Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: Doppelbock

Added by oberon on 10-18-2007

Ratings: 1,026 |  Reviews: 444
3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass. Comes out amber in color with a tangerine cream/off white colored head. The head itself is initially pretty thick, it sticks around for a little while, however not a whole lot of lacing. Very hazy looking, clearly not filtered.

The aromas coming from this beer truly make up one of the most interesting beers I've ever smelled, certainly not a traditional doppelbock. You can easily detect the dark coffee beans right away. To me there are also notes of chili peppers and some sweet tobacco. Maybe just some slight grain/malt.

The taste is where the dobbelbock characteristics come in a little more. There are plenty of coffee flavors again along with some of the tobacco notes, maybe a little black pepper. There is much more sweetness than I expected, based on the smell. Well malted, some slightly burned chocolate that is detected, bittersweet.

The mouthfeel is good, there's a lot going on, so I think it's fair to give it a bit of a curve. Full bodied and lightly carbonated. Pretty smooth and finishes with a bite. Overall it's very drinkable, not what I expected, in a good way.

This is way better than I really hoped, I just thought it was something trendy or some weird idea just to be different. But I feel like this was a well thought out beer that took multiple attempts to get it how they wanted. Thanks Dark Horse, I'll be back.

A- Brown color with a reddish tint. Huge, billowing tan head that sticks around but leaves minimal lacing.

N- Dark yeasty esters and aromas of coffee, chocolate, and roasted grains. Alcohol is noticeable as the beer warms up.

T- Sweet roasty malt and brown sugar accented by a light bitter combination of dark hops and coffee. A faint hint of alcohol meshes with a nice spiciness. Roasted grains and dry coffee linger into the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, medium-light body with a dry finish.

D- I like the lightness of the body combined with the coffee and roasted malt. This is a solid beer, and I'm looking forward to drinking it again.

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours a dark amber color with decent tan head that fades quickly

S: First impression is a mix between freshly ground coffee and coffee grounds. There is a nice sweet maltiness in the background

T: The taste is very heavy on raw coffee, with almost a burnt or smokey component. The malt character finishes the flavor off and makes this beer much more drinkable

D: Overall, the drinkability is pretty good. I have had coffee beers that have a much smoother coffee flavor, but the malt is able to balance the coffee bitterness in this one.

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark dark amber with plentiful tan head that fades. Nice lacing and a lot of bubbles.

Smells like dark burnt coffee, with malty beer undertones.

Tastes initially like coffee - somewhat smokey or burnt, but quite nice. Quickly fades into a malty lager. Finish is smooth with a pleasant coffee aftertaste.

Feel is light and bubbly - very nice.

D - Tasty beer - but one is enough.

4.31/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a clear, dark burgundy color with a very small, thin head of off-white foam. It left minimal lacing.

S - Java! Cup o' joe! Whatever, you want to call it, coffee dominated the aroma.

T - Rich roastiness of coffee with the sweet caramel maltiness of a dopplebock. It really is a great combo.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied lager with a fairly dry finish.

D - This is a really delicious coffee brew. I loved the combo of a dopplebock with coffee. I was stunned at the relatively low rating. It was delicious.

3.23/5  rDev -13.4%

a. i like the dark mahogony color. but no head at all, eventually i can generate one by swirling my glass, but it doesnt last long.

s. faint coffee smell, like watered down coffee.

t. like watered down iced coffee. nice coffee bitterness and nice coffee sweetness, but its way too subdued and bland.

m. not much carbonation, doesnt linger much on the palate.

d. very drinkable, but not very enjoyable.

4.14/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Very deep brown, almost black in color, with ruby highlights. Thin, light tan head with somewhat poor retention.

Aroma-I get dark, roast coffee bean aroma as the strongest note, with lighter burnt malt notes and some sweet caramel hints. Light cinnamon as well. No fruity esters, and no hops. Often times I get vegetal, green pepper aromas when I smell beers with coffee added, but those are noticeably absent in this one (thank god). Smells like coffee, which I'm thinking is what they were going for.

Flavor-Sweet caramel and roasted malt up front, which quickly is overtaken by strong coffee notes. In the finish, the coffee flavor builds and carries long into the aftertaste. That said, the beer tastes balanced, not overly coffee-like, and very tasty. The roasted malt and coffee provide tempering bitterness to offset the malt as opposed to hop bitterness. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel-rich, medium full body, with moderate carbonation. Relatively smooth but a little bit chalky in the finish from the roast.

Very tasty and good aromatics, but I wouldn't want to drink a ton of this one. They did do a very good job of weaving the coffee flavors and aromas into the beer without totally overpowering all of the other flavors.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed as part of the Blind Beer BIF #3

Dusted off my Pilsner glass for bottle #8 from Khazadum

A - pours a deep chestnut brown with ruby highlights. There was an inch of off white foam that quickly faded into a layer of fine bubbles

S - aroma is a mix of roasted malts, some smoke, brown sugar, an overall earthy aroma

T - really nice flavor to this one. Some nice brown sugar notes along with the roasted malts. I start to pick up some woody smokey flavors coming in and finishing with a touch of charcoal. There is hints of some citrus but not alot. As it warms i'm picking up a touch of cherries as well.

M/D - its a medium bodied beer with an appropriate amount of carbonation. its smooth in the mouth and is very easy to drink. I'm thinking the alcohol might be a bit high, but you can't tell by drinking it.

3.5/3.5/4/3.5/4

so I open it up and its Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock
wow, really. I swear I had one of these a few weeks back and don't remember it tasting like this. Although my bottle then was at least a year old. I guess the smoke I was thinking I was getting was the roasted coffee. Hmm, well I know i"m bad at reviewing so take it for what its worth. I'll gladly finish this glass. I'm glad I got to do this one blind.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

A nice Saturday afternoon kick start, with some nice coffee.

Even with a careful pours, a huge fizzy bubbly 2+ finger head rises up but fades pretty quickly. THe beer is a clear ruby auburn brown color, with lots of bubbles rising from the bottle.

Nose has some toasty brown malts, some brown sugar, dark wheats, plenty of fresh roasted coffee beans, a bit of a juicy but acidic coffee hit, hints of toffee and slightly nutty.

Taste brings more malts, toasty brown malts, some brown sugar, a bit of dark wheats but not as much as I was expecting as it seems to be overshadowed by the sweet malts, and the coffee. The coffee again is fresh roasted beans a bit, but more of the acidic and juicy coffee flavor, but it has a slight bit of brunt coffee (like left on the burner too long). I also get some peanut flavors, as well as a bit of caramel, reminding me somewhat of a snickers bar. A bit of bitterness, mostly from the coffee and roasted malts, fairly sweet at first, but not too much, which dries quite a bit on the finish, leaving a lingering light bitterness, plenty of acid, and remnants of what used to be brown sugar, toffee, and crystal malts. A hint of smoke on the finish as well.

Mouth is medium bodied, slightly syrupy and acidic, and tons of carbonation.

Drinkability is not the greatest, but not bad. A hint of booze is starting to come through as it warms, with some acidicty and some of the sweetness, but it has a drier finish that helps, and the coffee comes in a good proportion, not too heavy that it overpowers the delicate beer, or so light that you can't even detect it.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - pours caramel brown with little head, hardly any lacing.

S - Odd. Coffee for sure, but with a citrusy sour aroma too. Certainly unique.

T - Yep, odd. Sweetness from the malts, bitterness from the coffee...should be great, but there's something else that distracts. Could be the hops? Not bad at all, but different for sure.

M - Pretty nice...Appropriately carbonated, a little thinner than some other doppelbocks, but ok

D - Not tough to drink, but I'm not rushing for another

I'll have to try this one again. As it stands, not quite what I was hoping for...I love Dark Horse, and love doppelbocks (and like coffee), but this missed the mark.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I must say from my experience, Dark Horse makes some great looking beers. This one pours a beautiful light hazy brown, which turns a hazy burnt orange in the light. This beer just glows. Has a big white fluffy head; lacing ok. Smells like Folgers.. coffee straight up. I was expecting the taste to be overpowering w/ coffee, it ended up being sharp, but mellow considering how strong it smells. There are strong hints of chocolate as well. The mouthfeel was over-carbonated and ended up being a problem; super fizzy. This one starts off strong, but my interest starts to fade a bit as I get into it.. one's good for me.

This beer has potential to be something special.. maybe if they rework it a little, they can have something unique. The carbonation really brought this beer down; too fizzy. Nonetheless, solid brew. If you're into bitter coffee, this one is still worth seeking out.

2.77/5  rDev -25.7%

I'll be honest: when I got this four pack, I thought something was wrong with the beer. After reading around, though, it seems to be normal, and just to offend most of my senses as almost no beer has before. I went into this one with high hopes based on the coffee and the Dark Horse beers I've already had, but man, was I ever disappointed.

It pours a Coca-Cola black with little or no head and no lacing in a snifter. On the nose the first thing that comes to mind is mushrooms, but breaking it down it seems to be an overpowering note of old coffee grounds, and not in a good way. This is the worst nose I've ever had on a beer. On the tongue the spent and burnt coffee isn't nearly as bad as it is on the nose. I could almost see it being very pleasant if it weren't for the godawful aroma it gives off. The mouthfeel is thin but nice and sharp, not too bad.

If it weren't for the aroma that I find awful and intolerable, I could see myself drinking this one again. It's sort of out there, but it's nice enough if you can get past the smell. But I can't really do that.

3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

A- Red-brown with a fizzy light tan cap that dies down fairly quickly. No lace sticks around from the small ring.

S- Spent coffee grounds are up front with some nutty, cocoa and slight caramel and vanilla notes.

T- Very intense spent coffee ground flavor, almost burnt and somewhat bitter. Some dark fruit in the background and well as nutty malt and caramel. Slight hops. Slightly sour even.

MF- Creamy light-end body with silky high carbonation. Somewhat bitter from the coffee.

DB- The coffee flavor is very intense, I would have to say a bit too much, it feels one dimensional. A strange Doppelbock. The sour, bitter coffee and a bit of alcohol eventually make me tired of this one.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a lightly hazed and amber tinted brown color with a short finger of fizzy off white foam that dies quickly to a small collar without leaving any lacing. Rapid streams of bubbles steadily rise throughout the body giving it more of a fizzy appearance on the surface.

S - Dark roasted coffee with an acrid burntness to it, a bit of charcoal maybe over some earthy aromas. A small amount of sweet, sugary malt comes thru along with some dark fruitiness and a wisp of alcohol. A bit unusual for a doppelbock for sure.

T - Sweet malt with some dark fruits hits immediately. The coffee and earthiness from the aroma arrive next although far from as dominant as they are in the aroma...but the coffee is still a strong flavor component. There is also a bit of a sourness around the edges. This comes in just behind the coffee and I wonder if the coffee addition has created this as a side flavor. Hops are marginal in the flavor too.

M - Highly carbonated giving a fizzy and somewhat foamy feel. Body is full and lifted by the carbonation level too...almost feels a bit airy/foamy sorta like it was whipped...a bit unusual.

D - Ehh...just ok for me. This isn't exactly what I was expecting from a doppelbock...even a coffee one. The coffee takes away much of the rich maltiness that I associate with the style. Seems more like Dark Horse is trying to make a Coffee Bender competitor but can't quite match the way the sophistication of the coffee in that brew. Ultimately, I'd say not a bad beer, but it misses the mark a bit for me.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

Consumed and reviewed on 12/2/10. Poured into a chalice.

Let me begin by saying this is my third coffee brew in as many days. The first was Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout, the second a Peche Mortel. The Peche was good, but definitely expected more. And now I turn to the Dopplebock.

A: Pours a nice thin Dark Brown. My pour resulted in about a 1/2 inch head which quickly dissolved with no lacing.

S: I definitely expected to smell more coffee than I do, although there is a definite smell that I can't place my fingers on - it's almost sweet smelling.

T: As a huge fan of coffee I wanted to taste more of it. The sweet smell is definitely present in the taste, almost to the point of distraction from the coffee - what should be, in my opinion, the prominent element.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not at all bitter and very little after taste. If it wasn't for the sweet taste, this beer would be a high 4 for drinkability.

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%

First off I'll just say that I am a coffee drinker, I enjoy espresso, and always have it black. This is a 'coffee' doppelbock. If you aren't a fan as I am, make sure to take my judgement on taste with a grain of salt!

It looks entirely decent, maybe a little thin for a doppelbock. Or at least thinner than I like to see. There's a tiny layer of head at first, but virtually no lacing, nothing on the glass once it recedes. Still, it looks like it means business.

Smells like coffee with a little hint of nuts and fruits. It's basically as expected, given the style and especially the name. Not the most coffee-tinted smell around (that would probably be a breakfast stout...) but strong enough to already justify its title.

Tastes almost - dare I say - refreshing. It's not so much carbonation really, but there's a zing - not a bite, mind you - to this flavor on the tip of my tongue and it's beyond that straight up coffee taste. It's also rich enough to deepen over time, winding up as quite the well rounded taste in the end.

Mouthfeel almost shows more carbonation and sheer fizziness than is really here. It's rich but thin, pleasant but nothing truly special.

I could probably drink these all night, owing as much to its welll hidden abv as to the experience of consuming it. It's got enough flavor to keep knocking 'em back and feels much lighter going down than it truly is.

I'd drink it again!

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a thin dark brown, minimal head that fades to absolutely nothing.

Slight coffee/dark chocolate note in the nose, that's about all.

Very sweet malts, coffee, and a bit of a woody vanilla note. The taste is an interesting blend, and it is flavorful, gets sweet after awhile though.

Mouthfeel thin and watery.

I have mixed feelings about this one. The taste wasn't bad, but the mouthfeel needs to be thicker, and it could be a bit less cloying.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle, served in a Stone Levitation glass

A - pours with over an inch of billowing, loose and puffy tan colored foam. the beer is somewhat hazy, dark amber in color. some thin veiled, sticky lacing is left behind.

S - somewhat sweet, heavily creamed coffee. strong presence of toasted almonds and nuts. malts come out and bring some toffee along with dark fruits.

T - at first, a mix of creamed, lightly roasted coffee meshes with assertive toffee and dark fruits. as the initial sweetness dies down, it turns more to the "brown" side with toasted nuts and light caramel malts developing. coffee lingers well into the aftertaste.

M - body is slightly on the lighter side, emphasized by bright and tingly carbonation. pretty creamy through the middle, turning to a slightly unpleasant chalky finish. lingering bitterness from coffee and sticky sweet malts.

D - not sure about the age of this bottle, but i enjoyed it much more out of the tap. the coffee just seems to be a bit off, and sweetness is much more abound this time around. still a really good breakfast beer.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

I like Doppelbocks. I like coffee beers. Trying this one out makes a lot of sense. Had a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Brown body, but it is clear enough to give it some amber/orange glow in the light. Head dissipated quickly and leave no lacing. Not much to look at here.

Aroma: Right after the pour, the coffee stands out. As is settles and warms, roasted malts and toffee come out. Unique for the style for sure, but smells similar to some coffee porters and brown ales I've had in the past.

Taste: The coffee flavors rush in, but fade quickly. I'm pretty surprised by how well the spicy and malty aspects of this beer cut through the initial bitterness. I think high level of carbonation helps all flavors dance a bit. I'm not too sure how much I like the combination of all flavors, but you can't say it is unbalanced.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The high carbonation not only helps all of the more subtle flavors come out, but it also keeps a pretty malt forward brew from being too heavy. I found this to be dangerously drinkable at 7.5% as it went down very easy and was smooth.

Overall: Dark Horse did well on this beer, but I'm not sure it is for me. They accomplished what they set out to do, marry a powerful flavor to a subtle and classic style. Mission accomplished.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Brown with an amber tint with two fingers of head that had very good retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Not much lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma is mostly coffee. In fact I should say all coffee. I do not get any doppelbock here.

The flavor is dominated by coffee. But as I get through the warming beer, some caramel and toasty elements come out. Coffee bitterness in the finish. Definately more bitter than any other doppelbock I have come across. I like coffee beers so I did not mind its dominance.

The body feels a little thin and it is definately overcarbonated. Could use a little tweaking here. More malt certainly would not hurt this beer in body or taste.

A good beer for those that like coffee infused beers. Coffee haters need not look for this beer as it is the major player in the beer.

Pours a clear copper with a yellow/white head.

Nose is sweet carmel and toffee that is assertive and with nice fruit tones.

Thin mouthfeel but with perfect carbonation and nice balance which leaves one wanting more. This is a thin mouth that actually does not detract from the appeal of the beer.

Flavors are sweet burnt toast and bright medium bodied black coffee with light burnt carmel. Flavors are very well integrated and bright. This beer is very appealing and drinker friendly.

Finish is a medium bitter "bright" coffee character.

2.16/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle This is an oddity int he doppelbock realm, not sure how it will work.

It pours very much like coffee, with a dark brownish/caramel hue with some slight hints of mahogany. The head disspiates quickly with no lacing.

Coffee dominates the smell, perhaps too much, the standard doppelbock scents are sadly overshadowed.

The flavor is kind of all over the place. coffee just doesn't work well with doppelbock. This beer is two sided, it ahs an extreme coffee bitterness, and an extreme sweet fruit character. There is no middleground, there is nothing to bind the two.

Dark Horse is one of my favorite brewers but this was a iserable failure.

3.55/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hazy auburn brown body. To be quite honest I would peg this as a Brown Ale and not a Dopplebock by the color. Three finger malted milk color head rests atop. The head slowly dissipates leaving a thick sheet of lacing blanketing the glass.

The aroma is coffee, very similar to sticking your nose into a bag of freshly roasted coffee. Bits of brown bready malt aroma settle in just behind, pleasant but not the aroma I would imagine finding for the style. Hints of caramel peak through momentarily before again being overwhelmed by coffee.

The Dopplebock is finally coming out though it is blanketed heavily with coffee. Pleasant, medium roasted java accompanied once again by the toasted bread flavor are laid on the tongue first. The more traditional flavor, caramel, fig, plumb and slight hints of chocolate emerge from behind. The balance between the flavors works rather well.

Medium to slightly full bodied. The texture is smooth and just under creamy. The flavors dig in leaving a long finish.

One of the few Dark Horse beers I had not previously tried and I am glad to have picked this one up. I do love coffee beers and this is one of the more interesting. A few deductions were taken due to style, some characteristics just did not fit. Very nice beer to nurse but I think one is all I need.

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%

12 ounce bottle picked up as an oddity. A coffee doppelbock, OK I'm curious.

Beer is brown and hazy, looks like dirty dish water. Pathetic head, minimal lacing, low carbonation. Not impressed yet.

Whoa....coffee hits you in the face like a ton of bricks. I'm very curious about the aroma. The deeper I inhale the more solvents I get. Its an odd smelling beer, the coffee is like a big heavy curtain that opens on a very bad play.

The flavor is a coffee bomb with a late caramel flavor. This beer is super thin, no carbonation, creamy in the mouth, bitter finish. This is not that much fun to drink, definitely better doppelbocks out there.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pilsner glass. Color is a dirty, hazy brown with a lift tan head. Nose brings an interesting combination of coffee, roast, smoke, and dark fruits with a bit of caramel malt. Taste is more coffee with the other flavors coming in underneath. Good body with a nice coffee bite. Another interesting concept and another success.

Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock from Dark Horse Brewing Company