Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Liked:
4/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,191 |  Reviews: 1,815
3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours black leaving some white head that didn't really last long

S: Slight a bit of smoke but not what I would have expected, some malty tones.

T: Some coffee flavor in there, smoke comes through a bit more as it warms but still lacking in my opinion. Has an almost sweet after taste.

M: Medium body with carbonation

D: Not bad but wouldn't be the first beer I reached for when choosing a porter. Lower 5.9% alcohol makes it easy to drink

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Into the Stone Tulip

A - Near black, heavy off white head, aggressive lacing. Head leaves pretty quickly.

S - Best part of this beer. Smoke, coffee and cocoa.

T - Really smoky. Maybe too smoky. Thin in other aspects.

M - Medium body. Decent carbonation. A little thin.

D - Different and fun.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

A- dark brown with somy ruby hues when held up to the light. nice tan head upon initial pour that hangs on for awhile.

S- more malt than anything else; not as much smoke as I was expecting.

T- sweet malt flavors as well as some coffee flavors but not really much smoke is detectable.

M - lighter body for a porter and silky smooth with slight carbonation.

D- for a smoked porter I was a little disappointing but overall not a bad beer, probably classify this as a lighter porter.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Lost Abbey chalice.

A- pours black with a 2 finger tan head. Big trails and blotches of lacing remain on the glass.

S- big chocolate and pine.

T- smoked malt, chocolate, pine.

M- medium body and carbonation. Very easy drinking.

O- good beer, but very one dimensional. All smoked malt, chocolate and pine hops.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to kbnooshay for the bottle.

Pours dark with red highlights. Medium/small sandy colored head. Reduces quickly to a thin cap leaving light lace.

Smells of coffee, chocolate, a sllightly acidic twang and a hint of smoke.

Flavor is malty and a bit medicinal (band aid). Espresso and a little smoke make it interesting. I was expecting more of a wood-fire smoke like a rauchbier, but the smoke character has more of a tobacco smoke quality. Not bad, just different from what was expected; not an unfamiliar combination for me. Nice balance with just a hint of dryness in the finish.

Lighter body for a porter. Good carbonation levels.

Overall it's very good, but I wasn't blown away.

3.67/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, mostly opaque brown with a tinge of amber somewhere in there. Thin head that shrinks into a thin layer but lingers.
S: Smoke, malt, slight chocolate and coffee notes.
T: A truly smokey porter. In an odd way, this reminds me of Bruichladdich's single malt "The Rocks," which is an unpeated Islay. I've had so many porters and expected rich chocolate and coffee that when I got this and tasted mostly smoke, it was like drinking an Islay without peat (which ironically would make it smokey). Chocolate and coffee are here, but definitely subdued. There's some mahogany lingering in there, too. The bottles recommends pairing it with BBQ'd meats. I concur, wholeheartedly.
M: Smooth, moderate carbonation, lingers on the tongue.
O: Pretty good. I've had a lot of the Stone beers in different setting that just aren't appropriate for reviewing. This is my first time really sitting down with the Smoked Porter and I'm pretty pleased with it. Not something I'll go for every time I'm at the bottle shop, but I can't think of many better beers for Fall grilling when there's a slight briskness in the air and a good football game on the tube.

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%

Stone Smoked Porter looks good, but not great. Its head is a little lacking and it's not quite black. Still, it looks like a formidable brew. Big nose of sweet caramel malt, with a bit of wet dog/vegetables. Really doesn't smell like a porter much at all. The flavor, fortunately, is much improved over the smell, with a big smoked flavor, as promised by the title. Still, there's not as much chocolate flavor as I'd like; the main malt character is the almost rotten-sweet caramel, along with licorice as it warms. Good medium mouthfeel. Good beer, but more Smoked than Porter.

Thanks to Px2GrafX for the bottle.

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Poured a very dark brown that you can just barely see through. One finger of tan to light brown head which appears very foamy and fluffy but recedes quickly leaving a fair bit of lacing.

S: Very very subtle smells here, roasted nuts and obviously a bit of smokiness, but I'm not getting much from the smell at all. Maybe it was just my nose at the time.

T: Obviously some smokiness, and woodiness, but it's very subtle as in the smell. I taste light grains and a little bit of floral hops, and some light fruit and candy notes in there also. As with the smell, all the flavors in here seem to be extremely subtle, but very very nice.

M: Light and crisply carbonated, yet heavy and tongue coating enough to get by as a porter. A little light for my taste, but nice.

D: I could drink a bunch of these, and with the price tag there's no reason not to. I'd choose this over a Yuengling Porter any day of the week. Smooth, refreshing, light, yet heavy enough for those who rebel against fizzy yellow beers with multi-million dollar ad campaigns (Please refer to the label on a bottle of Arrogant Bastard)

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a clear dark brown , spider webs lining the glass as I drank it.

This is the smokiest porter I have had to date, I drank it once before , but this one is the smokiest that I remember in aroma of having smelled a porter.

Thick bacon aroma, maybe hickory smoke? and of course malt...
Taste hits me with a bacon smoked taste off the bat, some bitterness and very light hop flavor. Aftertaste is overwhelmingly black patent malt. Slightly too much for my desire, but a nice porter. I need to give credit where the smoke comes into play. Is this a smoke additive? slight bitter twang at the end as well.

Drinkable of course, the body is relatively light compared to Imperial Porters, which this is not.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

01/27/2013
Coffee, dark chocolate, some pepper. dark black; medium head. Very nice smooth porter. Not incredibly smokey, but in my opinion, just enough to make it tastier than it would be otherwise. Medium Body.

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%

I love beers that pour and look like motor oil. The head is thick and sticks to the glass but dissipates quickly. The smell isn't overwhelming, like light roasted coffee that's slightly spicy. Has a silky mouth feel (especially when very cold) and tastes spicier at the back of the mouth as it finishes with a bitter aftertaste. I had this with a slice of 35th anniversary cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and it worked really well by mellowing out the bitterness with the sweetness of the cake.

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%

I have to say that I just love Stone brewery. Everyhing about them from their bottles to their attitude to the way their beer tastes.
Besides all that, I do enjoy your dark stuff, although their Barley Wine is pretty good as is their IPA....anyway...

I was pleased as I poured out this beautifully dark porter into my 20oz. glass. As usual the bottle talks about being worthy and trying new things, so since I already love their other stuff, I figured this would be a good go.

The head came up nice, and dissapated after a few minutes.
The beer is dark, I'm talking black here. None of this Alaskan summer dark, I'm talking middle of the rain forrest, midnight and there's a panther out to get you dark.

Smelling the brew you can smell the hops that they use. Stone? Hops? No!! Ha.. Anyway. Yeah it's a hoppy brew, but all their stuff is, so that wasn't much of a surprise. Smells a little sweet too.

Obviously the first flavor that comes through it the smoke from the malt. It's pleasing and not overbrearing. It feels so good going down too. It's high in alcohol but not anything to worry about. It's thick and like velvet in your mouth. Slight carbonation helps bring out undertones of wood.

The aftertaste is quite smokey, but I suppose that's expected. I'm not a big one for the smoke flavor but this is a good brew. It's tasty, but I am glad that I split the 22 or I would have been on the floor with a smokey taste in my mouth. Not a good way to wake up :)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: dark brown colour, huge cream coloured head

S: red forest fruits, malts, hint of wood and roasted almonds

T: chocolate, smokiness is subdued, hint of blackberry, loads of malts

M: creamy, not a lot of carbonation, smooth

O: this will never be my favourite style, but this isn't too bad, a little bit of smokiness but not too much

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Dark brown hue with a thin, quickly absent tan head. The smoke isn't so subtle to me, it's actually pretty well developped. Very sweet though with lots of crystal? malt making up honey and maple flavors. Subdued hops profile that gain Stone a bit of respect from me. Chocolatey sweet, just very malty altogether and finely balanced once the grassy green hops finally kick in, but it's no standout in my books and is actually a bit watery in the finish. I can definitely see where the brewers are from when they claim this to be their less understood beer though.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Received this via trade, not sure whom now. Possibly Solomon420.

The beer is a nice deep ruby color with a good sized head. The smell is smoke and there is a slight bit more hoppiness that typical of the style. The smokiness is not as evident as others of the style I have. There is also a hint of chocolate malt. The mouthfeel is good but there is just a slight chemical like aftertaste. Overall, a rich beer that is a nice treat.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a very dark brown, near black. 1 finger or less creamy tan head. Soapy lacing with fair retention. Looks like a porter should

S- The highlight IMO. Coffee seems to lead the way. Can tell the smoke level is certainly higher than most as I get a real campfire character from this one. Raw cocoa and an assortment of roasted malts.

T- I can see the aspects of the English porter. Dry throughout. Smoke from peat. Charcoal. Raw coffee and cocoa as nose indicates. Some grain. Lots of bitterness from the chocolate and roasted character. Quite complex. Despite the high IBU level for the style (53), the hop presence seems quite subtle. My only complaint is that the roasted character may go a step to far, bordering on burnt.

M- Mid to mid-full. Perfect carbonation. A little thin. Very dry. Nice drinkability.

O- A smoky take on an English style porter. Something risky and bold as expected from Stone. Not my favorite of their offerings, but still very well done.

Best by 6/14
Consumed on 528

$3.99 for 22oz bottle

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance - Dark brown / black with a nice mocha two finger head.

Aroma - Smoked malts, some coffee and chocolate in the backbone

Taste - A little light for me. Tasted like a light stout with little defining characteristics, was hoping for a deeper rich malty smokiness in it. Still holds up though, some nice coffee and chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel - Thin, decently carbonated.

Overall - not my favorite stone brew but definitely worth a shot!

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a somewhat thick consistency. Had a big, long-lasting, creamy brown head. Very good lacing.

S: Smelled mainly of coffee and malt, with some sugar thrown in for good measure.

T: Flavored with coffee, chocolate, malt and a bit of sugar. Not as complex or flavorful as you'd expect, but decent nonetheless.

M: A fair amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Overall, this is a drinkable beer. I think it's a bit on the overrated side, but it's still a well made beer.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which looks to have decent retention. The head is a light beige while the body is a mix of deep maroon and medium dark chocolate brown that shows a lot of crimson in the light. Considerable lacing is left behind.

Nose- Lacks presence but has some complexity- semi-sweet chocolate with faint hints of roast, nuts, and smoke. Some dark fruits- notably cherries and raisins. Swirling reveal a good amount of coffee with a slight sour note. I certainly wish there was more smoke.

Taste- The front starts off sweet with a blend of semi-sweet chocolate and dark fruits- once again, cherries and raisins. The roasted notes build and express some nuttiness and coffee. Maybe a little bit of wood and smoke around the edges that suggest (to my mind) leather and tobacco. These are definitely not prominent and perhaps not even present but the light wood and smoke notes make me think of them. Much less smoke than I would prefer- chocolate, cocoa, and coffee are the dominant themes. A slight mint note mixed with licorice. The dark fruits run a little vinous and remind me of a thin, red wine. Some pine and resin and a bitterness that recalls a faint bit of earwax. Don't really get any caramel though. The hop notes are much more apparent than I would have expected. It's an above average to good beer but I had wanted to like it more than that. Some notes of tomato mixed with the wood and slight smoke give it a slight barbecue profile. Closer to good than above average.

Mouthfeel- Almost medium bodied with an appropriate amount of carbonation, slight zing. A bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability- Fairly easygoing but a little disappointing in regard to the minor smoke. It seems rauchbiers may have ruined other smoked beers for me. This may be a little cheaper than the standard price for Stone bombers. Probably not a repurchase.

Overall- Almost a solid, good beer. Probably would be just that if it met my expectations for the style. It's still worth a try- after all, it is a Stone beer.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

a: poured from a 22oz. bottle, this brew is predictably dark, virtually opaque in appearance. a decent tan head announces itself and leaves fair lacing...

s: smokey, light chocolate and a bit of burnt malt are discernable

t: smokey, oaked, burnt, light chocolate

m: smooth, dry, and respectable in mouthfeel, with a bit of a smokey aftertaste

d: goes down well and as indicated in other reviews i would imagine this to be a great beverage to accompany a good meal.

salud!

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A deep black color with little to no light filtering through. A very minimal light brown head was poured from the bottle. Minimal carbonation.

S: Lots of roasted flavors with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and burnt notes. Slight smokey smell at the back end.

T: Burnt flavors of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and darker flavors of licorice or almost a a tar flavor. Very bitter with a slight hint of smoke on the finish. Not nearly as smokey as I would have liked.

M: Heavy, oily and bitter. The flavors just linger on in your mouth but they are not all pleasant.

D: For me this was low. The heavy mouthfeel just starts to weigh on you by the end of the bottle and the bitterness just seems to take over. More bitter as it warms also.

Overall this was a solid porter, but didn't have enough smokey flavor for me. If I want to drink a smoked porter, I want to taste the smoke. I think Stone could have somehow made this beer more drinkable somehow.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing