Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 3,004 | Ratings: 10,890
3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Pours a vibrant golden color with subtle shades of amber. A nice lace that lasts throughout the session

S - Piny hop aroma.

T - Piny hop flavor with undertones of citrus. Didn't have a strong malt flavor

M - Light and dry.

D - Its light enough to drink all night, but be careful because it hides its alcohol well.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Hazy golden orange with 1.5 finger thick white head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Characteristic floral hops and citrus.

T - Great hop bitterness, perfect amount of sweetness to balance the hops and not destroy the palate.

M - Smooth and filling. Thick for an IPA, almost creamy. Good presence but not overly bitter on the palate, which is tough to accomplish with an IPA.

D - Being thick and full of character, I could only have a couple of these - but in the way you would a decadent dessert.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Just released in MO today. Poured into my tulip...

A- Beautiful finger length frothy head. Plenty of lacing. Nice orange amber hue.

S- Piny, hop flower, citrusy

T- Sweet and well balanced. Slight bitterness, nothing overwhelming. Goes down smoothe and easy. Lots of citrus, some grapefruit

M- Slightly syrupy, medium feel.

D- High.

So glad Stone is finally here and that I can mark this occasion with a staple IPA. JAH BLESS

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I heard tell of an urban legend. A beer so great that all bowed before its mighty taste. After ten reviews, I have finally decided to try some its glory for my self.

Appearance: Honey colored with a powerful two finger head that refuses to quit. Very few bubbles can be seen through the glass. With drinking, a thick lace forms on the side of the glass coating it.

Smell: Enormous citrus smell, like a mix of grapefruit and orange. A bit of buttery notes in the background. Unfortunately, the beer happens to remind me of the dish soap that I use, although I never have used soap in this glass. Though I do not think of it as the fault of the beer, but more of an unfortunate coincidence.

Taste: Amazingly complex. Initially it is sweet like honey, then the citrus taste bites in the back of the mouth. You can taste the alcohol a bit, though it is not off putting.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with a proper amount of bubbles. The flavor dances around the tongue without forcing you to swallow.

Drinkability: A great beer. Blends honey and citrus in a creamy warming beer. One bottle is enough for me with the higher alcohol content and massive bottle.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

Thank goodness for the publick house, finally you can buy a great single beer without some jerk doubling the price on you, or the beer being 2 years old

A- Very pale colored, this beer starts off with a decent head which eventually vanishes, holds its lacing nicely, pleasant appearance but not the best quality of this brew
S- It smells like a forest of hops, I can't explain it is the smell of a stone beer, ruination has that same smell, only stronger of course

T- Just citrusy hops that overtake the tastebuds, so good, not excessively bitter which makes it easier to drink, good balancing act by the malt but that is all, so fresh and delicious I ended up drinking this too fast

F- Slightly seltzery mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation finish, medium body, good for the style.

D- With its crisp finish, delicious taste, and a not too heavy feel I could easily have a few of these, but not worth having more than 3 as the delicious taste will be for not after you have burned your taste buds

4.02/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gorgeous screen printed bottle, but thats irrelevant. Light orange kind of cloudy appearance, thin white head. Smells of hops hops hops and spice. Mmmmm. First one knocked me on my ass, second and third became tasty, after the fourth I found myself craving, and the fifth and sixth had me singing praises of Halleluiah Stone!

What a great IPA. More drinkable than other beers of its style, for instance Magic Hat's HiPA. Alcohol is masked by the intensity of the hops. Dry and crisp, another beer that goes well with spicy food. Not overly carbonated, which is great. This beer is a work of art... now to find some ruination...

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

I've been dying to try some Stone because of the rave reviews so here we go...
Pours a pale amber color with a very nice head that really lasts.
The smell is a very nice floral/hoppy smell but it isn't overwelming.
The taste is good with that typical herbal, bitter hop flavor. I would say it is above average but not out of this world. It is very smooth and creamy for an IPA. I could definitely drink a few of these. The alcohol is very understated. It has a good mix of sweet fruit flavors with the hops kicking in to warm things up. A good example of American IPA's.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Could this be heaven in a bottle? I think it might just be.

A: Rich, clear golden hue. Tall oatmeal colored head with tight froth that continues to lace down the sides of the glass

S: Big hoppy must with lots of yeast

T: Wow. Bold and rich. Finishes with a nice clean bitterness that you would expect

M: Smooth

D: Pour me another. One beer can easily turn into a session.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Gotta love the Stone bottles. "enjoy by" date is about 5 days from now. Gold with a nice frothy/foamy top. Good lacing and retention.

S - Citrus sweet, some pine, all hops

T&M - semi-sweet upfront with a mild citrus note then a strong herbal hop bite that lingers on the finish. Med to med thin feel.

D - Not bad, I'd have another..

A good IPA, would try again on draft or a fresher bottle.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: 22 oz bottle

Appearance: Golden. Like a real beer should.

Smell: astringent clean hops.

Taste: I think they put some hops in here. Bitter but not too bitter. Nice edge, makes me remember why I like beer.

Overall: Nice worthwhile beer. Good to share with a buddy and talk beer. As much as I try to find other alternatives other than Stone, I always come back here. Wanna feel like a real man? Drink Stone IPA.

Good stuff!

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was my first IPA ever consumed, had it for the first time about 12 or 13 years ago.
I grew up in SD not too far from classic iconic breweries such as pizza port, port, lost abbey and of course STONE. Here is my first time reviewing the beer:

Appearance. Yellowish Orange, Gold hues and not exactly amber. Decent little white head. Small bubbles shooting towards the surface.

Aroma: get a little pine, a little grapefruit, bready malt characteristics with an evident caramel sweetness

Taste: its crazy how after years of acclimating the palate with hundreds and hundreds of IPA's this particular beer is not super bitter, super hoppy or super aggressive at all, the way I used to perceive it back in the day. It tastes very balanced. The Hops, the yeast, the Malts all come together in a highly drinkable brew but its not super impressive the way I used to think it was. It's a solid go to but doesn't have much depth or any distinct highlights worth discussing. It is lemony and citrusy of course and a dry decent finish.

Mouthfeel: it's pretty light, its got that standard carbonation. Holds itself together nicely but yea about a light medium feel.

Overall: I respect this beer. It's a pioneer and a game changer. This bitter grassy piney bomb changed the way I started drinking, purchasing and talking about beer. Cheers mofos.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've seen reviewers ragging on Stone IPA as not sufficiently extreme. Then they praise Firestone Union Jack which is way over the top. The point of an IPA is not to be extreme. It's not a double IPA. The point of an IPA is to be enjoyed to the maximum extent. Stone is working some sort of gargoyle magic on this brew. It's excellent.

The look is everything an IPA should be. It's nothing unusual. Nice color and plenty of head. The head retains well and laces down the glass, showing a quality malt.

The smell is everything an IPA should be, and nothing it shouldn't be. You don't have to vent excess pine to keep your eyes from watering from fumes (I'm looking at you Rebel) or to catch the underlying complex bouquet. It's got everything - spice, fruit, pine, but nothing is overwhelming. It's a righteous aroma and not at all too much.

Now, it's Stone and you can look up the IBU and see it's 70. You'd think it would be like trying to drink a pint of lime juice, but it isn't. The flavors of spice, fruit and hint of pine combine with the flavors to make it right. The taste is just what IPA should be. That's all.

The bitterness comes into play when it comes to feel and finish. It's clean. In the bad old days of my youth, you might drink a corn-laden Miller or Michelob, and after a few maybe they didn't want to stay down as that corny malt feeling set in. You could kill myriad of the relatively bitter watery-rice Budweiser's, though. It's like this: bitter makes it clean. Now, at Stone's brilliant level, the bitter makes it clean. It finishes clean. Stops on a dime. Time for another.

This is good stuff. It's also widely available, at least in California, although not cheap.

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

I love IPA's and especailly big ones, however I know this one isn't a big one, but it comes across as a great one. There is nothing that I can find wrong with this beer. I tried to find something that I didn't like, but I couldn't find it.
Pours a beauty of a light copper color with a nice head and some nice lacing. The smell is of a nice hoppy citrus that when you smell you can't help but to say AAAHHH. The taste is smooth and hoppy which is what you want however here we have a nice balance and before you know it you are looking for another one. I only scored this one higher than the arrogance because it is a little lower than alcohol and I could probably drink several more of these before I started forgetting things. Stone Brewery I love you. Please come to Arkansas soon.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a light copper. The head was simply beautiful, thick, creamy, and cloudy-looking. Lots of lacing around the glass as I drank. Very thick and constant.

The nose was nice and light. Quite hoppy. Herby and piney, some sweetness also. Both the appearance and smell really make you want to drink the beer.

The first taste is sweet up front. Nice and malty and spicy. Although very hoppy, I think the malt balances the hoppiness very well. There's a little citrus as well. This is a stronger beer, but not heavy in the least. As hoppy as it is, you'd think there would be more aftertaste, but there is not. Overall an outstanding IPA.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange, nice carbonation. Light egg shell white head leaves a slight ring and nice lacing.

S: Strong musky hops with an excellent malt balance. Citrusy floral hop notes come through as it airs out.

T: Hops bite hard up front with a dry malt and hop finish. Sweet malt balance lingers.

M: Carb bubbles hit the throat, then hops dry it out. Last you get a sweet malt aftertaste.

D: Insanely drinkable for the amount of crisp hop bite. One of the best IPA's ever IMO, but for the style alone it is an IPA on steroids.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Beer poured from a large 22 oz bottle into clear glass. Dark Copper/yellow color with about a finger of head. Head settles to a nice film, which remained for duration of drink. Beer is slightly less than clear, but not too dark, or opaque.

S- WOW! This smells fantastic! This beer smells strongly of hops, slightly floral. Very very clean smelling. This is the single best smelling beer I have ever had the pleasure of sampling.

T- Taste is again very dominated by hops, but I really enjoy this flavor. It is a very complex taste. Aftertaste is very clean and almost non-existent after a short while. Very good.

M- Smooth, with the right amount of carbonation. Silky, and slightly thick, without being muddy. Again, very good. I am really enjoying this beer.

D- This beer is very drinkable, as a one and done beer. I would not consider this to be a beer to drink on a weekend for "recreational" time, but is going to become a staple for me when I want something upscale, and worthy of savoring.

Very beautiful beer in the glass, the epitome of perfection in beer. Smell is the best I have ever smelt. I want to take a swab and dab my upper lip so I can smell it all day... yummmm. Very hoppy beer, if you drink it, savor it, it deserves it. A beer very worthy of RESPECT!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

I got to pick up a 6 pack of this on a recent trip out west. Great IPA, lots of hops up front and lingering afterwards. It is one of the lightest colored IPAs I've drunk, nice and bubbly in the glass. In spite of almost 7% alcohol it was very drinkable; polishing off a couple before dinner only whet the appetite for more. I'd buy this often if it were available where I live.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Appearance is hazy orangish yellow with 3 fingers of head that dissipates to about 1/2 a finger.

Smells of floral hops and resiny pine. Little to no citrus on the nose, let alone any malt.

As far as taste goes, hops are the show here, starting with a mild bite and slowly becoming more aggressive in the mid palate, where the first signs of a slight malt flavor also make themselves known. The aftertaste has some of that same malt sweetness, but begins to get pushed out by the ever increasing hoppiness, which lingers on and on.

Mouthfeel is nice, with significant bite from the hops. Medium carbonation works well with the rest of the beer. I could have one of two tops before my tongue begin to beg for mercy.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle

A: pours a light amber with moderate head and laceing.

S: smells like fresh cut pine with a little coppery hint

T: starts with a slight maltiness, fallowed by a rich and refreshing pine flavor, ending with a light hoppy bitterness

M: smooth with minimal fizz, but not flat at all

D: Pretty good

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange copper colour with a white head that leaves a nice-looking lacing. The smell is truly something to behold. All kinds of fruits and flowers come together to form a bouquet of brilliance that is hard to describe using only the words in our English language. Suffice it to say that the smell is so powerful that I almost feel as if drinking it would be an affront to my nose. The taste, while by no means as affront, simply doesn't live up to to the nose. That, however will be the only negative thing you will hear me say about this. It tastes wonderful, with a hops taste, and a malt finish that creates a wonderful balance, while still maintaining the bite and bitterness that a good IPA should have. Feels wonderful, with a great body, and I could drink this all day. A great product that I'll be glad to have another of.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Stone IPA

This beer generally pours straight out of the bottle into my mouth.

The smell of Stone IPA is subtle, straight forward, cold, fresh and hoppy.

There are no chocolaty or flowery fruit flavors here, just full uninhibited beer taste with a double dose of biting hops and complimentary malt tones. There are mild hints of crisp apple to me.

A mouthful of this is perfectly balanced and refreshing; it is clean and satisfying with a complimenting aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Every sip is consistently good.

This beer is my everyday beverage. I think it is the perfect brew.

4.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Excellent nose ..very citrusy and clean. malts integrated but not pushy. overall hop dominated. very nice summer beer, it cools you off. lingering chewy pine aftertaste but not palate wrecking easy to drink. high acidity from hops. alcohol well hidden at 6.9% abv. nice head until the end. good pub or outdoor beer; only improves as it heats up.

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful light orange in color and just a bit cloudy.

Nice finger thick white head and beautiful lace.

Wonderful aroma of hops and citrus. Neither over powering the other. They blend perfectly.

The tip of the tongue catches a brief hint of sweetness, the hops hitting hard mid tongue, continuing through, and leaving with a hint of citrus.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Tried at AOBF...Certainly different from arrogant bastard ale, but very nice. The light almost peach color is inviting and the head is nice thick white and lasting. The smell is a very fruity/citrus smell.
The taste is smooth, with a hoppy ( though not overpowering) and malty taste. Again , goes down smooth and does an IPA justice.
Happy Drinking!

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

I've had this before, so i know i'm in for a treat. picked it up on a trip to kentucky to visit my buddy kmpitz; i can't find Stone in Illinois.

Pours a beautiful gold-copper color with a monsterous 3- to 4-finger ivory head that falls to a slight maintenance foam. Fingerprints of the head nicely line the inside of my glass.
Aroma is pleasant, a woody character with a bit of citrus underneath.
Flavor is a strong citrus hop, that build to a nice bitter, then fades smoothly. Dry-hop is evident, but the bitter balances well with the malt. Active carbonation gives the mouthfeel good character, and a bit of the hop bitter hangs on the back of the tongue.
A great session beer, i could sit and drink this all night long.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing