Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA | Stone Brewing

Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPARobert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA
3.69/5

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Added by ESPNman on 07-27-2013

Ratings: 1,192 |  Reviews: 232
2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours clear golden orange with a medium bubbly white head that quickly goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet bready malts, some ripe tropical fruit (with light coconut) and floral hops with a bit of stink.

The flavor is sweet malts with a kind of chemical coconut flavor and bitter grassy hops that taste a bit charred in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, an interesting experiment but doesn't work for me. The coconut tastes fake and the doesn't work with the grassy floral hops. I much prefer their coffee IPA.

3.39/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Enjoy by date is 10/10/13. Pours a medium amber. It's quite clear, filtered. Medium to large bone white head. Good amount of lacing and solid retention. Objetively, the appearance deserves high marks for technical merit, but it seems a bit slick and lifeless to me. I don't really care, but it would be kinda fun if a coconut IPA looked sorta creamy or something. The aroma is big on tropical hops and stone fruit. Lots of mango and peaches. Fairly floral, as well. However, it's a bit dull. I'm drinking this a day after it showed up in my city, and it's just not as bright as I'd like. Also, there's pretty much zero noticeable coconut aroma. I think I can pick out a mild note, but it could be all perception bias. There's also some crystal malt sweetness, just a touch to me for me, though I'm not sure I'd feel that way with a better hop aroma. The taste starts out fairly sweet with more of that simple crystal malt-tinged sugariness. Then, I get an initial burst of the tropical fruit hop flavor, until a wave of bland bitterness washes things out. It's not all that bitter, but the bitterness just isn't accompanied by much flavor. The finish has a bit more coconut, but it's hiding underneath more meh grapefruit rind bitterness. Carbonation is pretty standard, maybe a bit prickly for a strong IPA. Some hop oiliness and a bit too much weight from the malt. This was fairly disappointing. It's not a bad IPA, but Stone can do better, particularly with the hop brightness/juiciness. More importantly, the coconut is far too mild. I suspect that this beer didn't translate well to a larger system because I heard some rave reviews off of early bottles from the collaborating homebrewers.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a clear copper color with ample head that dissipate quickly and leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

S- stone fruit is upfront apricots and peaches, which is then followed by a bit of pineapple. The hoppiness definitely plays well too. Not picking up any coconut.

T- coconut cot coming through for me which is disappointing. Stone fruit plays well at the beginning, then the malt kicks in the the hops and bitterness you would expect with an IPA.

M- medium body almost a bit creamy with little carbonation.

O- a good IPA but not what I expected. The coconut I was expecting wasn't there as much as I would have liked, the IPA flavors seemed to dominate. From the IPA side of things it is good, just not great like other Stone offerings.

4.06/5  rDev +10%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a clear bright orange with two fingers of off white foamy head of mostly large bubbles. Head dissipates after a few minutes leaving a good amount of sticky lacing. Tiny champagne like bubbles stream up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is sweet tropical fruit hops, mango, pineapple, peach, passion fruit with just a tiny amount of orange peel. Very light biscuit malt sweetness as well. Not much coconut in the aroma that I could tell, but smells like a nice IPA.

Blast of bitterness upfront, grapefruit and orange peel, light pine, mellowing into the sweeter tropical mango, pineapple. A bit of lightly toasty coconut mid tongue and biscuit malt sweetness. Dry finish, big lingering bitter citrus peel and pine hop flavor with some mellow sweetness.

Light body and refreshingly carbonated. For a decently high abv IPA, alcohol is nicely hidden as the hop flavors really shine though, with the coconut flavor accenting well. A little more coconut in the aroma and taste would have been nice though.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Decent head, but begins to fade. No lacing.

The smell is bright with citrus and tropical fruits. A little pineapple with some coconut on the end. I feel like I am embarking on the piƱa colada of IPAs.

The taste is just like the smell. Fruity, citrus, with a coconut finish. Thankfully, it is not heavy coconut.

The mouth feel is decently carbonated. Fine for the style. Easy to drink.

I think this was a fun beer to have. I can't see myself really going after it again. The best thing is that super fresh Stone IPA (think Enjoy By) flavor that comes right through. Everyone should try one. It feels like a novelty.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

2.82/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Awroight. 7.7% ABV confirmed. Self identifies as an "India Pale Ale Brewed and Flavored with Coconut." Reviewed as such. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with nice printed-on label art and branded pry-off cap acquired earlier tonight at a local SoCal bottle shop and served into a flared stem-snifter/tulip hybrid glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm just a biteen over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 1.5 finger wide head of beige colour. Above average thickness. Okay creaminess. Above average (~3.5+ minutes). Light weak lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's pretty standard fare for the style. Not unique or special, but no overt flaws are immediately evident.

Sm: Floral hops, caramalt, clean pale malts, barley, mango, and grapefruit. I normally wouldn't notice any coconut (like if it wasn't blatant on the label), but when I really really search, I do find some light coconut shavings on the back-end; not at all an evocative note or even a pleasant one. They clearly didn't use enough coconut; it feels like a homebrew attempt at a coconut beer. When Kona does it better, you know you're amateur. Some apricot and peach. It's a biteen artificial, like some extract was used. That certainly contributes to the homebrew vibe. An above average strength aroma with no detectable yeast character or alcohol. Not impressive, but pleasant and inviting for what it is.

T: Hmm. Unwelcome tropical fruit hop esters (mango, apricot, tangerine, peach, melon, fruit punch) mix unfavorably with overdone caramalt and clean malts. Any coconut shavings/coconut milk notes are extremely light and get buried deep beneath the hop notes; talk about a lack of subtlety or respect for balance. They really missed the mark on the coconut. Some hop bitterness does leak out and goes untamed - not a pleasant note. Some candi-like sweetness; I might even suspect a dash of candi sugar was used. As it warms, it becomes evident too much caramalt was used. It's not gestalt, and feels haphazard. Floral hops. Not getting any oily, nectary, or juicy citrusy hops. Even the grapefruit is quite limited. It's just pretty meh all around. Its below average depth of flavour and flavour intensity certainly don't help it. Flavour duration is average. Little complexity or subtlety here, and careless balance. Poor layering. I'm not much of a fan.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Overhopped.

No blatant off-flavours are noticeable.

All things considered, as it warms I do grow to love the finish - which has the most coconut shavings/coconut milk. It's a nice refreshing end to an unremarkable flavour profile. Too bad the whole beer isn't as good as the finish.

Mf: Overcarbonated. Full-bodied but lacking in flavour. Weak and empty. Muted. Not oily, harsh, or gushed, but a bit biting. Strangely coarse and dry on the climax, tanking drinkability. Bad presence on the palate for the style. A bit too thick. Doesn't seem brewed with the flavour profile in mind; it hardly matches up. Not to style. Sticky.

Dr: Another forgettable brew from the most overrated brewery in brewing history. Pedestrian gimmicky mediocrity that doesn't warrant a second (or even a first) purchase. Doesn't hide its alcohol particularly well. Wouldn't recommend to friends. I'll finish this bottle, but I wouldn't want another (even if it were free). Okay drinkability. I like the concept, but the execution is poor. What little quality there is here I attribute to Ryan Reschan.

Really gets better as it warms - surprising for an IPA. I initially gave it a Low C-, but as it warms it develops into a Low C.

Low C

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle (enjoy by 10/10/2013) into a tulip. Pours a clear coppery color w/ a frothy bright white head, some nebulous lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is tropical and citrusy with a subtle hint of something different, just a whiff of something earthy and nutty. But I'd be hard-pressed to ID it as coconut if it didn't say so on the bottle. Smells basically like a clean West Coast IPA, which is just fine with me.

Taste is a blend of mostly pale and some caramel malts plus piney/citrusy bitter hops. Typical clean bold Stone flavor.

Mouthfeel is perhaps where I pick up the coconut the most. There's an oily quality here that I can't attribute to the malt or hops.

Overall, another good brew but nothing extraordinary here. I guess if you're going to call it a coconut IPA you'd better go full frontal with the coconut. If they'd called it IPA with coconut, I'd be more forgiving. Still, Stone managed to extract another $8 from my wallet.

3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.81/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a light copper color with a one finger creamy tan head. Some streaks of lace down the glass.

S: Tropical fruit almost to the point it smells like a smoothie, toasted coconut, piney hops and some bready malt.

T: Definitely not what I was expecting, but I like it. Tons of piney, bitter hops with a citrus rind edge. Finish is bitter with a hint of baby aspirin and bready malt. The coconut peeks out every once in a while, but you really have to dig to find it. If I hadn't known ahead of time there was coconut in here, I don't think I would ever have guessed it.

Robert & Ryan / Rip Current / Stone R&R Coconut IPA from Stone Brewing