Stone / Robert & Ryan / Rip Current - R&R Coconut IPA
Stone Brewing

Stone / Robert & Ryan / Rip Current - R&R Coconut IPAStone / Robert & Ryan / Rip Current - R&R Coconut IPA
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
3.7 | pDev: 11.08%
From:
Stone Brewing

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 1,191 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ykncornelius:
4.14/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, for starters, am I the *only* person whose beer is not crystal clear? Every other review says this thing poured a dull clear yellow, and I ain't seeing anything like that. Strange.

I'll preface this with: I love coconut ANYTHING. Except beer. I had a coconut beer once and it tasted like somebody dissolved a tropical fruit jolly rancher in a Bud Lite. So 1) I had to buy this when I saw it on the shelf, but 2) I wasn't expecting much, actually.

Cloudy dark mustard yellow pour with a very thick foamy bright white head. Apparently this thing's been on the shelf for a hot minute, because the aromas aren't all that huge. I'm getting mostly peaches and lemon, but that acrid bite you whiff off an IPA isn't there.

Aaaand it's not there on the taste buds either. Was hoping for more bitterness, but I have to say I'm glad it's not. Everything about this beer is a surprise and I'm happy to roll with that theme. Toasty coconut malt flavors all over the place, especially as the beer warms. Some alcohol heat is there, too, which I imagine was previously masked by the hops. Very creamy mouthfeel, not much carbonation. Slips down like pudding.

I gotta say, I can't believe I'm saying this of a not-very-hoppy IPA with coconut...but it's fantastic. Perfectly balanced. Might have even been better without the long shelf life, so here's to hoping the store's got some younger bottles hidden in the back!

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a decent layer of white head. Color is a golden orange.

Flavor profile is coconut and tropical fruit. A fair amount of citrus. Pineapple, mango, orange flavors all present. Some floral hops. Has a touch of malt showing as well.

Mouthfeel: Kind of bitter, but not over the top. A little sticky. Medium bodied.

Overall, an enjoyable beer. I'd easily drink more of this. A little pricey out of the bottle, however. Glad I found it on tap.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

Bomber to the stone specialty ipa glass, enjoy by 10/smudge/13

Pours a solid gold at about 85% transparency with a finger and a half of foam. Mild/moderate carbonation spiraling up from the glass doesn't help the retention much, after about ninety seconds it's down to half a finger. Good lacing though, wish the head stuck around for a bit longer

Pouring a bit into a snifter for the aroma after reading how faint the coconut was. Smells of floral hops, grapefruit and some other citrus notes, faint coconut is definitely detectable, though deeply buried over the other hop notes, and is accentuated by a sweet sugary milky malt. A bit of alcohol ties it all together, smells great but the amount of coconut was disappointing

Taste is pretty close with the nose, floral and fruity hops upfront, grapefruit and other tropical fruits- some lemon lime and tangerine. Coconut again is faint yet present, most noticeable on the after taste. Milky, sweet, with a splash of alcohol. Like the smell this is good, but falls short of it's promise

I really like the feel, very smooth and crisp, leaves my palate feeling slick with a wet finish. Very bitter, very drinkable. I could down these all night

Overall I agree with many of the reviews- this beer is good but skimps on the coconut. Were it marketed under a different name I think it would have been recieved better. Very refreshing on a warm summer day, would love to be drinking it on a beach somewhere

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Stone IRS Snifter

A - Pours a crystal clear coppery-orange. A thick, pure-white head is produced from a relatively vigorous pour. Great head retention and lacing.

S - I'm not getting a ton out of the nose on this beer. It smells like a pretty standard Stone IPA with a bit of tropical fruit tossed in. It's predominantly apricot, mango, and tropical hop with a bit of sugary sweetness. There is a hint of coconut... but it's like if I had put banana boat sunscreen on a few hours before drinking the beer, and was still smelling that residual sunscreen.

T - Wow. Although the nose was a little disappointing to me, the flavor on this beer really knocks it out of the park. You get huge tropical fruit and coconut right up front, but without being overpowering. It's not a fake suntan-like flavor (which is what the nose prepared me for), but a rich, oily coconut flavor. It's like really good coconut oil with tropical fruit, and then married to a beer. Lots of solid Stone-style bitterness with a nice hop bite. Fantastic mixing of coconut with an IPA.

M - Thick, chewy, but without compromising the drinkability (I'm still not convinced that "drinkability" should be a word...). It finishes medium-dry and leaves a nice warming sensation on the palate.

O - Yet another "I can't believe that this beer tastes this good" beer from Stone. Coconut + IPA? Yep. And it's really good, too. Track it down if you can, it's worth taking for a spin. Hoppy, balanced, coconutty, unique, and delicious.

Stone / Robert & Ryan / Rip Current - R&R Coconut IPA from Stone Brewing