Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: Doppelbock

Added by oberon on 10-18-2007

Ratings: 1,026 |  Reviews: 444

2.77/5  rDev -25.7%

I'll be honest: when I got this four pack, I thought something was wrong with the beer. After reading around, though, it seems to be normal, and just to offend most of my senses as almost no beer has before. I went into this one with high hopes based on the coffee and the Dark Horse beers I've already had, but man, was I ever disappointed.

It pours a Coca-Cola black with little or no head and no lacing in a snifter. On the nose the first thing that comes to mind is mushrooms, but breaking it down it seems to be an overpowering note of old coffee grounds, and not in a good way. This is the worst nose I've ever had on a beer. On the tongue the spent and burnt coffee isn't nearly as bad as it is on the nose. I could almost see it being very pleasant if it weren't for the godawful aroma it gives off. The mouthfeel is thin but nice and sharp, not too bad.

If it weren't for the aroma that I find awful and intolerable, I could see myself drinking this one again. It's sort of out there, but it's nice enough if you can get past the smell. But I can't really do that.

2.78/5  rDev -25.5%

A= pours a nice dark brown color with mahongony highlights and no head. No head means no lacing. The beer looks like a coffee in general.

S= coffee is in it for sure but also some chili peppers? I'm getting peppers for some reason. Not sure if this was brewed with peppers or not. Perhaps it has something to do with the coffee they used. Other than that I notice a small amount of chocolatey sweet malt.

T= no as much with the peppers but I do get some. Loads of coffee of course. I almost feel like I got a little spice bite on my tongue from the peppers. Odd. I get a little chocolate but it is all masked by the coffee and peppers.

M= smooth and delicious. Feels like a good doppelbock. The burps coming up even remind me of a doppelbock.

D= interesting beer I guess. Not that great. I haven't read any reviews on it so I'm not sure if other people get peppers but I wasn't expecting it and to say the least its sort of a turn off in the coffee.

2.79/5  rDev -25.2%

The appearance is probably the best part of this bottle. nice reddish orange color with a small head. just coffee on the nose. coffee at first with the taste, then sweet. The aftertaste reminds me of a cherry blowpop. Unique flavor, but not very impressed. Once is enough for me.

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12/8/13
Dark Horse Perkulator
1L Growler

Pours a hazy, deep ruby hue. Great color. Head retention and lacing are minimal. (3.5)

Aroma is malty, has some coffee and a hint of DMS. Good specialty malt aroma of biscuit and chocolate. (3.5)

Flavor is malty and rich, with a strong coffee component coming through. The more I drink, the more I realize that the coffee flavor is too strong, manifesting itself as a cheap, stale coffee flavor rather than something more nuanced. At least it's not too sweet. Moutfheel is full-bodied and slick. (2.5, 3.5)

Decent Doppelbock that is ruined by the coffee gimmick. Some breweries just don't get it. Don't mess with classic styles. The Doppelbock style is about MALT, not added spices and flavorings. At least don't try to call it a Doppelbock if you're going to brew something as mediocre as this beer. (2)

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I must say from my experience, Dark Horse makes some great looking beers. This one pours a beautiful light hazy brown, which turns a hazy burnt orange in the light. This beer just glows. Has a big white fluffy head; lacing ok. Smells like Folgers.. coffee straight up. I was expecting the taste to be overpowering w/ coffee, it ended up being sharp, but mellow considering how strong it smells. There are strong hints of chocolate as well. The mouthfeel was over-carbonated and ended up being a problem; super fizzy. This one starts off strong, but my interest starts to fade a bit as I get into it.. one's good for me.

This beer has potential to be something special.. maybe if they rework it a little, they can have something unique. The carbonation really brought this beer down; too fizzy. Nonetheless, solid brew. If you're into bitter coffee, this one is still worth seeking out.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - pours caramel brown with little head, hardly any lacing.

S - Odd. Coffee for sure, but with a citrusy sour aroma too. Certainly unique.

T - Yep, odd. Sweetness from the malts, bitterness from the coffee...should be great, but there's something else that distracts. Could be the hops? Not bad at all, but different for sure.

M - Pretty nice...Appropriately carbonated, a little thinner than some other doppelbocks, but ok

D - Not tough to drink, but I'm not rushing for another

I'll have to try this one again. As it stands, not quite what I was hoping for...I love Dark Horse, and love doppelbocks (and like coffee), but this missed the mark.

2.89/5  rDev -22.5%

A: Sizzling soda-like pour forms a two-finger head that is gone in a flash. Beer is brown in color with constant tiny bubbles rising to the top. No lacing at all.

S: Smells strongly like a somewhat weak coffee, but a bit sweetish too. Nothing much else as the coffee overpowers everything.

T: A sweet coffee taste coats the mouth. Too sweet for my liking. I really like coffee flavored beers, but this one is just off to me.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin which detracts from the coffee flavors. An oily sweetness coats the tongue, which is off putting too.

D: This one won't kill you, but it's not going to wow you either. I managed to make it through the 4-pack after a couple of weeks, one beer a night when I found myself with little else on hand.

Served: in a standard pint glass.

Review from notes taken on: 11/7/09.

2.91/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

There is a reason certain beers are brewed under the Reinheitsgebot. The doppelbock is by far my favorite beer style, so I was naturally skeptical that a brewery would seek to alter such a strong and already flavorful style. My skepticism was well founded. I picked up a four pack of this brew, in hopes that it would be a nice marriage of dark beer styles. Sadly, it was not. The coffee grounds did not mesh well with the strong flavors of the doppelbock style. The nose smells of rich malt but then diminishes with the coffee smells. The taste also exhibits a conflicted character with the strong maltiness and caramel notes competing with the coffee notes. This one is a unique experience, but not one I'd seek out again.

2.92/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Dark Horse's only publicly distributed lager... Interesting. With a name like Perkulator, how could I not pick this up? It pours a muddled, swampy looking brown and tan color. It is 100% opaque and has very small bits of sediment that suspend in the beer. The head is thin and light-tan in color; overall, a pretty ugly looking beer.

Incredibly roasty coffee beans plague the aroma. The beans smell strong, burnt, and pungent; very deep and obviously coffee-heavy. Unforauntely, there's not much else to be appreciated in the aroma, save for a very, very light caramel sweetness that is only noticed when the beer starts approaching room temp. This smells more like an actual bag of old, burnt coffee beans than a beer.

The taste isn't quite as heavily roasted as the aroma, though coffee beans are certainly at the forefront. The mild burnt coffee beans up front transfer slowly to a somewhat sweet and scarcely malty profile. Light caramel and toffee are noticed, though this beer still doesn't taste malty or sweet enough to be a true doppelbock.

The heavy roast induces a deep bitterness at first, but never gets too overpowering. What's throwing me off is a strange astringency and a weird tartness that comes about halfway through each sip. Slightly green apple-like in character, I'm thinking it's acetaldehyde. Not enough to make the beer awful, but enough to dock the taste a bit.

Thin bodied for a doppelbock, though I'm starting to realize that this beer really isn't all that "doppelbock-y" in really any facet, other than the fact that it uses lager yeast, which also goes unnoticed. Dry, slightly metallic, strange aftertaste that wears on the palate with time.

Very interesting beer all around, and really quite far from what I was expecting. I wanted a malty, sweet doppelbock with a nice, light coffee addition. It tastes more like straight up burnt coffee beans with almost no mention of doppelbock in the flavor or the aroma. It's not bad, but it's not something I would regularly reach for. Dark Horse should stick to ales.

2.95/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours out as a brownish orange color without much head. The beer is a bit lighter in color than I expected. The smell is heavy with coffee. I'm not really able to pull much more from this. The taste has a big and bold coffee flavor to it. There isn't much depth here. It's like drinking a chilled black coffee to me. I wasn't able to get much malt of hop flavors at all. The coffee just really over powers everything in this beer. The mouthfeel in medium and doesn't have much carbonation. Overall this was a little disappointing.

2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a John Smith snifter

It pours a slightly hazy mahogany with a 1 finger head that dies quite quickly. No lacing on the sides of the glass and the beer looks fairly lifeless in the glass.

The nose is immediately strong coffee. Upon deeper smelling and thought I conclude that the coffee, while strong, isn't really that great. The aroma is akin spent coffee grounds after they had sat all day in the coffee machine. You know what I'm talking about, you get up to make a pot in the morning and find that your wife, or more likely you left the old filter in there. It's not unpleasant by any means, but I'm well versed enough in coffee beers to now this isn't the best aroma.

Sadly that stale day old coffee ground type flavor comes through into the flavor. I really love coffee flavored beers and this one isn't doing it for me. It's fairly bitter with just this overwhelming old coffee taste. A positive about the flavor is that the finish has a nice malty sweetness that allows the bitterness to subside.

Mouthfeel is medium and carb level is right where I'd like it and within the style guidelines. Drinkability is average simply for the stale coffee taste. No alcohol flavor or aroma can be detected which is good.

poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a SN Hops tulip. A moderate to hard pour created minimal head which faded to an island of light tan, then nothing. The body was a hazy cola/leather color.

Smell was mild coffee and plums. Sweet grains. Stewed fruits.

Taste was malty. Light coffee flavors that linger with bitterness. Brown sugar. Primarily doppelbock characteristics with a understated coffee presence. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel was medium in body with moderate carbonation.

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock from Dark Horse Brewing Company