Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Ratings: 1,748 |  Reviews: 657

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Pours a plain, unassuming black body with a small tan head.

Smell: Dark roasted malts with a pleasant, clear-cut blueberry scent. Though crammed into one sentence, I assure you it is a really lovely aroma.

Taste: Blueberry fruitiness right out of the game. Some sweet dark malts struggle to keep up. Taste of sugar-crusted chocolate muffin tops. More blueberries for the finish.

Mouthfeel: A bit above medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: It's actually pretty nice. The flavors contrast and complement each other quite well.

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

This is totally out of my comfort zone, since I am not a fruity guy, I prefer AIPAs to stouts and I usually defer to CANs vice bottles, but I was goaded into the purchase by one of the co-owners of The Fridge.

My pour resulted in two-plus fingers of thick deep-brown head with good retention. Color was a stygian, dense dark brown that allowed for ZERO light penetration. Nose was, indeed, tres blueberry! Redolent with blueberries, in fact. How can you go wrong with blueberries? They are full of antioxidants and I like to pop a handful in my mouth and bite down for an explosion of blueberries. That is what this tasted like, along with a slight coffee-like bitterness. Wow! Mouthfeel was medium and if it could have been just a little creamier, I would have been heaven-sent. Finish lingered with the taste of blueberry and I was thankful that I followed someone else's suggestion.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Devil's food cake with no highlights to speak of. It'd be cool if there was a hint of blueberry at the edges, but no such luck. The three finger cap looks like cappuchino frosting and is about as thick and rich. I don't mind the lack of lace one bit because Tres looks like a stout lover's stout.

Immediately after the pour, when I was trying to focus on the beer's appearance, I thought the aroma might get the ultimate score. Fragrant clouds of blueberry-infused fudge greeted my nose and made my mouth water. Up close it isn't even close to that special, but it's still damn good. Do I smell black pepper as well?

Just like One (Oatmeal) and Too (Cream), Tres is fabulous stout. I don't think Dark Horse changed much from beer to beer, but then I'm glad they didn't since they hit the bull's eye the first time around. I'm not sure that I've ever had a really good blueberry stout. I have now.

Tres tastes like the darkest, most fudgey chocolate cake imaginable, with blueberry juice added to the liquid ingredients and chunks of dried blueberries soaked in blueberry brandy added to the dry ingredients. I'm still getting a cracked black pepperiness that I could take or leave. It does, however, make an already interesting beer even more interesting.

For some reason, Too's mouthfeel was on the light side. This beer rights the ship, but my bottle is a little too carbonated for my liking. Underneath the bubbles, though, it's easy to appreciate the chewy smoothness of a well-brewed, incredibly malty beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dark Horse's Holiday Stout Series. It's too bad that I only have one more to go. Tres Blueberry Stout is a delicious marriage of fruit and roasted barley. If you're lucky enough to see this stuff on the shelves, don't hesitate. Tres is tres magnifique.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

A great example of Extreme Beer, simply thinking outside the box. Take a stout and add fruit to it, yeah its been done before but its still extreme. Killer, this stout is BLACK ... nothing off of the edges when put to the light. Black. Thick cropping of brown lace sticks to the glass quite well. Lots of blueberry in the aroma with layers of underneath of dark chocolate, hints of smoked charcoal, French Roast coffee and carob powder. Semi-creamy medium body, deep smoothness is pleasing to the palate. Mellow but very present blueberry flavor in the middle with some malt sweetness. Malt flavors run quick from mild caramel to a solid roasted grain. Hop bitterness is held to a minimum which is best because the roasted flavors do a fine job at balancing. Sweet finish.

While I am not a fruit beer nut I do enjoy a well crafted one, Dark Horse gets it right here with a great balance of sweet to roast and enough blueberry to go around with out being overkill.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary tulip.

a - Pours a jet black color with one finger of tan head that leaves very quickly and moderate carbonation evident. Looks exactly like Dark Horse's Too.

s - Smells of blueberries, roasted malts, chocolate, bready malts, light toasted malts, and light vanilla. The blueberries are not overpowering but complement the normaly roasted malts and chocolate of a stout. Very enjoyable if you like blueberries.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, coffee, toasted and burnt malts, and very light blueberries and fruit. The taste is good and enjoyable, but a step down from the nose. The blueberries don't seem to come through like they do in the nose; the roasted malts and bitter coffe/chocolate dominate it a bit.

m - Relatively light body for a stout and moderate to high carbonation.

d - Overall this is a really nice stout. I loved the nose and really thought the blueberries came through in it. I think the bitter chocolate and coffee muted the blueberries in the taste a bit, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Would certainly have again.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

Therefore, I chose this one as my nightcap last night. I have been gradually working my way through the lineup of these, and have been generally more then pleased with the results so far, lets just see now how one a blueberry stout can hold up. The pour was just as I would have expected, dark as night and completely opaque. A very nice dark chocolate colored head rose up to a height of around two inches before finally settling back down to a thin layer across the top on the glass that lasted throughout the session.

The aroma was where its at. Very nice rich, sweet stout aroma, with the definite hint of blueberry inside. First impressions were that this was not your cheap artificial flavor, but rather a really nice blend that was done during brewing. There was a very nice coffee and chocolate layer in here as well, with the blueberry not being the strongest player, but definitely strong enough not to be ignored. The flavor as well was very strong, very sweet, and very good. A rich sweet stout that did not have the slightest hint of alcohol is what greeted me right away. Very nice touches of coffee and lactose, with a touch of vanilla are evident right off the bat. I was not able to detect the Blueberry in the flavor at first, then the finish hit me. Like a blueberry muffin, very nice with just the right amount of tartness throughout. This was easily one of the better fruit beers I have ever tasted. It was not overdone, rather just a touch put in there so that it accentuated the underlying ale beautifully. Really very nice and an awesomely sessionable nightcap for sure.

Overall, I thought this was excellent and was easily my favorite among all of the ones that I had before. I would love to try this one on tap, as I am sure it would be outstanding. If you can get this it is a must try. One of the best, and most unique stouts I have had in quite some time.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

I picked this up at Al's of Hampden as part of a mix-a-six. Poured chilled from the 12oz into a tasting glass.

The stout appears black, opaque with thick medium tan cap w/ tight bead and thick lace collects. The aroma has a pleasant blueberry aroma with slight floral scent and there is a hint of cocoa with slight bitter aroma and mild caramel odor. The feel is very good with a sturdy medium body and mild sweetness w/ slight bitter hint and mild roast level w/ gentle fruit tanginess and semi-dry finish with subtle alcohol.

This stout has a moderate malt sweetness on entry with mild bitter tinge and sweet element of blueberry -the blueberry tastes like natural fruit, not extract with elements of spice from the hops and gentle bitter tinges. The caramel and dark malt flavors form a solid base for the blueberry to be supported by with mild toastiness and semi-dry flavor as it finishes. I really enjoyed this and think it has just enough blueberry without going overboard and losing sight of the base stout. I am a fan of blueberry so I could probably enjoy it in any style as long as it is done well. I think Dark Horse did a great job of combining the two flavors.

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into an Alchemist pint glass. Another Dark Horse brew from chpueblo22.

Appearance - Another inky black stout from Dark Horse! I'm always impressed. No half-measures with the stouts from these guys. This one, though, actually retains a bit of its head. Maybe it's the change of glassware (this is narrower than a traditional pint glass).

Smell - When it's cold, the blueberry is quite prominent and the stout is an afterthought. As it warms, the aromas blend into a complex, although not necessarily better, nose. The bitter coffee comes through with the blueberry in a way that is interesting, but not all that complementary.

Taste - The flavors do blend nicely on the palate, though. The blueberry is up front, but still takes a backseat to the stout until the finish. The stout is dark roast driven, like One and Too Cream, yielding intense coffee and dark chocolate flavors. The blueberry really shines in the finish as the stout drops off. It's quite a nice flavor for a stout, really.

Mouthfeel - Not as bitter as the other Dark Horse stouts I've had. It still has a bitter finish from the roast, but it isn't as intense. It's decently carbed and seems just a touch sweet from the blueberry flavor.

Overall - Good stuff. A flavor I wouldn't expect to go well. The stout tames a dominant blueberry flavor nicely and I don't feel like I'm drinking a fruit beer. I could use a couple more of these.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

I've been looking forward to trying this one for quite some time; thanks Michael!

A: The beer is nearly black in color with a small-ish tan head on top.

S: Tons of sweet blueberries in the nose. A bit sugary and overly sweet like blueberry pie, but still pleasant. The coffee and roasted notes keep things from becoming cloying.

T: The blueberry flavor is certainly there and is much the way you would expect from the nose. The coffee, roast, and bitter chocolate are more noticeable here and provide a bit more balance.

M: Medium body with a fairly high level of carbonation for the style, but seems to work for this beer.

D: One of those different/interesting beers that actually was quite good. I look forward to having another one of these.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

The Tres Blueberry Stout is decent....I typically do not like fruity stouts but this one is good. The beer poured an opaque black with tan head that is not leaving a lace. The scent has roast and blueberry. The taste starts roasty and finishes with a blueberry zeal. The mouthfeel is fuller in body with good carbonation. Overall its a stout worth trying.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Hoping to work my way through all five of these stouts this year. For some reason, I decided to start here, with number three. Go figure. It pours a straight onyx topped by a finger of darkly sienna foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, dark chocolate, dank blueberries, and some molasses thrown in for good measure. The taste brings in more of the same, but the conflict between the dark chocolate/bitter roasted malts and the blueberries is apparent from the get-go. It ends up coming off as too bitter, too pithy (sort of) for me. The body is lightly hefty, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, a pretty good beer, but the flavors involved just don't seem to mesh entirely well. I can drink it, just not very easily and without complete enjoyment. Close, though...

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Typical stout appearance. Near black opaque body with a thick beige head. The aroma brings the blueberries right away. Blueberry, chocolate, roast. Smells very inviting. The flavor offers more roast and chocolate initially, with blueberries coming in mid palate. Quite tasty. Medium bodied with a bit of sweetness, but not nearly as much as I was expecting. Dry finish. I would definitely have this again.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received in trade from barak316, thanks for the opportunity. A vigorous pour produces jet black body with tight tan head that looks like poetry in a glass. It smells like blueberry muffins as soon as I pop the cap. Roasty herbal earthy aromas as well as some berries upon closer sniffing. Taste is herbal and earthy up front to the point of being annoying. That slowly fades into a burnt sugar roasted kind of thing. Long lingering caramel roasty sweetness with a touch of heat in the finish. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a rough sticky mouthfeel. This kind of grew on me as I drank it, but its not one of my favorites. This for me was very similar to the two with the addition of blueberry flavoring?

3.92/5  rDev -1.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours nearly black in color with a head that is very darkly tanned to almost brown. The head is about a finger strong and displays very good retension. Nose of this beer has an abundant amount of dark/burnt grain character along with chocolate, coffee and overall it is just very roasty. However, behind the normal stout character and aroma there is the fruity sweetness and smell of blueberries. Taste of this beer is a bit puzzling...but in a good way. It has a solid taste profile of a well made stout: flavors of bitter burnt grains, chocolate, coffee and even the alcohol is present. However, there is no getting around it, there is clearly a blueberry flavor added in there as well. Each sip yields a different experience from the blueberry's standpoint: sometimes blending throughout the body playing an interesting role with the other flavors, to sometimes being sweet, bold and upfront and then yet almost nonexistent until the finish in other sips. The feel of this beer is light and the carbonation is quite high. In fact, I would have marked the feel and drinkability higher but the carbonation is a bit over the top.

Very interesting experience. I have had other fruited stouts and enjoyed them as much as I enjoy this one. The blueberry was an interesting choice and I think it goes well.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company