Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,190 |  Reviews: 1,815
3.7/5  rDev -8%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark brown with a reddish tint. One finger of mocha head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing.

S: Smells of chocolate, coffee with a slight smoky undertone.

T: Tastes of mild chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, slight smokiness, a bit of hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Body is light-medium with an average level of carbonation. Overall this seems a bit thin.

D: Drinkability is pretty good but I expected more smokiness.

Served in a bottle at Idle Hands in New York, NY

A: Pours a clear dark amber to brown in color with some ruby hints when held up to the light. There is a thin off-white head that reduces to a thin ring of bubbles at the edge of the glass. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Roasted and caramel malts followed by a lovely peat smokiness and some hints of sweetness. The smell reminds me a bit of a good scotch.

T: Slight hint of iodine/band-aid from the smoke but that just adds to the flavor in my opinion. Some caramel sweetness but not as much as you might expect from the smell, followed by the peat smokiness, and leave a scotch like flavor on the tongue as a aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly thin.

O: Definitely a really interesting beer with a good flavor but I personally could not drink a whole lot of this one - just doesn't match my palate as well as other smokey beers. Definitely a quality offering from Stone and a good one to sip on.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank 7.19.14, on-tap at Drop Off Service in the East Village.

A: Dark mahogany brown, with a deep red highlights. Thick and creamy one finger head, dark tan in color, fades to a moderate cap. Nice pitting, leaves tons of lace throughout the entire glass.

S: Roasted malt, with undertones of smoke and chocolate/caramel. Fairly hoppy and bitter for a porter, but it works reasonably well.

T: Roasted dark malt dominates, subtle dark fruit flavors, and a lingering smoke flavor. Was really expecting a deeper, more complex taste.

M:Moderate carbonation, fairly thin for a bigger porter (was expecting something more from Stone). Smooth up front, smooth in the middle, and a bitter finish.

O: As a porter alone, it is fine enough...tasty in its own right, but not something I would reach for over Founders/Great Lakes/Deschutes. As a "smoked" porter? I am left underwhelmed. I would have assumed the smoke would be much more robust and ingrained.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Enjoy by date of Feb. 15, 2012. Poured into a goblet.

Bleak, for a porter. Brown and opaque as melted dark chocolate, with perhaps some amber hints at the edges. The half-finger of sand colored head descends to a thin top layer, leaving sticky fingers of lace.

Smells like smoky dark chocolate. I get notes of burnt sourdough bread, earthy hops, hints of raisins and seared pork. In the background is an odd, sourish tang.

Smoke drops in the flavor, replaced by fruit. Dried prune and chocolate syrup are major contributors, with just a touch of smoke. Earthy hops balance the stuff in a surprisingly clean finish.

The velvety medium body is big for a porter, but I like it. Carbonation is moderate, pinching, and creates some silky fizz. Clean, soft bitterness on the sides of the tongue.

Stone’s Smoked Porter isn’t outstanding, but it does display some well-integrated flavors. More like a porter with smoke as an afterthought than a smoked porter.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

The beer has a nice dark color to it when you pour, plus a nicely colored head to accent it. The smell is rather interesting, since I usually don't drink smokey beers. It is lighter than other porters. The taste is good and interesting do to the smoky aspect of it. Worth a try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

Very dark brown, with ruby highlights at the dges, a light tan head that is rather small, showing a decent retention and minimal lacing.
Aroma is rather weak for what I expected, showing some roasted malt notes, chocolate, and if you work hard, perhaps some "smoke".
Light to medium body, it has the expected roasted notes, but mostly chocolate and coffee. Everything not exactly strong or remarkable; a pleasant brew, but in my opinion does not deserve to be called smoked. Subpar for Stone.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Pours a hefty, creamy light brown head atop a very dark body with burnt orange highlights. The aroma is of a sweet base malt, with touches of a blend of smoke and bitter chocolate malts. The body is smooth and a bit lighter than I expected, and the hops bitterness is apparent almost immediately, as the balance is definitely toward the bitter side. The finish is so dominated by a gigantic citrusy hop bite that the smoke and dark roasted malt are difficult to pick out, though they do come through a bit as the hop fades a touch after a long and heavy presence.

This is my first taste of a Stone beer, and after built up expectations from all the hype I've heard, I am sorry to say I'm a bit disappointed. They managed to take a beer that should have multiple levels of interest and effectively squelch most of it with an oppressive hoppiness. That said, perhaps my expectations were just too high -- it's a good beer, and if I'm really looking for a load of hops, I'll look here again. But, in my opinion, for a smoked porter, this is far from well-balanced. The other bottle I bought will live in the cellar for a while, and perhaps the flavors will be perfectly balanced and blended after the hops have some time to fade.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Poured black with chestnut edges. Nice creamy tan head. Good lace. Aromas of roasted malt, chocolate and a subtle sweet smokiness.
Taste of charred malt, chocolate and a tangy hard wood smokiness. The smoke comes through a lot more in the flavor than the smell. The smoke and a hop bitterness lingered on the palate a little longer than I liked. Almost seemed to need a slightly sweet element to balance it out.
Good mouthfeel if not a little thin. The sharp aftertaste hurt the drinkability for me.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This one puzzled me a bit. I'd never had it nor read anything about it, so I wasn't really expecting something quite so stout-like. It was very, very dark, and the head was remarkably tight -- almost nitro-tight -- and dark tan as well. I thought I was looking at more of a stout. The aromas were nice, though I was hoping for just a tiny bit more of a "smoky" aroma. Definitely chocolate and sweet sensations, though. Very full-bodied with some big chocolate flavors. I really enjoyed it and thought it was exceptionally drinkable -- but I wanted intensity, passion, and, goddammit, smoke! Really, it just didn't live up to what I thought a smoked porter from Stone could be -- maybe a bit more lively and with a little more variety in flavors? (Like, you know, actual smoke?)

3.7/5  rDev -8%

A nice darker brown color to the brew. Has a small head to it that goes away at a decent pace.

It smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, and bonfire.

It has a pleasant malt taste to it. Coffee and chocolate up front, with a finish of a nice outdoor wood fire. Yes it taste just like a fire pit smells.

A nice smoothness to the beer and a pleasant amount of carbonation to it.

One bottle would be enough for me for the week, maybe month. I like the taste but just couldn't have it to often. Just not my normal tastes, but a tasty brew none the less.

Out of a bomber.

A - Deep clear brown with ruby highlights. Tan head of about two fingers leaving behind some soap-like lacing.

S - Smoke is a bit subdued in the aroma. Hops are pretty prominent for the style. Plenty of cocoa and a bit of coffee. There is also a very slight waft of caramel.

T - Although not the most dominant taste, I have to mention the smoke as it presented on the palate. It was a very ashy note that briefly appeared up front and lingered with the bitterness in the finish. I really enjoyed the bitterness.

M - Medium. I'd rather this be thicker, but that's a common complaint I have. It's very smooth.

D - This is quite drinkable. The only problem is the ashy flavor. It just seems to get a bit grating as you progress through the glass. The bitterness and hoppiness were appreciated, however.

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: A very dark brown color with two fingers worth of a mocha head from a vigorous pour that fades.
There is a rather nice lacing on it.

S: Brown sugar, chocolate and some coffee. I didn't detect any smokey aroma.

T: Dark chocolate and coffee right up front that transitions into a smokey note that does not linger for too long. A very well balanced malt profile on this one.

M: Body is on toward the heavier side with a low to moderate amount of carbonation.

O: I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one but the smoked flavor was not overdone and gave it a nice balance.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

A difficult beer for me to rate. If I were to rate it just by its porter characteristics (creamy body, subtle roastiness, beautiful coffee, chocolate, hops interplay) it would be over a 4 overall. However, the smoke quality, as subtle as it is, really spoiled it for me. I like smoked beers, and can appreciate using it as an "element" rather than the dominating factor, but the smoke in this beer tasted more like ash. This is still a GOOD beer and it’s very close to GREAT, but that final failing it very frustrating indeed!

3.7/5  rDev -8%

This is one dark porter! A big tan creamy head tops my glass and holds strong. Coco on the nose. Hey what do you know, I smell some smoke as well. Taste is smooth with a slight coffee flavor along with that coco from the nose. Then it gets bitter, not hop bitterness but smoke bitterness which I like. This transition is kinda rough, taking away from mouthfeel and drinkability.

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz Bomber. Surprisingly light cream head, not dark [ish] at all. On the other hand the porter is as dark as it gets, at least with side, back lighting in this room, i can't see through this at all, just some red tinting on the edges of the glassware. Little traces of lace on the way down. This is the "lightest" tasting Stone i can remember [don't remember their Levitation when i tried that before] [and on another note, their Ruination has truly "ruined" me, i need MORE HOPS]
Slight coffee smell. Taste is a nice light porter, with a mild smokey flavor. The aftertaste is like coffee almost, the bitterness present is very light.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a dark brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated at a nice pace leaving some messy foamy lacing all around the glass.
The smell has a light ashy to meaty smokiness to it in the front. After a bit of warming, then there's some subtle roast weaving into the rest of the blend, nice.
The taste was moderately smoky with the roast gently settling back in underneath with a warming subtle sweetness (cocoa bean?, I'm guessing). The aftertaste was really nice as it took the smoke along with the roast and allowed the sweetness to enter in. Gentle dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied and felt like it had more roast than smoke on my tongue, not bad, but wasn't expecting that, different.
Overall, for the most part as someone who used to live in Southeast Alaska, ahem, uh..yeah, when you get the choice of this or Alaskan Smoked Porter, I'm gonna stick with Alaskan's. Sorry, Stone, its still good for the most part.

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a dark black letting almost no light escape through the glass. Nice looking cream colored head which does not dissipate quickly. Smells hopped up and inviting however it doesnt nearly smell like i would expect for how dark it looks. Although the smell was mild, the taste is smoky and reminescant of burnt hops. Very tasty. It has a fairly thick mouthfeel and seems to be carbonated just the right amount, enough to give it a good consictency but not be distracting. It is a pleasure to drink but since it is dark the drinkability suffers a bit, easy to drink one glass but after that it gets harder.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il, served in a shaker pint glass

It pours a very dark brown with a dense cream head. Medium to heavy lacing stuck to the glass sides

The nose has a medium level of dark smoked malts and behind that some nice chocolate smells.

The taste has a pretty typical porter flavors with some chocolate and coffee and then behind that the smoke starts, it's on the low to medium level. i personally prefer when a beer says its smoked for it to bring it and this is more of an approachable smoked beer.

About half way through the sip my mouth seems to dry out. i get this sometimes with some smoked beers. It's really wierd and it's like cottonmouth. It's not a terribly bad thing and pretty subtle but I'd prefer it wasn't there. I don't even have a clue as to what causes it. The carbonation level was too high as well.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Executive Summary: Love 'em or hate 'em, Stone has a balanced lineup - pale and dark, traditional and eccentric. I think they excel at most of what they do, and the Smoked Porter is an example of a solid brew. Not a standout, but they don't all need to be (a la Dogfish Head - don't worry, Sam & Co...you're still one of my favorites). Classic roasted malt flavors and a smooth texture make this a very nice porter.

Appearance: Pours a clean, deep brown/black with ruby accents. Head is coffee ice cream that reduces to a film fairly quickly.

Smell: Roasted malts, a faint hint of the smoke. A little sweeter-smelling than I had expected. I also get a faint whiff of alcohol, which surprises me given the relatively low ABV.

Taste: The sweet, then roasted, then nearly burnt character of the malt is first, accented by the (not in your face) smoky flavor and followed by a crisp hop bitterness. If I didn't know this was a smoked porter, I might not have singled the flavor out. No evidence of alcohol in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Fairly dead-on for a porter. I've said this many times - the mouthfeel is perhaps my favorite porter attribute, because I love me some deep, dark malt, but don't always want the girth that goes with the impy stouts.

Drinkability: This, like many of my favorite porters, scores high on my drinkability scale for three reasons: great roasted flavor, light body and low acohol.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a very dark brown. The head is thick and creamy. It looks brown. It fades very slowly, leaving thick laces. When I hold it up to the light, it has a dark ruby red look to it. It smells smokey, but not not overly smokey. It also has a malty aroma. It has a solid coffee aroma present. The hop aroma is very apparant. It tastes more smokey than the aroma led me to believe. Coffee is also very noticable. It has a sweet caramel like taste to it also, but it is subtle. This beer leaves a smokey taste on the palate. It is slightly aggressive in flavor, I think due to the smoke. It is a little over carbonated. This beer would probably make a bad session beer because it is aggressive and the flavor would get old fast. This is a good beer to have, but not very often.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing