Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company
darkhorsebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Spring

Have you read the description for the regular Crooked Tree yet? Well this beer is almost the same just double the flavor and alcohol. We actually took the Crooked Tree recipe and doubled all of the ingredients except the water, just the way a DOUBLE should be made. Big hops balanced with tons of malt give this beer a huge body. Although this beer is as cool as "The Fonz" when first purchased, it gets really mellow and smooth with some age. After a year or two stored in a cool dark place you'll notice the heavy caramel and malt flavors are trying to sneak past the hops. This beer is hugely delicious so it will need your undivided attention (the chores can wait....trust us).

98 IBUs

Added by putnam on 03-05-2005

Ratings: 2,848 |  Reviews: 929
4.09/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. No freshness dating apparent. Mostly clear body that is amber/orange with a strong red tint. Dense two-finger head that has good retention and leaves rings of lacing.

The aroma doesn't jump out at me, but is pleasant enough. Mostly sweet overall with the sweeter citrus aromas coming through and a caramel maltiness is apparent.

I do like the flavor. It is sweet but not cloying. The hop notes are on the tropical and sweet citrus side of the spectrum and blend in nicely with the caramel malt.

Medium to heavy on the thickness and mouthfeel, with a touch of alcohol present, but not a problem. Although there are no dates on the bottle, I don't think it is old but it just arrived in our market and was recommended by my "beer guy," meaning I don't expect that the hops have faded. Enjoyable to drink and solid east coast style here.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Pours out a nice cloudy, orange-brown color with a sticky head. Lots of floaties as usual with Dark Horse, and lacing galore.

S - Smells like grapefruit, tangerine, pine, alcohol, and some sweet malt buried in there too.

T - Tastes like more of the same, lots of orange up front, pine, grapefruit, cotton candy and marshmallow and some malts.

M - Mouthfeel is a mouthful, but a good mouthful.

O - Overall a big badass double IPA which is quite complex to my palate. The nose has a whiff of alcohol, being such a big beer it would be near impossible to completely hide which it does do very well in the taste with a nice alcohol warming. A nice seasonal offering but not something so unique I can't satisfy my cravings elsewhere.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

poured 12oz bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A - Very dark rusty brown in color with quite a bit of material floating around. Good thing it is a dark color to hide it well. Head is about just over a finger white-cream color that goes down to a ring around the glass..

S - Aromas of floral and hops, slight pine and citrus. Plenty on malt in this DIPA.

T - I get the malt and caramel right away followed quickly by pine bitter. Finishes with more bitter and a hint of grapefruit.

M - Lower on the carbonation with a medium body. Not much oily hop residue left in my mouth.

O - This is a DIPA that is much different from the normal. Big malts with good bitterness make it a sipper. It is a bit pricey, but worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a slightly hazed orange/reddish color. A two finger white head forms, and gently recedes to a ring. Rings of lace are left behind.
S: Pine, grapefruit, perfume like hops. A large sweetness as well. There is certainly some lingering bitterness, but not nearly as much as I thought there was going to be.
T: There it is. Supper hoppy, and super sweet at the same time. Pine, resin, kind of perfume like. Very sweet and even some woody flavors. Lingering bitterness and ethanol burn.
M/D: A full body with moderate carbonation. Thick, resinous, and sticky. Oh man this is hot. I can feel this all the way down my throat. Burning ethanol like alcohol.

This is a monster. The hops and malt are big, but not overpowering. The alcohol is just huge which pretty much ruins the experience for me. I am struggling to get through the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Got my growler filled at cellarbrations Carlisle and pours a orange amber hue with a creamy two finger off white head and lacing everywhere,the smell is strong marmalade,boiled candy,pine,citrus and kumquats,the mouthfeel is thick and creamy with tastes of kumquats,boiled candy,pineapple,grapefruit and finished with a citrus bitterness and overall it's a big beer and surprisingly hides its big ABV very well and I'd def drink again cheers.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date into a Duvel tulip.

DCT pours a very pretty bright hazy orange-amber with a good 1.5" off white head that sticks around. Moderate lacing on the glass as well.

Nose is super hoppy and sweet. Tropical aromas as well as candied citrus fruits up front. Very sharp fruitiness with a bit of alcohol as well. A little caramelly malt reveals itself as the beer warms. Really excellent smelling beer that wowed me as soon as I opened the bottle. Far more complexity in the nose than your typical (or even above typical) DIPA.

First sip: Holy COW is this bitter! I consider myself a hophead and have had a good number of IPAs and DIPAs but this one really floored me with the bitterness. Once you get past the bitterness the sweet hoppy flavors come out. Suggestions of orange meld with slightly caramelly malts. Not really picking up any heat but the alcohol can be tasted on the back of the tongue. As it warms the malt over takes the hops a fair bit but still remains balanced. Super long, super bitter finish.

Very smooth, mouthfeel almost to the point of creaminess. Not too heavy on the tongue and has an almost perfect amount of carbonation to keep this 12%er surprisingly refreshing.

Overall quite liked this beer. I've read about people aging it but I think I'll drink my other 3 as fresh as possible.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle from HalftimeBeverage.com. No Apparent bottle date. Served in a Three Floyds teku.

Pours a murky, ruddy chestnut with a half finger pale head that leaves a good bit of lace.

Smells of big, dank hops, citrus, pine, sweet bready malts, caramel and sugar.

Taste pretty much follows the nose. Dank, pine and citrus hops a-plenty. Quite bitter but with a good strong, malty sweetness to back it up without quite "balancing". A little spice and a little booze. Goes down very smooth for a 12% abv brew.

Medium thick body, slightly oily with fairly light carbonation. Lingering bitter citrus peel finish.

A true DIPA here. I appreciate that they double the ingredients. It comes out flavorful and potent. I'd age one to see what kind of barleywine it makes but I doubt I have the self control to not drink them all as-is.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company