Love Belgian Beer?

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 1,805 | Ratings: 4,154
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

22 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Nice finger's width of khaki tan head. Gradually recedes, but not a lot of lacing. Color is a dark mahogany with mild clarity.

Smell is a dark chocolate, hints of dark berries and coffee. I don't really smell any smoke. Taste is a little more bold. Bitter bakers chocolate and coffee. A little bit of a charred malt, but still no real smoke.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation. This is a nice porter, but I don't see, smell, or taste the smoke

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to whoever gave me this beer. Stone isn't available in Missouri, so I know I revieved it in a trade. Unfortunatly I don't remember who sent it to me.

Poured this into my Val Dieu chalice. Poured a jet-black, very similar to Stones IRS but just a little less oily. Unfortunately this beer didn't pour much of head, mostly I think, because it was much cooler than it should have been. While it was pretty cold, the lacing lasted all the way down. "Amazingly rich, dark and delicious yet this is our least understood beer." This is off of the back of the bottle. Unfortunately, I have to disagree. While, I do agree with the dark and delicious part, I can't figure out while people wouldn't understand this beer. The only thing I don't get is why they would call this a "Smoked Porter". I couldn't find any smoke in this beer. The aroma is dark chocolate, a bit of coffee and apples. The taste follows suit with bitter, baker's chocolate and java. Still, there is absolutely no smoke involved in its flavor. I think the reason I like this beer is the lack of smoke flavoring. Really this beer tastes more like a thin double stout then a Smoked Porter. The mouthfeel is full; it is much thicker than most porters. I find this beer really drinkable. It's tasty and smooth but the one thing its not is Smoked. I think I would review this beer much higher if they would have left off the Smoked moniker.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip pint glass.

A - Poured black with ruby hues when held up to the light. Good tan head with minimal lacing throughout.

S - Very medicinal smell. Hints of smoke and coffee.

T - Malty and smoky up front followed by an espresso bitterness.

MF&D - Medium bodied porter. Clung to my mouth well and left a pleasant aftertaste. IMO not quite as good as I had hoped.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours tawny brown with puffy head that holds. Smells of smoke and roastiness. Tastes of more smoke and caramel apple with only slightest hops tang at the end. Thin in the mouth.

Body is closer to a brown ale, no real balancing hops. Don't get the fuss over this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a thick, dark, red-tinged colour with masses of head that is nonetheless thinly webbed and dispersing quite quickly - which is good, because that much head wouldn't be much good - and ends up a thin film of mocha foam. Little bit of lacing. Really quite nice.

Fair burnt coffee aroma, bit of charcoal, but not as pungent as other darks. The saving grace is a slight creamy aspect, giving it a nice chocolatey aroma. Nice, could be more powerful. If I had known what this was while trying it I would have been surprised at the lack of smokey character on the nose.

Curious taste. Quite a lot of terrain in this palate. Starts with a rich, cocoa-heavy chocolate character and then gets actually darker, like black coffee, only the mouthfeel is light and smooth and carries away the over-roasted flavour so you almost don't notice it. Finish almost has a raisiny character, it's slightly tart but mostly quite sweet, with- this will sound crazy - a flavour almost akin to musk (and I don't mean animal semen). It's not as powerful as some darks that I've had, but there's a lot of character on that and the flavours are quite pleasant. Again could probably use more, but it's very good for what it is.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours the deepest brown with garnet hues noticable when held up to the light. An ivory toned head fades fast to a cling-ring in no time. Smoky bitter chocolate malt aroma with hints of tobacco. Smooth & malty with bitter chocolate flavors. The smoky aroma isn't as strong in the flavor profile. A solid porter, but not outstanding. Finishes dry. Medium to full body with pleasant carbonation. Surprisingly average offering from Stone. Still a fine beer, but Stone has set the bar high and spoiled us so.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Duvel tulip. Pours an opaque smokey brown/black.

Smell is of malt and smoke and some hints of chocolate.

Taste closely follows smell but is well balanced and very smooth.

Mouthfeel is more crisp than I expected and fairly dry.

Drinkability is fine at this ABV.

Porters are not my favorite style but this was very nice and very drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a deep dark brown with reddish edges and a 2 finger tan frothy head. Lacing left on the glass through the finish. Aroma is malty and coffee like with some smoky flavors noted. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, and a lot of smokey flavors. Hops are well balanced and bitter in the finish. Mouthfeel is a little heavier than medium viscocity. Overall this is a decent brew from Stone. I definitely enjoyed it better when I blended a little Lindemans Kriek Lambic in with the Smoked Porter. It was excellent, and the cherries and coffee/chocolate flavors blended very well together.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

I usually like most things from Stone, however, this does not blow my socks off. The pour is very nice, with a nice creamy head ( I almost thought it was a bad bottle because the first pour had a huge head). The Smoke flavor is faint. Lingering in the background, covered up by the roasty burnt malt flavor. There isn't much to the aroma, but what is there, is smoky. I just don't pick it up in the flavor. It's a solid porter, but I just don't find it all that great as a smoked beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Review from notes on Aug 27, 09 at the Old Toad.

A - mahogany brown, short lived off-white head, well laced. 4.0

S - roasted barley, coffee beans, hint of smoked ham, light cereal graininess. 3.5

T - immediate hit of chocolate malt, cocoa, and hop bitterness. Subtle smokiness in the finish of tobacco and smoked meat. 4.0

M - light in body for a porter and high carbonation. 3.0

D - quite drinkable although I'd probably stop after one. 3.0

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

This was a fine beer indeed, although it wasn't as big or as bad as I was expecting from Stone. Poured a thick black slag of a beer with a large tan head and great lacing. A real beauty.

The aroma consists of molasses, black licorice, rye bread, and a subtle smokiness. Flavor is quite hoppy as one would expect from Stone, with a foundation of rich caramel and dark fruit. A smoked chocolate dryness hangs around for a nice long finish.

The mouthfeel is a bit dull due to lack of carbonation or thickness, and drinkability is kind of low due to the dark, smoky charateristics, and the dryness. In all fairness, it is still quite warm outside and I may just not be in the mood for this on such a warm night. At any rate, this just tastes very similar to Rogue Shakespeare but without the nuance.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Found at Fox & Hound in Centerville, OH. Poured from the tap into a standard pint glass. Server tried to tell me it was Arrogant Bastard, but after much argument, I was able to get the correct beer.

Appearance- Arrogant Bastard my eye. Beer pours black with a two and a half finger head of tan foam that doesn't die for a good ten minutes. No viability, I can't see the strippers, erm.. the management through the beer.

Smell- Very little as this is served far too cold. Some hop and malt. Light smoke, nearly none. As it warms, still very little malt. Perhaps this has been sitting on the handle too long?

Taste- This is a porter for sure. Thick roasty mouthfeel with a big hop balance. Smokiness is subdued and nearly not present, but porter characteristics still persist. Not too terribly impressive though.

Mouthfeel- Strangely light mouthfeel with ample hop bitterness. Medium bodied and well carbonated.

Drinkability- When chugging, smoke actually shows up! I'll give this drinkability a 4.5 just on that fact. Also, Stone Smoked Porter is quite drinkable under optimum conditions.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer pours black with brown hints and a fluffy tan head that holds and laces well. The smell is of burnt chocolate and sweet caramel. Taste is subtle burnt chocolate with roast hints, caramel, and a slight smokiness at the back, certainly not the intense smoke of Alaskan Smoke Porter. Mouthfeel is medium with pleasant carbonation. Overall not smoky enough for a smoke beer and not chocolatey enough for a porter. A decent beer nonetheless, just not my favorite porter or my favorite stone.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pilsner.

pitch brown with an inch of tan head that leaves rings of lacing.

chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and burnt wood in the aroma.

tons of chocolate and coffee in the flavor. a hint of grassy hops and a touch of burnt wood as well, but not near the smoked character of the Alaskan. finishes with a hoppy and dark chocolate bitterness. medium-high carbonation with a medium mouthfeel.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy by 1/22/15. 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep brown with auburn hues; fluffy tan head that leaves great retention and sticky lacing. Looks great. The aromas surprisingly have hints of citrus. I'm picking up some orange peel. Chocolate malts are there. The smoke is there, but seems subtle and not as smokey as expected. The flavors have lots of smokey aspects, but it's balanced. Tons of cocoa malts. Lots of grains. More citrus notes. There's a little hop bite. There's a nice bitterness, but it's not overpowering. Some dark fruits. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. It's very smooth and creamy. Easy to drink. It really opens up as it warms.

This is a solid porter. It's not my favorite example of the style, but it's still impressive. I personally like their vanilla variant better though. It's good stuff, but not elite. It's still one of those classic brews everyone should try if they haven't already.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Dark, dark brown. 1/2 inch cream-colored head. 100% opaque.

S - Nutty aromas initially. Strong scent of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Notes of hops and a little spice, too. Very nice, sweet.

T - Tastes a little like a cherry smoked piece of beef. Heavy chocolate and malt flavors. Not too much alcohol--sweet. A little coffee flavor too. Quite complex.

M - A little thin, but not bad. Not as good as the smell and the taste.

D - I'm drinking the 1pint&6oz bottle, which is the perfect amount of this beer. Wouldn't want anymore than that. It goes down nicely on its own and even better with a quality piece of chocolate.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Black ale, tan head of dense foam with good tracing.

Smell: Smoke, coffee, cocoa, dark malts, and so help me - blood. I actually smell blood. Not entirely unpleasant, either.

Taste: Surprisingly not as complex or heady as the smell would suggest. Smoked malts, espresso, and bitter chocolate notes dominate.

Mouthfeel: Again, not as chewy as one would expect. Thinner than some porters/stouts, but still leaves a nice aftertaste.

Overall: This might be a good transition for those looking to move into the darker, heavier beers without being overwhelmed from the get-go. It's a fine porter to sip slowly, letting it warm to room temperature and discover more subtle flavors/aromas, or a good one to quaff straightaway.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

I don't know where I bought this, but I poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a deep brown, almost black color. The head is a light tan color, four fingers tall, ok retention, great thick lacing, and medium sized bubbles.
Smell: The aromas are smoky, roasted malt, and coffee.
Taste: The flavors are a bit watery, light roasted malt, and coffee.
Mouthfeel: The body is thin with a dirty finish.
Drinkability: This is a good beer.
Don't drink and review.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottlee into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Dark black with a thick tan head. Excellent retention with gobs of lace.

S: Couldn't get much more out of it than roasted malt with a faint whiff of smoke.

T: Roasted malt beginning with a bitter hop finish. The smoke took on an odd mediciney cough drop flavor that I didn't care for. It got better as it came up to temp.

M: Thin and prickly. It got slightly thicker around 60º.

D: Unbalanced towards the bitter. Decent drinkability but I found it to be less satisfying than I had hoped.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

Very roasty malt aroma that is pretty much like a regular porter. I don't get a lot of smoke in the nose. I get a little bit of spicey hop and lots of roasted malt. Some fruity fermentation esters too.

Very dark with red highlights when held up to bright light. Nice frothy and lasting tan head with lots of lacing.

Very malty and a little sweet. Not a lot of roast malt flavor that I would expect out of a porter. There's some, but it's got so much base malt sweetness that it seems lacking. The smoke component definitely comes through in the aftertaste. Hop bitterness is very restrained and there is little hop flavor. Basically, I find myself wanting either more roast malt, like a robust porter, or more smoke flavor. This is a malt dominant flavor profile.

Medium full bodied with very good carbonation.

I really do like this beer and I will drink it again. But I want more character in a smoked beer and in a porter. For Stone, makers of so many big and tasty beers, this seems tame and not ballsy enough in the flavors.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Dark black. Careful pouring still creates half a finger of head, which recedes slowly over a few minutes.

S: Chocolate, coffee -- somewhat understated, but I just got over a cold so I can't be sure.

T: Coffee, toast, a little cherry, and smoke at the end. Pretty balanced, but it needs to warm up slightly for all of it to come out.

M: Carbonation is light, no alcohol burn. Pleasant.

D: Very filling, I can only have one bomber. But it's good.

I've had some better porters and I'll stick with those. But this is nothing to scoff at.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%

Got this one from Olive Tree Marketplace.
Appearance: dark, woody brown with a nice head and decent lacing
Smell: faint odors. Pretty standard for a poter unless it's been overly hopped. Hints of roasted malt and smoke.
Taste: nice roasted malt, medium body and hints of smoke. Well balanced hops subdue the roasted flavor.
Drinkability: this medium booed beer goes down smooth and sits nicely on the palate.
Overall: presumably forgettable, albeit highly quaffable. Good stuff

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Deep deep brown, just the faintest hint of light comes through. Fluffy two finger tan head. A few big bubbles in it. Beautiful lacing.

S: Very light scent, expected a much bigger aroma. A subtle smokey aroma. Like a Bar-B-Que that is dying out. Light hints of chocolate. Nice toasted malts. Very light piney hops in the background.

T: Very woody taste. Dark chocolate. Very light coffee. And a very mild hop bitterness rounding it out. A light smokiness lingers in your nose. It's as if your sitting around a campfire.

M: Full bodied. Not as creamy as I'd like.

O: A nice little twist on the style. I like how the smokiness and woodiness are there but not overpowering. Would've liked a bigger aroma and maybe a bit more of a coffee flavor.

3.56/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours from 22oz bottle with generous head a decent proportion of which seems to be in for the long haul. This has a delightful peat colour.

The nose has a strong smoky smell. If I was generous I'd say chocolate malt is to the fore. If not I'd start moaning about coffee. As it is I'm sitting on the fence....so far.

And after tasting it I'm still sitting on the fence. Delightful creamy, chocolate malt start gives way to a coffee flavour with a hint of hoppy bitterness which renders it palatable. In case you hadn't guessed I'm not a big fan of the northwest's other liquid passion.

The carbonation is great, and coupled with the creaminess it makes for a great feel. I would be in love with this beer, but for my disagreement with most of the planet on the coffee thing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Stone. Love Stone, I do. Bomber to glass....

Dark ruby brown around the edges. Pretty damn dark otherwise. Huge off white head. Frothy, marshmellowy.

Smells...roasty. Burnt coffee. Cigarettes. May sound unappealing, but it isn't.

Tastes like smoked coffee. What does smoked coffee taste like? Get a bottle bobo! Can't get the flavors listed on the bottle with my untrained monkey tongue. Someday!

Feels good, but I've felt better. At 5.9%, easily drinkable.

Toward the end of the bottle, I was more and more reminded of an ash tray, which as a non-smoker really bothered me.

Overall: good porter, not a great porter

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing