Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by xlperro on 08-10-2002

Ratings: 3,290 |  Reviews: 930
4.35/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I poured this beer into a tulip-shaped glass.
A: burnt orange, unfiltered, nice foamy head that dissipated quickly and nice lacing, not very lively in terms of carbonation
S: mostly malt with a hint of honey and citrus. It smelled a lot like the Lagunitas brews in terms of malt. The beer didn't have a strong hop smell to me.
T: The taste was really surprising and quite nice. It was more herbal/grassy than I expected with no pine/citrus at all. The bitterness was well balanced and the beer finished cleanly.
M: Medium to thin with decent carbonation
I have to say this beer stood out and was refreshing compared to what's out there. Would I have it again? Absolutely!

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: cloudy orange, with minor retention and good lacing
S: classic orange-and-pine IPA
T: to me, a little flat up front, yielding to a strong bitter-pine resin taste that is actually kind of surprising and refreshing given the beginning. Up front the flavors I struggle a little to differentiate are orange and earthy. In the middle, as the bitter hops takes over, the grapefruit tastes come. Pine overtakes the palette at the end.
M: dryness at end, but not much up front
O: I was hoping for a little more throughout the taste. However, for IPA fans, it's definitely worth a try

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Oh how I wish this came in a can! Please effort that Dark Horse! This is my "go to" summer beer. It is THE ideal beer for cookouts and such. If ever a beer needed to come in cans ... it's this beer. Pours a little darker than your normal high end IPA, but don't let that fool you. You may even smell a little bit of the malt in your noes, but don't let that fool you either. This is the most well balanced beer you will find on the market, and I'm a total hop head. I judge a beer on it's hops, and I can drink this beer all day long and then some. There are some beers that are of supreme quality that can vary from six to six and this is one of those beers. Sometimes it's slightly darker than other times, but it doesn't matter. It always has that citrus and fruit hop dance on the tongue. What really makes this beer shine is the buzz, and I'm not lying. It has that over the top "I'm king of the world and everything is good!" feel to it. It's a total smiley face beach and summer time social beer that won't bring you down. I have had all the variations from double, to falconers, to cascade, but the best is the strait crooked tree ipa. If this came in cans it would be touching the 5 star mark!

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company