Old Guardian OAK - SMOKED Barleywine | Stone Brewing

Added by EgadBananas on 02-18-2013

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Old Guardian Oak Smoked Barleywine a month and a half ago for $7.05 at Boyne Country Provisions. I had the 2011 Release of Old Guardian a while ago and I thought it was a very good Barleywine, so I was happy to find a bottle of the Oak Smoked version from their odd beers for odd years series, I'm interested to see how the smoked malts work with this beer, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle is pretty simple looking even for Stone with just a smaller gargoyle on the bottle with the typical lengthy Stone rant on the back, it looks ok. It poured a nice deep amber/orange color that took on a nice and bright ruby hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I really like the color and the head and lacing was really nice especially for the style,

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of smokey aromas that have more of a quality smoked meat aroma than a campfire aroma but there's still some nice smokey wood aromas going on. Up next comes the malts that impart a sweet, caramel, toffee, and brown bread like aroma with some nice dark fruits showing up in the background. Towards the end I get some lighter hoppy aromas with a little bit of citrus hop aromas coming through. This beer has a pretty damn good aroma, the smoke aspect is pretty noticeable but it doesn't overpower the Barleywine base and there's some nice balance between the two.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of oaky and smoked flavors that still lean more towards being similar to smoked meats rather than a bonfire. Up next comes the malts that impart a sweet, brown bread, caramel and toffee like flavors with just a slight bit of dark fruits showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and it followed by some light citrus and earthy hops with the earthy hops seeming to stick out the most imparting a pretty high amount of medium bitterness. This is a pretty good tasting beer, the balance is pretty nice and the smoke seems to work very nicely with the Barleywine base.

M- Pretty smooth, chewy, rich, slightly sticky, pretty dry, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of carbonation that's at just the right level for this beer. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was pretty damn good beer and a very good example of the style, it's not quite a full on smoked beer since the smoke isn't completely dominating and the Barleywine base shows up just enough to provide great balance and the two aspects work very well together, even better then I expected. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth especially for the style and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, I kept going back for more and I think one bottle is the perfect amount, but if I was really in the mood for it I might consider trying to tackle another one. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the smoke worked with the Barleywine base, the two worked much better then even I thought they would. What I liked the least about this beer was that it's a one time only release, I think they should release this with the regular Old Guardian every year. I would for sure buy this beer again, when I go back up north I'm going to make sure to grab a couple bottles if there's any more left and I think it's priced nicely. I would recommend this to most Barleywine fan's especially the ones who don't mind smoked beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I was a big fan of Old Guardian, but I wasn't sure how it would take to some smoke, but it worked out very well and while I still prefer Old Guardian I think the Oak Smoked version is still pretty damn good. Stone did a great job with this beer, this is the second beer I've had from Stones odd beers for odd years series and they have both been very good, keep up the good work guys, I'm digging these creative versions of old classics.

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a large light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of caramelized sugar with some toffee with light smoky notes. Taste is also a mix between some caramelized sugar, some notes of toffee and some light smokiness. Oak is more concealed but can provide a more rounded finish. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Well brewed though smoked notes are not has apparent as I had expected and hops presence is not as present as in the regular version.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%