Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter
4/5
Exceptional
Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,194 |  Reviews: 1,816
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

The Smoked Porter head was average, light brown and lasting. Color was dark amber, reddish-brown. Body was pretty clear.

Aroma: Average to heavy malt presence with a toasted chocolate cereal. Some hops thrown in there. Some yeastiness, smoke and charcoal.

On the palate, there was medium body, creamy texture and soft carbonation.

The flavor tended to have an average duration, moderately sweet and moderately acidic.

Great on the list of Smoked Porters. Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured this beer from the bottle into my tasting glass....Dark, good 1.5" head that dissipates to .5" after a couple of minutes. The nose is initially you get the smokiness of the beer and deeper in you get the classic porter notes of mocha and fruit cake. If I were to mention smoked salmon, mocha, and fruit cake to someone, they would probably say yuck, but it really works in this beer. Pretty well balanced tasted, with a nice smoky and bitter type finish. The mouthfeel is big and creamy, very good. The drinkability is pretty good as the alcohol content isn't too strong.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

A-Nice dark, dark amber color when put up to a light, a little darker than other Porters I think, minimal head and lacing.

S-Subtle smoke aroma with sometype of fruitiness in there.

T-The taste didnt blow my mind or anything, about what I expected, you can taste the smokiness but its not overpowering, and maybe its just me but the alcohol seems to be more prevelant than I would like.

M-Thick and creamy

D-Easily a good drinkable beer, goes down pretty smooth and the palate is not overpowered by the smoke.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours an appropriately inky black. Head is strangely light colored for the style, a sort of mauve, and there's a lot of it. Good stick, but the cap doesn't retain terribly well.

Aroma and flavor of appropriate gravity; mainly sticking with roasted character and emphasizing the charred malt. There's less of it on the nose, but what's there is very pleasant.

The flavor is nicely fleshed out, but somehow just slightly thin, or lacking in something or another. Bitterness is just fine, finish is a little bit acrid, but you run that risk with a smoker.

Overall, a very standard smoked porter, above average for an American Porter. As usual with Stone, delightfully made and spot-on for style.

4/5  rDev 0%

I was pleased to find this on tap at the Tap House in Hampton, as it is one of the few "regular" Stone offerings I've never tried, along with the Levitation. Served in a standard pint glass.

A - Dark coloration, low bit of froth, decent retention, laced rather well.

S - Malty aroma, sweet and smokey.

T - Well they really did smoke this porter, it has some significant smoke characteristics that are damn tasty. Very well rounded, sweet dark malts with the signature bite of Stone hop content.

M - Medium body, low carbonation, smooth going down with a hoppy dry finish.

D - Pretty good overall, definitely more sessionable than most of Stone's offerings, and that's not a bad thing. Balanced and tasty brew, one that I will revisit and recommend.

4.6/5  rDev +15%

On tap in pint glass.

A: Dark dark brown with 2 finger head and awesome lacing.

S: Coffee hardwood charcoal. Piney hops.

T: The pine resin orange rind hops mixed with the malts give this beer a mellow espresso flavor. End nice and dry. This beer is really good.

M: Medium to full bodied.

D: Rather stout, but still very drinkable. I had this with fried and breaded cube steak mashed potatoes and Cajun corn. Went awesome with this Southern fare. Almost perfect beer! drink it!

4.26/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle with the usual Stone gargoyle and writing about the beer on the back.

A: Pours black, though not pitch black, it does let a bit of light through. Two-finger tannish head that sticks around and clings.

S: Not much going here except for the malts, and not carrying that strongly.

T: Nice. Smoked malts come through first, with a bit of chocolate, coffee, and hops mixed in.

M: Medium-bodied, carbonation just right.

D: Very drinkable- I kind of wish I'd kept the whole bomber instead of splitting it.

Overall an excellent porter from a brewery that has yet to disappoint.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: It poured a very dark brownish/black color that some reddish tints when held up to the light. A nice dark tan head formed and left a lace of foam on the glass.

Smell: As soon as I poured it into the glass, I could smell the smoked malt. That pretty much drowned everything else out and that was all I could smell. I might have served this beer a little too cold which would mask some of the flavors. I'll have to revisit this one.

Taste: The smoked malt was the most prevelant and obvious flavor given the name of the beer. I though Stone did a good job of still have the "regular" malt flavor come through and mix with the smoked, but the smoked flavor overpowered anything else.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was the first thing that I noticed. It was very smooth and didn't overpower like i was expecting after the first sip. It was gone as quick as it came in.

Drinkability: Overall, I think this is a good beer. Something I'll probably keep in my fridge, but possibly in small quantities. The smoked flavor started to bother me a little towards the end of the beer. I think I could enjoy one or two of these in a session and then have to move on. I started to think about an odd analogy for this...so here it is...but i warned you, it's odd. It's like when you meet this hot girl who smokes. The sex will probably be great, but she'll taste like an ashtray...I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Hey....at least you got laid!! :-)

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle purchased from La Jolla BevMo. Poured into the trusty ole Guinness shaker pint (someone buy me a tulip).

A: Looks black. Only when held directly up to light can you see subtle shades of ruby peering through the glass. Lovely big head foams up, sticks around for the duration as more than adequate lacing.

S: I am going to avoid the typical "smokey smell" diatribe. It does smell good though. A little vanilla, a lot of coffee, maybe some smooth caramel too.

T: A tangy bit more bittersweet than I anticipated. Sits well on the tongue however, and by the end is more smooth by half.

M: A little more carbonated/bubbly on the tongue than I would have preferred. Doesn't detract too much from an otherwise excellent porter though.

D: Could easily finish a bomber myself. *hic* Absurdly low ABV compared to some of the monsters I've had recently.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

This was poured from the bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A - deep dark, nearly opaque, amber color with a thick foamy head that settles somewhat but is otherwise well retained; leaves a nice lacing also

S - smokey, chocolately grain scents dominate the aroma, almost no hops present, very clean

T - like the aroma, rich roasted and smoked grain character with chocolate and 'camp-fire' like notes; nearly no hops present, but finishes somewhat dry and nicely balanced

M - medium-light body with moderate carbonation

D - This is a really good smoked porter. I fell in love with smoked beers a couple years ago, and this doesn't disappoint. Did I expect any less from Stone?

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours with a coke colored head that retains well and leaves some occasional lacing. The beer itself move from a dark black approaching brown to a lighter caramel colored brown along the sides of my glass.

Smells of caramel, dark fruits and a well placed smokiness. The smoke doesn't overwhelm like a Rauchbier, but complements and blends in with the other tones.

Tastes of chocolate, which gives way to a drying smoky finish. It's difficult to say where the smoke flavor ends and the hops begin as they meld seamlessly in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel comes off a little thin and watery. Somewhat lifeless compared to the beer itself. This a very drinkable and unique porter. After the initial glass new flavors and subtleties continue to emerge. The smoke flavor is not the centerpiece, but acts as a complement to a fine porter.

4.82/5  rDev +20.5%

This is a must try. I've only had a few smoked beers, and this one was one of the best so far. It was a dark color as expected from a porter, and a nice rich roasted and smoky flavor that was simply terrific.
The flavor was incredible. You could eat this with cheese, sausage, smoked oysters, steak, and it will just compliment it perfectly. It has a nice smoke flavor that is not just a hint, and not overdone--it was perfectly in balance with the hops and alcohol. The mouthfeel was smooth.
I liked this beer so much, I even bought a stone smoked porter glass. This is one I will eventually try and replicate as a homebrewer.

4.28/5  rDev +7%

Eye: Extremely dark brown in color, the highlights that I can see are a russet color, very brown, dark brown red. Head retention is great, it is tan in color and is also creamy in appearance. What can I say, this beer looks good.

Nose: Very potent aroma, right off the bat an astringent black malt and smokey aroma fill the nostrils. In addition to the smoked aroma there is also a very earthy smell to it, much like mulch.

Tongue: Smoke flavor is forefront, and then some chocolate in the back behind that. There is a bitter flavor that lingers on the front of the tongue, which is odd because the tip of the tongue usually picks up sweet flavors. Seems to me to be a hop taste, perhaps its here because the smokey flavor is domination the back sides of the tongue where bitterness is usually picked up. I also get some dark fruits in the taste, slightly behind the chocolate flavor. Also some caramel mingled in there...in the midst of the smokey character. Quite a complex beer, lots of flavor in here. HA usually stone hops the shit out of beer(which I happen to love), well when they have a style that does not lend itself well to hops they just do something else, ie the smoke character. This is an extreme beer, made for those who love extreme beer.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The beer has a full body, though in my opinion it could be a bit smoother. Higher levels of carbonation lend a rough character to this beer in terms of feel, maybe it would be better if those levels were lower? I can see it pairing much better with a silk pie were they lower, I mean two products both extremely smooth on the palate? it don't get much better than that. This is a beer that I think that I'd have to be in the mood for to buy again, I can really only see drinking on bomber, more than that and it might just be to overwhelming.

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice dark brown color with little head that disappears quickly.

S - Nice smokey smell. It's a really strong smokey smell, it's great.

T - Great smoked flavor with hints of bittersweet chocolate. Good rich flavor.

M - Medium to full bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. I love this porter.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Very deep, almost black mahogany with a long lasting creamy tan head. Head was only about 1 finger thick but my friend dropped the bottle and loosened the cap a little so I lost some carbonation. Good lacing.

S: I am a little stuffy but smell is pleasant with smoky chocolate, coffee, and the slightest hint of black licorice.

T: Dark roasted bitterness. Coffee and chocolate flavors under a mask of smoke. Tastes more like a stout. Has a creamy sweetness that, when combined with the mouthfeel, reminds me of Left Hand Milk Stout for some reason. Very good.

M: Excellent. Fairly light-bodied without being watery and carbonation is perfect. Smooth and refreshing.

D: Very high for me. Offers the complex flavors of a good stout without being thick or overly filling. I love stouts in the winter but this is very satisfying and a nice change. I will purchase this beer again.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours a very dark brown with a good thick head.

I'm not getting much out of the smell, but the taste is quite intense. It leaves a very strong taste, full of alcohol flavors, chocolate, and smokiness. Quite good, although I think it is a little too warm right now. I should have let it cool longer.

Overall: An intense porter; another great Stone offering

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into Das Boot! This beer generated a massive head (probably because of Das Boot)! The head remains quite awhile. The color of the liquid is a nice rich, dark brown. The smell as you can imagine is a Smokey, woodsy nose. The taste is nice and Smokey as you might guess. It starts with a nice porter note then an onslaught of Smokey flavors hits the tip of the tongue. The mouthfeel is robust and dry. Its a nice drinkable beer but I could see it leaving many thirsty!

Overall, I really enjoy this beer and its smokey taste. Its a well done porter by a fantatic brewery! Try this beer! Cheers

4.68/5  rDev +17%

I drank this beer at a brew pub in Easton, Pa called Which Brew. Since porters are what I drink, this beer was right up my alley. I never had this beer before and I must say the taste to me is very inviting, it was smooth to start with a slight bite at the finish. I enjoyed this beer with dessert and went very well with chocolate drizzled cheesecake. I liked the beer so much that I went and purchased it at my local beer distributor. It came in a case of 12- 22 0z. bottles which will last me one long weekend. The 22 0z. bottles is a lot of beer but the beer is so smooth it makes it easy to drink. I also recommend having this beer with a nice T-bone steak and some chocolate fondue for dessert.

3.43/5  rDev -14.3%

722 reviews as of this writing. the bottle script has a fun story of this beer not being for everyone and they're fine with that. I guess this puts me in the not quite my type of beer category. a 22oz of this is too much smoke for my taste buds. I'd be curious to try it again at a real barbeque house but otherwise I'll step back and leave it for the real fans. cheers.

4/5  rDev 0%

a: Brown body with ruby hues, off-white head, good retention and lacing.

s: Smoke and chocolate.

t: Sweet chocolate, smokey malt, toffee, coffee-like bitterness in the finish. Exceptional balance of flavor.

m: Medium to high carbonation, full body, chewy.

d: Balance makes for an easy drinking porter. A very well made smoke beer, the smokiness is definitely there, but it provides a nice addition, rather than being the basis for the brew.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Nice, sludgy motor oil look to it; decent head. Smoke scent is subdued; nothing overpowering here. The jerky-ish smoke is woven nicely throughout the malt, but again, the taste of malt and hops is a little subdued in this instance. Well-made stuff indeed, but not necessarily my thing.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in a standard pint glass (thanks Stoneman78). Growler opened with a pop and a rush and left some specks of porter on my kitchen ceiling (guess it's fresh :) Poured the color of obsidian, followed by a luscious coffee colored two-fingered head that settled into a quarter-inch consistent layer of foam and ringlets. Lots and lots of lacing; just like drinking a coffee milkshake. Scent of hops, roasted malt and espresso, as well as a lingering smokiness in the nose. Nice mellow taste - unsweetened cocoa, coffee and malt with a slightly hoppy finish. Nice medium-bodied mouthfeel; not too much carbonation. Very sessionable porter.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

I have to say I avoided this beer thinking i wouldn't like it boy was I wrong. Everything I would expect in a porter(chocolate and coffee) a hint of licorice with a touch of German smoke beer. The smoke was not overpowering making this beer suprisingly drinkabile.

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

A very strong selection from Rogue - outstanding stuff and a superb representation of the style... Copped a 1pint, 6floz bomber from Total Wine and More in West Orange... one of my favorite brews from Stone... Pours an ebony hue with a dark, tan, frothy head that soon dissipated... aroma was not too apparent, although cocoa and espresso smells were noticeable... flavor is what it was all about with this one... rich, thick, roasted-malt, dark-chocolate taste with a nutty, latte like characteristic... good, solid mouthfeel with excellent drinkability make this a terrific sample and a pleasure to drink... went down very smooth without any bitterness detected... the relatively modest 5.9% ABV also helps with the overall drinkability... great stuff from Stone... Definitely recommended...

4/5  rDev 0%

From a 22 oz bomber purchased at Mr. Bones in Greensburg.

Pours a near black with an off-white head that has decent retentions. Lacing appears along the the glass and lingers well.

Smell of roasted malts comes through immediately. coffee and some chocolate is also there. Hops give the beer a slight floral aroma. Smokiness is barely detectable through smell.

Tastes of dark coffee with a slightly bitter finish. There is just the right amount of hops in this one. The smoke flavor is not distracting as in other brews and compliments this version of porter very well.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Medium bodied with not too much carbonation. This brew clings to the palate just long enough to get the right amount of smokiness and malts.

At 5.9% abv, this is one of the more sessionable Stone offerings I have had. I could easily have a couple of these with no problems. This would be a good beer to pair with smoked meats and game. This is a natural choice for when I am in the mood for something other than a hop bomb.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing