Scotty Karate Scotch Ale | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company
darkhorsebrewery.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

Available September to March.

Added by ypsifly on 01-28-2006

Ratings: 1,804 |  Reviews: 601
4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.95/5  rDev -1%

12oz bottle
Served in a snifter

A - It pours a deep copper color and is topped with an inch of beige head.

S - The aroma is a ton of caramel and toffee malt. No alcohol to speak of.

T - The taste follows the nose, tons of caramel and toffee malt. The alcohol is well hidden.

M - Moderate

O - This malt bomb is packed with alcohol. I didn't realize it was 9.75% until my third. That explains my happiness despite my bracket being busted.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

A-a dark chestnut brown with a slight ruby like tinge. A small amount of white head leaves a bit of lacing around the top.

S-Smell is very nice. Big sticky malt and caramel predominates, with some dark sticky fruits mixed in.

T-Taste matches the smell but is even bigger, if that is possible. Big sweet malts, caramel, and a very light fruitiness.

M-full body, one of the biggest I can remember having in a while. Low/Medium carbonation and a malty sweet finish.

Overall this is one of the better scotch ales I’ve had. Big malt and caramel, full body, and great aroma. I will look for this again.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The label and the name got me again: really, how could you pass up a beer called Scotty Karate, especially when it’s emblazoned in a crazy purple and yellow designs? Plus, it’s my first Dark Horse beer, and that certainly helped me make the decision.

No freshness date to be found, but it was probably brewed recently (since I just began seeing it on the shelves).

A: Classic Scotch ale murkiness on the body, pouring a brownish-maroon color that lets just about 20% of light through. As I swirl it, I’m imagining what it would look like if you liquefied a chocolate Tootsie Pop; I’m guessing it would look something like this. Short and creamy white was the head – I say “was” because it’s down to nothing in a matter of seconds, without even a thought of lacing. For now, some bubbles hit the top of the body and make fizzy little patterns of film, and that’s all there is to the head. Though it’s 9.75% ABV, it doesn’t show off a thick character – on the contrary, its body color and lack of a head put a watery spin on the appearance.

S: Wow – I love this beer’s nose. Scotch ales have a tendency to have this overpowering booze and peat aroma, usually distracting me from everything underneath, but not this time: turns out that Scotty has a predominantly sweet profile, with notes of everything from cherry and strawberry to peach cobbler, pear, and raisin. This light, cheerful presence is contrasted by a wave of malt soon after, rising up high on aromas of maple syrup and caramel before crashing (smoothly) into the peat, wood, and chocolate aromas that have defined my previous Scotch ale experiences. Going along that same theme, there’s a noseful of whiskey at the end, almost as if Scotty needed to confirm with my memory that this really is a Scotch ale.

T: Miso soup. How the hell…? I’m seriously getting a crazy taste memory of that brothy Japanese dish every time I take a drink. And you know what? I kind of like it. It’s probably due to the buttery, grainy, somewhat salty malt/hop balance that casts its character over the rest of the beer’s palate – to me, though, it brings a good sensation to the taste buds, and that’s all that really matters in the end. Between the two, the hops are probably the main culprit, which are astringently pale but without so much as a second of pine or citrus taste. The malts give off that buttery straw feeling, but with some apple butter, fresh pear, and grape jelly flavors. Yeast and alcohol, playing second fiddle to the Asian food profile, give some rye bread and bourbon spice before hitting the aftertaste with a nutty earthiness. Some bitter hop notes end up mixing in to form a lightly-salted finish.

M: Not as watery as the appearance made it seem, though thankfully not as thick as miso soup. Good balance between the two extremes, you might say, though the watery tone wins out in the end.

O: I had an odd, yet pleasant experience with this beer. At least it left with something to remember it by, at least; and even apart from that, it certainly was a good beer. Give me a month and a second bottle to see if I get some more tastes of Japanese food…

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Pours a clear deep amber/copper with one finger of creamy tan head. Head has pretty good retention, eventually fading to a collar. Some lacing.

S - Sweet caramel malt and earthy brown bread, some spice,and a faint raisin aroma. Didn't really get any alcohol aroma from this.

T - Starts with a big rush of sweet caramel and quickly turns quite dry. Very bready, with a nice dense brown bread taste. Some subtle dark fruits and a faint tea-like flavor on the finish.

M - Starts a bit sticky sweet and very creamy. Finishes earthy and dry.

O - One of my favorite Scotch Ales. Very drinkable. Nice combination of initial sweetness eventually yielding to an earthy dryness.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%

Purchased from a reliable bottle shop 11/2011 and well stored at 45 degrees since.

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature Snifter.

Pours a huge two finger head, frothy, this reduces very slowly to a ¼ “ head, then to a very nice opaque cap, which is excellent progression for a bottled beer, picture perfect.
Very deep reddish amber with fine bubble carbonation. Excellent thick lace which clings to the side of the glass. Beautiful Ale look.

Malt and yeast dominated aroma when first poured, followed by candish sweet malt and a sense of richness, sorry this is the best I can do because I sense there is more here than I can detect.

Big, crisp, frothily carbonated and malty entry on the palate followed by rich, faintly chocolate, candied, yeasty ale flavors. Rather refined and elegant flavors. Full mouth feel, with the acidity and carbonation just balancing everything out. There us no sense of this ale being 9.7 % ABV. Delicious!

Good smooth finish of candied malt.

For whatever reason, visually, tonight’s pour was a classic. Bravo!
While maybe not overly complex it has what it takes to be a Scotch Ale.
With no bottle date info and the fact that I had stored it for a while, this ale may be past its prime, I really don’t know.
That being said, take the chance, it was delicious and a very enjoyable ale, and one that I will be drinking again.
Recommended!

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a very cloudy, milk chocolate brown color with a thin tan head.

S: Gratuitous malty sweetness fills the nose and lingers beyond anything else while hints of Belgian yeastiness and dark, heavy fruits meander their way through as well.

T/M: Tastes sweet with plum, dates, even some chocolate. Really very nice and one of the sweeter scotch ales. Faint traces of alcohol become apparent at the end, but it's not terribly potent and it tends to balance the sweetness for a cleaner finish.

An interesting and unique scotch ale, but a great one at that.

TheBeerAlmanac.com