Dark Horse One Oatmeal Stout Ale | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by Mitchster on 08-15-2002

Ratings: 1,035 |  Reviews: 417
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +13.7%

This is a well made oatmeal stout. I gave it decent numbers.. Jet black.. Nice aroma, nice taste! I think this stout should get better scores. But everyone's taste is different.

4.13/5  rDev +9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I'll drink bottle #2 of the four-pack tonight, and if the facts change I'll change my opinion. But bottle #1 has me disappointed in my purchase. As many reviews here echo my experience of the taste of this beer, though, I'm not hopeful. I bought this as a cheap substitute for my beloved Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, and because the brewers are fellow Michiganders.

I drank from the bottle, I confess, so not much to say about the appearance except that it looked pretty chocolaty and dark against the off-white of the sink this morning.

From the first sniff it was clear drinking would be a chore. This beer tastes like Hopsy Cola. Almost a painful feel in the mouth. As someone once said of a basswood telecaster I will repeat about a highly hoppy stout--'It ain't right, I tell ya.' I will definitely try other stouts in Dark Horse's series, but probably won't be going back to square one.

4.18/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a good beer. Out of the five seasonal stouts by Dark Horse I prefer the Fifth (obviously) and Thres. I'm glad I tried this though. A good oatmeal stout.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.27/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.72/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Just not a fan of this one...and im a stout kinda guy

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Continuing my Oatmeal Stout samplings. 4pk of Dark Horse - One Oatmeal Stout is nearly true to form for the style - straight up a decent oatmeal stout...just let it warm up to room temp though or you'll be disappointed.
A: Very dark chocolate brown with an inch thick cratered head - beautiful - except that it settled to a lacy head in short order. The retention was expected but lacking.
S: Roasted oats.
M: A little watery and less smooth than expected; not a lot of fullness. A mild amount of carbonation was noticed
T: nutty, roasted nuts and a mildly bitter aftertaste, that softened as it warmed.
O: I didn't let it sit long enough and the coolness impacted the first impression. As it warmed, the profile also expanded - the roasted oats and trailing bitterness softened (though not entirely) and blended fairly well. With the exception of the head retention - which would have helped expand the profile - and the bitterness, this held true to the basic style.

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.07/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

One of the handsomest beers I've ever poured.

An aroma much quieter than expected after having the outsized pleasure of watching this black gold fill the glass.

Flavor in the mouth also seems a bit of a . . . of a . . . I can't really say what the deal is. It's incredibly flavorful -- coffee, baker's chocolate, crispy pancake edges, something else I can't put my finger on -- and, yet, it's not quite great. I mean, I'm enjoying it as much as the best 50 or 60 beers I've had in the past year. But will I remember this a week from now? Six months from now? (I guess I will, now that I've written this sentence.)

Lively carbonation plays off of the smoothness to create an inspiring, compressed experience of disparate textures that combine to be more than the sum of the parts.

Well done, Dark Horse.