Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company
darkhorsebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Spring

Have you read the description for the regular Crooked Tree yet? Well this beer is almost the same just double the flavor and alcohol. We actually took the Crooked Tree recipe and doubled all of the ingredients except the water, just the way a DOUBLE should be made. Big hops balanced with tons of malt give this beer a huge body. Although this beer is as cool as "The Fonz" when first purchased, it gets really mellow and smooth with some age. After a year or two stored in a cool dark place you'll notice the heavy caramel and malt flavors are trying to sneak past the hops. This beer is hugely delicious so it will need your undivided attention (the chores can wait....trust us).

98 IBUs

Added by putnam on 03-05-2005

Ratings: 2,832 |  Reviews: 927

1.28/5  rDev -68.9%

1.38/5  rDev -66.5%

I wanted this to be terrific but sadly it was abysmal.

I'm guessing the bottle was old because the taste was pure malt with a small note of hop flavor.

I will never drink this beer again. I wish I could at least suggest attempting a bottle or draft but I am highly apprehensive.

I may have lost complete faith in dark horse as a result of this one.

The bourbon barrell plead the fifth I had before this pushed my thoughts to the brink. This might have tipped me over.

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yuck. From the putrid dirty brown color to the obnoxious sweet prune nose this has to be one of the worst brews I have had. Nothing going on here from the beginning. It only got worse as I gave it time, baked raisins, chuncky white floaties in a brown liquid, no thanks.

1.7/5  rDev -58.7%

The beer pours dark, smells of malt and alcohol, and it hits the palate with a wallop of malt that is poorly balanced by an infinitesimal pinch of hops. The mouthfeel is flat, heavy, and sticky. It finishes with a cloying flavor I can't quite pin a name on. As others have pointed out, this may be a fine example of some other type of beer but a DIPA it is not. The beer this most reminds me of is Thomas Creek's Up The Creek IIPA which has the same no-hop/hyper-malt boozed and confused profile attempting to pass as an IPA. Unfortunately, I expect a brewer to fill the bottle with something that matches the type specified on the label. My score is based on the fact that I wanted an IPA, paid (quite a bit) for something called an IPA, and ended up with a mixed-style beverage that was too malty for me to enjoy or even tolerate. I'll save the rest for guests I guess.

2.14/5  rDev -48.1%

Dark amber with a touch of off white head.

Smells of intense sweet malt and some faded hops.

Tastes of... the same. Lots of sweet malt and some confused hops in the background.

Mouthfeel is thick with low carbonation.

Super underwhelming beer... not a big fan.

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

2.47/5  rDev -40%

Pours a bright gold color, a bit hazy, and with a nice white head.

Aromas are off, and seem funky. Smells sweet, vegetal, sour, and with a touch of citrus. This seems really off for a DIPA.

Taste isn't right. This tastes mostly like grounded up aspirin tablets. Really gritty, biting, and bitter... with not much else going on. There is a bit of citrus hops, but not much in the way of malts. Really doesn't sit well in my mouth. I don't really care for this one. Bad bottle? Too old?

Mouthfeel is ok, but this is not really something I want lingering in my mouth for very long.

Drinkability is below average. One of the worst DIPAs I have had. I don't think it's a very good beer, it just seems like the brewer went big, and didn't think much about the taste. This is like swallowing a bitter pill... no thanks. I can think of countless other beers in this style that I prefer to this one.

I do appreciate that brandonman63 gave me the opportunity to try this...

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

A Februrary-seasonal DIPA still on shelves in June? Rated 4+ in the BA database? Something here is both so right and so wrong at the same time.

A: Red amber with a persistent, sudsy head. Intimidating in its stillness.

S: Lots of malt and alcohol with a hint of conifer at the finish.

T: A generous alcohol warming across the front of the tongue--it is strong in its residue as well--and a big hop finish in aroma and flavor. Pine scents and tastes fill the back of my tongue and obliterate the alcohol flavors. Despite this brew's ABV, there's not enough malt flavor for it to be a barleywine. It's a hop show from middle to finish.

M: Heavy and burning, with distinct alcohol flavors and residues. Imbalanced and hard to swallow given the forwardness of the flavors.

D: Low, given the fusel character of this brew. It lacks the balance of a great DIPA, which would have a more pronounced malt flavor and a better controled alcohol residue.

Overall, this is an imbalanced example of a DIPA with too forward a hop presence and not enough malt to back up its immaturity. I'll cellar a few bottles and see if things mellow out with another two years. Until then, stick to other DIPAs.

2.62/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured a very deep and hazy amber color, with some notable sediment evident in the bottom of the glass. No real carbonation to speak of and this go along with the head as well. There was just not any at all. It poured rather lifeless into the glass and just kind of sat there looking dull. No side glass lace at all, not really impressive on the look here to be quite honest.

S - Aroma was highly charged with the whiff of alcohol. Just overpowering and brutal would be two very good words to describe it. Once you get past this it was a full on assault of hard bitter pine hops. Nothing at all in the balance here, this one was just all about the IBU and ABV apparently, well at least upon the nose that is.

T - The flavor was about as harsh, bitter, and astringent as you can get. This one just totally started to kick your but from the very first sip. A total tongue eraser would be a good way to put it. Tons of ABV from the first sip, very harsh and a really all too noticeable presence there. The hops were not overly flavorful, but rather a harsh mixture which just seemed to try to batter you more then anything else. A really just a massive quantity of bitterness and abv. Nothing else really to say as far as that.

M - Feel was very dull, again and rather lifeless. Just no real body of depth to it... It had a slick feel with no carbonation what so ever. Did not feel overly thick or thin, but rather was just completely lifeless and boring would be the best way to describe. Again not really thrilled here.

D - Almost none really. It was almost too much to be a sipper. Now I am a fan of big doubles, but this was too much even for me. Just nothing really redeeming about it. Too much of everything and not enough life just is a bad combo.

Overall I will pass; this was not even worth a novelty look as far as I am concerned. It was just an overdone double that had too much emphasis put on blowing away taste buds and jacking up the ABV. Maybe I got a bad bottle, I don't know, but this was not really as enjoyable as I would have liked. Too big for its own good would be the best way to describe it. I tried it, and I have had worse, but I have had much, much better. Overall I will pass and wait for the next round. I guess it might be good to try, hopefully just a flat bottle, but defiantly unimpressed and completely under whelmed. Now the bottle, top notch, awesome graphics and a wax seal, both very nice touchs, however I just wish what was inside could have lived up to how good it looked outside.

2.73/5  rDev -33.7%