Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,979 | Ratings: 10,766
4.44/5  rDev +5%

As you pour it, the hoppy aroma is what strikes you about this beer. Did not pour with a big head - about thre-fourths of an inch. Excellent taste and mouthfeel - lives upto its promise of being deliciously hoppy. Drinkability is high - perhaps the best among all of Stone's beers.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: Fantastic! Beautiful clear golden straw color with a thick tan-white head that slowly falls back into the glass as it's consumed with a great amount of lacing.
S: Citrus and Pine hop aromas dominate the nose on this one with some biscuity malt in the background.
T: Pine and citrus hops predominate the flavor as well. Great hop bitterness that is wonderfully balanced with malt sweetness.
M: Rich, crisp and refreshing are the first 3 words that come to mind.
D: This is one of the best stright up IPAs I have ever had. A very easy drinking IPA. Would go great with some spicy food even just a pizza. Highly, highly recommend this one!

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured a slightly cloudy straw/ golden color. Rocky white head with decent retention.

Smelled bitter with a lot of citrus and a bit fruity.

Taste was remarkably smooth for a stone beer, especially considering the usual comments about its "big character" on the bottle. Even though it was smooth, it had plenty of bitter in it. The result is a taste that is really nice and hoppy but without the face wrinkling overbearing quality that plagues many IPAs. The aftertaste is a lingering citrus flavour.

Drinkability was decent. This isn't my go to style of beer which means that I wouldn't want more than one of them in a sitting. Despite that, this is a damn good IPA, possibly the best IPA I've had yet.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours orange-golden with thin white head that dissipates. Clear. Nice floral hop aroma invites you in. Straight bitterness, but very clean and crisp and not overly harsh. Malt is present for only a blink. Dry finish. Very good, but I think I prefer the Ruination. This is a very easy drink, though. Makes me wish it was 80 F and sunny and not 22 F like it is now!

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Golden colored, slightly cloudy with a lot of foamy white head. Leaves a ton of lacing on the glass.
S - Lots of piney hop smell in the nose.
T - Starts a little sweet, but the hops kick in pretty fast. Lots of pine flavor.
M - Mouthfeel is average. It's not full, it's not watery. It's just a beer. The bitterness of the hops does leave almost a dry feeling in you mouth when you're done.
D - I felt that the piney hops were almost over the top. I liked this beer but when I was done with this bottle I was done with this beer for a while. By the end the hop bitterness had gotten old. The citrusy hops in something like Racer 5 IPA don't wear on me near as much.

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

Solid. Given the expansion of the style since its debut, I'll even say it's downright ordinary by now. But that doesn't make it bad. Pours light, crisp, clear, and golden. Tame nose with the requisite pine and lemon notes. Bitterness hits you in the back after a clean, smooth, and refreshing front end. I can't complain, yet I'm not quite ready to celebrate.

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance- Medium Golden amber color, nice foamy, creamy head with great lacing.

Smell-Very nice Piney and grassy hop aroma with a hint of citrus at the end.

Taste-The piney hop flavor really pulls through but i also noticed a resinousy, grassy hop flavor as well it is quickly balanced by a bicuity malt. Very easy to drink, not overly bitter and very smooth.Wow!

Mouthfeel=Pretty light bodied for an IPA and a smooth feel.

Drinkabilty-One of the best IPA's I've tasted. Not overly bitter or oily but full of flavor. Gotta try it if you see it.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

At first sip I was a little worried that I might not like this one as much. But as I've gotten accustomed to the flavors and let the beer warm up a bit, I have come to really enjoy this beer. The smell is pretty dang hoppy in my opinion. I can smell the malt for sure, along with some earthy and citrus, floral hops. Now the taste is the best part. It's like the flavor just comes out of nowhere. The bitterness is there and delicious. You can taste hop resin, a little citrus, and again, the floral notes. The malt sweetness is definitely there as well. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is perfect. Overall, this beer is great and I will drink this resinous babe again.

3.87/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very nice copper color, and has a nice white head that dissapated fairly quickly. Very good, strong hop aroma. You can definitely tell hops make up a big part of this brew, though there is also a very nice malty/citrusy smell balancing it out.

Taste is very hoppy, with a fairly strong up front bitterness flowing into very nice hop, malt, and slitely citrus flavors. Bitterness resides quickly and it has a good body and great mouthfeel, with great overall balance.

the beer poured a very light amber color and had a vairly wear head... about a half an inch or so. The head didn't last very long unfortunatly... but ohh well. anyway the beer smelt nice, hoppy hints of fruit. and it tasted about the same. the first bottle I tried of this I wasnt too impress4ed, but mainly cause I expected THE BEST from stone. second bottle though. very good. nice amount of bitterness and easy to drink. tasted great. I would no doubt reccomend this beer, if you can find it grab it. easy to drink, tastes great.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Straight out of the 12 ounce bottle this IPA poured remarkebly clear. Settling into my glass with a hazy orange tinted gold body and a foamy off white head. Highly carbonated.

Aroma was overwelming with hops. Highly sweet aroma that is very friendly to the nose. I can actually still smell the citrus hops from here with my glass sitting next to me. Orange and grapefruit come to mind.

Nice warm upfront bitternes in the taste that just kisses the tounge. More earthy and malty flavors come through in the middle with a smooth bitter and hoppy finish. Smooth with a nice bitter bite that doesnt take away from the rest of the beers.

A medium body feel for the mouth, not to heavy and not to light. Very smooth going down.

Highly drinkable, I'm trying to resist drinking the rest of this 6-pack before I go to work.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Nice golden orange appearance with the bubble rising nicely in my tulip glass. Medium head but a little shy on the lacing.

Bursting with grapefruity hops on the nose - just like I like it.

Nice hit of citrus taste and a sharp hop bite especially on the after taste. Not the biggest IPA I've had nor the most complex but a classic nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is just a touch thin but that doesn't detract substantially from a highly drinkable beer. I will always come back to this one.

Apearance is a dark gold with a cloudy hew. A decent white foam head.

Smells of strong hops and alcohol. Some malty smells as well as a light grass smell.

Very bitter with a strong presence of hops. Leaves a strong after taste of hops and alcohol.

Very smooth feel with a heavy presence.

Great IPA to drink. Not to strong, not to light. Just a great all around IPA

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Trying to review a beer a day now.

A: Gold/orange with a frothy two finger head (two of my fingers that is) super tight head, nice lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Subdued citrus and a little pine, not too much there.

T: Citrus fruit flavors, almost reminiscent of fruit loops because I get a nice hint of grain at the end. No hints of alcohol. I'm surprised that these higher abv IPAs hide the alcohol so well.

M: A little thin for me, not bad though in fact good just not exceptional. Light carbonation.

O: Another solid beer from Stone, I'm continuously impressed by them. Worth the money to try.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Cowboy style

A- The bottle looked good...

S- Sharp and aggressive with some citrus

T- Wonderfully bitter and strong with a nice undercurrent of citrus notes

M- Smooth, not overcarbonated, not too thick or too thin for an IPA

Fantastic beer. My friend handed me a bottle. We were looking after a house and I didn't want to bother him with a request for a glass (being that he'd have to wash it) so I just drank it from the bottle as he was. Still an exceptional beer, even just out of the bottle. Can't imagine how incredible it is in a glass much less on tap. Great beer. Bitter is better.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a few fingers of off-white head that leaves sticky, resiny lacing that may require steel wool to remove.

The smell is pure IPA thoroughbred. Generous dry hopping is apparent in the heavy citrus notes of grapefruit and lemon zest as well as pine, very little malt in the aroma but who cares.

It tastes just like it smells, delicious. Very few IPAs I've tried have this delivery of hop characteristics but the retention of individual tastes and the citrus qualities of each hop variety is amazingly well blended. Finishes bitter but the malt carries it through smoothly.

Great beer to represent the American IPA style, bold hoppy flavor and boozy weighing in just shy of 7% ABV. Not a beer to session but goes well with spicy food and it's my go to for the over $10 sixer category.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

For what it's worth, Stone IPA and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are the two stalwarts of the American IPA / Pale Ale class. Stone is a very drinkable IPA that is great for both hopheads and casual beer drinkers alike. Even if you are not a big fan of "hopped up" beers, this is still a must try.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

My favorite IPA that I have had to date.

A- A yellowy orange beer that leaves behind a solid lacing.

S- Citrusy and tangy, (Grapefruit, lemon, orange) with a strong hop presence that looms large.

T- Best tasting IPA that I have tried. Starts out citrusy and almost piney, and leaves a bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while.

M- Great amount of carbonation. Light enough body that makes it a potential sessional beer.

Overall I think this is such a well-rounded IPA. It goes down very easily, and although it has a higher abv than the BMC's of the world, it can just as easily be a session beer. It has been my go to for months, and I am still not sick of it. Just can't wait to try all the rest that Stone Brewing Co. has to offer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

He shoots, he scores! This is a wondeful IPA... Pours an orange-caramel into the glass, with a sticky, frothy head, medium retention and wonderful webbed lace. The nose has all you’d expect: grapefruit, citrus, pine, floral accents. These transfer directly into the flavor dept. There is a faint caramel malty sweetness which underlies a huge hop contingency. Grapefruit, citrus, and candy orange slices are noted in the mid-palate, whereas the side- and back-palate are peppered perfectly with a mildly-lingering pine resin dry-hop. All of the wonderful complexities of this brew come together almost flawlessly. It has a very nice, refreshingly creamy (and cleansing) finish that works wonders for the overall effect! Truly, one of the best IPA’s one can have.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome beer. Just fantastic. With so many junk IPAs out there - this sets the standard of what an India Pale Ale shoud be. Tons of flavor and the bite is just right.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

IPAs are one of my favorite styles and I am really looking forward to sampling this one based on my experience with their Arrogant and Double Bastard styles. We can't get Stone in Minnesota yet, so many thanks to Fantome for gringing this back for me from his recent beer trip to Michigan and Ohio.

Pours a nice translucent golden color. Quarter inch head that quickly dissipated. Very nice hoppy aroma. Leaves a lingering thin lacing on the inside of the glass. Awesome hop bite upfront and finishes with a nice malty undertone. Medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Perfect pour. Light amber brown with the nicest white head of suds. Smells of sweet piney hops and a touch of mint. Oh my, this looks good.

This is a hoppy IPA without a substantial amount of malt body. The taste is dominated by a medicinal citrus injection. For the hop-fanatic in me this is a wonderland of bubbly bitterness that tickles the tastebuds long after I take a sip. For the IPA-lover in me it is too linear, and its focus on over-the-top hops denies the complexity of a malty base. Definately worth picking up again.

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured out of a 22 oz bomber into a wide bowled wine glass. Pours a golden amber color. The aroma is of straight up hops. It smells as though I will be eating hops, it makes me a little afraid for what it will taste like.

Surprisingly the taste is not as hoppy as the smell lets on. It is very balanced, but still has a strong hop flavor.

I enjoy this beer and when in the mood for an IPA this would be on my list of ones to buy.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

This is one of my current favorites. Stone IPA pours a golden color with a moderate white head about 3/4 inch thickness. A slightly hazy beer that leaves a consistent lacing down the sides of the glass. The smell punches your nose with nice, hoppy notes of pine and citrus. There is also a slight alcohol presence noticeable in the aroma. A sweet malt smell lingers at the beginning of the sniff followed by a lovely fresh hop aroma. The taste has a bite to it from the combo of hops and alcohol. It has a nice sweet, malty taste and a great bitterness on the back of the tongue. The hops are aggressive and the bitterness level is perfect. This medium bodied IPA has carbonation that sits on the tongue momentarily before dissipating. This, combined with the alcohol, creates a spiciness that leave the mouth tingling for several minutes. The drinkability is very high and leaves you wanting more. I, myself, could drink a million.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Good

S - Wow! Now this was a fantastic smell. Smells just like when you add hops to the brewing process, possibly Cascade hops involved. Very nice. My wife even liked the IPA smell, which she normally does not like.

T - Now, the taste was not as good as the smell, but initially, my beer was nice and cold and tasted pretty good. As it warmed up, it got a little more bitter.

M - For an IPA, I could drink a few more.

D - Like I said, for an IPA, much more drinkable.

Would I buy it again? Yes
Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes
Would I drink it at a party? Yes
Did my wife like it? Like the smell, but not the taste.

Overall: Smell was exceptional,the taste was ood.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing