Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

2010 and pre: white label
2011: white label OR black label with black no logo cap
2012: black label with logo cap
2013: black label with logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner and new government warning
2014 - white label with black logo cap, ABV of 11% in the top right corner, government warning on bottom right side of label

Added by HopHead84 on 09-27-2008

Reviews: 898 | Ratings: 3,833
3.69/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark Horse Plead The 5th Imperial Stout. 11% ABV, 41 IBU. Pours medium thickness, black, with two fingers of brown head, left light lacing. Nose is coffee and licorice, taste follows plus chocolate, with coffee bitterness on the close. Good mouthfeel, overall excellent.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Not many beers pour as dark and thick -- beautiful from my perspective. The first taste is good, but some unusual flavors are present which caused me to ponder if I was going to like it. After a sip or two, the taste buds get acclimated and the unusual flavors recede into the background. Overall I'm still left with a bitterness which I don't care for. I don't think it's a coffee bitterness ... seems like the hops are shouting out.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - dark oil pour, rich caramel head, and great lacing!

Smell - roasted chocolate caramel with a barrel aged smell that is great.

Taste - rich frothy chocolate boozy greatness.

Mouthfeel - frothy smooth delicious feel

Overall - wow I am glad I got this beer in a trade. Such a great beer. Imperial stout done right!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Darkest of dark, looks like used motor oil but in a good way. little to no head on the beer.

S: Sweet roast smell, one of the best smelling RIS's I have had

T: Just as it smells, very sweet with the roasted malt finish. As with most RIS's, this gets better as it warms

M: Nicely carbonated and thick in your mouth, just as it should for this style

O: This is one of my favorite RIS's, it pushes the limits of the style but in a very good way. It is hard to tell this is 11% abv

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Motor oil black pour with two fingers of brown head. The head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is roast, dark malts, coffee, chocolate. Just a nice deep traditional stout nose. The taste is again, chocolate, coffee, maltiness. A touch of bitterness. The body is full and a light-medium carbonation. A well done RIS.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%

A. Solid look and nice 1/4 inch tan head

S. Amazing, I cant convince myself that this isn't BA, it must be the strong alcohol presence. Booze at first and then some coffee and then alcohol then a bit of roasted malts and then way more booze, LOVE IT!!!

T. Alcohol up front and very present, then coffee and maybe a hint of chocolate, the presence of booze is amazing hits you first and last. I love this beer!!!

M. A bit thin for me but not bad 3.5

O. I love it, great taste, a smell that I seriously put my nose to the glass until the last sip. I love this beer so glad I got one in, ISO: again for sure.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce received in trade with hophobo, thanks. Poured into a chalice.

A - Pours black. No head. No lacing.

S - Chocolate and roasted.

T - Roasted malt and chocolate, coffee.

M - Very smooth, creamy, full body.

D - two or three of these would be wonderful.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet. I am unsure of the vintage on this one.

This beer is an oily black liquid with a very thin mocha color. It coats the sides of my glass.

The nose is burnt sugars, dark malt, coffee, alcohol, dark dried stone fruits like prunes, some raisins as well. I'm also picking up on some black licorice and molasses.

The first sip follows the nose and is very rich with burnt malts, coffee, there's a lot of alcohol warmth as well. The licorice I picked up in the nose is coming through again along with a bit of smoke as it warms and follows through the finish.

The mouthfeel is full and somewhat slick with low carbonation.

An excellent RIS from a great brewery that doesn't get a lot of hype. This is just what I needed on this chilly fall night. I just wish I could find more around Chicago.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Big thanks to pest for this one.

A - Pours a thick dark coffee/black color with a thin tan head. The head disappears quickly leaving some good lacing.

S - Molasses, nougat, hints of caramel and dark chocolate. Also some fig and raisin in there with a very small hint of licorice.

T - Just like the aroma with molasses and some bitter flavors in there too. Some dark chocolate (very small) and dark fruits in there too.

M - Mildly carbonated with some bitterness.

O - A very good stout. Would definitely recommend this one.

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%

Received as an extra from Beerness. Cheers, Charlie.

Poured into my Coronado snifter.

Pours a sludge-like black with a burnt brown head that sits 2" off the top. Extremely thick lacing is left from this. You can't pick up the slightest glimpse of light through this. This should really become a world wide definition for what a dark/thick beer is. A promising start.

Smells of robust coffee, dark chocolate syrup, roasted malts, and a ton of booze. Tingles the nose a bit.

Taste is a little harsh. The booze is just too much for me. I love the burnt coffee notes and the mouth coating chocolate syrup, but the booze drowns them out. Very hot beer.

I took the hot booziness out of consideration for the mouthfeel. If I were to consider the hot burn from this brew, it'd probably be in the 1.5-2 range. I love a thick, creamy stout, and that's exactly what this is. Mouth coating and almost chewy.

Overall, this was good. Not something I'd seek out, but if one lands on my doorstep again, I wouldn't be disappointed. I'm very happy I got to try this. I am actually very curious how the BA version would be.

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours super thick and black with just a bit of dark brown foam on top, looks like it is flat.

S - Big smell of coffee, roasted malts, molasses, dark fruits, and booze. Good stuff.

T - A lot of dark roasted malts, coffee, and molasses, but the booze being there but not as strong as the smell was.

M - Great full body, rich and thick mouthfeel, a lot of chewiness and just slight carbonation.

D - This is a good stout for sure, good balance of flavors and probably my favorite beer from Dark Horse so far.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a pitch black in to a tulip glass. the mocha head to this one is very faint and appears shortly after all the beer has left the bottle .

smell - its not the most impressive thing about this beer. I have to literally put my nose in this one to get the smell of this. I get fig, dark chocolate, vanilla, and some oak.

taste - thick dark chocolate stands out the most to me here. Although the taste tends to change with each sip. The oak is present as well as a little fig, but man O man does the chocolate shine in this one. It laces the throats and leaves a thick chocolate coat in the after taste. I get a little coffee but not much.

Overall - I am thoroughly happy with this one and can't say enough about how much the chocolate throat coating stands out to me. I shall have this one again!

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Since I have had about a dozen of these and sent out tons as extras I suppose I should finally review it.

Poured from a 12oz into a Darkness tulip.

Pours black as night with a beautiful brown 2 finger head.

Smells great as well. Lots of chocolate and a little coffee.

Taste is on par with the best IS that I have tasted. Hands down the best stout I have tasted out of a 12oz serving. I will buy a case of this next time it is released.

Mouthfeel is nice as well. Medium weight and the chocolate resin sticks to your mouth in a way to stay for a long time and not be offensive.

Drinkability is high as this is one of the best off the shelf easy to get IS I have had.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Received in recent trade with Davesway10, thanks Dave.

Poured in to Gulden Draak tulip, reviewing in real time.

A: Pours like chocolate milk. Pitch black with dark brown head. I cant wait to dive in, this is what imperial stouts should look like.

S: caught a whiff when i popped the bottle, I can tell this one is going to be nice. Roasted malts, chocolate, slight bit of booze.

T: Roasty, Dark chocolate, malts do their thing start to finish. Bit of dark fruits as I have more of it.

M: Very balanced for how it smells and looks. Smooth as hell. Looks huge, tastes smooth.

D: Not getting any booze....wait, ok there it is. You dont feel it at first but, and I probably shouldn't but I'm definitely having more of this one. Not feeling the booze until after you finish it but me likey.

I loved Double Crooked Tree, and love this one too. Tastes like a combo between Imperial Stout and milk stout. Seek it out, definitely one of the best imperial stouts IMO.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

this one continues to be one of my top 10 favorite imperial stouts. i love dark horse. they never cease to amaze me. like extascy in a glass. this brew will stain your glass. motor oil, just the way i love it. smoky molasses and clean as cream. thick and rich with a sort of silky, milky feel. and affordable! this is one of the few stouts i do enjoy a little colder. it's either because of the highly roasted smell or just because it works with the milky, creamy character. at 12% be careful. This beer is my happy place. if i ever get raped, this is where im going to go. cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Dark as night, with a small but super creamy head that leaves very nice lacing. Looks delicious.

S - Smells quite a bit like coffee, the malts are really powerful in this one. Fruits such as dates, rasins, and figs dominate the nose as well. Also a hint of brown sugar.

T - Rich dark malts, chalky coffee and chocolate. Some of those aforementioned dark fruits and a hit of something savory like soy or roasted nuts.

M - Smooth and creamy. Medium body and leaves a pleasant coating of sweetness in the mouth.

D - Way, way too easy to drink for 12%. The lack of any additional kinds of gimmicks (flavoring, barrel aging) make this one of my favorite strong stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle of "Plead the 5th".

Appearance - Black with a tan head, and a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - A nice mix of milk chocolate, coffee, hint of dark fruit, and burnt marshmallows.

Taste - A blast of chocolate, old black coffee, brown sugar, smoke, and burnt toast. Finishes with some mildly bitter piney hops and booze.

Mouth feel - Lightly carbonated and coating.

Drinkability - Incredible. My new favorite stout! IMO similar to Surly Darkness and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Definitely recommended!

4.04/5  rDev -4.5%

The beer pours like motor oil, only a deep impenetrable black color leaving only a rumor of a head around the edges of the glass. The aroma is rich, roasty, and malty with a lot of coffee and some bourbon boozy notes with some deep chocolate of both the sweet and bitter variety. The flavor is again very rich with (again) both sweet and bitter chocolate notes. The beer is not nearly as sweet as most of this strength or viscosity. There are plenty of coffee and boozy tones in this one as well. The palate is profoundly full and sticky. Delicious.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Look: black w/ a dense one finger, very tan head.

Smell: Carmel and grain, like smelling a bowl of cereal, its really quite pleasant but still had to work for it.

Taste: caramel first followed by more malt sweetness then finishes with a bittering hop taste.

Mouthfeel: This is thick bodied and coats the mouth. It warms from the alcohol which is very present. I leaves a roasty aftertaste which is not unpleasant

Overall: good looking, smelling and tasting, mouthfeel is on the strong side but it is an imp. stout so it's to be expected. Going to sit on my other bottle for awhile to see how it might change. This will be a regular in the winter rotation

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured Plead the 5th Imperial Stout into a snifter.

A - The imperial stout poured aggressively into the snifter, it is black as midnight with a bubble or two coming to the surface, classic stout looking beer.

S - Lots of dark fruits, raisins, figs, dark cherries. Getting roasted malts with a touch of bourbon; however, this one is not the barrel aged version. Gonna love this one I can tell.

T - The taste is incredible, almost like the smell. Did I get the barrel aged one by their mistake. Wow, this is very smooth and tasty. This might be the best Imperial Stout I've had ever, its just that good.

M - Thick as hell, molasses comes to mind. Heavy mouthfeel, little carbonation, but very good for the style. Yummy

O - Blown away, very nice beer, Highly Recommended Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter/tulip hybrid. Sold in four packs for about 12 bucks.

Appearance- Black. Absolutely black. A hard pour produces a minimal head which is a light leather color and fades quickly to a dark tan ring. Nothing special but par for the style.

Smell- Chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and woody tones make for an inviting aroma.

Taste- Wonderful. Super chocolaty- deep and sweet. Molasses, caramel, and some French roast coffee notes play a supportive role.

Mouthfeel- Creamy and rich. Mild carbonation leads to a silky texture.

Overall- One of my favorite imperial stouts. If this were a limited, brewery-only release, it would be rated on par with Darkness, Dark lord, and Hunahpu's. As it is, I'll gladly let this one glide relatively under the radar which allows me to drink this readily. Absolutely delicious and a total treat whenever it's cracked open. Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Deep dep black with 2 finger brown head that fades to leave just a little lacing.

S: Chocolate milk and coffee with a hint of raspberry and malts. Smokiness there as well. Smells nicely milky sweet, like vanilla pudding.

T/M: A bit lighter in body than it appears. Creamy smooth. Had a nice milk chocolate taste up front which fades to malt and then spice. Alcohol comes through slightly on finish. Bitter espresso lingers.

D: Fine.

Ovr: Good stout. Nice vanilla/milky notes to it and really smooth. Dark Horse knows what their doing. Every one of thier brews I've had to date have been very solid.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2013

A-Pours heavy and completely black into my snifter glass and leave a half finger head that fades quickly.

S-Dark chocolate with heavy doses bready and roasted malts. Also catching a good wiff of booze on the back end of the nose.

T-Follows the nose but the roasted malts are front and center with notes of dark chocolate and toffee. Then a slight booziness before the dark chocolate comes back and lingers on the palate.

M-Nice thick mouthfeel, which is preferable for the style, IMO. Lower levels of carbonation.

O-An excellent example of the style. Straight forward flavors, not overly complex, but perfectly executed

3.85/5  rDev -9%

This beer poured very thick and looked like syrup.

A: Very dark beer with a thin caramel colored head that has some fine bubbles on top.

S: Initial smell is of dark fruit, like plum. I also get some dark chocolate, molasses and a hint of brown sugar.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma, creamy, dark chocolate up front. Middle of the flavor has some roasted malts, molasses, a bit of caramel and coffee. Finishes somewhat dry, with yeast type feel.

M: Very rich, smooth and creamy. No noticeable carbonation, but alcohol is not present.

O: Another very good stout, this is a big beer at 12% so its a slow sipper. I have been saving this for a few weeks now and thought this would be the perfect time to have it. Not too familiar with Dark Horse Brewing, but I like what I have had so far!

A thick creamy mocha head bubbles up bringing cinnamon, dates, cherry tobacco along with it. It fades quickly but works heavily coating the outside of my tulip after a swirl. The color is black as pitch no highlight's to this one. A hint of clover, and gamey undertones in the dark fruit of the nose. The flavor rolls gently, powerfully capturing my full attention as it goes from cocoa roast malts, to frothy coffee, with undertones of leather and roast goose. It all finishes with a dominant mouthfeel and lingering biterness that reminds us not to say too much.

In my 2nd decade with stouts as my favorite style, I was not expecting to be impressed by this. Perhaps the bottle of 1 I had was bad... However, I can't say enough about the creamy roasty mouthfeel, the depth of flavor, or the character of this beer. I'll be buying more tomorrow.

Plead The 5th Imperial Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company