Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,198 |  Reviews: 1,816
3.68/5  rDev -8%

Purchased a 22oz Bomber from Jungle Jim's in Cincy, OH.

I had read a lot of reviews on this beer so I had high expectations going in, and I ended up a little disappointed. This is a good beer don't get me wrong, but it isn't the big, thick, smokey Porter I had hoped for.
The smoke aspect of this beer is very subtle. It has a slight smoke smell and a very slight smokey flavor. It is a decent porter, certainly not the best porter I've had. It is pretty thin too which was disappointing. I would drink it again, but not at the price tag I paid for it. Maybe it's better on tap.

4.32/5  rDev +8%

A: I must have got a really carbonated bottle, because mine is really fizzy. Looks like cola. Black, appears opaque. Tan fizzy head.

S: Roasted malt, ash/smoke smell. Similar smell of a cigar, get a hint of licorice.

T: Wow, very good. Smooth, taste is different from the smell. Layers of different flavors - some bitter chocolate, some coffee, and I get a very slight hint of fruit, like cherry. The hops add a bitterness to it, but it isn't overwhelming at all. I like how the different flavors pop in and out on the tongue from sip through aftertaste.

M: Body is a little thin for a porter, but not bad. Very well carbonated.

O: Quite good. Complex, interesting, very delicious taste. Stone are masters at what they do.

4.64/5  rDev +16%

I must admit, after drinking an Arogant Bastard Ale more than a few times, I was a bit skeptical about anything that came froma North San Diego Brewery. They all seem to have a very strong hoppy flaver with a lot of bite.
I generally go for the darker more "heady" brews. I generally fall in love with about any beer that laces the glass.
I cracked the lid and took a whiff. Damn it smelled good. I poured it into a tall Pyramid Hefeweizen Ale glass and marveled at how rich and dark it was.
Upon taking a whiff, I was amazed at the nutty , oaky, chocolately flavour. No hoppy/bitter bite. Its somewhat comperable to a nice belgian ale.
It pours smoothly. It has a nice thich head. And it is dark, not like the quadruple filtered watery beer we so often see at the supermarktet.

I would definately drink and recommend this beer to others. Sit back, relax, crack on open. I suggest that you drink it just above room temp.. I promise, there should be no naysayers on this one. Thanks for the time. Ciao

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

This beer poured a deep dark brown and had a nice two finger tan head.

Smells of roasted coffee and a nutty malt.

Rich coffee right up front then fades to the sweet roast. This has some complex undertones that are hard to identify. I'm guessing that the smoked flavor.

Overall this is a good porter, worth trying and I would drink again.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

A - A dense tan head of creamy foam sits solidly atop a pitch black brew that lets no light shine through it. Tons of silky lace is left on the glass, and the lasting power of the head is amazing.

S - Double chocolate chip cookies, oaky wood notes, charcoal, and some really nice "autumn leaf" hop aromas.

T - Woody and tight, with some sweet chocolate chip flavors behind the oily hops and bitter dark chocolate. This manages to remain snappy and hoppy enough to avoid over-taxing the tastebuds with burnt coffee and dark chocolate.

M - Medium bodied with silken carbonation and a bitter burnt finish to top things off.

D - This is a damn fine brew, but I guess I was expecting more complexity. Don't get me wrong, this is complex and tasty, just not to the extent that I was expecting based on the name and the hype.

3.72/5  rDev -7%

This beer is a bit of a puzzler, had some really great qualities and some fairly average ones as well. I will immediately skip to the overall because overall this is a nice porter and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Aroma is medium to mild with scents of chocolate and roasted goodness, it's just too mild to be given a higher score. Great pour one of the best I've seen from a porter. Rich and dark this is a looker good swirling tan head and loads of tacky lacing. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth but lacks a thick creaminess I like to find in a good porter, it does get better as it warms but still doesn't hit the right level. Flavor is real nice. I can smell a bit of the smoked flavor as I drink, my taste buds first pick up on some chocolate and caramel followed with a bitter coffee taste. The smokiness is mild and it hits the back of the throat on the way down leading to a great exhale. A stronger aroma and thicker mouthfeel and we would have a superior porter.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%

The beer poured with a slight amber tone to a generally dark black appearance. Thick lacing on the sides and overall on the head. Great, literally, smoked aromas but mainly around chocolate, coffee, malt and yeast. Taste is a balanced sweetness with a burnt aspect to the flavors. Good, crisp mouthfeel aids in a refreshing carbonation and extenuating flavoring. Overall, very nice.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

This one poured a very lovely reddish-brown with thick two finger tan head. the head drops to a scant covering after a few minutes, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

I notice a roasted quality in the aroma, as well as some light chocolate notes. I am not, however, picking up any smoked malt aroma.

First sip made me sit back and smile. More flavor than I expected, and there seems to be a lot going on. Definitely a roasted malt presence, with some of the bittersweet chocolate I picked up on in the nose. A faint coffee flavor in there too. I can also taste the smoked malt, but it is not overwhelming, and I would say very balanced. I also taste what I can only describe as a woody flavor, I don't know what that could be, but it is very faint, and doesn't seem out of place. A little hop presence rounds out the flavor somewhat, but this beer seems to lean a bit more in the other direction.
Mouthfeel is smooth, a bit chewy, and somewhat thick.
Overall I would love to drink this throughout an evening, and I will probably do just that in the future, so drinkability is going to be high for me.

Very tasty, and I am going to try Stone's recommendation for a sourdough bread, chunky-style all natural peanut butter, and blackberry preserves sandwich with this porter!

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%

I've had this bottle for awhile, and now it's time to try it out in my new Stone glass from my brewery visit :-)

Color is a dark brown, cola-like, but almost no foam. Smells mildly of smoke. Tastes moderately of smoke and licorice. Despite the lack of head, there's a solid amount of carbonation in this. Because it's on the milder side (unlike Alaskan Smoked Porter), this is a very drinkable beer.

4.43/5  rDev +10.8%

Yowza... One of the best beers I've ever tried...

A - Darkest mahogany I've ever seen... Huge fluffy tan head... Very still... Excellent head retention... Covers glass extremely well...

S - Smoke and coffee... Burnt chocolate... Licoroise... Slightly weaker aroma than I expected...

T - Complex yet subtle... Very well done... Choclate... Cherries... Smoke... Coffee... Malt... Hops at finish...

M - Incredible... Rich, creamy, and smooth... Dry on the finish... Everything I expect from a brew... Perfection...

D - A very very drinkable porter... Nothing is overdone... Everything is subtle, which only adds to the richness and complexities... Fantastic... Just a beautiful beautiful beer... One of the best I've ever had...

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Rich Mahogany body with an interesting rich light brown head.

S- Roasted malts and light yeast scent

T- Rich smokey malts, hints of hops, and yeast

M- Rich and thick with fine carbonation that dances on the tongue

D- Very nice porter. I enjoyed the nice balance and refreshing taste. I would deffinitely session this brew.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer pours black with brown hints and a fluffy tan head that holds and laces well. The smell is of burnt chocolate and sweet caramel. Taste is subtle burnt chocolate with roast hints, caramel, and a slight smokiness at the back, certainly not the intense smoke of Alaskan Smoke Porter. Mouthfeel is medium with pleasant carbonation. Overall not smoky enough for a smoke beer and not chocolatey enough for a porter. A decent beer nonetheless, just not my favorite porter or my favorite stone.

3.6/5  rDev -10%

I don't have massive porter experience, but I am a huge Deschutes Black Butte Porter fan, and after grabbing a 12-pack of that at Bevmo I decided to throw a pounder of Stone's Smoked Porter into the basket. I love Stone's IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard... so I figured what the heck.

A - Not a huge head, but did get some nice protein lacing on the way through. Less opaque than Black Butte.

S - Burnt alcohol, a little malt?

M - A little more "watery" than I've used to.

T - Wood, black cherry, burnt alcohol.

D - This was a one-timer for me, although it wasn't painful by any means.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%

Insanely black pour with the slightest mohagony shades fading on the edges of the tulip. The head is tan, gooey, and retains flawlessly. Definitely representing Stone quality before I can take my first sip.

Aromas are light. A little malt, bean, and smokiness come to mind.

Deep sensations of dark cocoa/chocolate and light coffee bean to the palate. The porter finishes with more of a bitter high-note and hair of that smokiness trailing. The creamy, delicious texture pairs well with the flavorful personality of the Smoked Porter.

The dancing carbonation paired with the brews creamy-smooth feel and intense flavor essentially block dopamine receptors in your brain.

I thought it would make for a nice dessert brew or paired with exotic chocolates.

Hail Stone Brew!

4/5  rDev 0%

got this one as a bonus in a recent trade with Mebuzzard. thanks jason! re-reviewing with a bottle i got from Lupe as part of the 80s BIF. thanks jason!

22oz bottle.

pours very dark red-brown with a big light tan head. drops fairly fast but leaves lots of spotty lace behind.

aroma is good. light roast. bit of dark chocolate. coffee. milk chocolate. toasted whole wheat bread. biscuit. bit of alcohol. slightly fruity too. light smoke.

taste is good. light roast. bit of dark chocolate. milk chocolate. light bitterness. bit of coffee. very light smoke. toasted whole wheat bread and biscuits. medium-low bitterness level. touch of dark fruit.

mouthfeel is good. medium body with a nice medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. a balanced and enjoyable beer. glad i got a chance to re-evaluate this one as my previous bottle was definitely past its prime.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

A hell of a barbeque. Main dish? Chocolate, hot off the hickory smoke. A side of irish soda bread with a dash of charcoal. A tall glass of cocoa cola syrup with an order of tips and bits. A Midwest must have. Garnish this Porter with fresh caught Crappie and grade A crappers. Bon Appetit!

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

A pretty good smoked porter. By looks alone it may seem as scary as the gargoyle on the front of the bottle but upon first sip you realize that this brew may not be as aggressive as it seems. Although malty, the taste is a little on the bland side but that isn't a terrible thing. Because the taste is so acceptable it makes for a great mouthfeel. You don't ever get the urge to just drink this fast. This beer doesn't attack you, it's much more like a neutral country allowing the invading army to pass through to get to the real battles. Highly drinkable over a period of time and smokey enough to enjoy; the only downfall lies in the unexpected knockout punch that never comes. This is just another example of thinking your opponent hits harder than you do but comes up short.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Pours a clear but very, very dark red/brown with a giant head of creamy tan foam.

S - Smoky, charcoal character is immediately evident, backed by some dark fruit, molasses, grassy hops.

T - Sweetness up front, with a mild smokiness and a light hoppy finish. Mix of dark chocolate and molasses in the middle.

M - Fairly heavy body, moderate carbonation.

D - Was expecting much more intensity in the flavours than I got. Overall balance is quite good, with nothing overwhelming.

3.11/5  rDev -22.3%

Let me start by saying that I am not a big fan of smoked beers and when I do have one, it is usually a hybrid.

A- Dark as dark is. Poured into a wine tasting glass, this had a nice head that was fine to drink through.
S- Not much of a nose, which surprised me for a smoked ale.
T- While there wasn't much smoke in the aroma, it was strong in the taste.
M- If I am getting that much smoke in the taste, I would like more malt body to bring it together.
D- I didn't even make it through a 4 ounce taste.

If you ever have the chance, try the brandy aged version of this. That is a world better.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A deep black color with little to no light filtering through. A very minimal light brown head was poured from the bottle. Minimal carbonation.

S: Lots of roasted flavors with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and burnt notes. Slight smokey smell at the back end.

T: Burnt flavors of coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, and darker flavors of licorice or almost a a tar flavor. Very bitter with a slight hint of smoke on the finish. Not nearly as smokey as I would have liked.

M: Heavy, oily and bitter. The flavors just linger on in your mouth but they are not all pleasant.

D: For me this was low. The heavy mouthfeel just starts to weigh on you by the end of the bottle and the bitterness just seems to take over. More bitter as it warms also.

Overall this was a solid porter, but didn't have enough smokey flavor for me. If I want to drink a smoked porter, I want to taste the smoke. I think Stone could have somehow made this beer more drinkable somehow.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

A: Pours a deep dark flat black hue with hints of ruby-brown showing thru. The head is big bold and rocky. Excellention retention with nice sheet lacing.

S: Nice blast of roasted malt. There are hits of smoke, chocolate, coffee, and more smoke.

Taste: Robust smoked malts up front with hints of chocolate coming thru. Tinges of bitter coffee come thru somewhere in the middle and is finishes with a nice blast of smoke.

M: Medium to full bodied with a nice amount of bitterness in the finish.

D: One of the more drinkable smoked beers out there.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

Poured a very dark brown/black with red-orange highlights. Pillowy light tan one and a half finger head.

Aromas is pretty mild but includes chocolate, coffee, some fruitiness, and a hint of smoke.

Flavors of chocolate, coffee, some caramel. Finishes with smokiness reminiscent of charred wood and some hop bitterness. Nice full malty flavor balanced nicely.

Very smooth mouthfeel, medium body, good level of carbonation.

Definitely enjoyed this one, but it is a bit heavy and not really something that I would want to drink a lot of. A bomber was definitely plenty.

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Poured from the 22oz. bomber into a large snifter. The beer is a dark brown, almost black color. Head was 3 fingers thick, tan, and had pretty good retention.

Smell: Very thick and malty with roasted coffee coming through and hints of smoke in the finish. Semisweet notes throughout, almost like dark chocolate, but smoke covered up most of the aroma.

Taste: Roasted malts throughout with taste of black coffee and semisweet chocolate dominating. Meaty flavor, almost like smoked sausage, noticeable in the midpalate. Finishes smooth with more smoky character, but also a noticeable semisweet depth.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Medium to full-bodied.

Drinkability: Got through the whole bomber, but it started to become heavy towards the end.

3.91/5  rDev -2.3%

A- Very dark. Hard to even see the ruby red when up against the light. A small off-white/brownish head and leaves little lace.

S- smoke and sweet. maybe a hint of chocolate sweet. I think this will improve as it warms...

T- smokyness hits you in the back of the throat. A small amount of sweetness too. Some roasted coffee characteristics as well.

M- Some aftertaste mostly in the smoke in the back of your throat. Some roast as well. Finishes roasty kind of like a coffee. Not too much carbonation. really nice

D- Very enjoyable, but I don't know I can really enjoy more than 1 22oz bomber in a nite to make it sessionable. Not too much alcohol, but I think the next bottle wouldn't be appreciated as much.

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%

A: A thin layer of head forms and rapidly dissipates leaving no lacing. The beer is a slightly opaque dark brown.

S: Smoke is readily apparent on the nose, floating on top of dark toffee and burnt toast aromas.

T: Hints of smoke flavor reminiscent of good bacon, moderate hop bite shows up late.

M: Thin and a bit undercarbonated. Not nearly enough body for a porter.

D: I could smell this one all day long, but it's just not as tasty as the aroma might lead you to believe.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing