Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by Mitchster on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 1,038 |  Reviews: 418
3.6/5  rDev -4%

Hmm, an 8% oatmeal stout, this should be interesting.

A super aggressive pour yields a creamy rich dark 1/2 finger head that fades at a medium pace, over just about pitch black beer, and very light lacing.

Nose of a nice stout, some roasted malts, some black patent malt, some oatmeal, some smoked malts, a bit of caramel, actually some chocolate seems to come out more and more as it warms, dark and baker's chocolate. A bit of a creamy milk chocolate too. Plenty of coffee blended in also.

Taste starts very rich and creamy, almost chewy. Plenty of oatmeal, bringing a thick rich and creamy taste and feel. Also lots of dark malts, some roasted malt, lots of coffee, a bit of caramel, touch of vanilla, and plenty of chocolate with baker's and dark chocolate going again, as well as a hint of toffee and tobacco. Also some creamy milk chocolate flavors. With all that is some smoked malt as well. Some light earthy hops, and a bit of bitterness from the roasted malts bringing a bit of a briny mineral salty taste. As it finishes it dries a bit, leaving more of the briny salty taste, as well as more chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, and a bit of oatmeal. A bit of a warming booze, and hint of boozy taste. Very late on the palate lingering a hint of a fruity flavor, as well as burnt bitter coffee grinds and acidic tastes.

Mouth is heavier bodied, thick rich and creamy, with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is somewhat meh, with some boozy flavors, that briny salty taste, the coffee grinds and acidic flavors, and overall heaviness. The only thing helping it is the smooth oatmeal feel. This beer is much bigger than it should be for an oatmeal stout, and closer to a RIS. Way too much roasted and chocolate malts. The bit of smoke is nice, but there are too many other flavors pounded into this one beer.

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours ink black with a quick to form and quick to fade mocha colored head atop,aromas of char and vanilla stick out but honestly are pretty light in my opinion.Low carbonation with a slick feel in the mouth.Flavors of char and vanilla stand out most with roast underneath,a bit of molasses-like sweetness is there as well.I expected a little more with this beer but there are many others to seek out ahead of this...in my opinion.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

G: Poured into a 16-ounce pint glass with the University of Illinois' logo.

A: Pours a thick, dark chocolate color with a cinnamon-colored head. Quite a bit of carbonation; you can hear it fizzle as it settles in the glass.

S: Rich malt with scents of dark chocolate, followed up by increasing hints of oatmeal. Sweet liquor.

T: Very nice malt up front, coming in alongside semi-sweetened notes of chocolate. Slight hints of coffee--more in the minor acidic quality than in actual flavor, though it's there. Quite good, but the chocolate flavor dominates a little too much.

M: Very smooth and medium-bodied. Mild carbonation. Goes down well with only the slightest hint of alcohol.

D: Definitely drinkable, especially for the style. The lighter body makes for a beer you can definitely have more than one of at each sitting. I'm becoming more and more impressed with Dark Horse brews. This is yet another I'll have to plan on picking up a four-pack of.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: bottle shared by baybum at a March '13 tasting. Thanks, Ray!

Sampled this in a very interesting vertical line along with Too Cream, and Tres Blueberry, and 4 Elf.

Solid black pour, with a small tan head, that sank to a ringlet. Roasty stout aroma, dark malts, toasted oats and barley. No surprises. This followed into the taste, roasty dark malts, toasted grains, slight coffee bitterness, ash. The body was about medium, kind of weak for an oatmeal stout, but I'd bet it would work well on nitro. A pretty basic but solid oatmeal stout overall.

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours black, with 1/2 finger of VERY dark looking mocha colored head. This diminishes pretty quickly, leaving back a very light spackling of spotty lacing. There's lots of chocolate roast present here in the aroma, with the oatmeal adding a sweet and smooth texture and an almost milky feel to the nose. A touch of earthy hops hangs on the fringes.

The taste is even darker feeling than the aroma was, with a deep and almost dry roasted presence to it. Some sticky notes of chocolate and caramel try to pull things back some but all of that hops and roast really controls the profile with a ton of lingering roastiness that really sticks in the finish. The oatmeal flavor doesn't seem as noticable to me as it did in the aroma. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of sharpness to the carbonation yet this still remains fairly smooth and drinkable for the most part despite the overall dark tone of this.

Not bad. Some more sweetness would have been welcome to help balance out all of that dark biterness but the oatmeal saved the day in the end, helping keep this smooth on the palate.

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured a thick black color with a moderate dark tan head to it. The head faded but clung to the edge of the glass, where it left a bit of lacing.

The aroma has some chocolate and roasty flavors with a nice smooth oat quality to it. Very smooth and appealing, but moderate compared to how flavorful and bitter the taste is.

The taste starts off with some bitter-sweet chocolaty and creamy flavors to it. It quickly turns into a bold roasted, burnt, bitter finish though. The bitter and burnt flavors linger long into the finish. It also shows a nice dark and bitter chocolate flavor throughout. The oats help give it a smooth quality. Very nice tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is on the thicker side and somewhat creamy. Carbonation is moderate to below average. Excellent mouthfeel for my taste. Drinkability is good, it was a very taste and enjoyable beer.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this one from EchoCharlieEcho, cheers Elisabeth!

Pours oily, thick, black & with a pinky of tan head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, woody hops & some whiffs of booze

T: Dark chocolate, a touch of charred grain, some herbal hops & coffee grinds up front. Slight licorice notes, dryness, dark chocolate, & more charred grain once this warms. Finishes with dark chocolate, dryness, plus raisins & plums

MF: Chewy with minimal carbonation, enough to smooth it out quite nicely

Drinks fairly easy, but the ABV does assert itself a bit. I could still pound a 4 pack on a winter's night with some fudge or brownies no problem!

3.61/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The Fridge just reloaded their stash and I am curious to run through some of these stouts.

I went with a heavy-handed pour to keep things progressing. This resulted in two dense fingers of deep-brwon head with excellent retention. Nose smelled like someone had melted a milk chocolate candy bar and poured it into my glass. Color was a deep, dark-brown allowing ZERO light penetration (SRM = 44). Mouthfeel was big and chewy, like a dollop of fudge atop my tongue. Phew! The taste was smoky, more towards campfire than house fire, with a chocolaty sweetness that left me wondering what had possessed me. I like hoppy beers, not malt-driven ones, but even so, I will give this a fair shake. Finish continued to be fudgy, sweet and not really my cup of tea. I do not mind bitter stouts, but sweet is never going to make it into my wheelhouse.

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Oreo cookie black with a hint of dark caramel at the edges. Even the brightest sunlight fails to bring highlights out of this black hole of a stout. The head is a firm, tight, two fingers of foam that resembles a molasses-filled sponge. I don't care about the relative lack of lace, One is a good looking stout.

The nose is pretty wonderful as well. It's mega roasted malty with aromas of charred coffee beans and dark chocolate. The lack of any discernable hoppiness in a beer of this sort has never bothered me because it's all about the malt. I think I'm gonna like this one.

My first Dark Horse beer is a good One. This may just be the richest, darkest oatmeal stout that has ever entered my mouth. It comes close to American double stout territory without quite making it across the border. Each mouthful is further proof that only good things can happen when a brewer uses a generous amount of generously roasted barley.

Like the nose, the flavor profile is roughly equal parts bittersweet chocolate and black coffee. I might even detect a hint of vanilla in there as well. I also love the fact that the sweetness of the malt sugars are perfectly balanced by the bitterness of the hops (or perhaps it's the bitter char from the malt). Either way, this stuff is some kind of delicious.

I like my stout mouthfeels stouter than most. This one is just right. It's full enough and creamy enough to please the mouth and tongue and to provide for a great deal of flavor linger. Again, double stouts have nothing to worry about, but it's more than adequate for the task at hand. Incidently, the 8.0% ABV is buried with consummate skill.

I've been looking for Dark Horse beer for some time now and was lucky enough to run across the entire Holiday Stout Series several days ago. If One is any indication of the quality that I can expect from Too, Tres and Fore, then it will be all I can do to restrain myself from drinking them all today.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Received in the Birthday BIF from normyk; thanks Rob!

a - Pours a dark black color with one inch of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of rich chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts, cocoa, cream/oatmeal, and coffee. Smells pretty nice.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla/cream, and light coffee. Tastes slightly watered down, but still pretty good.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth body, but thinner than I would expect for a stout.

d - A nice oatmeal stout. I liked the smell a lot, and the taste was fine, but seemed a little watered down. Would have again.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Ahh..The dark horse series finally arrives on my doorstep. I cannot tell you how long I have been waiting to try these. It seems like it has been forever since I first heard about these and was able to finally score them. I knew I had to try any series of big stouts, I just had to. So I was fortunate enough to get these in a trade and decided to dive right in and see what we had here. The first one pours out a thick inky jet black, and thick looking as well with an almost oil like appearance, really quite nice. Rich chocolate colored tan foam that rose up a good two inches over the top of the glass before finally settling down to a thin half inch layer that lasted the rest of the session, but not before dropping copious amounts of side glass lace all over the sides. Really nice and a classic stout look.

So as I go in and take a closer look I was a bit surprised to be honest. This really did not smell much like an oatmeal stout. At least to me it was much more reminiscent of a Baltic porter, well at first it did. It had that sharp alcohol nose to it and a hint of some dark spicy fruit mixed in. Quite interesting and definitely more then a little unique. I decided to let it warm to really bring out what was hiding in here and then came out the nice sweet notes of chocolate and coffee along with hints of lactose that I was looking for. The flavors followed along with a hint again something sweet, but yet a tart sort of fruit flavor as well. Very nice. Very rich full body on this one with great carbonation that never really gave up any ground at all.

Overall, I thought this was excellent. Certainly, a more then worthy stout, and a great introduction to what they can do at Dark Horse with well, a dark beer. It was a little more of a hybrid style for me, but I guess and imperial oatmeal stout would be anyway. Could have been a little sweeter, but this was still excellent by all means. A very good beer here and I anxiously await trying the rest of the series.

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at Brass Rail Deli in Campbelltown, shared with Tim D while brewing a second batch of sunny sun.

A - A black like used motor oil color w/ thin tan cap w/ a tight bead and light lace clings. The clarity is practically opaque

S - A mild roasted nose akin to coffee w/ a slight sweet malt aroma and mild molasses accent w/ slight dark sugar note

M - the feel has a medium body w/ roasted texture and mellow sweetness w/ a light smoke element and finishes on semi dry side w/ a gentle spice and dry toastiness

T The taste is mildly toasted w/ coffee and dark chocolate flavor w/ a mild sweet vanilla and hint of pepper w/ smoke accenting. The taste has a light bitter flavor of hops w/ very dark malt astringent aspect and mild cocoa comes out as it warms w/ a slight smooth tinge of oats which balances the spiciness w/ a touch of creaminess

D - A fairly good stout, not the best oatmeal stout I have had, but I found it fairly easy to drink for the strength and would just prefer more balance with sweet and roasted elements

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to chpueblo22 for this and three other Dark Horse stouts. I figured I'd start with One, since now I have the whole series.

Appearance - Jet black. Inky. I couldn't even see if I was pouring sediment. Small khaki head that reduces to only wisps.

Smell - Dominated by bitter chocolate and coffee. Very roasty. Might even be a hint of booze in it.

Taste - Dark malts through and through. Bitter chocolate and bitter coffee. A strong bitterness in the finish that isn't really offensive, but intense. It's tough to tell what's malt bitterness and what's hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation. Slightly boozy, even at 8%. Extremely bitter at points. If I don't think about it, it isn't bad, but the instant I notice it, it becomes a bit much.

Overall - A nice oatmeal stout. Not really remarkable, but solid. I enjoy really roasty stouts like this, but there isn't much that distinguishes it from others in the same category. That said, I wouldn't turn down another.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Believe it was Richard who sent this one my way. Thanks!

A: The beer pours almost black with a finger of tan head sitting on top.

S: Plenty of coffee on the aroma along with lots of roasted malt and char. A slight sweetness of chocolate and licorice, but there's some dark/bitter chocolate to it as well.

T: Lots of chocolate, particularly dark chocolate, and some cocoa powder. Roasted malts and char, maybe some ash. Coffee and a touch of oatmeal provide a bit of depth. Very mild sweetness of toffee.

M: Medium in body with a moderate carbonation and a smoothness on the tongue.

O: This whole series of stouts has been pretty solid. I enjoyed this one.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale from Dark Horse Brewing Company