Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by xlperro on 08-10-2002

Ratings: 3,295 |  Reviews: 931
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

A nice earthly IPA with a heavy malty balance with herbal hops.

A - Deep old fashioned burnt orange, haziness, creamy heard
S - piney resin hops with a dark malt nose without being roasted. Not really inspiring but here goes nothing
T - Big sweet and nutty malt character hits of pine and a bit of the dirty hops & slightly citrus
M - Medium body and a well rounded lasting mouth feel
O - I had this with a Vietnamese noodle, sweet/sour/hot sauce and stir fried pork was one of the best pairings I have ever had. It was great and really opened the beer up.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

On edit:

My original review is below. I thought I might have had an old bottle and hoped to re-visit this one.

My update is as follows: appearance is basically the same; aroma was much better - earthy, with citrus undertones and a bit of caramel in the background; there was a lot more flavor this time - follows the nose; mouthfeel is the same; overall, not one of my favorites, but at least now I can see why others are so high on it;

My original review:

I wish my bottle tasted as good as other reviewers notes indicate. I presume my bottle was old and the hops had faded. I have to go out of state to get it, so it may be a while, but I'll re-review when I can.

A: cloudy; a deep bronze; 1 finger off white head that receded slowly to a thick cap; really nice lacing;

S: muted; a little flora. a little tropical fruit, and a little pine; hard to distinguish; I can see how this would be really nice if there was more of it;

T: follows the nose; difficult to get anything specific; moderate bitterness from mid-palate through the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: the potential was there, it just didn't come out;

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

1.92/5  rDev -51.4%

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Dark Horse scores again

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%

Very good beer, mellow on the front with pine on the back. Pours a pink grapefruit juice pink/orange color. Not as much body as I like, but very good.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%