Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout | Stone Brewing

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstoutDrew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout
4.12/5
Exceptional

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.

Added by Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013

Ratings: 2,157 |  Reviews: 399

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A: A nice deep brown with a little light creeping through. A 1/3 inch brownish khakis head . Really a nice stout but, it doesn't stain my fingers as much as I've come to expect from the style.

S: A lot of booze at first. As I focus more I begin finding a nice malt aroma with hints of Bourbon. Maybe I'm picking up some Chocolate as well.

T. I noticed a nice Bourbon taste coupled with a good Chocolate presence. There are defiantly some sort of nuts here. With a good mixture of sweetness and bitterness. Definitely a unique brew.

M: A nice heavy mouthfeel. Very thick but not a so much as to feel like syrup. This one has low carbonation as is expected with the style. Doesn't really leave my mouth coated as I like but very nice still.

O: A unique brew. I'm glad I got to enjoy a bottle and wouldn't mind having another. A solid Stout. I wouldn't go hunting for this one but, if I see one somewhere it's definitely not going to be passed by. A very different brew which is rather refreshing.

3.24/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

A friend shared a bottle with me. Poured aggressively into tulip glasses and about an inch or two thick foamy brown head built up. Very beautiful presentation. The beer was jet black, no penetration of light. Very solid appearance for a Imperial Stout.

The aroma was outstanding. I picked up candied pecans and some malt. The aroma actually got me thinking of pecan pie. It had that nice sweet and savory smell that you can just inhale and find it delightful.

Then to the taste, which unfortunately I was not impressed with. At first it was instantly bitter. Kind of like burnt chocolate and coffee. I suspect this might be from the rye being one of the ingredients. But then just at the finish the beer transformed to a taste of umami. It became oddly savory with a dash of salt. Made me think of soy sauce. In my opinion this was not good. Unfortunately it was hard to get pass this while I kept drinking. It starts out with burnt chocolate and then the finish was purely umami. In addition, the beer was quite boozy. The combination of the flavors in this beer is quite bizarre in my opinion and hard to get past.

Fortunately mouthfeel was outstanding. It was very thick and creamy. Kind of like when you drink a thick mocha or hot chocolate. It seemed the beer just stuck to my mouth after swallowing; very full bodied.

Overall I was impressed with the aroma and the mouthfeel but it was the flavors that led me to not enjoy this beer. Clearly other people like the flavors of this beer but I might be one of the few that don't. I have another bottle that I might cellar to see what happens to the flavors as it ages.

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

22oz bottle with the cartoon characters, poured into an unlabeled snifter today, 9/3/2013, shared with BA member Benish. Review #183.

Looks like an awesome imperial stout- pours an incredibly dark and opaque body with a thick 2cm brown head. Not much lacing. Remains a thick film on the beer with great retention. Stains the glass brown as I swirl it around which produces even more head. Totally great looking imperial stout here.

Smell is eh. Not very pleasant actually, as it warms up I get more straight up rubbing alcohol. I don't even know how to describe the other aspects of the nose- there is some roast malts and a good bit of soy sauce/umami, perhaps a little bit of mellow spiciness which I would imagine is from the rye. But its not really anything I can pin down. No pecans either.

And the taste is truly average. There is a small bit of that roasted malt sweetness, but its subdued in comparison to that massive umami taste. I really do not care for it. It reminds me a lot of Nightstalker in that there is a ton of umami, soy sauce flavour. But I'm really not getting the pecans here. Basically this is Nightstalker, but worse... and there isn't even much bourbon or barrel flavour here either.

Mouthfeel is very good here though. Its a full bodied, and I mean full, full bodied and very creamy and thick. It's smooth on the palate and honestly one of the better mouthfeels I've had on a non-CCB or GI imperial stout. Still, the aftertaste is a lot of that umami flavour, and it runs very hot as it warms up. So, it takes quite a bit away from what would be otherwise a 4.75 or 5 rating on mouthfeel.

Overall, its interesting and I'm glad to have tried it. But its simply not my cup of tea. Its not particularly complex, and its full of umami.. which I find interesting only in 4-6oz quantities. I can't stomach a full pint of this stuff. I'm starting to think I should just start passing over any Stone collaboration from here on... but I liked Dayman, so that makes for a tricky quandary here.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

22oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Dark brown almost black with a 1" tan head that quickly recedes to a thin cap.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, with a hint of bourbon.

Taste: Like in the nose coffee, chocolate, but also a little bit of dark fruit almost like a Belgian stout, the barrel has a light influence. Very light bourbon and vanilla. Tasty but otherwise unremarkable like a "barrel aged light", meaning it has some of the flavors present in great barrel aged beers just with less depth, much less. Not a bad thing at all as having a lighter barrel aged beer is a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Clean and light on the palate.

Overall: Very sessionable BA stout, worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Snagged a 22 oz. bomber at Shirley's in Adams Morgan, D.C.

Appearance (4.25/5): Deep black, opaque, and very little head, as you'd expect with a beer of extremely high alcohol content (13%). The khaki, half finger head dissipates quickly. The carbonation is visibly low.

Smell (4.5/5): Some alcohol, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruits in the nose. Not detecting much bourbon notes.

Taste (5/5): Wow, this one just blew me away. Vanilla from the oak and some bourbon flavors mix seamlessly with the usual, pronounced dark chocolate, and coffee flavors. Amazing depth and complexity. Dark fruits also make an appearance (think plum and raisins), reminding me of Belgian Quadrupels. A tad boozy but you don't get it until the very end. The flavor elements all work in concert together. More oaky vanilla in the beginning and more bourbony in the late stages as it warms.

Mouthfeel (4.5/5): Thick but not syrupy. Beautifully done body that's heavy but not cloying. Low carbonation due to the high alcohol. This is a sipper.

Overall (4.5/5): Stone has really crafted a winner of a collab beer with the Stone/Farking/Wheaton w00tstout. All of the ingredients and flavors mesh really well. Totally decadent, this is a beer you may want to share. Getting through the entire bottle on your own may land you on your ass, but I'd understand if you guard it jealously and elect to not share.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark dark brown, basically black with one finger of light brown head. Can't see any carbonation. Looks gorgeous, head dissipated quickly.

S - Nice roasty scent. Great chocolates and coffee notes reminds me of Bell's Black Note Stout. Has alot of body on the nose. Slight bourbon in there too.

T - Has a slight warming from the bourbon. Roasted coffee is so good. Slight oakiness from barrels. Chocolate isn't in your face, but bitterness is on point. Some nuttiness in there as well.

M - Full body. Thick and buttery. Awesome as it rolls on palate. How a stout should feel.

.O - Awesome! Love the nose, taste, and mouthfeel Looks beautiful. Want to replicate on a batch, if only I could.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A jet black beer with a persistent, espresso colored head. Pours with three fingers of foam and leaves ropes of fine lacing on the glass.

S: A blend of aromas with a medium amount of roasted grains, oak barrel, pecan and malt sweetness. The typical chocolate, coffee, roast and a light sweetness blend some dark stone fruit. There is some banana coming in probably from the bourbon mixed with the oak which has a fair amount vanilla along with a bit of cinnamon. There is a non-distinct somewhat nut like aroma in there. There is a moderately-low floral note from the alcohol.

T: A chocolate and nutty flavored stout with support from a moderate vanilla oak and bourbon character. The pecan flavor is fair noticeable at a moderate level. A medium-strong malt sweetness being somewhat wheat and slightly caramel in nature with a medium roast. With only a light hops bitterness the balance is fairly sweet. There are some light vanilla and background cinnamon flavors from the oak along with some light bourbon character. The alcohol brings some heat and a light sweetness. The finish is moderately sweet with an aftertaste of coffee, chocolate along with roast and light hops bitterness.

M: A full bodied beer with a medium level of carbonation and some alcohol warmth.

O: A rich and complex stout layered with oak, bourbon and a nutty character. The wheat isn't obvious at first but it defiantly there if you look for it and adds a lot to the body and character of the beer.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Deep, black body with about a one-finger dark tan head, but very little lacing, as expected, from the high abv.

Very nice aroma that is very complex. I get notes of vanilla, cherry, bourbon, molasses, and light amount of nuts, probably from the pecans.

A slight step up from the aroma, the flavor continues as a very complex and rich blend. The roasted malt becomes dominant in the flavor, blending with all the aforementioned notes. A very tasty stout indeed.

The only (minor) drawback is that it is a little thinner than expected in the mouthfeel. Overall, an excellent stout, with some added unusual ingredients. Highly recommend.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

This is my second tasting of this beer. The first was consumed within days of its release.

Poured from a bottle that has been aged for about a month. Served in a Stone Grapefruit Slam beer glass from the World of Beer release event. Sipped this one over the course of an hour or more.

Color is quite dark - like strong coffee that been sitting and slowly evaporating on the coffee maker burner for most of a day. Slight brown lacing akin to espresso froth that does not cling to the glass for very long. This beer is clearly viscous, as evidenced when the lacing dissipates and the beer slowly slides down the glass back into the pool of dark goodness.

Aromas of dark roasted coffee, cocoa, dark Karo corn syrup, alcohol and a faint scent like that of teriyaki sauce. Odd, I know.

Mouthfeel is enjoyably "thick" - somewhat syrupy and sticky. Carbonation is minimal. Feels a bit boozy on the tongue with some definite alcohol heat when swallowed, but at 13% ABV I guess that is to be expected.

There's a lot going on in the flavor department. Taste is sweet yet bitter and slightly smokey with other flavors reminiscent of a dark roasted coffee, dried fruits (prunes?) and hints of semi-sweet chocolate. There is also a slight taste like that of a flat cola at the end. I did not detect much of the pecans at the start of my sipping session when the beer was colder, but the nuttiness of pecans became a slightly more discernible in the finish as the beer warmed. The pecans are not a defining flavor of the beer, IMHO.

Overall, this is a pretty good stout and another fine Stone release, but it doesn't live up to all the hype that preceded its release. Glad I had the opportunity to try it.

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout from Stone Brewing
Beer rating: 4.12 out of 5 with 2,157 ratings