Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Liked:
4/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,191 |  Reviews: 1,815
1.98/5  rDev -50.5%

24 oz bottle poured into a glass. No date or code discernible.
A- Mostly black with a slight brownish tinge around the edges.
S- Mostly malty with a slight smoky aroma
T- Is this supposed to be the smokey part? Tastes like hops to me. And nothing else.
M- Average
D- What am I missing here? Is this an old bottle? I am not a fan of hoppy beers and that all this basically tastes like to me, nothing at all like a porter and no smoked flavor either. Very disappointing.

Pretty bland, not a whole lot of interesting characteristics. Considering it is made by Stone, you kinda sip down wondering if you're just missing something, expecting it to maybe come out a bit more as it warms, but it never happens. This might be one of the most "meh" beers I have ever had and by far the worst Stone. Tastes more like Miller or Budweiser attempted to make C.D.A.

2.18/5  rDev -45.5%

Just not a big fan of Stone's porter/stout offerings. This has an incredibly thin body, low smoke flavor, just overall really boring.

2.18/5  rDev -45.5%

The best thing about this smokebeer is that it seems to be the most prevalent in the US. The worst thing is not enough smoke. Another good thing about this beer, $4.99 per bomber. Another bad thing, smokepower taste. Slight maltiness, really slight smokyness, but, I can get this at the corner gas station. Maybe I’ll re-review this beer in the future. Overall score = 5.667 out of 7, which translates to 4 out of 5 for BA, which will then get bumped around again according to what other people think. For what its worth, learn more at https://smokebeerministry.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/stone-brewing-co-smoked-porter/ maybe buy the tshirt, follow, send in a smokebeer of your own (yeah right). DrinkSmoke

2.19/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Reminds me of chocolate soda. Thin taste and mouth feel. Much better porters out there.

2.21/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

It was ok, not my favorite

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.34/5  rDev -41.5%

I was excited when I bought this one... no more. Just not put together right or something.

Appearance- beautiful porter, fine white bubbles, 1 finger of head. Pretty lacing, all around a pretty glass of beer.

Smell- Subdued, but definitely a porter. Lacking that caramelized hint in the aroma, not much in the way of smoke smell.

Taste- A good porter battled it out with a ton of wood smoke. I at first didn't think either of them won, but now, near the end of the bottle, I keep thinking I'm at a campfire. The smoke flavor has overwhelmed all but the bitterness of the porter, and my mouth tastes like ashes.

Feel- texture was nice, smooth, but the ashy afterfeel is bad. Not real happy here. Feels like I need a drink to wash away the flavor of the smoke. Hmmm...

Overall... already said it. Just wondering if perhaps it would go better with a particular meal (BBQ? Fried chicken? Smoked Sausage?) than standing alone... or perhaps I shouldn't have planned on drinking all 22 oz by myself.

2.35/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I normally like just about any beer much better between 60 and 70 degrees F. I had to get this one down to between 40 and 45 to get any kind of a decent taste from it. At the warmer temp it smelled of burnt manure, with a similar taste. Even at a colder temp it immediately put me in mind of the huge, open plan barns filled with farm animals at the 4-H events I went to as a kid. Might be a nice base as a farmhouse ale (a la Mad Meg), but as a smoked porter, it was a little disgusting, even if a bit nostalgic. I'm thinking it was an off bottle, b/c the Vanilla Bean version had a fantastic smoke presence, pitched just right so as to be clear and upfront without being overwhelming.

2.41/5  rDev -39.8%

This is the only product I've sampled from one of my favorite breweries that I cannot stand. I've tried this on multiple occasions while visiting the stone brewery just to see if maybe my opinion would change, but it hasn't. The smoothness of the beer is it's best attribute. The smoky flavor is unappetizing and leaves me wanting to get anything else on the menu in my glass to overpower the flavor. Think I'm done trying to give this a chance and will just leave this off my list of beers I like.

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%

Original Rating Date:
September 25, 2008

Pours dark black with a nice, foamy brown head. Beautiful, steady, permanent lacing that lingers down the glass. Great looking beer in the glass. Smells of weak malts -- no smokiness, no chocolate, nothing else. Very disappointing aroma. Flavor is lots of chocolate, ironically not very smokey at all. Digging deeper there is some dark fruit there. There's a bit of a watery character to the beer as well. Unusually weak brew from Stone. Other reviews on this site rave, but I didn't come away with a great experience from this beer.

2.43/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Terrible, just so bad. I had three sips and dumped it down the drain. One of the few beers I've had to get rid of. Stone is an over-hyped brewery and most of what they make are IPAs and pale ales that all taste the same. Avoid it if you can.

2.47/5  rDev -38.3%

Had this on tap at the First Street Draught House in town. Came out a very dark black with some ruby highlights on the edges. Nice creamy tan head on top. Left beautiful sip rings. Smoke is surprisingly absent in the nose. I was expecting a smoky, roasted scent, but in its place was just some cocoa tones with a sweet finish.

Very creamy body on this beer. Carbonation level was low. Smooth. No smoke in the flavor either. What makes this smoked? This tastes like a regular porter to me. Some light coffee bitterness, mild chocolate flavors, and roasted malts on the finish. Sorry, but this was boring when I expected something a little more original.

2.5/5  rDev -37.5%