Sapient Trip Ale

Spring
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Sapient Trip AleSapient Trip Ale
Notes: Why is the Grim Reaper holding a mailbox? Well, that mailbox is from a dead Dark Horse beer. The Grim Reaper better know as "Death" was quite found of our classic Sapient Summer Wheat Ale. When we changed it into a Belgian Style Triple, Death thought it would only be appropriate to bring something from that beer into this beer. So he picked the mailbox, and we weren’t about to argue with him. You can say what you want about him, but that Death sure has a big heart. So anyway...we brewed this beer with a Trappist yeast strain so it is very traditional. The flavors are incredibly complex with notes of mild fruit and finishes with a bit of clove. Although this beer is higher in alcohol it is very smooth and finishes dry on the palate.
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
Reviews: 352 | Ratings: 891
3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

What a great American tripel. I think I may prefer Great Lakes Brewing Anniversary Ale, but this beats my beloved Bell's Sparkling Ale hands down. Pours a cloudy, honey and mango color with a nice lace rim. Smells . . . like fresh spring air. There's no real character but freshness, perhaps after a rain. Nicely carbonated, fizzy and spunky that you don't taste actual flavors until swallowing. At first, I thought I perceived an orange honey, yeast, and tangelo flavor. But as I began to write the review, I swiped a drink without concentrating and epiphany! This tastes like a malolactic, not over-oaked California style chardonnay with a yeast and malt twist. The very final note of flavor is in the aftertaste: bitter, but understated.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

Murky orange liquid...
Aromas of candied orange blossoms crushed under new tire rubber. Smoky, creamy and mildly peppered.
On the palate it is sweet and juicy with pulpy, plump red apple flesh, tangerine, hot electrical wires and powdered sugar. There is a naiive candied sweetness to this beer that prevents it from acheiving much better than average drinkability,

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last