17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA | Stone Brewing

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Inspired by new experimental German hops, our brewing team is celebrating our 17th Jahrestag by taking palates on an unconventional tour of Deutschland by way of Southern California. In doing so, we used a grain bill comprised exclusively of pilsner malts and German hops with crazy awesome names: Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Dry-hopping with Sterling, a U.S. hop with Saaz parentage, lends a bit of familiarity, but be forewarned, this is a unique beer that takes the IPA–a style we've already pushed far beyond it's previous limits over the years–to interesting new territory.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-14-2013

Ratings: 1,800 |  Reviews: 335

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ad this on tap at the brewery a few days ago, and now again in the bottle in the comfy confines of my home....
after reading the summation, I may be influenced to say it actually does look more like a pilsner in its industrial-yellow color rather than an IPA's floral bright yellow(?) not much head on the first pour; it just kind of sits there with little carbonation apparent.
not getting a lot of smell on this either, although I remember a distinct sweet malt aroma from the tap version.
taste seems a little different than my tapped version also, but I do remember the different kind of hop flavor to it. almost a 'sweet-hop' flavor, and one I don't remember trying before or at least mixed this way. the last guy said this has an ibu of 102? it sure doesn't taste like it.
I suppose if i'm gonna get my 'fix' than I could go worse for a 9.5% abv, but this doesn't do much for me. I really didn't like it much at the brewery but I wanted to give it a another try. for innovation and attempt at something new, I give it a strong score; but maybe that's why we've never tried something like this before- others may have and decided it "didn't work". only Stone has the leverage to throw something like this out there and see what bites . . . . if it had another brewer's label on it, it wouldn't sell.... just my opinion.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours sort of like a dirty blond, almost as if it was a wheat beer. Very small, very fast disappearing head.
Outstanding bouquet and aroma. Putting my nose deep into the glass and immediately my senses were full. There were hops, but not over hoppy, so that the citrus/grapefruit smell was there but not hitting me in the face. Even though this had an IBU of 102, it didnt seem that way. But there was definite signs of lemon, fresh alive almost like lemon grass. Again, hoppy, but didnt taste all that hoppy My immediate senses put me into a fresh German beer or Czech Pilsner.

The taste was full and bold. I tasted my hops here then I did during the smell phase. The beer finished beautifully. Left me fine just wanting another sip.

I felt like a had a cross of a fast forward but friendly Hop beer mixed in with a fine German brew.

I was always a fan of Cali-Belgique IPA , now this beer to me has the combo of IPA-German Malt.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. Bottle says enjoy by 10/17/13.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear copper golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of off white head which slowly recede into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a decent amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A hop forward aroma with lots of earthy and floral hints along with some European malt. Earthy hops upfront with some grass, pine resin, and lots of floral hints. Mint like spice. Citrus hop esters of orange, pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit, apricot, and lemon. Bready pilsener malt presence with hints of grains, biscuit, yeast, straw, and cracker. Slight honey like sweet scent. Aroma is very earthy and pretty spicy. Solid smell.

Taste: Like the aroma hints at, a very earthy hop forward taste with good floral and citrus notes along with Euro malt. Earthy taste of grass and spicy pine resin upfront. Big floral and herbal notes. Juicy and bitter citrus fruit taste with notes of orange, tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon zest, and apricot. Bready presence of European malt with notes of grains, biscuit, straw, crackers, and yeast. Hop forward and fairly bitter with a nice Euro style twist. Pretty good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium/high level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy and fairly bitter but pretty smooth. Finishes dry. Alcohol is hidden very well.

Overall: A very solid twist on a IPA. Good earthy and citrus flavors. It could very well be called a "German IPA".

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a gorgeous clear orange with a half finger off-white head. It looks like the normal, beautiful Stone DIPAs. Quite nice. Scents of grassy hops, a bit of honey, slight floral hops, slight earthiness and very slight citrus rind. It's quite mild for a DIPA, even more so for a Stone DIPA. Flavor begins with a big hit of floral flavors and herbal notes, with some citrus thrown in. It's not near as much citrus as expected from a DIPA. A lot of spicy hop flavors, similar to what you get in a German pilsner. There is also a bit of pine. However, the hop character is mostly herbal and floral, with a bit of spice and grassy hops. The finish in particular is quite like oversteeped tea, very bitter, yet floral. Malt wise, there is a bit of sweetness and a dry, grainy malt on the finish. It finishes dry, which is nice. Overall, the flavor is herbal, spicy and floral, with a bit of citrus and grassy hops, and a nice hint of malt to help balance the hops. It's a nice flavor, complex, with all sorts of flavors going on, all of them different, especially from the usual Stone DIPAs. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and a nice resin. It's a typical DIPA mouth, pleasant, and easy to drink, which may be bad for a 9.5% ABV. Overall it's an excellent DIPA, that brings quite a bit new to the table, while keeping a slight bit of pine and citrus that makes it familiar. As long as you don't approach it as though it was Ruination or Scuplin, you can probably enjoy this unique DIPA.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle, it's a beer amongst beers that I can't explain. Imperial IPA with a blast of German hop varieties, I could tell by the first sniff. Looks great copper golden beautiful beer with a slightly off white cream colored head. Extreme German hops, earthy, grassy, and citrus peel come to mind. Full on German, hop assault all pilsner malt. Goes down way too easy, drinks like a session beer, big hop bitterness but it doesn't assault the palate. Lingering bitterness between sips tends to sit on the palate, grapefruit peel acrid bitterness let's up to the bready pilsner malts. Very interesting hybrid DIPA, I give them props for keeping this style so innovative they are no becoming stagnant to the consumers palate which is a very hard thing to do when you're selling extreme beer styles. Overall I couldn't be happier with this Anniversary ale from Stone I bought two bottles of this and the Enjoy By 9/13/13. Both are excellent products from artisanal and marketing point of view.

17th Anniversary Götterdämmerung IPA from Stone Brewing