Stone Smoked Porter | Stone Brewing

Stone Smoked PorterStone Smoked Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Smoked Beer

A porter with hints of chocolate & coffee balanced by subtle smokiness
First Release: December 1996

When first released, our smoky version of a traditional English porter was ahead of its time. Today, it's a highly regarded staple among craft beer fans and our go-to food complement, pairing effortlessly with all kinds of cuisine, from peanut butter and banana sandwiches to braised pork belly and apple pie. This worldly libation is dark, smooth and complex, with chocolate and coffee flavors suffused with subtle smokiness from the addition of peat-smoked malt.

Added by kbub6f on 03-18-2002

Ratings: 4,189 |  Reviews: 1,815
4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.96/5  rDev +23.4%

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

It's ok. Just OK. meh Stone

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

My first Stone Ale and well worth the wait it's taken to try one.

Apperarance: Black with a very full and very lingering head. If looks could kill, this beer would be on death row right about now.

smell: Chocolate first and foremost. There is also just the slightest hint of smoke to be found.

taste: Again I'm getting chocolate above anything else, but the coffee undertones are still there in force and the smoky aspect.... not too strong not too faint, just about perfect.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and the smoke seems to be more noticable than in the taste alone or the smell. Still not overpowering by any means, but more assertive and ready to scare off all those "yellow fizzy" beer drinkers.

drinkability: Could see myself very easily having a couple bombers back to back of this majestic brew. Can only speak for myself, but it lives up to any hype it's been given and then some.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

poured dark black with brown/ruby highlights. Quick rising head that faded into a large rocky "moon surface" look. At this point the beer reminds me of a glass of Coke (not a great thing IMO). After a light a whirl in my pint glass the head gets nice and creamy (much better!).

The nose is of weak chocolate, light smoke, dark ripe fruits.

Taste: chocolate hit me right away followed my a pleasant roasty smoke element, not an overpowering aspect at all. The smoke compliments the rest the malt in this beer instead of being too "in your face". The beer finishes with a coffee-like bitter bite followed by a tingly hop caress. This is a very good beer, especially around this time of year. The flavors seem to come with the season.

Mouthfeel is rich and full - especially a it warms. The carbonation is thick and prickly at first but fades a bit to give the beer more of a creamy texture. This porter is very similar in mouthfeel to many dry stouts I have enjoyed.

This beer is very drinkable, and pairs well with my kind of food; meat. Lots of flavors going on that keep you coming back. This has to be one of my favorite Stone releases and I'm sure glad it's available year-round.

If you haven't tried this one, give one a try soon. This is a great beer to start out with when venturing into smoked beer territory as well.

Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev +8%

A- Very black beer with noticeable nucleation (and a lot at that). Large, two-finger, yeasty head, cream in color. Very sticky lace left on the glass. Very pretty!

S- Oak ash, anise, grapes, a hint of wheat, and slight toasted malts. Very faint, but somewhat appealing.

T- Strong notes of anise, with a dark cocoa bite. Very smokey, which is pleasant! Would be phenomenal with a pulled pork sandwich or something smoked and BBQ'ed

T- Heavy body with moderate-heavy carbonation. Very dry finish but goes down smooth.

D- Very good beer, the smokiness is exceptional and would be a very good beer to pair up with food! I intend on pairing this and will review when I have done so.

#15
Left in my cooler from DLD.
22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pitch black with a light brown, fluffy head. Nice overall look for a porter. 4.0

S: Smokey chocolate? Malts and a light coffee hint finish the first sniff. 4.0

T: The smoke is evident right away, with meat, wood, bitter chocolate and coffee. Not being a fan of porters or previous Stone beers, this was a pleasent surprise. 4.0

M/D: Very full and creamy mouthfeel for this low alcohol content. I could probably only drink 1 though, which has nothing to do with the beer, just my taste preference. 4.0/4.0

Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

3.78/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'll be honest I haven't had too many porters maybe 6-7 but this one is by far the best I've had.

Pours a cool dark reddish color with a creamy head which leaves a very nice lacing
The smell is slightly sweet but also a hint of roasted coffee.
Know the taste is what I would consider very complex. Initially a bit of chocolate but then the smoky roast flavors and a slightly bitter finish but in a very good and balanced way.
Very flavor full but not overwhelming, the flavor contrasts are something else.

Let me tell you these STONE BOYS don't mess around and not just because I'm a CALI native.

I just told the wife I will be spending my B-Day at their Escondido location I hear its like Disneyland for the brew heads.

Go Team USA..

Cheers.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.74/5  rDev -7%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.81/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Purchased from Sprouts in Poway CA. Darkish brown tobacco in apperance with a whiteish mocha head. Good lacing. Smells smokey, malty, faint hints of chocolate. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Taste is malty, smokey, choclatey with the slighest bit of coffee mixed in. A very nice porter, prefer this over the Vanilla Bean version.

3.82/5  rDev -5%

22oz Bottle poured into my Spiegelau pint glass.

A: Espresso black with a light tan fluffy head. Decent lacing as it went down.

S: Smell of earthy hops, dark chocolate, coffee, and next morning campfire log; after it has been put out for a while.

T: Bakers chocolate, espresso, and certainly a nice smokiness in the back...not overwhelming, just right. Reminds me of Colgin's Hickory liquid smoke.

M: Full body and chewy. Finishes a bit too dry for my liking, but beautifully crafted nonetheless.

D: Next time I drink this beer, I will grill a nice steak with my balsamic vinegar infused asparagus and a side of Caesar salad.

Salud!

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Ahh...an old favorite (yet the first time I've come around to review it...)

A- Dark, cola color with a creamy, off-white head...some decent lacing...

S- Smoke (of course), but not overwhelming...maltiness...and coffee...hint of hops (which seems to come with any stone variety)...slight amount of dark fruit, but not much...

T- Again, smokey, but with more of the coffee coming through on the front end...malts...slightly sweet...everything you would expect from a good porter...

M- A little thin, dry, I always hope for more from this brew, but still not bad...

D- A very good intro for anyone getting into smoked beers, or porters for that matter. Drinkable, and worth a second look...or a third...or a fourth...

1.98/5  rDev -50.7%

24 oz bottle poured into a glass. No date or code discernible.
A- Mostly black with a slight brownish tinge around the edges.
S- Mostly malty with a slight smoky aroma
T- Is this supposed to be the smokey part? Tastes like hops to me. And nothing else.
M- Average
D- What am I missing here? Is this an old bottle? I am not a fan of hoppy beers and that all this basically tastes like to me, nothing at all like a porter and no smoked flavor either. Very disappointing.

2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

A - poured with 5 inches of brown head and one and a half of beer. dark brown/black. clear. way too much foam

S - tough to tell at first because it is mostly head, as i wait for the head to clear and pour more in my glass i get a nice smokey, chocolate aroma.

T - Smokey/chocolate flavors much like the aroma

M - Nice smooth mouthfeel, though a bit tingly from the carbonation/bubbles

D - after fighting through the foam/waiting for it to clear, fairly drinkable, feels quite nice on the back of my tongue and throat. But way too much foam

Overall, I think I got a messed up batch, head/carbonation was out of control. I found the Smell and Taste to lack complexity.

*came back to edit my review because I poured the other half of my beer in the glass thinking maybe my pouring was the problem but it over foamed again, knocks down the drinkablilty, cant drink foam right?

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured black with dark ruby highlights. Tan 1 finger head with lite lace.

Smell of coffee,malt,and light booze.

Taste was a BIG espresso, roasted malt, light hop balance flavor. Wasn't picking up any subtleties of the smoke others have talked about.
Rich, smooth and creamy with high drinkability. A great Porter.

Stone Smoked Porter from Stone Brewing