Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,190 |  Reviews: 1,815

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance - Dark brown / black with a nice mocha two finger head.

Aroma - Smoked malts, some coffee and chocolate in the backbone

Taste - A little light for me. Tasted like a light stout with little defining characteristics, was hoping for a deeper rich malty smokiness in it. Still holds up though, some nice coffee and chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel - Thin, decently carbonated.

Overall - not my favorite stone brew but definitely worth a shot!

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Served into a regular water glass while playing poker.

The beer was a dark brown with a two finger tan head.

Smelled very malty, a little smoky, with some coffee and chocolate notes present. I loved how this smelled, I think I'd like a room to smell like this.

Fantastic taste. Smoky with a fairly heavy coffee taste and some hints of chocolate.

I loved this mouthfeel of this. Perfect amount of carbonation and just creamy enough.

I would definitely get this again and every time I see it at Spec's I fight with myself whether or not to get it.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Stone pint glass.

The head is initially about 2 and a half fingers high, light tan in color, and creamy I'd say. Head fades gradually leaving some nice lacing behind. Color of the beer is a dark, dark brown with deep medium brown and ruby hints when held to the light.

The aroma is of lighter roasted/smoked malts, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, and a bit of woodsy smoke. Hints of vanilla in the background.

The taste offers a bit more obvious smoke, char, and burnt malts, but it's still on the lighter side. Aside from that there's roasted malts, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, maybe a bit of caramel, and hints of smoked meat, with some hops on the finish but not much. Nice touch.

Mouthfeel is a bit lacking I think. If anything it's more average than lacking but I would have liked it be a bit more full. Consistency is smooth for sure, carbonation is light, body is light, and the finish is moderately lasting. Like I said, I would have liked the body to be a bit more full, not as light and thin as it was.

Overall this is good porter. Not my favorite, or with the best mouthfeel, but a good tasting porter nonetheless. In fact, as far as taste goes, it's up there pretty high, but the feel takes it down a bit for me. I'll give it one thing, though, it's quite drinkable. And at the ABV, it could be close to a more full flavored session type beer.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

poured into 20oz pint glass

A-brown on top and pitch black in the middle. nice big head that dissipates into lacing all around the glass

S-Faint for a porter. faint smoked aroma and thats pretty much it

T/M-Very nice creamy mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Its got a good roasted flavour thats very pleasant to the taste buds.

O-A pretty good porter from our friends at Stone brewing.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing