Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout | Stone Brewing

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstoutDrew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout

Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Ale brewed with pecans, wheat, & rye, with one quarter aged in bourbon barrels. Brewed at Stone Brewing Company with Greg Koch, Drew Curtis (Fark) and Wil Wheaton.

Added by Alieniloquium on 07-13-2013

Ratings: 2,187 |  Reviews: 409

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.59/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I like where this beer is going. It is worth a try now, but I think it will be great and worthy of a 4.25+ rating in 6 months to a year. Consumed from a snifter.

Very interesting beer

A - Pours dark brown. Very little head from this pour. Looks a little watery, but sticks to the side of the glass quite a bit.

S - Slightly metallic. Undeniably stout smell with some unique properties: bitter and nutty. Reminds me of breakfast for some reason when I take a whiff. Not quite enough coffee to call it coffee, but smells like there could be some brewing in the next room or something.

T - Similar to the smell. Bitter, and you definitely taste the alcohol. Bourbon is present and at the forefront along with a mixed bag of nuts. A little bit of metal. Toasted bread comes to mind with a little Nutella. A good, solid stout.

M - This is made for sipping. Slight sting in the nose when it hits the sides and tip of your tongue. Falls to the bottom of my mouth instead of flowing over the top of my tongue. Maybe the taste forced me to do that.

O - I really like where this stout is headed. It isn't quite there yet, but could be with some cellaring. I bought 4 bottles. I will hold on to 2 of them to see how they age. I would love to update this review in another 6 months to 1 year. The flavors are all there. Bourbon, nuts, sugar, whiskey, oats... just needs some time to figure out its identity. I would recommend this to any Stout lover, and recommend they get a bottle to hold on to.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

The brew pours black in color with a thin penline of brown clarity around the edges. A rich brown to khaki head composition retains well for how high the alcohol content is. Some patches of lace stick to the glass as the cap slowly fades. Overall a solid looking stout.

The aroma is mostly comprised of burnt grain leaning towards coffee with a heavy hand of hops providing a touch of herbal to pine inclusion. Some dark fruity quality is present that I want to say is partially from hops and mostly the alcohol with a raisiny to molasses sort of character. It is quite boozy as it opens up with a slight accenting bourbon kick. Some anise and tobacco are an afterthought.

The flavor is earthy and roasted to the point of char. Quite bitter with the burnt grain character accented by a modest amount of vegetative hop flavoring similar to what can be found sometimes in black ipas. The alcohol brings forward a bit of fruited quality like raisin, molasses and bourbon towards the back. Some faint chocolate and tobacco notes are left lingering long after each sip.

This is a medium to fuller bodied brew with a pleasant alcohol burn and it is surprisingly slick and chewy in the feel. I was hoping this would be similar to the IRS but with a bit different depth of character. It sure is different but im not sold on wanting more of this. Worth a try? Absolutely.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Jet black in color with minimal carbonation and what there was had almost an orange amber hue. This looks a bit intimidating. No light will penetrate this. I mainly smell that bourbon, but also the pecans. Just a hint of the wheat.mouthfeel is silky but thick. Bourbon mainly on the front of the palate. I then get that wheat and pecans. I get the warmth of the alcohol in the Back of the palate. The pecan and wheat tend to linger in the aftertaste. This is pretty unique and I would highly recommend it. Probably better shared. 22oz's at 13%!

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was lucky enough to get this on tap at the common market yesterday. Served in a Southern Tier goblet.

Appearance - The beer retained a good inch of head in the goblet. The body was about typical for an imperial stout. Very dark but you could pick up some brownish hues towards the light. The head had a really nice vibrant colour to it for the style.

Smell - Great smell, lots going on in the beer but you are able to pick up on the pecans which added a sort of caramel nuttiness.

Taste - This beer has some booziness to it but it would be hard to knock a 13% beer, especially when other flavours come out. Immediate roasted malts and other standard flavours for an imperial stout and as they are settling in you get a great caramel finish from the pecans which pleasantly lingers on the tongue. Very well executed.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel on the beer was fantastic and I think the rich flavours of the pecans work very well with the heavy body prevalent in this imperial stout. Extremely smooth mouthfeel which adds some drinkability to such a heavy high alcohol beer.

Overall - I would certainly have another w00tstout in the right circumstance. A great imperial stout with good chocolate/coffee flavours that are enhanced by the addition of pecans, which bring caramel/toffee notes to compliment. If I found myself with another glass in my lifetime, I'd consider myself fortunate.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Stone/Farking/Wheaton W00tstout about a month ago for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. It's a pretty cool late summer night in Mid Michigan and I'm in the mood for something strong and dark so I thought I would give this one a shot, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, I got the simplest one out of the three different designs But I still think It looks good and in typical Stone fashion it has an in depth description of how this beer came to be. It poured a nice dark black color that really didn't let any light come through with almost a fingers worth of dark tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually disappeared and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, it looks pretty dead on for a high alcohol Stout.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart some nice roasted aromas along with some coffee and chocolate aromas that are followed by a good amount of dark fruits that seem to stick out the most. Up next I get a light nutty and almost caramel like aroma that could be from the pecans. Towards the end I get a very noticeable alcohol aroma with some light wood and bourbon like aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I thought it was as unique as the ingredients list, I enjoyed it and as it warmed the roasted notes shine through more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of malts with some nice roasted, chocolate and coffee flavors coming through that are followed a pretty much equal amount of dark fruits with no one fruit really stick out more than the other. Up next comes the alcohol which shows up a fair amount but it really isn't as warming as I thought it would be and it's followed by some light bourbon barrel flavors with vanilla and oak seeming to stick out the most and there's also a real slight nutty flavor that barely comes through and it must come from the pecans. On the finish there's a somewhat higher amount of bitterness that lingers just for a little bit and it's followed by some roasted, dark fruits and alcohol flavors in the aftertaste. I thought this was a good and unique tasting beer, I enjoyed it but it sure didn't taste like a typical barrel aged stout.

M- Pretty smooth, just slightly warming, creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and unique and good example of a big Stout, unlike many other big Stouts it wasn't over the top with the roasted malts and it seemed fairly complex with some dark fruits and light bourbon barrel and pecans showing up. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth for as strong as it was, not too filling, and the flavors did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one bomber would be my limit, I would normally split a beer this strong, but for how smooth it is a whole bomber isn't out of the question. What I liked the most about this beer was how unique it was and how drinkable it was, this isn't your normal high alcohol Stout and it drinks way smoother than it should. What I liked the least about this beer was basically nothing, but If I had to choose something I think a little more bourbon barrel and pecans in the flavor and taste would make this a slightly better beer. I would buy this again, I wish i had another bottle to age in the cellar, it's all gone at my local store, but if I see anymore I'll for sure get at least one bottle to see how it develops over time. I would recommend this to people who like stronger beer, I don't think you have to be a huge Stout fan to like this beer. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it's nice to see a beer this strong for under $10 a bomber and I think it's for sure worth the money, I wouldn't say this is the best example of a Stout and it ins't a favorite, but it is a pretty unique and enjoyable beer, as I said earlier I think it's as unique as the ingredient list. Good job guys, I think this was a nice collaboration and a enjoyable beer, keep up the good work.

3.81/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from bomber into Stone snifter

A - Initially poured pitch black with little head. A little more vigorous pour got the tannish head I was expecting.

S - Incredibly boozy on the nose. The bourbon and the rye definitely come through here, though you may have to search harder for the latter. Underneath that, you get the normal imperial stout smells, but the booze definitely overpowers them.

T - Luckily, not just booze! The bourbon and rye actually come through (which is nice), but I also get the dark chocolate and roastiness I expect from an imperial stout. I don't get much of the pecan, but that leads me to...

M - This is where I think this beer shines. I think the pecan and wheat add a nice smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel to this beer. The viscosity I associate with imperial stouts is present, but the creaminess adds another dimension.

O - This is a tasty brew. I'm curious what'll happen with age, but it's drinking like a solid imperial stout if you don't mind, or better yet enjoy, the bourbon and rye parts.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Drew Curtis / Wil Wheaton / Greg Koch Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout from Stone Brewing
Beer rating: 4.12 out of 5 with 2,187 ratings