Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout | Dark Horse Brewing Company

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Type: 12 oz bottle
Glass: Pint
From: Tippins in Ann Arbor
Price: $2.25 for 1

Appearance: Dark black opaque beer. A little bit viscous. Tannish head that almost looks a little blue. Really good looking beer

Smell: Sweet blueberries, taken over by the roasted malts.

Taste: roasted malts, bitter dark chocolate, and finally a hint of sweet blueberries. The taste falls way short for me, the blueberries are just a hint and the beer comes out much to bitter, when I was wanting a sweet stout

Mouthfeel: pretty thick. ends quite bitter. bittersweet blueberries linger

Overall: I was expecting a lot out of this one but it underwhelmed and am i glad i bought a single rather than a four pack, or even two for that matter.

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into GI pint

Pour: Dark black like you'd expect a stout to be. Had a big three finger brown head with large bubbles creating a rocky appearance. Head stayed for a short time and settled to a brown film.

Smell: Malty chocolate at first quickly followed by sweet ripe blueberries. Actually does smell like a chocolate dipped blueberry or a chocolate chip blueberry muffin. I can almost see the crunchy sugar pieces on top of a blueberry muffin as I smell a sugar sweetness, too. It also reminds me of a blueberry pie because I'm getting a graham cracker smell reminding me of pie crust. Outstanding and unique smelling beer!

Taste: Roasted malts and bitter chocolate dominate with some char and coffee. Actually quite bitter and not what I was expecting from the smell. The blueberries hit mid palate but not in a sweet sense but an astringent way. This beer is complex and changes each time I take a sip. It seems to become a bit more blueberry forward as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a very drinkable stout. Not too heavy and smooth and creamy feel.

Overall: I love blueberries so I had to give this one a shot. What I can say about this is that it is very interesting. A great beer? No. A solid, not typical offering? Yes.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Wasn’t sure about this one but worth a try. Pours pitch black with a brown one finger head. Really gorgeous pour. Aroma not helping me want to drink this. I can tell it is a mix of blueberry and chocolate, but really, it kind of smells like vomit (by kind of, I mean it literally smells like last night’s dinner coming back for an encore). Just weird. Luckily, the flvaor starts out okay. Not much blueberry going on to start, but the flavor is very roasty with hints of chocolate. Definite bitterness--not expected at this level from a sweet stout--and there are definitely hops here. Slight tinge of blueberry. Roasty smokey aftertaste with some cocoa. As I get through it a bit more the blueberry really starts coming out on the finish, and then all the way through. This just ends up becoming an all blueberry beer. Sweeter and sweeter as I go. Ultimately a drainpour. I just can’t deal with this one. Admittedly, I am not a huge blueberry fan anyway. Higher carbonation for a stout, which keeps it a bit lighter than It actually is on the palate. Overall I guess they hit what they were going for. But need to work on that truly effed up aroma pI would think even for those who are blueberry fans. Certainly different and interestingly complex, but not for me. It was worth a try.

4.16/5  rDev +3.7%

Was craving a new stout, when this specimen came into my local beer shop. I absolutely love blueberries so I had to get a 4 pack.

A- Pours jet black, nothing more. There is about 2 fingers worth of frothy, brown foam. Awesome retention rate of foam and beautiful lacing.

S- You get a whiff of ripe, sugar sweet blueberries and dark roasted malted goodness. Not too complex, but it smells good.

T- Its very bittersweet. Sweet blueberries clash with dark malt that has a coffee taste. Theres also some bitter dark chocolate that compliments the sweetness. Ends with a bitter hop-like taste.

M- This is where I was pleasantly surprise. It was extremely drinkable. Not much carbonation on the tongue and light for a stout.

O- This is an excellent stout. Has the usual characteristics an average stout but the blueberries and hoppy finish just make this beer.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company