Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: Doppelbock

Added by oberon on 10-18-2007

Reviews: 444 | Ratings: 1,026
4.18/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Beer comes out of the bottle somewhat light in color, but by the time the glass is full, it's a rich mahogany. Do you know...where you're going to? Head fizzles down fairly quickly, very gentle film of foam on the top, and a nice 1 mm thick ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - VERY nice. Roasted espresso, maybe some vanilla bean, just a touch of earthy hopness.

Taste - Perfect blend of sweet and bitter. The beer is a little colder than it's supposed to be served at - so at first, there is limited flavor. As it warms on the palate, a rich array of flavors dances out. Pipe tobacco, roasted malt, gentle vanilla, espresso, only the slightest hint of hop action.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as it ought to be...although nicely carbonated. It expands on the tongue, and coats the palate with a tasty residue, finishes pretty wet. It would be hard to drink a lot of these.

Overall - I am impressed. I used to disdain bocks in general - this may have reopened my mind to them. Thanks Dark Horse.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a deep mahogany brown with not so much a head as a mild fizzing that sticks around on the edges of the glass. Smells of coffee and a malty sweetness and a mild bread-like smell. Taste is malty, chocolaty coffee with the coffee dominating the finish. Notes of cinnamon poke out as the glass warms a bit. The coffee has definitely toned down in the 6 months or so since I purchased it, but I think that is actually an improvement as the other flavors of the beverage are allowed to come forward. Overall, another solid, well-balanced brew from Darkhorse that I could sit and drink all evening and probably will.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/4 finger of tan cream-colored head with decent retention. Hazy dark reddish brown, I would think this should be clearer. I'd also like more head.

S: Coffee is front and center. Some estery alcohol. Desireable.

T: Creamy, slight bitterness. Tasty. The highlight of this beer. Rich, hearty, great balance, not boozy.

M: Slight bitterness, some mild heat, chewy but still a tad thin.

D: Pretty good. I might order another and I might buy again, but not a six pack.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

(copied from blog - written January 5, 2013)

Appearance – Pours into the glass an opaque reddish brown with a staggering thin white head.
Smell – Smells of vanilla and coffee and a slight caramel or brown sugar sweetness.
Taste – Definitely able to slightly taste the high alcohol content but that taste could also be attributed to the coffee beans.

The thing I love about this beer is that it reminds me of drinking an iced Irish coffee. It is a coffee dopplebock as stated on the label so obviously coffee is the driving force behind the flavor but as I said before you can slightly taste alcohol, then you add some vanilla cream and sugar and there you have it.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

From a bottle into a snifter

Smell is like brewed coffee grounds. Dang I love that smell!!

Taste is coffe upfront then the follow of dopple. Classic flavor.

Not too thin which is huge relief. This concerned me...

Overall very happy with this years brew. It has been hit or miss in the past but glad 2012 was A O K.

Another brew from knight84

A: Pours a dark brownish light blackish color with hints of red showing thru. The half finger head quickly rises only to die just as fast. Several small spots of lacing.

S: Perkulator is a fitting name. This one is coffee, coffee, and more coffee. A bit of toasted caramel malt as well.

T: Matches aroma. Tons of nice fresh coffee. The coffee taste starts a bit strong and bitter only to be overtaken by a wave of sweetness. The sweetness sort of lingers at which time a creamyness comes out. A bit of hops and bitter chocolate peek thru in the finish.

M: Very light brew with light carbonation.

D: The taste makes this one very drinkable for me.

Overall: I love coffee brews. This one has a nice level of coffee flavor with a perfect amount of sweetness. I am not a huge fan of dopplebocks, but this is my third coffee dopplebock. When you add coffee to this style of brew I reaaallly like it.

Thanks knight84.

4.17/5  rDev +11.8%

a pour into my sam adams perfect pint glass produces a crimson-hued brown with a thin film of light tan head that leaves a nice film on the glass.

smells strongly of dark brewed coffee that has been sitting for a couple of hours. also some caramel, black strap molasses, and some bitter hops.

Taste has plenty of dark roasted black coffee up front. bitter coffee. Then the sweetness kicks in similar to a traditional doppelbock: caramel, molasses, and brown sugar. the tastes work very well together. a wonderful pairing.

typical mouthfeel for a doppelbock: lager crisp in the finish on a light-medium bodied brew. the coffee flavors had me expecting and almost wanting a thicker, creamer feel, but the crisp finish worked relatively well to isolate the bitter coffee finish.

drinks very well. flavors and aromas work together and accentuate the good aspects of each other. maybe could be a bit stronger in the doppelbock or beery flavors, but its still a wonderful beer.

I don't know how often this has been done before, but it should be done more. Obviously, you have to enjoy coffee for this one, not that it overpowers in any way, but its there from start to finish.

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Brown pour with a red tint. Good clarity. Lacing is non-existant and hte foamy head settled fast.

S - Really impressed with the fresh scent of ground coffee beans. The smell is like a fine espresso in a french cafe. There is a slight smell of sweet malts. Hard to find any fault with this beer.

T - Initial sweetness of sugar is balanced by the bitterness of fresh coffee. Seriously; where do they get these coffee beans? This is some good stuff. Not much else in the flavor but this is a simple beer that just tastes good.

M - If it was late night at a pub I'd be all over this beer. In other situations the coffee flavor my be a bit much. Slight coating on the tongue. Balance and carbonation seems about right.

O - Almost like Peche Mortel's younger brother. A solid coffee infused beer that does one thing, and does it well.

4.16/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from the brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Label depicts a rather Satanic looking scene with a two headed beast with "Ferment" tattooed on his forearm enjoying his beer. Cool artwork, but he does seem to have some varicose vein issues going on with his legs...

A - Opaque dark brown body with a tiny cap of beige head. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of head on this beast...especially since I expected at least two heads from what the label depicted.

S - Big dark roasted coffee nose, smells like freshly ground coffee beans. LOVE the way it smells!

T & M - Very tasty brew! The big coffee front end plays nicely with the hint of dark bitter chocolate. This is a coffee lovers beer to be sure! The mouthfeel is a little on the light side and slightly coarse from the carbonation. It does finish nicely though.

D - I love coffee beers and this one did not disappoint. You would have to have an affinity for coffee to enjoy this one, as the coffee flavor is big. I could drink this all day, and I think it would be a perfect "breakfast beer". I'll have a hard time sharing this with my friends. Delicious!

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

(On-tap at City Taphouse, Philadelphia)

Dark Horse Perkulator is a beer I was not familiar with, but as I finishing dinner at City Taphouse, I thought this would be a nice beer that would pair well with dessert. The beer is very dark even by doppelbock standards and has a light coffee aroma to go with the strong smell of toasted bread, browning butter and burning sugar. The beer is like a latte with a roasted aroma from coffee and toasted malt upfront, with sweetness and body from the caramelized malt. This paired very well with a rich chocolate cake and bread pudding, both served with fresh strawberries and blueberries.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up a single at the Main Party Store in Ann Arbor, MI.

This is a great coffee beer for it's balance. In my opinion, too many coffee beers are all about the beans, with beer just acting as a prop. Perkulator pairs the smooth malty caramel of a doppelbock with fresh, dark-roasted coffee and I'm loving it. Easy to drink from the not-too-thick (for a doppel) body and delicious. A must-try for fans of coffee beer.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

It's time for the Perkulator...

This has to be a fresh bottle, it was released just a month or two ago. Looks like there are no other bottle reviews from IL at the moment. Found this at Logli in Love's Park, IL.

Really cool guest artwork on the label(s), one depicts coffee perculator rocketships, the other is a a 2-headed, winged goatman. Both labels were in the same 4-pack.

Deep scarlet color in the light, noticeably lighter than some other Doppels out there. Some light white foam that reduces to a skim with a starburst of bubbles in the center.

Aroma straight from the bottle of coffee and strangely peanut butter when the last sediment is swirled. In the glass, faint coffee candy is detected. Subdued and pleasant.

Light astringent coffee taste, followed by some toffee/caramel character. Malty and medium-bodied, but still light enough to drink effortlessly. Very low level roast bitterness surfaces only in the aftertaste. Coffee flavor reminds me of a dialed-down Breakfast Stout, with much more malt presence.

I'm praying for an imperialized/super-sized version someday in the future. Nice creative execution guys, well done...

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

I've long been afraid of bocks. Considered them the bitter German dregs of already bitter German beer. Basically the beer equivalent of marijuana resin....er, so I hear. Despite mild intrigued, I've passed this by in the store many times. After seeing on tap at Dusty's and giving a 1/2 oz pour a test drive, hey, this ain't so bad! Let's try it.

Coffee bomb. If you don't like coffee, or don't like it in your beer, this is not the drink for you. Fortunately I love coffee in nearly everything. The small is Folger's or something. Malt and grains follow meekly in the background. For me, this is a good thing. Goes down dangerously easy. But is also very sweet. I suspect that might contribute to the drinkability and get tiresome after a while.

I have been down on Dark Horse lately. I've sent some bottles out in trades to people who expressed mild disappointment in them, and while I like PT5 and BBPT5, I don't like them as much as the masses and don't see what the fuss is all about. I really enjoyed this beer, though and it has me reconsidering DH as an upper-echelon brewery.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Roasty dark brown, nice tan head, good looking.

Nose is coffee and malt, deep but needs more.

Taste is a great match of coffee up front, dopplemalt in the back, finish is balanced, very nice.

Easy drinker, mouthfeel is a bit thin, but nice. Goes down easy with cookies or chocolate, very good.

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Received this brew as an extra from the very generous Hoppymeal. So far I've been super impressed with Dark Horse and I love coffee in my beer. Drank from my Rogue Kells Irish Style Lager pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark reddish brown with a decent half finger light tan head that recedes fairly quickly. Leaves behind a super light cap and a fairly thin collar and zero lacing.
Smell- Coffee, coffee, coffee and a bit more coffee. If I didn't know that it was a reddish brown color I'd swear that it was jet black just from the nose. A bit of sweet caramel malt mixes with the coffee and is a bit reminiscent of hazelnut Starbucks.
Taste- Starts lightly sweet with a bit of warm caramel and some chocolate. The coffee is always around but definitely not as dominant as the nose. A lightly citrus twang is evident on the way down before the alcohol has a chance to kick in. The aftertaste is of lightly toasted coffee grinds.
Mouthfeel- A bit thin but smooth and slick with lightly crisp carbonation.
Drinkability- Yet again Dark Horse blows me away. My main man tpd975 was right when he sang the praises of this brewery. This is a great brew if you like coffee but if you don't, it probably won't be your favorite. The aftertaste can be slightly sweet but that is about the only negative. Big thanks again to Derek!

4.14/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Very deep brown, almost black in color, with ruby highlights. Thin, light tan head with somewhat poor retention.

Aroma-I get dark, roast coffee bean aroma as the strongest note, with lighter burnt malt notes and some sweet caramel hints. Light cinnamon as well. No fruity esters, and no hops. Often times I get vegetal, green pepper aromas when I smell beers with coffee added, but those are noticeably absent in this one (thank god). Smells like coffee, which I'm thinking is what they were going for.

Flavor-Sweet caramel and roasted malt up front, which quickly is overtaken by strong coffee notes. In the finish, the coffee flavor builds and carries long into the aftertaste. That said, the beer tastes balanced, not overly coffee-like, and very tasty. The roasted malt and coffee provide tempering bitterness to offset the malt as opposed to hop bitterness. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel-rich, medium full body, with moderate carbonation. Relatively smooth but a little bit chalky in the finish from the roast.

Very tasty and good aromatics, but I wouldn't want to drink a ton of this one. They did do a very good job of weaving the coffee flavors and aromas into the beer without totally overpowering all of the other flavors.

4.14/5  rDev +11%

On tap at Bodega.

Dark brown color, no head on my pour.

Smells of coffee and light sweet caramel malts. Slightly bready, but the coffee steals the show.

The taste has a huge coffee character. I never expected so much coffee flavor in a beer that wasn't a stout or porter. So, though it was a big surprise, it was a good one. This was delicious. Sweet but not bitter, dark muddled baker's chocolate, sweet alcohol esters. The flavor profile is almost entirely of coffee though, excellent iced coffee.

Fairly light bodied and very drinkable. This beer has totally reworked my opinion of Dark Horse.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Bottle dated 0253 poured into a shaker pint.

A: A deep burnt orange with a one finger head that looks like milk with a bit of coffee poured in. The head fades quickly and provides little to any lacing.

S: Smells like my morning cup of coffee and sweet roasted malts, with a hint of dark fruits. I'm really hoping the aroma doesn't disappoint.

T: The taste doesn't. Huge coffee flavor upfront even though the bottle appears to be about a year old. Big malty backbone, dark fruits and hints of dark chocolate throughout. Everything I could want from a coffee dopplebock. Finishes with just a touch of dryness that makes you want another sip immediately.

M: Dare I say this is perhaps a bit more carbonated than it should be for the style? I prefer my bocks a bit on the chewier side, and this has a medium mouthfeel at best. It's not *bad* mind you, but it's not how I'd make it if it was my own creation. Also, for having 7.5% alcohol, absolutely none of it shows up in the drinking of this beer, even as it warms.

O: Mouthfeel aside, this is pretty much exactly what I would want out of a coffee dopplebock. Easy to drink, substantive without being overbearing. If this had a bit better head, this would be up there with NG's Uff Da for my favorite bock. As it is, it is just half a step below. Truly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle
Served in a pilsner glass
Note: my bottle lists a 7% ABV

A - It looks brown at first, but when held to a light it reveals that it is a very dark amber. I got about four inches of tan head. Upon further inspection, I notice some suspended yeast.

S - It has strong coffee notes. It smells of fresh grounds.

T - I get a pretty strong taste of coffee. There is some black coffee bitterness on the finish. It has none of the malty sweetness that I associate with doppelbocks.

M - Medium with a decent amount of carbonation.

O - This is the best coffee tasting beer, aside from the more traditional stouts and porters, I have had. It has a big coffee aroma and taste. This is a great coffee beer to drink if you are not in the mood for the fullness of a coffee stout.

poured into a tulip

A - Brown with a bubbly tan head

S - Strong espresso smells with a bit of sweetness. Smells just like what you'd want in a coffee beer.

T - Nice espresso flavor dominates with a sweet malt flavor at the end.

M - medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Can really pick up the typical lager mouthfeel.

D - If you like coffee you'll like this one. This is an enjoyable beer and I'd drink it again but wouldn't go crazy trying to find it.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

I bought a four-pack from my favorite speciakty store today. I have been wanting to try this for awhile.

It pours a dark, rich ruby/brown color into the glass. Not much head, and what is there disappears soon.

I can definitely smell the coffee and a caramel malty sweetness. The first taste reveals a subdued coffee flavor for the the amount noticeable in the aroma. The coffee flavor is noticeable throughout the sip. Caramel and malty sweetness mellow out this brew.

The body is a little light for this style, but this is still a very enjoyable brew. I think I will enjoy another after entering this review.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

A coffee dopplebock? I’m sold. Cheers.

A: Hazy brown, body, almost no head. Thick and dark, looking more like beer mixed with coffee than a coffee beer. Small spots of lacing with silky-smooth beige retention.

S: A hell of a lot of coffee: hazelnut-flavored cream and spent grounds waft huge from the body, sweet and creamy rather than bitter and roasty. Luscious vanilla and half-and-half aromas continue, resting atop the fruity date, mineral water, and buttery caramel of dopplebock character.

T: From first sip, you can taste both the bock and the coffee flavors – very well-balanced. Sweet cookies and cream, vanilla, sugar cookie, and Irish cream with a medium-bodied fruit underbelly of fig and date. Bock notes continue with bread, burnt sugar, semisweet chocolate, and tangy, brandy-like alcohol, sprinkled lightly by a watery coffee flavor. There’s a bitter kick as the coffee fades, but it happens rather fast, like the coffee was added more for aroma than for flavor. Finishes a tad dry from the coffee roasts, with lingering malt syrups that are common in dopplebocks and Scotch ales.

M: Medium body, right in between thin and thick. It goes down smooth but refreshingly drinkable. It’s like milk: I’d rather drink it cold, but that’s not because it needs it to compensate for wateriness. Yep; milky.

O: This has a coffee character much unlike most dark coffee beers: it’s light, it’s aromatic, and it’s much more like coffee and cream than fresh-ground java. I enjoyed it immensely. I could see myself drinking this is in the morning or after dinner, though I think I’ll keep the pre-noon drinking to a minimum…at least until the weekend.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks to my father for getting me this beer while on business in Michigan.Served this chilled, in a pint glass, from a twelve ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: Perkulator Coffee Doppelbock pours out a dark brown color that has some amber highlights. A somewhat hard pour yields about a finger of tannish frothy foam. Head recedes to a thin off white coating atop the beer. Some spotty lace was left behind after each sip. Definitely a good looking beer.

Smell: Great, rich nose on this beer. Strong roasted coffee aromas are noticed first. Touches of caramel around the edges. A big malt backbone makes a great base for this beer.

Taste: Definitely some coffee in this brew. Roasted, and not overpowering. More complimentary than anything. Again, a wonderful malt backbone on which this beer is built. More coffee and caramel in the crisp, clean finish. All alcohol is completely hidden. A tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium bodied mouthfeel. Crisp, clean, and smooth. Carbonation is a bit on the lower side.

Drinkability: Very drinkable brew. Smooth and quite complex.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

cold from jerod's tap at the uptown a deep cola black / brown to an imperial bells pint with a full finger tan head

aroma of sweetened black coffee

great big sweet coffee forward, molasses, graham cracker.

medium bodied, super sweet, medium carbonation.

overall: great example of a coffee beer.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Deep, transparent brown with a thin but sturdy layer of head across the top. No real lacing to speak of but that's not really a must for most bocks in my book.

Oh, man...What a one-two-punch that is! Strong roasted coffee beans and sweet, dark malt abound on the nose.

Well, that's just plain good. Coffee is steady throughout but never manages to overpower the malt to the degree that you forget that it is a doppelbock. Molasses and cacao are hinted at but it always comes back to the coffee around the edges. All bitterness (of which there is plenty) seems to be derived from coffee and not hops.

Mouthfeel is spot-on with even carbonation and absolutely no unwanted syrupy qualities or listlessness. Still, it should be a tad thicker for what it claims to be. I'm not sure how drinkable this would be all the time, but I'm downing this before noon (I work early, don't giggle) so it works great for me. Almost makes me want a donut...

Thanks to emerge077