Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale aleā€”and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Ratings: 11,014 |  Reviews: 3,034
4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

I've had the Stone Arrogant Bastard in a 22oz bomber and enjoyed the extreme hoppiness of it. I was in the distributor deciding to either go with my everyday IPA (DFH 60) or try something new. Went with the Stone IPA. Served in a DFH Signature glass.

A-Nice amber color. Slightly cloudy but not off putting. Lots of carbonation rising from my glass. Nice lacing left on the side of the glass.

S-Nice citrusy smell mixed with a sweet, hoppy smell.

T-Definitely more on the hoppy side than the DFH 60 which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's a nice grapefruit or citrusy taste mixed in which is pretty common with many of the IPA's I've tried.

M-Nicely carbonated. Leaves a slightly bitter taste in the mouth after each sip.

D-Tough call...I liked this beer a lot BUT not as much as my DFH 60. I don't know quite what it is but if given the choice in the future, I'd rather have a DFH 60 or even a Founder's Centennial IPA or Lagunitas IPA. That being said, I'll have no problem finishing off my case. Worth a try for sure...

Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at the Louie's Suds n' Sun at San Diego State University. The best thing on tap and it's something I haven't reviewed, plus it's another hot day and this one seemed like the right beer.

Poured into a clear plastic cup, hey at least it's a clear one. Golden color with lots of foam, a thin layer of foam persisted throughout its entirety. Great lacing too.

The aroma is a bit of a let down. I was expecting this one to be more intense but it's not. Maybe it is the plastic cup but I'm not picking up much here. I had to wait until I drank about 1/3 of the beer and let it get a little warmer to get some aroma. I wasn't getting much but it was a bit better with some citrus, pine and sweetness from the malt.

The taste has a nice bitterness with some fruit flavors in the finish. Some pine flavors begin to develop as I continue to drink it.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are both very good and the drinkability is pretty high as well.

I will have to review this one from a bottle since, for some reason, I wasn't getting too much aroma and I'm sure a bottled version, or a proper glass, would improve its score.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Duvel Tulip.

A-Pours an undisturbed,transparent orangish-gold with a strong and stiff,cloudy white head that stood two fingers tall and exhibited a honeycomb of medium sized bubbles across it's surface before depositing thick,concentric rings of lace on the glass.

S-Undeniably West Coast.Bold,citric hop presence of Navel orange and grapefruit(more pith than flesh)but also a perfumey,floral note on the nose
as well.Sugary,but not overly sweet,malts are well represented and balance the strong hop profile well.

T-Great oily bitterness but used with finesse and restraint.Bold flavors of candied grapefruit,pine,hop resin,wildflowers and caramelized grains all intermingle and work together.Very clean.Some faint spice on the finish was reminiscent of white pepper and lemongrass.

M-Slick and smooth.This beer coats the mouth with a medium body that shows a strong hop presence but also a nice use of carbonation and a dry finish.

O-An excellent IPA that I'm excited to have in the St.Louis market and that only cost me $3.99!

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured into some kind of bell-mouthed pilsner glass. A little bigger than the bottle required, but all I had handy. Color is very close to golden, and slightly hazy. The pour resulted in about an inch of head that disolved relatively quickly and left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - Not as noticable as some others, but it did have the characteristic west coast hops aromas that I really enjoy.

T - More malt forward than I remember my last glasses being, but not in bad way. I guess it just seemed far more balanced than I remember it being. The finish contained more of the hops taste that I was looking for.

M - Silky smooth and delicious. Very light carbonation.

O - Still one of my favorite, go-to IPAs. I'll advocate for Stone where ever I go.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

got this bad boy from Ross. poured a nice amber with a off white head that left some good lacing. aroma big hops, orange and lemon, grassy, a sweetness that I cannot tell if it is honey or brown sugar maybe it is both. flavor dry hops, grapefruit with no sugar on it, pine, perfume and a slight ash tray taste but not in a bad way as it warms do get some sweetness. this is a good IPA

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a pale amber with an ample white head. The head has a good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

Bright citrus and floral notes followed by a resinous pine scent in the nose.

Sweet citrus ripped away by bitter pine and bitter herb rounding back to a bread malt background with some sweet mango notes. A very aggressive and complex brew. A very solid IPA that can run with the big dogs, but is not leading the pack.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%