Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout | Stone Brewing

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstoutDrew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout
4.12/5
Exceptional

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.

Added by Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013

Ratings: 2,170 |  Reviews: 404

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 Version Update:
Another fantastic year for this flavorful stout. Drinking very smooth as it's fresh. Reminds me of Stone's Russian Imperial Stout with added undertones of pecan and bourbon. Just enough bitterness on the back end to balance out the sweetness. A well balanced, fantastic stout. And one of the best values around: 22 oz. for $8.99 in Philly.

My first bottle of this was cellared for about 7 months from bottling date.
Lovely jet black color of beer poured into my stout glass.
Predominant smell was of dark fruit, toffee, hint of nuts and bourbon.
Taste and mouthfeel were lovely and warming. An excellent IS that didn't overwhelm with any particular ingredient. Nice combination of warming bourbon, pecan nuttiness and roasted dark coffee/chocolate.
Overall this collaboration lived up to my expectations and I highly recommend it. I have one more bottle that I plan on opening on it's one year anniversary of bottling next May.

Postscript: I am now drinking my last bottle on 10/24/14 so this bottle is about 16 months aged. I have to say it is far better at this point than the last review. Very close in bourbon taste and mellowness to BCBS. Fantastic!

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer pours dark- pretty much black as night. There's, just barely though, some light that picks up a dark brown color on the bottom of the glass, but not see through. The head was about two and a half fingers length and dissipated into a tan thin film covering the rest of the beer.

S: Damn. The smell alone is excellent. Coffee, toffee, caramel, bourbon, char. I can smell it from even a couple feet away.

T: This is a damned good stout. I say 96 or 97 out of 100. I get chocolate and caramel up front. Then comes pecans, rye, bourbon, wood, oak, raisins, nuts, cream, milk. Jesus this is good stuff. Like a dark desert in liquid form.

M: Oh man... I'm always afraid of a thin mouth on any stout I buy, but this does NOT disappoint. The w00tstout is not only thick, but creamy as well. It's got sort of a stickiness to it that lingers, and I like it.

O: Awesome beer. Wasn't disappointed. I'm not a fan of the roasty-type stouts (where the taste is nothing but char and burnt coffee). This beer was not like that and even surpassed my expectations. Too bad this isn't year-round.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout from Stone Brewing
Beer rating: 4.12 out of 5 with 2,170 ratings