Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Ratings: 3,303 |  Reviews: 931

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an over-sized wine glass. Julian dating: 106-13 (April 16, 2013). Imbibed on 05/10/2013
Purchased the 420 IPA variety 12 pack from Dark Horse. Favorite out of the pack!
A beautiful orange, cloudy, full bodied looking beer. A finger's worth of head formed dissipated a little quickly, left great lacing.
Smells of tangerines, oranges, tropical fruits, a little pine.
Nice bitterness on the tongue, with a malty sweetness. Leaves a nice lingering hop taste in the mouth well after the swallow. Makes you want to go back for more and more. Not overly carbonated.
Definitely a beer I will be looking for again! Really enjoyed it and at 6.5% you can have a few!

4.02/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle in Sam Adams glass
no date

A: Dark copper color with a relatively thin white/tan head.
S: Muted nose, hints of pine, a little bit of sweetness, not a lot else.
T: Sharp pine with some citrus, i.e. classic American hops. A solid malt backbone, a little caramel malt and maybe victory or munich malt, doesn't appear to be just 2-row malt.
M: Crisp, but not at all thin, slightly higher level of carbonation than I expect for the style, but not unreasonable or unpleasant.
O: This is a kickass IPA, a definite in-your-face bitterness without approaching the tongue-raping that some brewers seem to be aiming for with their IPAs. I really like that there is some malt character to go along with the hops. Highly recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Wow - this poured a very dense fog of murky orange. I don't remember seeing that in an IPA offering before - a haze yes - but this is opaque. Quite common to see in Belgian Ales. In a blind taste I would have guessed an IPA based on the aroma and flavor but the mouthfeel would have caused me hesitation; it is thick for an IPA and thus one might want to favor a highly hopped Belgian Ale except that it lacks the style accents of sour/sweet notes of a BA.

A = thick head, very dense haze
S = citrus fruits
T = lighter than mouthfeel, sharp citrus
M = quite thick for an IPA
O = I am accustomed to my IPA's having a lighter weight so this beer throws my expectations off. The flavor and aroma is dead on, so don't get me wrong! I am noting that seasoned (or inebriated) reviewers are giving this high marks because they like this twist. I could easily come to highly favor IPA heavy weights. I'd like to introduce this beer to my friends who favor BA's of IPA's and see what they think. And I'd like a Black IPA to carry this weight. I'll have it again.

Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company