Scotty Karate Scotch Ale | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Dark Horse Brewing Company
darkhorsebrewery.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Availability: Fall

Available September to March.

Added by ypsifly on 01-28-2006

Ratings: 1,817 |  Reviews: 603

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Murky chestnut brown with a 1/2 finger of tan head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Caramel, hazelnut, bread, candy sugar and hints of cocoa.

Taste
Huge notes of caramel doused breads. Tons of maltiness. Brown sugar, hazelnut and candy sugar. Light notes of cocoa nib and peat smoked malt.

Mouthfeel
Full bodied, silky, smooth and sweet.

Overall
Now that's a Scotch Ale! The 9.75% abv is hardly noticeable. Good stuff!

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

A - Pours out a nice dark reddish brown with a very nice tan head. The head dissipates fairly quickly. Overall this looks very pleasing to the eye

S - Slighlty bready with a faint smell of bananas. This tipped me off that something might not be right here for this particular sampling. For a scotch ale this wasn't what I expected. The aroma is nice however and very inviting.

T - Waaay over the top. This isn't bad but what I was expecting for taste wasn't there. I can pick up a hint of that signature scotch ale flavor but it is overpowered by a toffee flavor and a malty sweetness. I suspect that this particuylar batch didn't quite get finished...maybe due to the higher ABV.

M - Not unpleasant but you do get sense that there is a lot of alcohol in this beer. It almost warms you up after you swallow. For as big a beer as it is, it seemed a thin possibly due to the alcohol content.

O - This isn't a bad beer but not what I expected when I picked it up. I think the high alcohol content is interfering with the scotch ale beer style. I suspect that tis particular batch was quite done...like the yeast died out before completely finishing the job.

On a positive note...I like where Dark Horse Brewing is going, a big version of a hearty beer style. I don't think they quite have it with this batch but it won't deter me from trying any of there other offerings. I this case it seems the yeast they are using wasn't able to tolerate the amount of malt that was used.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.7/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter.

Appearance: Dark ruby-brown color with a one-finger off-white head which dissipates quickly and leaves a nice lacing down the glass.

Smell: Fruity - much more fruity up front than a typical scotch ale. There's some dark fruits as well as fruity yeast esters. Caramel, leather, and a light smokiness round out the aroma. Pretty complex.

Taste: A little lighter in flavor than the aroma would suggest. Fruitiness is also more subdued. The caramel, leather, and smoke come out more here. There's also a bit of iodine flavor on the finish that I'm not particularly fond of.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thin body. I definitely prefer more body in my scotch ales. The carbonation level is also a bit higher than I would like.

Overall: This is a very solid example of a scotch ale, but ultimately a bit rough right now. I feel like this would benefit from some age.

3.69/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No date but I believe this to be at least 2 years old.

A: Pours a murky brown with a big fizzy light brown head. Head fizzes out fairly quickly but with great retention. Decent tufts of lacing everywhere.

S: Toffee and caramel. Some dark fruits and some dark bready malt.

T: Again, lots of toffee up front and throughout the beer for that matter. Decent amount of caramel sweetens it. Touches of dark fruits. Dark bread malt in the finish. Finish and aftertaste is a dry, almost bitter toffee with a little bit of peat in fact.

M: Smooth and medium bodied.

O: Decent scotch ale. Toffee heavy, if that is your thing. I'm not a huge fan so I couldn't give it big points. Still one of the better ones out there if I'm honest. On the sweet, caramelly side as well.

Scotty Karate Scotch Ale from Dark Horse Brewing Company