Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,190 |  Reviews: 1,815
2.84/5  rDev -29.4%

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.85/5  rDev -29.1%

A ridiculous amount of carbonation translated into a ridiculous amount of foam (hard to call 4 3/4" of foam poured gently into a 5" high glass, head). I could feel very little carbonation from the glass, all wasted in foamy head, and had to drink straight from the bottle to get a feel for how much carbonation was present. It tasted better after the carbonation loss, not a great flavor, earthy. I could not find any chocolate, anywhere. I generally like Stone products, but this is a very pedestrian effort. To be honest, I can't believe this is the same beer that the majority of other reviewers rated! Maybe I just got a hold of a bad bottle, but usually that is indicated by too little carb, not too much. Not horrible, but definately disappointing.

2.86/5  rDev -28.9%

Where's the smoke. Warning this is not a smoked porter, more like a sweet malty oak porter. I has a great thin black body with a good off-white head. But the smell is of a sweet porter or stout, no smoke. Mostly just a good porter but mostly just blah for a smoked porter. Smoke, I think not hence the taste suffers, just call it a porter and let it ride.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

I tried this over and over withe same results

Decent beer but it tastes like imitation smoke and has thin mouth feel but that is just my opinion

2.9/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice big head that falls fast leaves a thin layer of head with a pretty strong lacing. The color is black with dark brown color and an almost red color when the light shows through. The smell is smokey with a slight roasty character. This taste is very smokey, with very little roastiness, I sense very little characteristics of porter besides them, not that's there's many more. The mouthfeel was smooth and nice. Overall I don't see myself drinking much more of this. I may try again later.

2.9/5  rDev -27.9%

A - Pours solid brown with a thick foamy head that stays throughout the glass.

S - sweet and smokey - thats it

T - holy liquid smoke! Strong smoke, roasted malts and a spicy finish

M - Highly carbonated and thin bodied

D - With such a strong smoke taste one is enough.

2.9/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I did not enjoy this beer at all. Strong off flavors. Maybe it was an off bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -27.1%

I had a taster of this after a tour of the brewery. This beer is pretty decent, though it pales in comparison to Alaskan's Smoked Porter, which I happened to have had the night before.

It looks like most any porter, though notably - like all of Stone's beers - crystal clear. It feels more watery than I'd like my Porter, however.

The smoked character is the standout of both the taste and aroma, but it has a ham-like quality that I try to avoid in smoked beers. I would have used a similar amount of a more well-rounded smoked malt. More smoke, less meat.

2.94/5  rDev -26.9%

I was very excited to try this beer after a local brewery had a smoked IPA... I wanted more smoke! I love Stone so I figured this would be a good place to start...

Appearance is dark... basicly black juice.
Smell is chocolate/coffee/roast
I'm working on a bomber now, and at first I had maybe half a finger of head in my sniffer glass. But on my thrid (and final) pour I have zero head. My beer honestly looks like a glass of ink. Also, zero lacing. The head bubbled out like a glass of diet coke.

Taste is a let down, I was expecting smoke.. I got zero smoke. Maybe my taste buds suck, but I'm being honest here, I didn't taste smoke! Ok maybe a little.. if I imagine it.
Other then that its a pretty mild porter. Chocolate/coffee with a mix roasted malts.

Mouthfeel is blah, not smooth, not rough. The roast sticks around on the tongue like you'd expect from a porter or stout.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer.. Its a good solid porter, and nothing more. But sadly my expectations were let down. I was expecting a "Big beer" from stone, with lots of smoke. I want an imperial smoked porter that tastes like i'm eating some smoked ham!
Prost!

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

The aroma is about what I expected. It's smokey, toasty, malty, nutty, and mildly alcoholic. The appearance is red/brown with a nice foamy head. The taste is like the aroma with a bitter finish. The palate is OK but not as thick as I was hoping for. Overall it's pretty good for a smoke but I don't really like it.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

The best part's the appearance - it's beautiful. The consistency and mouth-feel are also top-notch per the style, but this one's got me pretty overwhelmed by a mad flavorlanche.

If Stone gave us Arrogant Bastard Ale, this one must be Pissed-Off Porter. Talk about a dark, smoky, estertastic bully slapping my girly mouth. I can't imagine drinking more than one.

I'm in no way objecting to the quality of this brew, though. The ingredients are there, the brewing's there - it's just a pumped up version of the style that's not my thing.

Anyway, extra credit for being from my hometown of San Diego!

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

Stone's contribution to the world of extreme, or rather, offbeat porters is near-black in color with a creamy, off-white head. There are muted aromas of chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper. This is an extremely dry and bitter porter, with little malt sweetness to match the hop presence and dry, smokiness. The smoke flavors, though advertised as central, are really only second thoughts--complements to an otherwise typical robust porter. I could have handled more smoke, more sweetness, and more pronounced aromas all around.

I love the mouthfeel of this brew: it is dry, powerful, and heavy--something that really lives up to the 'robust' moniker. Unfortunately, the sacrifice for such a palate-challenging brew comes in drinkability. It's for sipping, remote from the industrial, quaffable origins of this style.

Overall, this is a tasty, spicy porter that is most notable for its rough-textured mouthfeel and lack of drinkability. If you want a really "smoky" porter, stick with something else (Left Hand's Smokejumper comes to mind).

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing