IPA that is slightly less bitter than this one however

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

Very pale body, mostly yellow/amber with a hint of orange, and cloudy. Head is chunky and fizzy, looks to be dissolving pretty quickly down to 1/4". Aroma: Hops! Piney and spicy, very very grassy. First time a beer's aroma has ever actually reminded me of a freshly mowed lawn. A little bit of paprika, and salt? That's the kind of spicy I mean. Taste mostly the same. Moderately thin body somewhat overwhelmed by the hop flavor and bitterness, with a significant fusel-"hot" component. I'm a huge fan of Bell's Two Hearted so I thought I'd be all for a nice pale IPA, but... I'd have to pass on multiple pints of Stone IPA.

What is everyone else seeing here?? I'll have to give this another try at some point.

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%

Executive Summary: Not as bold an offering as I would have expected given my experience with Stone, but then again, this isn't Ruination, nor should it be. A VERY quaffable IPA. I will definitely be going back to the well.

12 oz. bottle purchased in NJ (hooray!)

Appearance: Beautiful golden, slightly hazy appearance, with a light head that reduces to a nice film. Lacing is decent.

Smell: There's a bit of citrus hiding in the back, but this is an overwhelmingly piney aroma.

Taste: Not as bold up front as I would have imagined. The flavors are very subtle and seem to dial up as you complete your sip. No malt presence to speak of, but the hop flavors are nice. Again, piny with a splash of citrus. Bitterness aplenty on the way back. Alcohol is not noticeable. A very well-balanced IPA.

Mouthfeel: Light and nicely carbonated. Very appropriately matched with the taste here.

Drinkability: Very high marks for this one. No hesitation in reaching for several of these. Alcohol presence is well-hidden, mouthfeel is light, and the flavors aren't overpowering. This will be great on a hot summer night.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Stone in NJ, finally!!!

12 ounce bottle poured into a Stone IPA specialty glass.

A - Pours a translucent golden color with a nice thick white head. leaves chunky lace on the glass.

S - Nice hops smell with a bit of caramelly smelling malt behind it. A little bit of an alcohol tinge on the nose as well.

T - Bitter and hoppy at first. A soft tea like malty sweetness. Finishes with barely any aftertaste leaving some bitterness on the tongue.

M - Smooth and slick medium to light body.

D - A nice drinking, easy to quaff IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured out of a lovely 12 oz painted brown bottle into a pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sticky amber with golden accents. A small head rose up after a slightly hard poor but dissapated rather quickly leaving a thin "soapy" film coating the top of the beer and some faint lace stuck to the walls of the glass.

The nose on this is aggresively hoppy with hints almost a piney aroma to it, and faint citrus scents way in the back

The taste is extremly bold and refreshingly unique for a pale ale... Spicey on the front of the tongue with a powerful ammount of carbonation this beer finishes very crisp and clean.

Extremely exciting mouthfeel. Medium bodied with heavy carbonation in the front and a smooth exit.

A total pleasure to drink and a unique pale ale, that doesn't break the mold per se but sure does stretch one's personal definition of what the tastes of a pale ale are.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

I have always been skeptical about the Stone beers, but the Stone IPA is starting to turn me into a convert.

Poured the beer into a pint glass, it had almost no head and the off-white head that did form was gone in less than 30 seconds. The color is a light, golden brown.

I love the smell of this beer. It is just oozes thick, rich, hoppy, DANK, aroma. One of the better smelling beers I've encountered (keep in mind California IPA's are historically my ideal beer).

The overall flavor is excellent. It is bitter, spicy, hoppy, dank, full-bodied with an aftertaste that lingers in a good way. No alcohol flavor, which is surprising considering how strong this stuff is. I would have ranked it higher, but I did notice a slight mildew flavor in the finish, which may be the brew, or perhaps a slightly off batch. Pleasant, spicy mouthfeel and good drinkability.

Solid Effort.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Courtesy of the Flying Saucer in Houston, this beer is very dark for an IPA, but don't let that turn you off. If anything this beer gave me jungle fever (slinkin). Also has a nice head that lasts through most of the duration.

Smell is hops and HOPS. I like it, and while I'm talkin about hops lemme talk about the taste. HOPS. Hops are accompanied by a slight to moderate sweetness. Bitter ending, but good bitter. Mouthfeel is just right, nothing offensive.

Drinkability is good, but I had to quit when I did because LSU was out of basketball to play after beating Texas A&M. Don't know how many of these I could take because as I kept drinking I noticed I wanted to be drinking water more than beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours golden to almost a peach color. Head is huge thick and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell is fruity and citrusy with piney grapefruit.

Taste is big but balanced. citrus hops are the star while the maltiness is strong enough to add decent complexity. Fruit flavors are interesting and stronger than in the typical IPA.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

This is a great IPA. I really enjoy the fruitiness. I enjoy the complete hop monster IPA's but this is more complex and interesting.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Picked this up in New England on my way back from the EBF. I had the Arrogant Bastard on tap up there, and heard good things about this. I thought it was quite good, but just a tad overrated. Seeing the other Calfornia beers that I've had in the past, this had a tall order to measure up to, and nearly pulled it off.

Not the best of pours - the goldenrod color was lighter than I thought it would be and even though the head was great, it didn't make up for the less than stellar lacing. Obviously, there's a lot of hops here, but it's a bit too piney and soapy in the back. The front is quite enjoyable, as the maltiness plays off of the citrus and floral notes well, but it gets ovetaken too rapidly once I stopped fizzing it in my mouth and gave it a swallow. This wasn't bad by any means, but I wish it had a bit more subtleness and depth to it. Maybe I'm not used to the overloading and whallop of flavors, or then again, it just might be a taste and style I haven't fullly acquired yet.

This is a solid brew that got much better as it warmed up and as I went further and further down my glass. I say that about most beers I enjoy, but this one had that quality about it magnified by quite a bit. The ABV is felt here, and the carbonation is a bit lacking, but overall, this was fun to try out and I wish that Stone's other beers were available locally. I would welcome the chance to acclimate myself to their other offerings...

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a very clean orange/amber coor with a creamy off white head that had great lacing.

Smell was of course dominated by fresh green hop aromas, lots of juniper and floral smells with a touch of citrus.

Taste has a nice bit of the hop flavor with alot of pine and lemon with a very solid malt backbone keeping this very balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium thick with a bit of oilyness.

Drinkability is very good on this IPA, it would be a regular in my fridge if were available in my area.

4.16/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a glass from a bomber. dark gold at the top fading to a golden color toward the bottom. Aggressive pour yielded about 2" of sustained head. Lots of lacing as I drank it down. Smell is not as hoppy as the bottle claims. Flavor is, in my opinion, the perfect IPA. Hoppy flavor without an extreme bitter aftertaste. Leaves you wanting the next sip right away...nice and dry. Mouthfeel is hoppy oil and very smoot. Could drink 3 or 4 of these, but then i'd be....well I'd better get started. Another great job by Stone!

4.57/5  rDev +8%

This is a great IPA. The aroma is in full and assertive; primarily citrus and floral. This is what I expect from an American IPA. The flavor is good and bitter with a little sweetness but definitely tilted to the hops. The mouthfeel is round and full with a medium body. This beer finishes clean but bitter and leaves me wanting more. Any hop head will happy with this one!!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: A very orangish gold color with a white head. I made the mistake of allowing someone else to pour my first one and I missed out on the thick lasting head that my second one had.

Aroma: Hops and citrus. Not an overwhelming smell, but nice.

Taste: I find myself thinking of this IPA quite often when tasting other IPA's, thats probably not a good thing when it comes to reviewing but to me this IPA had a nice balance of the bitterness of the hops and a nice malty sweetness. The sweetness is subtle enough not to take your attention away from the awesome hops. Some grassy and piney hints.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp, I tend to like that in an IPA.

Drinkability: I was certinaly glad I had two bombers. A week later I bought a six pack and enjoyed them all.

I enjoy this offering from Stone. This was the first brew from Stone I ever had and I was sold after it on their brews. This IPA seems a bit over the top hoppy at first but after taking a couple slow sips the complex taste is exciting. I will never hesitate to purchase this IPA again, one of my current favorite IPA's.

3.79/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter for my first-ever taste.

A: Light pour yields a bright amber-orange body with little head. The ale is very hazy.

S: Floral, citrusy hops, with a slight nuttiness. Caressess the the nostrils, but is very mild.

T: Mouth coating bitterness, but again, very mild. Nutty flavor is increased, along with great hop flavor. I actually expected more hop power though.

M: Good, tingling carbonation. Slightly thicker than it appears.

D: This competes with Hop Devil for my new favorite IPA. I thought it would have more potency than it does, but I'm actually glad that it doesn't. This makes it highly quaffable.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Yellow and orange hues emit from the glass as if it were almost glowing. A decent head of about one finger adorns the top of the glass. The head is bubbly and slightly off-white. Very clear and fairly pale (as it should be).

The bouquet is pine and citrus, a dash of pepper, and I even got some pineapple. Very fresh smelling with a touch of that nice fresh cut grass smell. I'm also getting a slightly malty smell that's reminiscent of sugar cookies. A touch of apple and some other fruit that's almost sour smelling (but not in a bad way).

Taste is warm and malty in the beginning. A little alcohol spice in the middle. Ends with an IPA's characteristic hoppy bitter bite. Overall, quite delicious, but doesn't quite live up to the smell and appearance.

Light to medium bodied with a rich smoothness that borders on creamy. Starts a little sweet, but fades to a nice bitter end.

A solid IPA. Hits on the IPA style's high points, but with a refreshing mode of operation. Certainly could have another.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Pours a golden honey with a dense, pillowy off-white head that sticks around throughout.

Smell: Piney, somewhat floral hop aroma. Not much going on here.

Taste: A dense wall of hoppy goodness backed by a respectable nutty malt backbone. Not as overly hoppy as Ruination and much more balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: The alcohol is well-hidden but the heavier mouthfeel detracts slightly. No worries, though, I'm sipping this one mostly.

Not bad. I guess my standards are a bit high on this style as I can get Masala Mama on tap pretty much whenever I want, but this is a solid brew from Stone. Well-balanced but still awesomely hoppy.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

I love Stone's stuff more and more everytime I drink it. Pours a reddish amber in color with a thick creamy head. Smells of strong hops and citrus with a hint of pine. Taste is bitter and has a fairly strong alcohol flavor. Very crisp and refreshing though. Mouthfeel is very carbonated but more balanced than most IPAs. Very drinkable if like a good IPA as well as being moderately affordable.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

How the hell did I not review this brew by now? Guess it was so good I didn't think of writing anything. Crispy light drinking but in the end it becomes dry. Flowery hop profile. A bit thin in the mouth for most of the pull. Highly filtered. waves of carbonation fill the glass.

Notes: One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Milder than the big freakshows

3.98/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: orangey gold, with an off white head that has great staying power. Wonderful Clarity. Where are the carbonation bubbles?

Aroma: Classically hoppy. Like a citrus earth perfume. There is malt in the background to give this beer just a nice thick aroma. Very wonderful.

Taste: Whoo, boy. This one is all about the hops. Interestingly enough though the malt comes through at the end. I've never had a beer that went from bitter to sweet. Very interesting. Its got a grassy hop flavor with a nice bitterness and an earthy malty finish. Scares you at first with the bitterness, but suprisingly, it isn't overpowering. Fairly well balanced actually. Hop forward most definately, but that is what the American IPA is all about. Man these guys at Stone sure do a great job. Some toastiness is evident as this beer warms. Gets a little sweeter too, which helps.

Mouthfeel: A Medium body with a crisp carbonation bite. Although, I would rather see less carbonation in this one.

Drinkability: I wish I had more than this bomber.

Notes: I have come to love IPAs and I must say that this is definately one of the better ones I've had. I like an IPA that has more sweetness to balance the hop bitterness, which is why I love Dogfish Head's 90 minute, but this one does a great job for the style. The appearance of both of the Stone beers I have had were superb, and their flavor is excellent. Definately one of the best breweries in America.

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%

so far, this is the best IPA ive ever had. just a great all round beer. heavy on the hops, but not as...raw, as its arrogant bastard cousin, much smoother. pours a light, pure gold color...taste-bright, citrusy hops take the lead, and not much else is prominent, yet somehow it seems really balanced; it starts off really good and stays interesting throughout. as usual though with hoppy beers after a while i get all hopped out and dont want anymore. excellent mouthfeel;the aftertaste is hoppy but not as bitter as others in its class.
im no hophead, but i will definitely pick up this one again on occasion should i feel the need for a hoppy beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. brown bottle pored into my favorite stone 9th anniversery pint glass. it pores a clear but slightly hazzy golden color with great head retention threw out the time. smell is just pure hops, nothing else. the taste is as of no surprise - great hops. a great balance between the hops and malts. no bitterness at all. just pure hop sweetness to my tounge. everything about this beer i love. it is allways a regular in my fridge. this beer will be near my side in my coffin.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing