Love Belgian Beer?

Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety MeetingDark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting

Dark Horse Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our most Aromatic IPA. An 8.5% India Pale Ale that is very reminiscent of the hop’s cousin in the Mulberry family. Lots of hop aroma with just the right amount of bitterness as we still like our balance around here. Between the secret blend of the most DANK hops that we can get our hands on and a "more than healthy" dose of double dry hopping, this beer can be announced to the nose from across the room that someone is definitely having a Safety Meeting.

Added by SportsandJorts on 04-26-2014

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 1,058
3.92/5  rDev -1%

Poured a brownish copper with a half finger of head. The nose is dank and earthy. The flavor is more malty than hoppy but the hops are not entirely missing in this offering.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Has a unique dark, amber appearance with a bit of haze as well.
Aromas of a dank, resiny herbaceous substance, citrus and pine.
Tastes are dominated by the dank resin and some bitter citrus as well.
Nice resiny mouthfeel that lingers pretty well on the palate.
Overall a solid ipa from a brewery that has a lot of good stuff that goes under the radar.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer Looks darker for an IPA but tastes great. It pours a nice sized head and the smell isn't overpowering. Not really bitter and has a smooth feel to it. This is the second beer I tried from Dark Horse that I found in NY and they both surprised me, will definitely try this again and others from this brewery.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Description: Dark (for an IPA), honey color appearance with some white head and lacing. I didn't pick up much from the smell: bit of dankness, bit of pine, but overall there didn't seem to be much there. Taste was bitter and malty. Like the smell there was some dankness, but this didn't seem to be very balanced; just a bitter, malty finish that sort of dominated the beer. Feel was thick for an IPA with low carbonation.

Suggested food pairing: French fries with ketchup...or even catsup.

If you like this beer then you should also try: Two Hearted Ale

Overall: 3.75 (This beer is good but I would not likely drink it again) Not a bad beer but really nothing special about it either. I wouldn't make any special effort to find or drink this one. You could find an equally good IPA from any number of other breweries.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cheers to my sister-in-law who finds time to arrange for some incredible beers to be shipped to from Grand Rapids for my birthday every year or so. This year's haul included a few Dark Horse selections, which I've never had before. We can't find Dark Horse in TX to my knowledge.

Poured into a stemless wine glass just for kicks. Appears an opaque apricot color; almost a dirty color. Very little lace as the beer recedes. The nose is nice. Deep with sweet malts, hoppy pine. Some citrus and mild floral scent. Really nice smell. Taste follows suit, delivering a nice strong malty sweetness. Sweet, but not syrupy, it's more earthy and grounded. The bitter finish ties it all together well in the end. Mouthfeel is smooth.

Overall I think this is a fine beer. The other reviews seem to be consistent, and I think it's a fair assessment. I wouldn't suggest that this is my favorite IPA on the market, but it's quite tasty and I'm grateful to my sister-in-law for shipping it to me to try. If I had regular access to Dark Horse, I could see this becoming part of my regular rotation. Cheers.

Tasted at a beer bracket brewery-off event. Reviewed 6 days after the event. Pours a honey hue. The nose opens with sharp hops, with a balance of both pine and floral elements. The palate opens with a clear strong bittering hop presence, accented by subtle pine. A much more committed shot at double IPA than I expected after being somewhat underwhelmed by their Plead the 5th Imperial Stout (after the rave reviews it had received). This beer proved to be a committed shot at a strong, bitter, west-coast IPA style that ultimately hit its mark, though not in a singular or overwhelmingly unique way. A solid beer. Well crafted, but nothing genre-changing.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Detroit Free Press hyped this beer and somehow made it uncool because of the attention. I can tell you that this is probably an overlooked AIPA in the Michigan beer scene. Don't believe the boo birds and try it for yourself.

It pours a very carbonated amber; strikingly similar to a Vernors. However, it is one of the best smelling, most aromatic AIPAs on the market. Just an enjoyable refreshing smell. You get all the traditional notes of citrus but it brings a sweet aroma that is just intoxicating. Someone mentioned peach or nectarine and I agree; even a faint butterscotch note. Very nice balanced taste without a tremendous pucker makes this a relatively easy drinker. Too many IPAs are bitter for bitter sake. Enjoy the balance.

After coming up short a few times before, I almost gave up on Dark Horse. However, this is easily my favorite brew from Dark Horse and am now in pursuit of a sixer of this.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Into a tulip from 40 degree bottle. Surprised it's not labeled a DIPA w 8.5%..here we go. Deep Amber no head but there is a slight retaining ring. Smell is REALLY hoppy, I can tell it'll be a big bitter pill. Normally I like a citrus scent but this seems subdued in that regard. Not as bitter in taste as I thought. A bit of clove, piney taste, almost like a hoppy saison. Not what I would drink if I went on this description, but I like it. Feels a bit thicker almost like a Lagunitas lil sumtin..overall, for an IPA and not a DIPA I like it. The abv does not hide itself. I think it is actually an IPA on roid rage. Well done!

This beer pours a rich amber color with a solid head and a great sustain. The aroma offers up a huge blast of grapefruit and orange peel, watermelon, ripe peach, nectarine, and some general floral notes. The flavor starts with grapefruit peel, as well as peach and cedar, with a huge finish of pine. The mouthfeel is very dry, with medium fullness. Overall this is a stupendous hop focused beer - and for my taste the huge dry body, citrus start complemented by fruity notes, and then the big pine finish make it a true star. Unforgettable.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Dark amber with a thin 1 finger off white head. Aroma is dark, with citrus and tropical notes yet balanced with some toffee sweetness. Flavor follows the nose and adds some pine bitterness on the finish. A medium body with a sticky feel. Pretty flavorful IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer pours a hazy orange amber color with a one finger light tan head that leaves sticky rings of lacing in its wake. Smell is dank pine, citrus, sweet and bready malts and a small dose of pineapple. Taste is the same. Very well balanced with a slightly bitter finish. Feel is medium and sticky. Overall a very good beer that I would not hesitate to buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Aroma is citrus, strong fruit and light pine. The flavor is citrus, toffee, mild chocolate/dark chocolate, malts, grapefruit and a medium bitter/spicy finish.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Dark horse did good again.
Color is dark, burnt copper. Smell kicks you right where it needs to. Pine and citrus are overwhelming in a cornacopia for your sniffer. Would buy a candle if it smelled like this beer.
Taste has the right bitterness to it 45 ibu I believe? With just a small amt of malt to keep it at bay. Very drinkable, however it sounds difficult to obtain. Will get more if I can find it!!

4.04/5  rDev +2%

Scored this while out in the Midwest for my 10 year reunion. And also thanks to Nick U! Solid.

Anyways, hits you up with those potent orange color scheme out the bottle. Soft 1/3" white head. Aroma was dank like bud, resin, pine, juniper, just forest territory more than fruity.

Taste was a little viscous, caramel, unsweetened, bitter, pine like humidor hops. Plenty of bittering hops here, a potent alcohol level, but no aspect of this is just a mountain too high, it all plays out wonderfully establishing itself right on the cusp of being a elite 1st tier ipa, but falls just short. Nonetheless, it is still a wonderful beer, artwork to pick up when you're in the region.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice copper hue with lots of huge floaters, smells of wet grass, pine, taste is pine, bitter hoppy with just enough malt to balance this DIPA. If this is what a safety meeting smells like, send me a meeting invite. Very nice offering I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am continuing to eradicate the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody while alternating with The CANQuest (tm). The forecast snowstorm may be helpful in my being successful in this endeavor!

I Pop!ped the cap on the Bottle & utilized a gentle pour as is my new wont. I am coming to realize that I may have been doing even the freshest of beers a disservice with my heavy-handed pours & inverted Glugs, so I am backing off. If the idea was to raise head, I can accomplish that with a swirl once the beer is in the glass. Having done so, I had a foamy finger of tawny head that sat defiantly atop the liquid. Color was a slightly-hazy Copper-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22). Nose was, indeed, dank! It smelled richly of pine hops, but underlain with a caramel maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The resinous, pine hops were sticky on my tongue and it had a light alcohol burn to help worm its way into every one of my weakened taste buds. My poor bruised, beaten & battered tongue hates me! The Notes & Commercial Description section seem to indicate that they felt that this was more aroma than bittering in terms of their use of hops, but I would humbly beg to differ. I think that there was an equal measure of both & as a self-avowed hophead, I was happy with the result. In fact, it fed my monkey nicely. He was not howling or even chattering before I got started with this, but he got really happy about halfway into it. Finish was dry, but very cool, very minty, very fresh in the mouth. Phew! What's next?

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

- spiegelau ipa glass. no visible dating.

A: Strong effervesce within a oxidized orange colored body with a creamy, porridge textured beige head that showed a strong retention. Full meaty coverage of lacing.

S: Boozy nose with sweet tangerine, orange peel. Malty-pine moderate scent. Moderate hang time.

T: Very malty forward flavor, lush, toasty and alcohol forward at 8.5% which tastes about right. Pine, juicy hop oils, grapefruit alcohol glow, against a toasted bread backing. Nice snap of alcohol and tang of sour citrus on the finish.

M: Malty, full bodied, chewy, good carbonation, liquid bread.

O: Malty body, alcohol and juicy hops upfront, finishes with a dry hopping of citrus. Lingering grassy-pine bitterness long after the swallow. Juicy, malty, but drinkability would be fairly limited due to abv% and maltiness. Not going to blow you away complexity wise, is not a wet tropical paradise, but rather a west coast tongue punch of bitterness and alcohol.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured an opaque dark copper with a little tan head.
S: It smelled like a safety meeting, with dank herbal hops and citrus zest and bready malt.
T: It tasted like herbal hops and citrus zest, with some barley malt. It had a mostly clean bitter aftertaste with some alcohol warming.
M: It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was a decent IPA, but the scent and taste weren't as bold or dank as I hoped. Certainly not to the same level as Enjoy By. The body was nice, but the finish was hot, so it wasn't that easy to drink. Not a bad brew, but not that great either.

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a big fan. Paid about $15 for a 6-pack after reading positive reviews on Beer Advocate. Smells of pine and grass, with a very boozy taste to me. Would not buy again.

3.92/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a snifter glass on draft here at British Beer Co. in Cape Cod, MA.

Appearance: Beautiful cloudy amber color with medium to heavy bubbles on the body. Head is off-white about one third of an inch with an obvious vigor proud pour. Settles to nada after a sip or two.

Smell: Bland piney scent, super light and weakest property of the beer.

Taste: Complex sweet grapefruit, heavy hops with a dose of nastiness that will reset your palates after every sip.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation, slightly sticky.

Overall: Good beer, actually very good beer...delivers to the point where you will actually fall in lust for the moment and ask for a bit more. Salud.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I didn't find this overly boozy, which is always a concern with imperial IPAs. It is a very hoppy and tasty beer. Had this on tap in a small sample pour (3 or 4 ounces). Paired well with my pizza.

Can't find a bottling date. Hopefully not too old.

A: Pours a clear deep ruby red. Good sized frothy light tan head. No lacing.

S: Candied citrus and lots of dank herbal hops.

T: Lots of herbal and piney hops. Dank indeed. Mild bready malt in the finish. Decent wave of bitterness follows into a lingering bitter and piney aftertaste. Get a little bit of hard candy sometimes too.

M: Medium bodied, easy drinking. Mildly dry.

O: I expected over-the-top hoppiness and instead I got a pretty balanced IPA. Might be an old bottle, I'm not sure. If only they dated this. Drinkability is nice as a result of the balance at least. Lots of herbal flavors and spicy pine. Not fruitiness in this one.

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Not sure I've ever smelled a Safety Meeting so this one may be a bit hard to nail down. Wet grassy notes up front. Dare I say "danky"? Lots of heavy fresh cut grass notes. Very interesting. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Hazy deep amber pour with a moderate white head that retains well. Appears still in the glass.

Flavor: Big rush of grassy and citrus-like hop notes up front. Firm earthy bitterness forms a solid foundation. Balance is to the hoppy bitterness. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste lingers with hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly oily with hop derived astringency. No heat or creaminess.

Overall impression: A big, and yes, dank IPA. Really dangerous, really good. Well worth the hype.

3.84/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into my Dogfish glass.

A: Pours a murky deep copper with 1/2" khaki head that recedes slowly. Retention is quite good. Lacing is not impressive at all.

S: Piney, resinous hop character over a surprisingly assertive malt base. Hints of grassiness & lemon rind are detectable.

T: Fairly aggressive bitterness up front gradually leads into a pine & graham-cracker malt dominated mid palate. The finish features a resurgence of the bitterness with a slight citrus expression. Big flavors, ABV is masked well.

M: Moderate carb married to a rich, muddy malt body. Excessively soapy. Dull finish. Definitely the weak link for this brew.

O: The nose & the flavors here are really quite nice, I'm just dubious about how the 'feel' works with everything else. Altogether quite good IPA.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: cream soda coloring with a nice 1/2" head that stays there

Smell: Very earthy citrusy grassy aromas with a sweet caramel tone

Taste: Solid. Dank, piney, and grassy hops. a bit more malty. very tasty

Mouthfeel: Medium body; smooth

Overall: Delicious , a pleasure to drink

Dark Horse Smells Like A Safety Meeting from Dark Horse Brewing Company