Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,288 |  Reviews: 929

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up a few weeks ago over at Top Hops, having never had anything from Dark Horse or knowing that this beer had over 1,800 reviews on here. While not a total hophead, I love a great IPA and thought that I had most of the classics, standards, and standouts when it came to these given that I've gotten my hands on nearly everything available at any local liquor store.

But I was wrong.

I love it when beers sneak up on me, out of nowhere. One innocent buy turns into an unexpected discovery, which turns into the purchase of a full pack instead of trial bottle. Sure enough, that's the case here as I'd love to get more of this should I find it again. There was just enough to differentiate this fro the West Coast IPA's without making this too deviant from the ordinary.

No doubt that the appearance was the best aspect of this beer - as the cloudy dark peach hue, moderate but solid head, and near-perfect rings of lacing combined for an extremely pleasing appearance. Lots of rye, pine, and tropical citrus in the nose, followed by booze, blood orange, and a mild but sharp earthy bitterness in the taste. The carbonation was right on the money and this felt a lot strong than it turned out to be in actuality. So easy to quaff and just the right amount of bubbles to scrub the burning after each sip. A hint of tobacco lingered in the aftertaste but this wasn't a Cigar City beer. Michigan? Really? This deserved to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bells and Founders!

While not a session beer, this tasted and felt a lot more potent than the 6.50% ABV would have led me to believe. This had just the right amount of body to feel like a Rye beer and a slightly dry-hopped nature that led me to sip more in an attempt to quench my thirst. This was wonderful and if you love beers that delight and surprise while delivering a healthy does of hops, you owe it to yourself to give this a go. I'm glad this was available in my neck of the woods!

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%