Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,183 |  Reviews: 1,812
4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

This is a must try. I've only had a few smoked beers, and this one was one of the best so far. It was a dark color as expected from a porter, and a nice rich roasted and smoky flavor that was simply terrific.
The flavor was incredible. You could eat this with cheese, sausage, smoked oysters, steak, and it will just compliment it perfectly. It has a nice smoke flavor that is not just a hint, and not overdone--it was perfectly in balance with the hops and alcohol. The mouthfeel was smooth.
I liked this beer so much, I even bought a stone smoked porter glass. This is one I will eventually try and replicate as a homebrewer.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Eye: Extremely dark brown in color, the highlights that I can see are a russet color, very brown, dark brown red. Head retention is great, it is tan in color and is also creamy in appearance. What can I say, this beer looks good.

Nose: Very potent aroma, right off the bat an astringent black malt and smokey aroma fill the nostrils. In addition to the smoked aroma there is also a very earthy smell to it, much like mulch.

Tongue: Smoke flavor is forefront, and then some chocolate in the back behind that. There is a bitter flavor that lingers on the front of the tongue, which is odd because the tip of the tongue usually picks up sweet flavors. Seems to me to be a hop taste, perhaps its here because the smokey flavor is domination the back sides of the tongue where bitterness is usually picked up. I also get some dark fruits in the taste, slightly behind the chocolate flavor. Also some caramel mingled in there...in the midst of the smokey character. Quite a complex beer, lots of flavor in here. HA usually stone hops the shit out of beer(which I happen to love), well when they have a style that does not lend itself well to hops they just do something else, ie the smoke character. This is an extreme beer, made for those who love extreme beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The beer has a full body, though in my opinion it could be a bit smoother. Higher levels of carbonation lend a rough character to this beer in terms of feel, maybe it would be better if those levels were lower? I can see it pairing much better with a silk pie were they lower, I mean two products both extremely smooth on the palate? it don't get much better than that. This is a beer that I think that I'd have to be in the mood for to buy again, I can really only see drinking on bomber, more than that and it might just be to overwhelming.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark brown color with little head that disappears quickly.

S - Nice smokey smell. It's a really strong smokey smell, it's great.

T - Great smoked flavor with hints of bittersweet chocolate. Good rich flavor.

M - Medium to full bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. I love this porter.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Very deep, almost black mahogany with a long lasting creamy tan head. Head was only about 1 finger thick but my friend dropped the bottle and loosened the cap a little so I lost some carbonation. Good lacing.

S: I am a little stuffy but smell is pleasant with smoky chocolate, coffee, and the slightest hint of black licorice.

T: Dark roasted bitterness. Coffee and chocolate flavors under a mask of smoke. Tastes more like a stout. Has a creamy sweetness that, when combined with the mouthfeel, reminds me of Left Hand Milk Stout for some reason. Very good.

M: Excellent. Fairly light-bodied without being watery and carbonation is perfect. Smooth and refreshing.

D: Very high for me. Offers the complex flavors of a good stout without being thick or overly filling. I love stouts in the winter but this is very satisfying and a nice change. I will purchase this beer again.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a very dark brown with a good thick head.

I'm not getting much out of the smell, but the taste is quite intense. It leaves a very strong taste, full of alcohol flavors, chocolate, and smokiness. Quite good, although I think it is a little too warm right now. I should have let it cool longer.

Overall: An intense porter; another great Stone offering

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Poured into Das Boot! This beer generated a massive head (probably because of Das Boot)! The head remains quite awhile. The color of the liquid is a nice rich, dark brown. The smell as you can imagine is a Smokey, woodsy nose. The taste is nice and Smokey as you might guess. It starts with a nice porter note then an onslaught of Smokey flavors hits the tip of the tongue. The mouthfeel is robust and dry. Its a nice drinkable beer but I could see it leaving many thirsty!

Overall, I really enjoy this beer and its smokey taste. Its a well done porter by a fantatic brewery! Try this beer! Cheers

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

I drank this beer at a brew pub in Easton, Pa called Which Brew. Since porters are what I drink, this beer was right up my alley. I never had this beer before and I must say the taste to me is very inviting, it was smooth to start with a slight bite at the finish. I enjoyed this beer with dessert and went very well with chocolate drizzled cheesecake. I liked the beer so much that I went and purchased it at my local beer distributor. It came in a case of 12- 22 0z. bottles which will last me one long weekend. The 22 0z. bottles is a lot of beer but the beer is so smooth it makes it easy to drink. I also recommend having this beer with a nice T-bone steak and some chocolate fondue for dessert.

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

722 reviews as of this writing. the bottle script has a fun story of this beer not being for everyone and they're fine with that. I guess this puts me in the not quite my type of beer category. a 22oz of this is too much smoke for my taste buds. I'd be curious to try it again at a real barbeque house but otherwise I'll step back and leave it for the real fans. cheers.

a: Brown body with ruby hues, off-white head, good retention and lacing.

s: Smoke and chocolate.

t: Sweet chocolate, smokey malt, toffee, coffee-like bitterness in the finish. Exceptional balance of flavor.

m: Medium to high carbonation, full body, chewy.

d: Balance makes for an easy drinking porter. A very well made smoke beer, the smokiness is definitely there, but it provides a nice addition, rather than being the basis for the brew.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%

Nice, sludgy motor oil look to it; decent head. Smoke scent is subdued; nothing overpowering here. The jerky-ish smoke is woven nicely throughout the malt, but again, the taste of malt and hops is a little subdued in this instance. Well-made stuff indeed, but not necessarily my thing.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Served in a standard pint glass (thanks Stoneman78). Growler opened with a pop and a rush and left some specks of porter on my kitchen ceiling (guess it's fresh :) Poured the color of obsidian, followed by a luscious coffee colored two-fingered head that settled into a quarter-inch consistent layer of foam and ringlets. Lots and lots of lacing; just like drinking a coffee milkshake. Scent of hops, roasted malt and espresso, as well as a lingering smokiness in the nose. Nice mellow taste - unsweetened cocoa, coffee and malt with a slightly hoppy finish. Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel; not too much carbonation. Very sessionable porter.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

I have to say I avoided this beer thinking i wouldn't like it boy was I wrong. Everything I would expect in a porter(chocolate and coffee) a hint of licorice with a touch of German smoke beer. The smoke was not overpowering making this beer suprisingly drinkabile.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

A very strong selection from Rogue - outstanding stuff and a superb representation of the style... Copped a 1pint, 6floz bomber from Total Wine and More in West Orange... one of my favorite brews from Stone... Pours an ebony hue with a dark, tan, frothy head that soon dissipated... aroma was not too apparent, although cocoa and espresso smells were noticeable... flavor is what it was all about with this one... rich, thick, roasted-malt, dark-chocolate taste with a nutty, latte like characteristic... good, solid mouthfeel with excellent drinkability make this a terrific sample and a pleasure to drink... went down very smooth without any bitterness detected... the relatively modest 5.9% ABV also helps with the overall drinkability... great stuff from Stone... Definitely recommended...

From a 22 oz bomber purchased at Mr. Bones in Greensburg.

Pours a near black with an off-white head that has decent retentions. Lacing appears along the the glass and lingers well.

Smell of roasted malts comes through immediately. coffee and some chocolate is also there. Hops give the beer a slight floral aroma. Smokiness is barely detectable through smell.

Tastes of dark coffee with a slightly bitter finish. There is just the right amount of hops in this one. The smoke flavor is not distracting as in other brews and compliments this version of porter very well.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Medium bodied with not too much carbonation. This brew clings to the palate just long enough to get the right amount of smokiness and malts.

At 5.9% abv, this is one of the more sessionable Stone offerings I have had. I could easily have a couple of these with no problems. This would be a good beer to pair with smoked meats and game. This is a natural choice for when I am in the mood for something other than a hop bomb.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Stone seems to be all the rage so I gave the smoked porter a try. Presented in a 22oz bottle.

A - Poured a deep black with a nice frothy head. Lacing was what I expected, as it stuck all the way down the glass.

S - Pretty average I must admit, caramel malts with not a much smokey as I expected. I had to double check the bottle to see if it was a smoked porter, but it was nicely balanced.

T/M - Malty up front with hints of floral hops as it finished. Not too heavy and a bit sweet initially. Smooth finish with nice carbonation, but kinda struck me as average...

D - Overall a very good porter, just not as smokey as I'd a liked. I recommend picking one up if you see it.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade with Tayner..thanks for the great trade

A - Poured dark black with slight red highlights around the edges, poured into a pint tumbler with a nice large brown head that fell slowly and left an impressive mapping around the glass

S - Hint of wood smoke, coffee, fruits and just a tad boozy

T - The taste was very full, had a great coffee flavor along with a hint of raisins or figs and a bit of caramel..and then finishing out with a smoky and hoppy flavor

M - Had a very good feel..coated the mouth and was dry on the palate from the smoke

D - Very good..enjoyed all of it and look forward to the other bomber I have

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

$4.69 at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo.

It pours near black with a few amber glints. The head is small and shortlived but leaves a decent amount of lace behind. The aroma is on the grainy side with some modest dark chocolate and black malt flavors. A subtle smokey feel ads a subtle complexity. The taste reveals dark Belgian chocolate with caramel and cookie dough mixed with a light citrusy hop character. The smoke flavor is light but always noticeable. It mingles with the hefty dark malt and roasted barley flavors, adding an intriguing layer of complexity. The mouthfeel is medium and softly carbonated. Light hop bitterness and a roasty, smokey feel last a while in the finish.

This is a great porter. While relatively light in body, it has loads of different flavors that make every sip novel. Try it if you like porters/stouts.

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%

Deep amber reddish hue surrounds the black color. Tan, somewhat creamy one-finger head, which quickly dissipated.

Absolutely wonderful smell - sweet caramel was the first thing I noticed, followed by black licorice, and as it warmed, noted the charred, smokey wood.

Definite coffee flavor - some hints of irish coffee, with a light smokey aftertaste and a little cherry bite as it warmed.

So smooth, with just the right amount of carbonation. Slight smokey aftertaste on the tongue.

This beer was incredibly drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Stone's description of deep mahogany is pretty accurate. Short, but beautifully brown, medium density head. The nose is very pleasant, primarily a faint licorice smell, perhaps a hint of oak. Mouthfeel is not at all bad, but maybe just a touch watery. No one pervasive taste. Nice, muted malt sweetness balances with a similarly muted hop bitterness. It finishes dry and the bitterness persists. I don't get the chocolate or smoked character that is expected. Easy drinking at 5.9%. Everything combines for an outstanding session beer.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Got this from a 22 oz bomber.

A- comes out essentially just as the bottle said it would and really a pretty porter. Dark, opaque black in the middle with a bit of cherry red highlights on the side and the bottom. A big old frothy, thick cream colored head that rests on top and leaves lacing down the glass. Rather nice to taste.

S - Rather fragrant; pick up notes of coffee mainly with a light hint of chocolate as well. Also, may sound odd but it actually reminds me of beef jerky's odor, which is probably imparted from the smokiness.

T- Can definitely taste some kind of wood smoked through this one as it hits the mouth. Also, kinda sweet as well; mostly molasses coming through and a hint of chocolate as well; also hints of blackberries I would say. Not as coffee tasting as it smells but the smokiness was really a nice attraction that I was not expecting. When I first put it to me lips, I was taken aback because I did not expect it to be as smoky as it was. Not much of an aftertaste really at all and think this has to do with the wateriness of the beer. The more I drink this, the more the water seems to dominate and temper the flavor.

M - Kinda watery in the mouth and little carbonation in this one. At the end there is a little bit of body coming through but on the whole thought this was rather thin. Wish it had some more ummph to it actually. This wateriness actually detracted from the taste in my opinion and stops this from being one amazing brew.

D - an accessible porter that is easy to drink a lot of. Have to like a smoky flavor to like this though would be my only thing. The thinness of the body makes it easy to drink and it is easy to find and not too expensive as it was 5 bucks, which is not too bad for the bomber. I think if it were thicker I would change from a beer that I would buy just to drink and session to one that I would pick to sip and enjoy while reading a book.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a nearly black ruby color with 1 cm off-white/tan head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, and caramel, very slight aroma of smoke. Initial flavor is a little sweet and smoky at the same time. Aftertaste is lasting and dominated by smoke and bitter from coffee or chocolate. Medium bodied, light carbonation, light lacing, and only a hint of alcohol detected. Very drinkable, as both a good porter and smoky beer.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Stoned is the way of the walk. Pours a beautiful black with a one finger head that laces down the pint glass.

Smells of smoked salmon and hops. Normally that's not a turn on, but here, i'll make an exception.

Tastes of beautiful glorious hops, smoked malts, and julie andrews.

Love this beer. Great carbonation, good mouthfeel and ooey goody goodness.

If you love smoke, and you love porters, this is one for you.

4.43/5  rDev +10.2%

Bomber into a pint glass

A: Pours quitre dark, almost black at first. Subsequent inspction reveals that it is ark brown with orange and re highlights.

S: Sweet and inviting. It smells primarily of vanilla and caramel. I was expecting it to smell astringent and smokey, but it did not. Not a bad thing.

T: it tastes really, really good. Roasted malts are in evidence, but Stone Smoked Porter thankfully avoids the usaul pitfalls of a porter by replacing the played-out coffee flavor with ripe dark berry tones. I'm surprised and a little disappointed by the lack of smokiness in this beer. There is a slight smoky finish, that tastes a little leathery, but it's fairly subdued. All the same, this is a very solid porter.

M: Mouthfeel is exceptionally creamy. Full-bodied and smooth.

D: Sure, I could enjoy a few of these.

This is one of the most complex and enjoyable porters I've ever had.

3.01/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 20 oz pint glass.

A. Very dark, black with deep mahogany edges suggesting clarity. Two inch tight, tan head, great stability. Slowly disipates to lace.

S. Slight alcohol, roasted grain and maybe a hint of smoke. All inn all not a very strong nose on this one.

T. Surprisingly empty taste up front. Middle had some roasted grain and some smoke. Aftertaste of hops bitterness, not much though. As the beer warmed these flavors became more evident.

M. Slight carbontation, appropriate for the style. Surprisingly thin considering the style.

D. Drinkable. Overall seemed vacant to me. The framing is up and ready but there is no drywall, much less fittings, paint and furniture... Color me unimpressed.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 22oz. into a pint glass- Deep dark brown/balck color with a perfect tan head. Great head retention. Smells of light smoke, with some malt and hop. First taste is wonderful, filling flavor of dark malts and light smoke. The Smoked flavor is not overdone one bit. Wonderful full, smooth feel in mouth, with a slight bitter finish, which helps flavor keep. Overall another wonderful beer from Stone, and definitely a great porter to session.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing