Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Ratings: 1,751 |  Reviews: 658

3.94/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a three finger brown head that vanishes leaving no lace. Black color, no highlights, ton of yeast left in bottle. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Blueberry nose and flavor is roasted coffee and blueberry. $2.95 for a 12 oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%

Enjoying with my good friend pchul4

A: Dark as night with a coppery colored head. Very little head overall, with no lacing. Looks great to me.

S: Smells like straight blueberries, with a little of the roastiness in stouts. Very good. Im eager to try this.

T: Pretty good. The roasty character of the stout mixes fairly well with the sweet blueberry flavor. However, I feel as though the blueberry kind of tastses a little odd when paired with blueberry.

M: A little light, with slight carbonation. Pretty smooth. Most of the time I look my stouts to be a little thicker, but I actually enjoy the lighter mouthfeel of this. Probably because of the sweetness from the blueberry.

O: A pretty good sweet stout overall.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Shared with my boy areich6, big thanks to my friend Tony for hookin me up with this one

A- Pours a very dark body with one of the darkest heads I've ever seen #junglefever

S- Blueberrys attack the nose followed by some roasty malt character. This smells great!

T- You can taste the blueberry and the roasty malts meld in your mouth. Delectible! I would like a slightly stronger blueberry flavor but it's good just the way it is

M- A little too much carbonation for a stout but thats really the only bad thing I can say about this beer

O- I really enjoyed this beer, wish I had more to share with more friends

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from winter 2010-2011.

Pours essentially black, dark brown at the edges. Two-finger coffee-colored head, decent retention and some really nice lacing. Looks a lot like their other stouts, but with more head, better lacing, and a deeper color.

Smell is full of smooth coffee and chocolate, complemented by a juicy sweetness. If I try hard, I can convince myself I smell blueberries. I get a bit of them in the middle of the smell, but mostly they bring that dark-juicy light-sweet fruit aroma. Quite nice. Has a very similar malt base smell to the other stouts in this series, but that chewy fruit addition is a great complement.

Taste is much like the smell, but with more blueberry. Again the malts bring chocolate and coffee, with only a light hit of bitterness. Then the blueberries come on strong, pushing through the finish with a delicious berry-juice sweetness. A little bitter kick, like blueberry skin, comes on at the very end. I think this is my first fruit stout, and I really like it.

Medium-bodied, ample carbonation. Kinda chewy, actually.

I've been drinking my way through Dark Horse's "numbered" stouts. This one is definitely the best so far. The blueberry works really well with the dark roasted malts - so well that I'm surprised more brewers don't do this. An excellent beer, IMO.

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a viscous black motor oil with no head and little to no carbonation evident.

Aromas begin with blueberries and coffee. When I actually bring the glass to my nostrils I get, you guessed it a crap ton of blueberry coffee. As it warms I get more soy sauce and smoked malt. A little off-putting than I remember having in the bottle several months ago.

The taste is not as dominant as the nose but thank goodness. Initially you get lots of bitter dark baker's cocoa and lesser fudge brownies a consistent artificial blueberry maple syrup.

The mouthfeel is so so so full for a 4 and change ABV beer. Carbonation is low and could definitely use a bit more considering the style. A little too syrupy. Chewy and so so so full bodied.

Overall this is not as amazing as I remember in the bottle when I first sampled last year. This is much more roasted and smokey than I remember and I prefer the lighter coffee and chocolate from the bottled version than this thick roasted acrid example.

2.95/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The brew is brown with reddish traits, a quickly dissipating tan foam, no lacing, some curtains.

The first whiff from the bottle was intensely blueberry jam, then it quickly turns very sweetish sour (stomach acid vibe). Some sour old coffee filter.

Tasting sweet brown blueberry bread, some vanilla and dark chocolate. Roasted nuts.

Little carbonation, big bubbles, smooth and slightly oily. A faint dry finish.

This did not resonate with me, the smell was very off-putting.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle, traded with a fellow beer geek for a Green Flash Rayon Vert.

A - Dark, can see through the peripheries, deep brown color, with a small light-brown head.

S - Coffee, dark chocolate, and blueberries, not the artificial blueberry smell either. Smells really great.

T - Like the smell, the beer leads with a nice all-natural blueberry note, minus the sweetness, and is followed by bigger hints of dark, bitter chocolate and ends with a mouth sensation like you just ate a blueberry a few seconds previously. Haven't had one like this, but very enjoyable.

M - More carbonation than expected, lighter than I like most of my stouts, but wasn't disappointing. Easy-to-drink stout.

O - Didn't really know what to expect, besides blueberries of course, and came out very satisfied. I'd definitely like to drink one again sometime.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a nice ebony color with an attractive, mocha colored head that sits at about an inch. There is some sporadic trails of lace.

The nose definitely has some blueberries working here. However, they smell like real blueberries opposed to the artificial ones that are noticed in other brews. Underneath the berries lies some roasted malt and cocoa. Pretty nice.

The taste brings on a very nice integration of espresso, chocolate, roasted malts, and then the blueberries come in. It's pretty cool how the roasted malts and robust flavors come in right before a balanced amount blueberries. The blueberries arent really overbearing but they make their mark and keep this brew much different than others I have.

The mouthfeel is nice and medium bodied with a smooth, creamy feel. This is feeling pretty nice as the carbonation is moderate yet just right.

Overall, this is pleasant as a fruity stout. I have tried various efforts towards this concept with no avail . This is pretty damn nice.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company