Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,185 |  Reviews: 1,814
3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

Very dark brown, with ruby highlights at the dges, a light tan head that is rather small, showing a decent retention and minimal lacing.
Aroma is rather weak for what I expected, showing some roasted malt notes, chocolate, and if you work hard, perhaps some "smoke".
Light to medium body, it has the expected roasted notes, but mostly chocolate and coffee. Everything not exactly strong or remarkable; a pleasant brew, but in my opinion does not deserve to be called smoked. Subpar for Stone.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Incredibly dark brown with faint ruby highlights when held up to light. Huge head upon pouring that slowly fades lleaving a pillowy layer on top. Chunky lacing up and down the mug.

S - Roasted nuts and a smoked malt aroma, but not very strong. Hints of beef jerky?

T - Hints of chocolate, roasted nuts, and a dominant smokiness. A spicy hop taste sneaks in, but the smokiness is the star here. Not as strong of flavors as I am used to out of most Stone beers, but still a well done balanced beer.

M/D - Full flavored but a touch thin on the feel. Too much carbonation. A very drinkable porter.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: From a bottle with a gargoyle on it it pours black as night with red hues. A thick head that stays around for a little while.

Aroma: A very light hop nose nice hints of smokiness and chocolate malts which are roasted oh so wonderfully dark.

Taste: A tremendous amount of smokiness come billowing out like smoke from a chimney. It has a lightly crisp mouthfeel yet a nice light bitterness to it. Great hints of chocolate malts top this beauty off very well.

Notes: This one is remarkable. A quintessential brew for a cold night to warm up ones soul so very nicely. Cheers

A - Dark mahogany with a thick head that quickly sinks into the beer, leaving a ton of sticky lacing behind. Not much aroma, but a little malty chocolate and just a hint of smokiness. At first I didn't taste any smokiness at all in this one, so I was quite disappointed. Tasted like an average porter; roasted malt and a slight sweet chocolate flavor. However, as it warmed up a little, the smokiness started to emerge a little bit. The smoky flavor was still not as bold as I expected though, but that's not a bad thing. Excellent, full mouthfeel. Overall, not as bold as I expected, but a really well balanced porter, nonetheless.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Smoked Porter pours deep brown, not quite opaque, with ruby red highlights. Two-inch creamy head dissipates slowly.

Subtle chipotle aroma surrounded by chocolate, a bit of caramel, and plenty of roasty malt.

Excellent balance of roasty bitterness and malty sweetness...no one flavor overpowers another. Smokiness makes itself most known in the finish, especially on exhale.

Lingering bitter aftertaste that's also somewhat sour. Finishes on the thin side.

An easily drinkable beer for the style. The smokiness contributes without dominating. Grab some BBQ to enjoy with this one.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

I've been waiting a while to try this one and I must say that I'm not disappointed - the hype lived up to itself. Holding the glass up to the light reveals a sumptuous dark mahogany colour. There's a good porter aroma with a hint of the advertised smoke. Porters can be smoky even when they're not described as such but this one lets you know it's there without being overpowering. The flavour is pleasantly dry but cut by just a hint of malt. It's a big beer, no two ways about it. Something to round off the night with, like a fine glass of port, but not a session drink. Can't wait to try this one with a good quality cheese.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

I read a few reviews prior to drinking this great brew which helped me interpret its complex delicious tastes.

Firstly I couldn't really detect the smokey part in the taste despite being able to smell smoke-like hints in the aroma. In the end I decided that the slightly alcoholic esters at that are felt towards the end of the swallow was the smokiness intended to be tasted in this beer.

Overall I loved this beer. The roasted malts lent themselves to delectable chocolate and coffee notes like a rich cafe latte. Despite its mouthfeel being on the heavy side (which I like) this bodacious brew was very drinkable.

Thanks Stone Brewing Company for another amazing beer!!!

3.41/5  rDev -15.2%

750 ml bottle ive had around for a little while, time to finally crack this baby open.

A- pours a clear black with a copper red hue through the glass, tufts of brown head on top, built up an inch or so on the pour and left wet thin lacing down the glass.

S- not a fan of this smell, its malty, not much hops (slightly sweet), but it doesnt smell chocolaty very much. has a bit of roasted character, but its relatively weak and not all that impressive.

T- heres a good smooth porter that reminds you of how porters came around. smooth light and clean. chocolatey malty body. not very strong flavor, but solid.

M- light body, light carbonation, pretty smooth all over, slightly creamy body

D- pretty good, idk a little underwhelmed, some of their other stuff is alot better. maybe im just spoiled by having had so much of black hawk porter and smoke on the porter recently

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I picked this up at Thirsty's in York. Put part of the bottle in some burgers marinaded and grilled and reviewed the other portion. Poured chilled into a nonic.

A - Extremely dark brown or mahogany as the ink on the bottle states w/ a 2 finger band of khaki.
The lace clings very well and the porter has a decent garnet amber hue

S - A carmel, toffee, roasted malt scent and dark cherry fruity ester w/ hints of coffee and mild cocoa w/ a fresh juicy hop aroma. The hop scent is both spicy and citrus tinged - a nice mellow toasted/smoked odor accents the roasted malt nose very nicely

M - A sweet feel w/ medium carbonation and bitterness w/ subtle smoky dry texture. The acidity from the hops balances the sweetness and adds complexity to the toasted rich and malty feel

T - Very well blended w/ dark malt thatt has a sweet and juicy taste w/ plum and stone fruit nutty caramel and spiced bread flavors. A light cocoa and smoked flavor adds to the malt roastiness w/ an adequate amount of intensity and flavor that keeps it interesting to the last sip.

D - I love the smoky taste that isn't overdone in this porter. The balance is unusual for Stone's ales, but a welcome trait w/ plenty of fresh hop flavor that lets you know it is a porter from southern California. Possibly in my top 5 Stone ales - I really love a little smokiness in the porter Top notch drinkability I could see myself drinking more of this as the weather gets cooler

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into an Imperial pint glass. Label is classic silk-screened Stone. No visible freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with full five fingers of tan head that settles slowly to about 2.5 fingers. The beer itself is opaque, with just the barest hints of red around the edges.

Smell: Roasted barley aromas mix with bitter hops. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and licorice.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate hits you right upfront. This eases off to flavors of coffee and roasted barley. Mild hop bitterness in the finish, much less than expected from the smell. A long, lingering cocoa powder feeling and taste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is average. Body is unfortunately a little thin, contrary to what your taste buds are telling you.

Drinkability: Good looks and great taste on this one. A little disappointed in the body, but overall, a delicious, dessert like beer.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. Served in a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: A deep dirty brown, but with plenty of garnet hues poking through at the periphery. A light, fairly quickly fading latte colored head leaves some unimpressive lacing in its wake.

Aroma: Smoky, burnt toast, some lighter syrupy brown sugar notes, and a nice hop bouquet - some faint spicy floralness.

Taste: More dark toastyness with a few roasted astringencies coming through, some smooth but lightly bitter chocolate, a dry, grassy roasted coffee note and some light citrus, and a smoky feel and definite peaty, smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, milky, and creamy. A very fine-bubbled mouth on this one makes for a very even feel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, even if you don't like smoked beers (as I don't), because the "smoked" aspect of the Smoked Porter is not its most prominent constituent component - it's merely a nice addition to an already very balanced and drinkable porter. Alcohol is of course also not a factor here. Give it a shot.

3.42/5  rDev -14.9%

22oz bottle, purchased somewhere in Boston for $5. Consumed during the month of its best before date. Pours very dark with minimal head. Nice lacing though. All malt aroma of medium strength. The first sip gives an initial peppery sensation. The peppery sensation remains throughout. Nice malty flavours, with some coffee tastes thrown in the mix.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Purchased a 22oz Bomber from Jungle Jim's in Cincy, OH.

I had read a lot of reviews on this beer so I had high expectations going in, and I ended up a little disappointed. This is a good beer don't get me wrong, but it isn't the big, thick, smokey Porter I had hoped for.
The smoke aspect of this beer is very subtle. It has a slight smoke smell and a very slight smokey flavor. It is a decent porter, certainly not the best porter I've had. It is pretty thin too which was disappointing. I would drink it again, but not at the price tag I paid for it. Maybe it's better on tap.

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

A: I must have got a really carbonated bottle, because mine is really fizzy. Looks like cola. Black, appears opaque. Tan fizzy head.

S: Roasted malt, ash/smoke smell. Similar smell of a cigar, get a hint of licorice.

T: Wow, very good. Smooth, taste is different from the smell. Layers of different flavors - some bitter chocolate, some coffee, and I get a very slight hint of fruit, like cherry. The hops add a bitterness to it, but it isn't overwhelming at all. I like how the different flavors pop in and out on the tongue from sip through aftertaste.

M: Body is a little thin for a porter, but not bad. Very well carbonated.

O: Quite good. Complex, interesting, very delicious taste. Stone are masters at what they do.

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%

I must admit, after drinking an Arogant Bastard Ale more than a few times, I was a bit skeptical about anything that came froma North San Diego Brewery. They all seem to have a very strong hoppy flaver with a lot of bite.
I generally go for the darker more "heady" brews. I generally fall in love with about any beer that laces the glass.
I cracked the lid and took a whiff. Damn it smelled good. I poured it into a tall Pyramid Hefeweizen Ale glass and marveled at how rich and dark it was.
Upon taking a whiff, I was amazed at the nutty , oaky, chocolately flavour. No hoppy/bitter bite. Its somewhat comperable to a nice belgian ale.
It pours smoothly. It has a nice thich head. And it is dark, not like the quadruple filtered watery beer we so often see at the supermarktet.

I would definately drink and recommend this beer to others. Sit back, relax, crack on open. I suggest that you drink it just above room temp.. I promise, there should be no naysayers on this one. Thanks for the time. Ciao

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

This beer poured a deep dark brown and had a nice two finger tan head.

Smells of roasted coffee and a nutty malt.

Rich coffee right up front then fades to the sweet roast. This has some complex undertones that are hard to identify. I'm guessing that the smoked flavor.

Overall this is a good porter, worth trying and I would drink again.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

A - A dense tan head of creamy foam sits solidly atop a pitch black brew that lets no light shine through it. Tons of silky lace is left on the glass, and the lasting power of the head is amazing.

S - Double chocolate chip cookies, oaky wood notes, charcoal, and some really nice "autumn leaf" hop aromas.

T - Woody and tight, with some sweet chocolate chip flavors behind the oily hops and bitter dark chocolate. This manages to remain snappy and hoppy enough to avoid over-taxing the tastebuds with burnt coffee and dark chocolate.

M - Medium bodied with silken carbonation and a bitter burnt finish to top things off.

D - This is a damn fine brew, but I guess I was expecting more complexity. Don't get me wrong, this is complex and tasty, just not to the extent that I was expecting based on the name and the hype.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer is a bit of a puzzler, had some really great qualities and some fairly average ones as well. I will immediately skip to the overall because overall this is a nice porter and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Aroma is medium to mild with scents of chocolate and roasted goodness, it's just too mild to be given a higher score. Great pour one of the best I've seen from a porter. Rich and dark this is a looker good swirling tan head and loads of tacky lacing. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth but lacks a thick creaminess I like to find in a good porter, it does get better as it warms but still doesn't hit the right level. Flavor is real nice. I can smell a bit of the smoked flavor as I drink, my taste buds first pick up on some chocolate and caramel followed with a bitter coffee taste. The smokiness is mild and it hits the back of the throat on the way down leading to a great exhale. A stronger aroma and thicker mouthfeel and we would have a superior porter.

4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer poured with a slight amber tone to a generally dark black appearance. Thick lacing on the sides and overall on the head. Great, literally, smoked aromas but mainly around chocolate, coffee, malt and yeast. Taste is a balanced sweetness with a burnt aspect to the flavors. Good, crisp mouthfeel aids in a refreshing carbonation and extenuating flavoring. Overall, very nice.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

This one poured a very lovely reddish-brown with thick two finger tan head. the head drops to a scant covering after a few minutes, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

I notice a roasted quality in the aroma, as well as some light chocolate notes. I am not, however, picking up any smoked malt aroma.

First sip made me sit back and smile. More flavor than I expected, and there seems to be a lot going on. Definitely a roasted malt presence, with some of the bittersweet chocolate I picked up on in the nose. A faint coffee flavor in there too. I can also taste the smoked malt, but it is not overwhelming, and I would say very balanced. I also taste what I can only describe as a woody flavor, I don't know what that could be, but it is very faint, and doesn't seem out of place. A little hop presence rounds out the flavor somewhat, but this beer seems to lean a bit more in the other direction.
Mouthfeel is smooth, a bit chewy, and somewhat thick.
Overall I would love to drink this throughout an evening, and I will probably do just that in the future, so drinkability is going to be high for me.

Very tasty, and I am going to try Stone's recommendation for a sourdough bread, chunky-style all natural peanut butter, and blackberry preserves sandwich with this porter!

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

I've had this bottle for awhile, and now it's time to try it out in my new Stone glass from my brewery visit :-)

Color is a dark brown, cola-like, but almost no foam. Smells mildly of smoke. Tastes moderately of smoke and licorice. Despite the lack of head, there's a solid amount of carbonation in this. Because it's on the milder side (unlike Alaskan Smoked Porter), this is a very drinkable beer.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Yowza... One of the best beers I've ever tried...

A - Darkest mahogany I've ever seen... Huge fluffy tan head... Very still... Excellent head retention... Covers glass extremely well...

S - Smoke and coffee... Burnt chocolate... Licoroise... Slightly weaker aroma than I expected...

T - Complex yet subtle... Very well done... Choclate... Cherries... Smoke... Coffee... Malt... Hops at finish...

M - Incredible... Rich, creamy, and smooth... Dry on the finish... Everything I expect from a brew... Perfection...

D - A very very drinkable porter... Nothing is overdone... Everything is subtle, which only adds to the richness and complexities... Fantastic... Just a beautiful beautiful beer... One of the best I've ever had...

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Rich Mahogany body with an interesting rich light brown head.

S- Roasted malts and light yeast scent

T- Rich smokey malts, hints of hops, and yeast

M- Rich and thick with fine carbonation that dances on the tongue

D- Very nice porter. I enjoyed the nice balance and refreshing taste. I would deffinitely session this brew.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer pours black with brown hints and a fluffy tan head that holds and laces well. The smell is of burnt chocolate and sweet caramel. Taste is subtle burnt chocolate with roast hints, caramel, and a slight smokiness at the back, certainly not the intense smoke of Alaskan Smoke Porter. Mouthfeel is medium with pleasant carbonation. Overall not smoky enough for a smoke beer and not chocolatey enough for a porter. A decent beer nonetheless, just not my favorite porter or my favorite stone.

3.6/5  rDev -10.4%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing