Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 1,810 | Ratings: 4,168
4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Nice 22oz. bottle. i am always intrigued by the Stone Brewing Company bottles. I've had this beer on a few previous occasions, most recently on a visit to my dear friend Shane, as he had a bomber of this and a bomber of Rogue Shakesphere Stout awaiting my arrival after 10 long hours of driving from Virginia Beach to Columbus Ohio. To say this beer holds fond memories for me is quite the understatement.

Purchased this from my local Farm Fresh store for $3.89. This beer poured a beautiful black/ruby color, and created a stunning 2 finger grey/tan head that pillowed above my glass. This head slowly settled as I drank, yet continued to leave a sticky lace along the sides of my glass all the way down. Beautiful.

This beer had a nice skokey smell (duh!) with hints of caramel, and a faint whiff of alcohol.

This beer had a mighty nice taste to it. Everytime I taste this beer, it has something slightly different to offer from past tasting experiences. On this occasion, the taste really hit me in the back of my mouth. Very bitter, tastes of roasted malts, very round upon my tongue, full flavors of coffee, slightly nutty, and some tastes of alcohol. This beer left a HUGE aftertaste in my mouth. I found this porter to be very smooth, somewhat complex, and very nice to drink. Count me in for at least one of these, but certainly not a beer I could drink all night long (well...maybe. This is subject to change!)

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Poured out of a bomber into a sniffer. Mahogany in color and tan head with nice lacing

S. Hickory, vanilla, molasses and chocolate

T. Coffee, Chocolate and grainy all smoked of course

MF. a balanced smooth flavor

D.. This a good smooth beer with stong smoked flavors that ill have to enjoy again

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

Really not that smokey to me... at least compared to the german Rauchbier's... just wish this had a bit more smoke flavor... besides that, it's a decent beer. If I drank this beer blindfolded with out knowing what type of beer it was... I would have never guessed it for a smoked

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a decent beer, I'm just not too crazy about it. First off the smell reminds me of a smoldering ash tray in a bar which turned me off at first. As the beer warmed up in the glass I enjoyed it a little more. It has a nice smoked nutty flavor with hints of chocolate taffy and mocha, but a little one dimensional. I'm not sure if I would buy this beer again, would like to find something a little richer and with more distinct flavors.

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Nice, thick head forms and takes a while to dissipate, leaving a nice lacing. A very dark beer, almost as black as night.
S: Hints of chocolate, some smokiness, roasted malts, slight piney hops.
T: Dark chocolate and black coffee in the beginning. A good deal of bitter chocolate at stays until the end. Not much smokiness in the taste, but there are some hints of it.
M: Lighter bodied than expected. More carbonation than expected.
D: This beer is easy to drink, no doubt about it. It has a lighter body than I would expect from a porter. The cocoa bitterness might get in the way as you drink more, but it's not too harsh. I might buy this again if I happen to find it on sale, but it's not something I would search for.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown, nearly black with accents of crimson hue. Looks fantastic. Three fingers of darkish tan head, 67% small tight bubbles and 33% medium to large. Head is thick and foamy, but dissipated to one finger rather quickly, within about 45 seconds which is a bit disappointing. Less than a pinky finger within 60 seconds of the pour without any sips, so retention is above average but not great (-0.5). A lot of sticky lace left on the glass after head dissipation, almost opaquing the top of the glass, which is very nice. 4.5/5

Aroma: A bit light on the nose (-0.5). Aroma is very dark malty and earthy. Has a sweet, almost nutty smell. Not picking up a lot of the "smoked" aspect on the nose, but possibly a hint. Smells like a great porter, a little more aromatic would be nice, but very pleasant nonetheless. 4.5/5

Taste: Tastes higher ABV than what it actually is up front (-0.5). The first part of the tongue hit me with alcohol which faded quickly, immediately followed by rich oaty roasted malts, semisweet with a nice touch of bitter hops and coffee. Dry on the finish with a sweet creamy roasted toffee or caramel coffee aftertaste. Great flavor, 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, feels a little lighter than it appears (-0.5). Carbonation is almost just right for my tastes, moderate, a little light but not too overly light. Could use a little more there but not much. Leaves a tingle on the gums but feels a bit flat on the tongue (-0.5). Goes down very smooth and creamy. 4/5

Overall: Excellent porter. Among some of the best I've had, definitely a strong competitor in this category. Stone got pretty much everything right with this one, with almost nothing to complain about. A beer I could happily enjoy every night if I could. Solid 4.5/5

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on 12/10/12. Let sit at room temp for 10-15 minutes before pouring vigorously into a goblet.

Appearance - Soft black with a tawny glow along the edges when held to the light. A cm of beige head stays with lots of lacing and some visible carbonation around the head.

Smell - The smoke hits immediately and reminds me of a rauchbier. Mostly bonfire, campfire, and a bit of cigarette ash. There is a tad of sweet malts with some hints of roasted coffee.

Taste - Taste is of sweet, roasted malts mixed in with the smoke and herbal hops at the back end. Sweetness and bitterness fight it out in the finish, and the bitterness wins. Actually, the bitterness is getting to me as I continue to drink.

Mouthfeel - Really nice, good medium body with a soft fluffiness. Just like a porter should be; pretty drinkable.

Overall - The bitterness detracts from the drinkability and overall taste. Otherwise, very enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A dark brown/black body supports a medium-sized foamy tan head. The nose presents a rich chocolate aroma, with notes of sugary plum, especially as the glass is raised to the mouth. The flavor begins with roasted malt, working in tandem with a mild sourness, and a hint of hoppy bitterness. But it is in the finish that this beer really shows its stuff, with contrasting elements of fruit (grape, perhaps?) and an understated smokiness that's just perfect. With a smooth and agreeable mouthfeel, and relatively moderate levels of alcohol, this is a highly drinkable brew. A great beer.

The blurb on the back of the bottle suggests that this is Stone's "least understood" beer. Maybe so. In my judgment, it's better than some of their more acclaimed beers.

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

a. the usual opaque hue, almost black in the glass, light tan head that dissipates quickly

s. the usual roast malt smell, coffee and chocolate, and dont forget the smoked peat

t. first taste the smoked peat, light coffee, finishes with a subtle hop bitterness, no detectable alcohol

m. starts off somewhat round, but finishes with lighter body, after last night's oatmeal stout, very light body

d. relatively drinkable

kinda bored with this one, nothing new added, maybe a little hoppier than the usual porter, mouthfeel not as thick as could be, but does get thicker as warms

2.43/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Terrible, just so bad. I had three sips and dumped it down the drain. One of the few beers I've had to get rid of. Stone is an over-hyped brewery and most of what they make are IPAs and pale ales that all taste the same. Avoid it if you can.

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

A- Very dark beer that pours with a thin head that goes lacy and sticks around the edge well.

S- Nice rich smell with a bevey of aromas. The most noticible one is the roasted coffee smell.

T- Very good taste to it, smooth with the right roasted taste. Nothing overpowering and overall very subtle.

M- Not as thick as I was expecting given the color. Just the right combination of bite to it to leave a pleasant feeling.

D- Combined with the subtle tastes, the light mouthfeel and the smooth drink, this is a very drinkable beer.

4.51/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance - Black in the glass. Capped by whitish-tan head, leaving lacing down the glass as I drink. Held to the light it is straight ruby. A dark drink here boys and girls.

Smell - Dark malt, and a hint of smoke. A bit disappointed here, was expecting more smoke. Perhaps I may be jaded from Aecht Sch., but I thought it a bit lacking in smoke aroma.

Taste - Well! Made up for the lack of aroma here! There's dark malt flavors composed of dark bittersweet chocolate. Intertwined with the dark malt is a thick, powerful smoke flavor. Caramel and roast round out the malt bill, and hops are limited to bittering role, perhaps a bit overpowered by the smoke. Can't say I mind though, this is a truly delicious drink! The chocolatey and smokey characteristics blend masterfully, dueling for control of the beer. This is a proper porter as well, much restrained in the roast sort of taste, barely posessing it at all. I like my stouts roasty and my porters malty and bittersweet, and this fully fits the bill, living up to my buddy's exhortations. He picked me up a bomber at DLD this year since we can't get them here in Illinois. Overall the flavor is explosive, yet restrained. There's a warming quality about it that manages to expose alcohol without being hot or solvent-like. Additionally I feel the smoke taste to dissipate fast once poured into the glass, so I used my smaller tulip and refilled more often.

Mouthfeel - Velvet. Pure and simple this is a silky smooth and slightly viscous and thick porter. Not slick and viscous, but more soft and fluffy. I almost feel like there's some sort of mouthfeel related smoke properties here, not sure. Carbonation adequate, ideal even. There's just enough CO2 to prickle the mouth as you drink, adding to the voluptuous, voluminous mouthfeel overall.

Drinkability - I damn dear well gave this a five here as well, but compared to lighter fare it isn't truly that drinkable. It is merely extremely drinkable for such a beer with a medium-heavy body and chock full of flavor. I noticed myself gulping the stuff down and had to check myself as I only have the one bomber, and as such should savor and sip. Still, this stuff makes you want to take big, full drinks.

Lovely all around, highly recommended. Stone needs to come to Illinois post haste.

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%

For a Stone beer it was not what I was expecting, however for a porter it was very good, however it was really nothing special. It was overall to style, but the smoke flavor was lacking and I just expected more from a beer made by Stone. I would definately recommend this to a porter lover, however I would not suggest this to a person that just liked beer. I enjoy the flag porter, or Samuel Smith's porter more, even if they are different types of porters.
Good job to Stone, but again not a big outlandish beer that I would expect from Stone.

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a reddish black with lots of bubbles witha carmamel head. Nose is of smoke and molasses. Taste is of faint smoke, malt, caramel, all with a faint background of char. This beer is surprisingly light on the palate. Excellent balance and great drinkability-one of my favorites in this category.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A: pours dark almost black with faint red light showing through with light brown head and decent lacing

S: smells of deep smokey mals, strong coffee and fruity aromas

T: righ full bodies with deep notes of strong coffee, sweet smokey malts and upper notes of sweet fruity flavors

M: thick and smooth with light carbonation

D: a good sipping beer definatly not a chugger

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I love Stone, and have yet to have anything of theirs that I didn't like.
This beer is one of them. I certainly give this beer high praise and I think rightly so. It pours well and comes out a nice deep dark redish black.

The smell intially is a little too subtle but letting it breath reveals malty aromas with a bit of smoked wood and some wonderful hops.

Truth is I was a little disappointed in the seeming lack of smoked flavor. I have had some other smoked brews that lend more towards tasting the wood. However, the beer was increadibly fresh and the hoppy finish was perfectly bitter sweet.

The mouth feel was light with out too much carbonation and the beer goes down well. Perhaps a bit a on the heavy side but during a cold winter day I could certainly drink a couple of these. Try it out. Another good beer from Stone for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

From tap into Pint Glass.

I've had this great brew, a few times before but have not had a chance to review it.

Poured very dark brown with a slight reddish tint. There was a thin head that stuck around for moderate lacing.

With a Smoked Smell of the roasted caramel malts, this is what I would expect a smoked porter to smell like.

A really good taste with moderate carbonation. Came through Dry in the front, with smokey/woody undertones in the middle to back. Nice hop to malt balance.

Thank you Stone...One of these days I'll make it out to Calli.

Thank you Stone...

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Blue Palms here in LA always has great stuff on cask. I have had this many times in the bottle and a couple of time on tap but in the cask it is outstanding.

The smokiness comes through in the nose, the mouth and the throat.

Thick bold layers of chocolate and burnt almonds grace the palate.

In a bottle it can be too carbonated and lively on the tongue to enjoy all of the flavors but from the cask it is fantastic.

It is a mouth full, so I wasn't craving a second pint - but I could use one right now.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow am I glad I bought this. Like all stone products, this beer looked awesome. The head wasn't as menacing as, say, Arrogant Bastard, but it left an excellent lace nonetheless. The back of the bottle sums it up nicely..."Amazingly rich, dark, and delicious..."

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Dark, dark brown. 1/2 inch cream-colored head. 100% opaque.

S - Nutty aromas initially. Strong scent of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Notes of hops and a little spice, too. Very nice, sweet.

T - Tastes a little like a cherry smoked piece of beef. Heavy chocolate and malt flavors. Not too much alcohol--sweet. A little coffee flavor too. Quite complex.

M - A little thin, but not bad. Not as good as the smell and the taste.

D - I'm drinking the 1pint&6oz bottle, which is the perfect amount of this beer. Wouldn't want anymore than that. It goes down nicely on its own and even better with a quality piece of chocolate.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

22 Ounce poured twice into a pint glass.

A: Very dark, when held up to light it had maybe a slight dark amber color. The head disappeared quickly and there was no head to speak of. Did I mention stout-like darkness?

S: Smelled great, chocolate and coffee, just like I love.

T: I liked it, but not as strong as I thought. I loved the smoked taste. There was the heavy presence of chocolate and mild coffee, but I was surprised that it didn't have the alcohol that I expected from Stone. I loved the smokey aftertaste which made up for the lack of bite that I thought was going to be there.

M: I love the Stone beers and I usually associate them with "strong" beers, but this wasn't as heavy as their other beers. Not acidic, which I like, not to many alcohol tones.

D: I actually believe this could be a beer that I would have a few of at say,,,, a cookout, but the price tag is steep to be a session beer. I payed $4.99 for the 22 OZ, so at most I would have two in one sitting.

bottom line: Its better than average, great aftertaste, needs more alcohol/hop presence, but overall I enjoyed it despite the price.

2.71/5  rDev -32.6%

A- Dark color with a brown hue tossed in as I hold it to the light. Small head with small fingers.

S- Hoppy, heavy leaf smell.

T- Hoppy, almost tastes like a red beer. Can't taste the smoked flavor whatsoever.

M- Thin and carbonated.

D- Thin, very hoppy not my style. When I pour a porter I sorta expect something more robust, thick, and darker. /shrug

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

A - Very dark, nice head, leaves some lacing

S - Rich malty, very slight sense of smoke

T - Really chocolaty taste with a nice coffee taste to it. I don't really get the smoked taste except for a little on the after taste

M - Extremely smooth, goes down easy

O - A great porter in my opinion, not really a smoked porter, but still very good

4.42/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! Big!

Two words that come to mind while drinking this beer...

This stuff poured out nearly completely black with a thick head. There must have been some residue in my glass because it vanished pretty quickly. The head was completely gone at some point during the half hour I spent drinking this beer.

The nose hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Chocolate and smoke with a touch of sweet. The smoke was almost like a good single malt scotch.

The first sip was amazing. The complexities of malt and chocolate and smoke and coffee hit you all at once and then somehow they order themselves. The taste is complex and wonderful and thoroughly enjoyable. It only gets better as it warms up.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. This beer has substance. Hard to believe it is made with malt, barley, water, and yeast only. How come the Macros can't do this with all the ingredients they use?

I only rated the drinkability down on this because I don't think I could drink more than one every once in a while, but when I am in the mood for a smoked porter, I will reach for this one first. Wow!

3.67/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Pours black leaving some white head that didn't really last long

S: Slight a bit of smoke but not what I would have expected, some malty tones.

T: Some coffee flavor in there, smoke comes through a bit more as it warms but still lacking in my opinion. Has an almost sweet after taste.

M: Medium body with carbonation

D: Not bad but wouldn't be the first beer I reached for when choosing a porter. Lower 5.9% alcohol makes it easy to drink

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing