Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA | Stone Brewing

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPAAleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA
Liked This Beer
4.24 w/ 790 ratings

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Jim Moorehouse, Nate Albrecht and Brad Zeller, three pals planning to open a Chicago brewpub under the moniker of Aleman, won first place at last year's Iron Brew homebrewing competition in the Windy City (judged by none other than Greg Koch, Jason Ebel of Two Brothers Brewing, and celebrated Chicago brewer, designer and author Randy Mosher). Their style-bending IPA artfully married the assertive tropical bite of Citra hops with amazing coffee flavor and aromatics to create something truly unique and exceptional.

Serendipitously, Two Brothers recently kicked off a new adventure roasting their own coffee beans, and provided just-in-time freshly roasted java for the brew. The result is an innovative IPA that's well balanced and intensely flavored thanks to the felicitous blend of hops and fresh roasted coffee.

Added by Rollzroyce21 on 03-20-2013

Liked:
4.24/5
Alströms:

4.75/5  rDev +12%

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

poured vigorously into a pint glass
A- amber color with a 2" off white head. Lacing clings to the glass. Dark for an IPA, but coffee brews are usually of the darker types

S- Straight up coffee and a little bit of fruits and grass. I really like the smell.

T- More coffee up front, then a splash of citrus fruits the roasted notes. Smooth finish but not as much bitterness as I would expect from a "Stone" IPA. Finishes very smooth almost like a cream ale. I think its the coffee. Not too much malty sweetness which is good.

M- Med body, very smooth, but slightly dry with nice carbonation. Alcohol is well hidden.

O- Was surprised with the blending of coffee and hops. I like both of those in my beer, but not usually together. This beer was a pleasant surprise. I'd recommend to try, but not sure I'd drink consistently. I still prefer my hop bombs or the coffee stouts, but not together.

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bomber served in a tulip glass. Pours a clear golden-orange color with a frothy off-white head, lacing all around. Aroma is bread and caramel malts; citrus, pine, earthy and slightly floral hops; mild roasted coffee and just a hint of chocolate. Flavor is caramel, citrus, pine, coffee, and a fruity finish. Mouthfeel is medium, a bit dry, and finishes. Good beer, weird but in a good way.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had it on-tap at Two Brothers Tap House in Warrenville, IL

I had to drag my dad to try it because he usually hates coffee beers, but I knew it was a limited edition beer so I wanted to try it and I persuaded him to come with. Man, am I glad we tried it! My dad hates coffee beers and he LOVED this beer, and so did I.

They used actual coffee beans and it has coffee in the name, so I was expecting a huge onslaught of coffee and roasted malts. Nope. I mainly detected a hop presence. It tasted like an IPA, but a little different. The coffee beans changed the taste, for the better. It had a very unique taste to it, tough to describe. It was very good. I highly recommend people try this beer.

Warning: This review is coming from a guy who loves IPAs and detests strong coffee flavor in beer. If you love coffee stouts and dislike hops, you may not like this. But still try it because you never know if you will like it.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear amber color with great cascading lacing down to the last sip.

Smells of tropical and citrus, specifically mango and orange. Light notes of coffee with a touch of honey.

To be honest, I was expecting somewhat of a mess with the coffee and citra, but it works well. The coffee is subtle and adds an earthy and berry note to the otherwise dominant orange and mango.

The mouthfeel is smooth with ample carbonation. I feel like the coffee may have added an effect similar to oats in a stout because this is very soft for the style.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. I was somewhat hesitant coming into it but it turned out great. It's one of my favorite collaboration beers Stone has made thus far.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

So it pours an interesting ruby amber. Not much head, but what there is sticks around.

I get the notes of hops and burnt coffee beans. Somehow I can't stop thinking of like... fajita meat? But in a good way? Am I hungry?

Taste follows suit. dark roast coffee beans and floral hops combine and there's a bit of that fajita again (again... I feel weird describing it that way... but it also is quite tasty. I approve!!)

The hops linger, but it finishes pretty clean. I like it. Definitely a unique beer, but in a good way, not a voodoo doughnut mess way. I want fajitas now.

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 1st March 2013. I picked this up at Belmont Station today.8.7% ABV? Why?

A surprisingly dark red/amber, this beer is capped with a dense, off-white head with excellent retention and nice lacing . The nose has a lot of coffee, a lot more than I was expecting, with the hop character playing second fiddle. Grassy, fruity Citra hops are clear, with some pineapple. The combination of hops and coffee actually works! The coffee character brings to mind hot, steeped coffee grounds. No malt character is noticeable here.

The palate opens with a blend of coffee and fruity hops. I can't think of a better way of making a coffee IPA, but good lord, it does trigger my gag reflex. Once I suppress it, and if I put my mind to it, I can alternate between the hop character (mango, tropical fruit, citrus) and coffee. Bitterness is mild here, but the coffee does make the sweetness a lot more perceptible. The mid-palate has some malt character - a little more caramel malt than most other Stone IPAs, along with some honey. Alcohol is reasonably well-hidden. While the hop flavors are initially more assertive, the more I drink, the more tastes like someone dumped fruit juice in my cold coffee and then spiked it with vodka. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is decent. Incredibly unique, but not something I'd reach out for again.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark gold with a frothy head into my glass. I've only seen one other example of a "coffee IPA" and that's Koppi.

Aroma is the equivalent of coffee grounds dumped into an IPA. The roastiness of the beans goes very well with the citrus element of the hops. Very appealing.

Deep, complex roast just works really, really well here. Wow. I can't describe it any further. It just tastes so right for a reason.

Lingering roasted coffee, citrus, cream and a touch of licorice make up the mouthfeel. Finishes surprisingly clean too.

While it won't replace a cup of coffee, it does provide me with the charge I need to make this a more enjoyable night. Check this out! And if you like it, Mikkeller's Koppi IPA as well.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a coppery amber with a thin off-white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of coffee, light sweet malt, citrus hops and coffee. Flavor starts with an odd melding of malt and coffee, but ithen the flavors start to blend together into a very interesting drink that was unexpected and quite pleasant. It seemed like a long shot for combining flavors, but they pulled it off. Nice medium, mildy creamy body. An unlikely experiment that turned out very nicely. I was sceptical because the Evil Twin version of coffee IPA was not a great experience (and I'm a big Evil Twin fan). These guys, however, pulled it off and the world is a better place for it.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hmmm, interesting idea. I was not sure how well coffee and intense hops would mix, and after trying this mix I'm still not sure. As expected given the involvement of Stone, there was no reduction in the strong hop aromatics and flavor, and I had the distinct impression that the IPA 'base' was excellent. I had two reservations about the coffee contribution, however. First, the coffee component smelled, and to a lesser extent, tasted too much like used coffee grinds, despite the use of "fresh roasted coffee". Second, and perhaps due to the particular hop and bean mix, the coffee did not blend with the other flavors or aromas as well as it does in many porters and stouts.

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Clear, medium amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Coffee and hops make for a confused aroma. Each quality is rather honest when considered alone, although the coffee flagrantly clashes with mixed-citrus. Of the two, coffee casts the more resonant note as whole roasted beans, edging out the predictable West Coast hops qualities. There is a detectable third layer of intermediately refined crystal malt which influences the color. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with coffee syrup that complements well the pale malt, and subtle herbaceous hops aromatics. Flavors begin to dry out into the middle as coffee is gradually exchanged for grapefruit-centered citrus that is slow to ripen on the palate. The finish includes an interesting combination of green and brown bittering elements. Aromatic grapefruit citrus flavors finally are fully realized late, lingering on the palate beyond the reach of the coffee. No alcohol is detected.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly syrupy and resinous--but slick overall--on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Gloriously experimental, this beer has the fingerprints of Two Brothers all over it. In the case of the coffee, that is good news; the same cannot be said of the safe, predictable, and too-dark IPA base. The coffee qualities encountered here are so honest and appealing, channeling the same greatness as their coffee-brewed strong porter that was a retro release in 2012. Two Brothers IPAs are an understated lot: from the oak-aged Resistance which could fairly be described as nuanced, to the very mediocre Outlaw, the incarnations of the style contributed by the suburban Chicago brewpub are rarely noteworthy. Such is the case here, although the combination of coffee and hops is finally found to be in good company by the arrival of the easy finish. One could argue that the Two Brothers-style of IPA is the perfect choice to accompany the well-considered appeal of a Two Brothers coffee beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a pint glass.
A- Clear, clean amber color with a 1 finger off white head. Lacing that just clings to the glass. Very interesting to see a coffee brew like this not look like a stout or porter.

S- Straight up coffee and hops. Coffee beans with citrus and pine hops. Nothing confusing here. It smells fantastic.

T- Perfectly follows nose. Black coffee up front, then a splash of pine and citrus hops compliment the roasted notes. Crisp, warm finish. Simple and to the point. Spot on flavor.

M- Mid body. Alcohol so hidden it's scary. Some dryness, but less than expected for a coffee ipa. Good carbonation.

O- Can I have this with breakfast??? What a beautiful blending of coffee and hops. Probably not a style that i would drink real often, but this beer is really well done. Not many collaberations seem to turn out this well. I have been a huge fan of Sunny in Philly, and now I am a huge fan of this brew. Anything stone makes just seems to please my palate.

$7.99 for bomber