Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA | Stone Brewing

Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPAAleman / Two Brothers / Stone - Dayman Coffee IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Jim Moorehouse, Nate Albrecht and Brad Zeller, three pals planning to open a Chicago brewpub under the moniker of Aleman, won first place at last year's Iron Brew homebrewing competition in the Windy City (judged by none other than Greg Koch, Jason Ebel of Two Brothers Brewing, and celebrated Chicago brewer, designer and author Randy Mosher). Their style-bending IPA artfully married the assertive tropical bite of Citra hops with amazing coffee flavor and aromatics to create something truly unique and exceptional.

Serendipitously, Two Brothers recently kicked off a new adventure roasting their own coffee beans, and provided just-in-time freshly roasted java for the brew. The result is an innovative IPA that's well balanced and intensely flavored thanks to the felicitous blend of hops and fresh roasted coffee.

Added by Rollzroyce21 on 03-20-2013

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.31/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle $7.99. My first thought was coffee IPA do not go together whatsoever. I was wrong. Color is amber-orange, good lace, nice looking IPA. The aroma is fantastic coffee beans, so rich and layered on top of a bit of citrus hops that sort of dance in and around the coffee. The flavor is nice, delicious coffee beans, bitter hops, citrus. Mouth feel is sort of creamy, nice. Overall this is a winner and I might need another bottle before its gone. Stone has been putting out some quality stuff for a long time and while I might rarely buy the regular lineup I will always check for the one-offs.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber to my Sierra Nevada balloon glass
*notes from Friday – 04/05/13

A: Slightly hazed, golden caramel-amber color body with some orange-ish hues and a nice fat finger of paper-white foam head. Decent retention time for a coffee beer with some light ribbons of lace remaining down the glass.

S: Smells pungent with Citra hop aromas. Grapefruit zest, pine, and a touch of gooseberry. I get a secondary wave of mellow espresso roast coffee beans. I was expecting a coffee blast but this is nice and not overpowering at all. It actually compliments the citrus quite well.

T: Citra hopped IPA meets Espresso beans…in its most simplest form. There is an awesome flourish of grapefruit, pine sap, and green berries that intertwine with fresh roast Espresso coffee beans. I was skeptical but they pair incredible well together. Light cracker malt base with a dash of caramel sweetness added. There is a relatively low and overall smooth bitterness to the beer which makes this totally drinkable with alcohol well masked. Not astringent or harsh with the coffee additions at all. Juicy with the Citra hops and delicately fresh on the coffee. The balance is what makes this work so well.

M: Smooth texture overall with a moderate body. Perfectly even carbonation with a light drying lift towards the finish. No sharp astringency to be found. Slight residuals but rather clean by and large.

D: This might come off as a little simple and two-note if you will. And I will say that I had my doubts going into this one but Stone has made me a believer. While I do love me a Hoppy IPA as well as fresh gourmet coffee; it is the incredible balance and perfected craftsmanship that really wins me over with this one. Will be securing a few more of these before they are gone fo’ sure.

2.51/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm not sure if I like this beer or not. I feel like the coffee is more like an annoyance because I don't think it fits at all in this brew. Everything's good except for taste and mouthfeel. I tasted nice grapefruit citrus bomb in the beginning and out of nowhere, the coffee kicks in and it was unpleasant. I thought it was a great idea though, but I think Stone didn't hit it this time with the dayman. I know some people like it, but I'm not one of those.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

22oz : SN IPA Glass

Pours a beautiful burnt orange with a foamy, slightly off white head.

Fresh ground coffee, with a light tropical, citric backing. Really exceptional.

The coffee and hop are more balanced in the taste, with the tropical citric hop notes sandwiched between wonderful coffee notes and a faint malt backing.

Medium body, foamy, prickly carbonation.

A really unique and well executed beer. I had my doubts going into this one, but the coffee notes are wonderful and they are extremely well balanced with the hops. I could drink this for days.

22oz bomber bottled 3/1/2013 poured into a Bell's tulip glass and consumed today 4/9/2013. Much thanks to powz87 for setting me up with this bomber.

Aroma: Really unique. It smells like fresh wet coffee grounds would, but there is quite a bit of sweet honeyed toffee and bread in the nose. It's a decently pungent nose and strangely pleasing. From the first sniff of the nose, I can already tell this is going to be a lot of fun to drink. As it warms up, there is more of the IPA characteristics- the sweet toffee, caramel and breadiness along with some grapefruit. (4)

Colour: A very nice looking beer. Pours a dark amber colour with an absolutely beautiful 2cm white head that takes its time to recede into a superbly thick white collar complemented by a very dense white film on top of the beer. The lacing is very sticky and abundant on the drinking side as I drink this beer. This is an extremely great looking beer for an IPA, I honestly haven't seen much better than this. (4)

Flavour: Like the nose, its very unique. I get a kick of coffee grounds in the front, which I can only describe as a bitter, earthy flavour which could also be from the grain bill. It's like cold pressed coffee. Then there is a very nice sweetness that I ascribe to the IPA aspect- honey, caramel and toffee that dominates the middle, with the black coffee coming back at the end leaving a nice balanced, bitter grapefruit finish that isn't too wet or too dry. I'm a fan of this beer. (4)

Mouthfeel: A nice medium bodied beer that's very well carbonated and refreshing. In fact, that's the one descriptor I'd use as it's a refreshing brew that actually quenches my thirst instead of finishing dry like some bigger IPAs tend to do. The aftertaste is a combination of bitter grapefruit and bitter dark coffee and I'm really digging it. (4)

Overall: You'd think a coffee IPA would be a terrible idea but this Stone/Aleman/Two Brothers collab proves me wrong. And I'm happy about that! This is an incredibly refreshing beer that I would drink on my balcony during a hot summer day, no question about it. If I judge it as a pure IPA, it's probably not the best I've had but it's definitely better than most based on the non-coffee characteristics I'm able to detect. It's balanced with a great malt backbone and unmissable hoppiness. The coffee somehow accentuates the grapefruit bitterness in a way that doesn't overload the palate. Two thumbs up to this innovative collaboration- I'm sure this isn't the first coffee IPA that's been made, but I'd imagine its one of the best out there. (4)

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bomber, pours copper with a frothy, ivory colored head, holds good retention and leaves a little lacing at the top of the glass. Nice marriage of coffee and citra hops for aroma, not sure how to describe it, but it's very pleasant. Tastes are surprisingly good! Coffee at the forefront followed by a wave of tropical fruit,finishes with a slight bitterness, while the coffee rides out the finish. I am very surprised at how well this comes together. Mouth-feel is creamy & smooth, medium bodied, nice carbonation. At nearly 9%, the alcohol is very well concealed. Overall, I really don't have anything to compare this to; it's truly unique. Unbelievably well crafted - a crazy idea seems to have paid off here.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber bottle purchased at Peekskill Beer and soda, Peekskill, NY. I looked but can't find any bottling date or best before info.

Pours near clear, darker almond amber, moderate lite tan head. Going to a fine film, minor coalr and again minor strands of lacing.

Cafe au lait on the nose, with some leafy hops.

Interesting IPA variation. Not sure how many coffee IPAs I've had the pleasure of trying, if any. Notes of more mellow coffee, trying to mesh with the underlying hoppyness and malts. Not sure if this one gets to the level of actually "meshing". Things sort of all over the place.

Not my favorite Stone collaboration