Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch - Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout | Stone Brewing

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch - Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstoutDrew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch - Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout
4.12/5
Exceptional

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.

ABV varies by batch.

Added by Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013

Ratings: 2,242 |  Reviews: 427
4.24/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have a totally different opinion of this stout than I did 5 years ago. So much Better.

Look: Dark Brown chocolate, 1/2 finger head, alcohol legs in a Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass.

Very strong aroma: oak, pecans, chocolate. The oak becomes more pronounced with warming.

Taste: chocolate, fruit, pecans.

MF: smooth and silky.

A pleasure to drink!

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

One of the best tasing stouts I’ve had. Bravo Stone!

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2018 Bomber Stone Woot Stout.

Appearance: Black glass is opaque even at the edges when tilted. Holds a halo of dark tan head that gives up a few spots of lace.

Aroma: Roasted barley, raisins, an earthy hop, mild sugar candy note. Some purple grape jam as well.

Taste: The purple grape jam note is pretty strong, and good in my opinion. The malt and hops are very well balanced so there's no real bitter and just a bit of sweetness. No roasted flavors, a mild coffee like finish is as close as it gets.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body has a light chew, medium carbonation, clean finish.

Overall: I like it. Not very "stouty", pretty fruity but dark and strong which comes together very smoothy. An unusual Stout, but worth a try, I'll grab another if I see it.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

2018 Edition. Bottled on '06/24/18'. Termed "A MIND BLOWING AMALGAMATION OF FLAVORS".
Poured from 22oz bottle into glass.
Black colored body, with a thin mahogany highlight at the edge. Creamy, well formed tan head, which leads to interrupted sheets of lacing left behind.
Smells of chocolate, coffee, pecans, sharp wheat/rye, and sweet bourbon barrel.
Has a sweet flavor from chocolate and light bourbon barrel, along with the nutty pecans. The barrel also provides a lightness that emphasizes the taste in the upper nose. Taste goes off to a floral area, but is joined with the sharp wheat and spicy rye. The after taste is very smooth, and is light like vanilla. There is no bitterness in this beer. The alcohol is quite well hidden, with just a touch of burn on the tongue.
Quite creamy and coating in the mouth feel. Has supporting carbonation.
Very enjoyable sipper beer. This is the first yearly variation I have had, and I think the brewers did an excellent job of making a very enjoyable stout with a seldom seen set of components. Rather subtle in overall tone, but complex in execution. Just shows the experience of the brewers.

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: It pours dark brown with a brown head. Head retention is moderately low.

Smell: Strong alcohol and roast. There are some plum elements with pecans. There is a bit of rye in the background.

Taste: There is a combination of rye, roast, pecan, and dark bitter coffee. There are some slight burnt characteristics with low plums. It also has a bit of a spicy kick to it.

Feel: It has a moderately heavy body with a slightly creamy texture. It has a strong, bitter dark coffee like aftertaste.

Overall: This is a relatively flavorful stout with plenty of flavors and aromas. The bitterness is slightly harsh with warming alcohol.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had the 2018 release. Not a terrible beer but had an odd sweetness to it and also left a metallic aftertaste. It wasn't bad, necessarily, but there are just plenty of beers in this style that are better.

Smooth. Not bitter.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottled on 6/23/18

Pours black with a slow-forming, small caramel-colored head.

Aroma is very nutty and earthy, balancing pecans, peanuts, cinnamon, chocolate, burnt coffee, and soft rye.

Taste remains heavy on the earthy tones, as I'm getting rye, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, pecans, and a bit of oak.

Mouthfeel is nicely balanced and really smooth; no hint of 11.5% at all, and stays consistent throughout; a steady, uncomplicated drink going down.

A solid BA stout with plenty of good flavor, although I wish I could've seen a bit more of the barrel in this one, as it was almost too balanced for it's own good. In spite of not standing out a ton, it's still got good flavor that stays consistent, and is a really smooth sipper.

Jeez, what can I say. 2.0 was great. Phenomenal even. 2018 12 oz bottles are a drain pour for me. It isn't a terrible beer, but I'm sincerely offput by the sensation of going for a sip of something you love and getting something totally different. Like biting into a rotten egg or drinking a flat soda
Inconsistentcy is what earned the 1 rating here. The beer is OK
- it's fine – but unforgivably different than what I was expecting.

main issue:
the recipe keeps bloody changing dramatically. Had an incredible pour from 2.0 last year and fell in love. Especially with the deep chocolate – I'm a sucker for Coco stouts. It was a well balanced, complex flavor with the perfect amount of Coco, burbon and the like. Sad to report that the recipe is nothing like the previous, which has led to me buying beer that I thought I wanted, but actually really don't enjoy.

Just spent $16 and some change on a different beer that is entirely different and not at all what I was expecting. Cool...
I guess this is what happens when you have nerds make beer. Can't say I'm exactly suprised? Oh well. I'm sure a lot of people like it, no doubt. My main concern is the totally inconsistent recipe. They just yanked the Coco out. It isn't a matter of quality control, it's a matter of basic consistentcy. It isn't the same beer...

I get it: no two brews will be identical, and partially that's what we all love about yearly releases of our favorites. Problem here is that the recipie keeps varying wildly and I'm sitting here with 5 and a half beers that I thought I'd want to drink (you know, based on the name of the beer and the branding and label) but instead I'm going to give them away to friends. I guess that's the saving grace, someone gets free beer. Although in this case, it's definitely not me. If you were a fan of the vastly superior wootstout 2.0 avoid like the plauge. If you enjoy this release, that's great! The bad news, you'll probably be in my shoes next year when they change it all again.

It's romantic to consider the artisan, varying nature of craft brewing, but for me – the disparity in taste goes beyond here. A total bummer.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First time having this as the manager told me they just got them in and he had a cold Sixer for another customer .
Label sounded real interesting from the variety used to create this stout .
I haven’t had a stout in over a month and they are my favorites so here we go .
Rich black color with a nice head on an average pour ..
Smell was not anything overpowering as maybe I expected too much .
Taste was fantastic and got better as I sipped through the glass .
Wonderful mouthfeel that coated the tongue .
Overall a really well done stout .. I wish it had a little more barrel, but I got exactly what was advertised .
Highly recommend !!
Cheers !!

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is intense in all the right ways. The 11.5% booziness is paired nicely with this stout's sweet pecan and rye flavor. One of my new favorite stouts for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer is a thick pouring beer that pours pitch black, with a 1 finger tan head. The retention is ok, but not the greatest. No lacing on the glass.
The nose is actually quite mellow. There's some chocolate and vanilla, but quite subdued.
Taste - It's a lot more than the nose. There's deep and rich notes of caramel, and chocolate. The barrel effect then kicks in and doesn't let go. It really has a rye finish to it.
This is one hell of a thick beer. This beer really coats my throat all the way down and doesn't let go. There's the heat from the alcohol that mixes in with the thickness.
Damn delicious beer, and I'm glad they did it in the 12 oz format. I'd rather drink this size than the 22 oz size. It's just right.

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Look- not pure black. A very, very dark brown. Tan head.
Aroma - caramel, nuts
Taste - bourbon very subdued as it is undetectable in the aroma
Mouth feel- silky, full bodied, delightful
An enjoyable but not out of this world stout

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch - Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout from Stone Brewing
Beer rating: 4.12 out of 5 with 2,242 ratings