Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Availability: Fall

Added by Mitchster on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 1,038 |  Reviews: 418
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a deep dark black color with a thick 2 finger tane foam head that has decent retention. Small amounts of lacing.

S: There is some nice amount of roasted coffee and milk chocolate. There is also a decent amount of fresh tobacco and some vanilla.

T: Starts off a little tannic almost with some leather and tobacco. In the middle there is some oatmeal, milk chocolate and chocolate. Finishes with more tobacco and leather.

M: A nice medium to full bodied beer that leaves a slightly bitter tannic leather taste on the palate. Quite dry.

O: A decent overall oatmeal stout. Was suprised by the amount of leather and tobacco present. Would like to try this on cask.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.75/5  rDev 0%

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Another brew my man Kiddwhiz hooked up. My man. He hooked up 2, I put one down without thinking. Thought I should review the second before it's gone! We don't get these in Colorado.

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A - Pours a deep deep brown/black color with a huge 2.5 finger head with a rich creamy dark tan/brown head with very good retention though mild lacing.

S - Solid coffee and roasted malt/coffee malt aroma.

T/M - A very solid roasted coffee/chocolate malt flavor upftont. The beer transitioned nicely to a creamy almost vanilla middle while finishing with a slightly bitter finish. A little variety on the Oatmeal Stout.

D - Very very drinkable.

Overall, this is a solid, albeit strong Oatmeal Stout. For a style dominated by a smaller profile this represents itself well. Complex yet smooth and enjoyable. Should you find yourself in area I'd pick one up ;)

Reviewed on: 01-25-2011 03:24:34

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle with no dates.

Solid black with a light brown head that drops after a couple minutes to a foamy ring with a light sheet across the top. Nice lacing effect.

Smells of chocolate, dark roasted malts, some grain in the background, and a nice note of hop in the finish.

The roasted malt dominates the taste. There's a brief touch of sweetness, followed by a slight taste of the oats, then the dry hop finish kicks in. Not exactly balanced, but I like the combination.

Good thick mouthfeel that is expected for the style.

This is a really good (dry) stout, but not exactly what one would expect an oatmeal stout to taste like. Tastes more like Bell's Kalamazoo than it does Samuel Smith's Oatmeal.

3.81/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours with a medium to thick texture. Sits black in the glass with a creamy, dark brown head which peaked at about half a finger. No active carbonation in glass while drinking.

Smell: Main accents are a heavily roasted malt body with some good oatmeal presence. Some dark fruit hops and creamy dairy tones provide a solid body for this brew. Roasted heavy malt is certainly the biggest player here though.

Taste: The creamy texture greets the palate. Accents of vanilla and milk chocolate slowly transition to a darker, roasted malt body of black coffee, dark chocolate, and dark hop tones. The finish a continuation of the roasted malt and coffee flavors.

Mouthfeel: Nice transitions of a semi-sweet front to a full bodied heavy malt presence. Carbonation is light with a smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: A solid stout. Full bodied without being anything over the top or to heavy. Not a ton of the oatmeal flavors but some smooth creaminess is picked up. Looked at this line of Dark Horse stouts for a while, glad I finally tried this one.

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.29/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Black liquid with a 1 finger head. The head is tan in color and has irregular and larger bubbles. The head did not last too long and thinned out to a film

S: Chocolate and malts.

T: A bit of a bitter start - like bitter chocolate. After that roasted malt flavor and not much else. As it warms there is a bit of sweet to the finish - which is nice.

M: Nice smooth feeling with a slight edge of carbonation. Well balanced and good overall feel.

O: This is just okay. Nothing sticks out to make it worth repeating. I bought several Dark Horse stouts at the same time and so far none of them have been noteworthy.

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

from the bottle. the last of the 3 stouts that I bought and this one did not disappoint me. poured black with a brown head with some lacing. flavor sweet, malts, chocolate, coffee. flavor the chocolate and malts where right on for me got some dark fruits and berries. very good.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

I come home from work and I have two trade packages waiting for me...my day just got better. I get my "welcome home" kiss from my wife and she tells me that she is going to be making breakfast for dinner. Sounds ok to me. I sit the two boxes on the table and start digging into 'em. Mynie graciously threw this one in as an extra to our trade. Oatmeal Stout and breakfast...sounds perfect!

This one pours thick and black. There is a thin brown head that leaves a spot or two on the glass. I hold it up to the light just to check....nope, pitch black.

The aroma is of dark roasted malts...coffee, dark chocolate. There is a hint of the oats in here and some wood, charcoal, and alcohol. Smells like a cowboy breakfast to me.

The flavor has a lot of the coffee and dark chocolate. I get a bit of the burnt wood and the alcohol, also. Smoothing oatmeal finish helps to cool the burn from the alcohol and the bitter chocolate/espresso. There is a nice sweetness that passes through in the middle.

Full bodied. Creamy texture with a nice warmth to it. This is a nice morning sipper, if you're into that sort of thing. Good beer Dark Horse. Thanks, Tristan!

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this up with a bunch of other stuff from Heritage tonight for the Beer Geek Christmas. I think this is a bottle from 08 (red sticker).

Pours a dark motor oil like black, with a dark brown head. Not the greatest retention, and doesn't leave a lot of lacing.

The nose is smooth oatmeal, with lightly toasted malts, bitter chocolate, molasses. Pretty intense, and not a hint of alcohol. There is a lot going on here, and you can tell from the get go this is a big oatmeal stout.

The taste is about the same, with oatmeal, bitter chocolate, molasses, maybe even a little coffee. There is a much more defined toasted character here as well. I can imagine that some time has done this some good. I just wish it had a little more umph if you know what I mean.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, no lingering bitter aftertaste. Goes down smooth with a slow carbonatoin. Drinkability is great.

Overall, another solid stout from Dark Horse. I've now had 1 and 5 (one and fifth), so I need to see out 2, 3 and 4 (too, tres and fore). I liked Pleading the fifth a little more, but this is still a great beer.

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%