Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by Mitchster on 09-24-2002

Ratings: 1,746 |  Reviews: 656

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Like drinking blueberry pie!

Dark Horse is my local watering hole and the annual release of this beer creates excitement like kids at Christmas - and it usually comes out around Christmas... nice coincidence.

When you hold this beer up to your nose you smell blueberries. I believe, from talking with the bar staff (not any of the brewing staff) that the beer sits in a secondary fermenter with Michigan blueberries for months. I might be wrong, but I hope not - I like when beers are romanced with details like that.

The blueberry flavor is clearly there, not ridiculous like drinking some weird acai-blueberry crap at your health club. This beer is balanced giving you enough roasted malt and blueberry to make you think of blueberry pie. And for us Michiganders, blueberry pie at Christmas, made from berries from the falls harvest is... well there I go romanticizing beer again. Just drink one!

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Served on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor. Poured black with dark purple highlights. There was a moderate brownish-red head that dissipated quickly. The nose was roasty but with lots of blueberry, it smells very sweet.

The taste matches the smell pretty well, it tastes like a bubbly warm blueberry cobbler with a nice roasted edge on the crust. The finish is lingering blueberries with with a mix of bitter chocolate and hoppy bite. It has a pleasing level of complexity without being over the top. The mouthfeel is great, with moderate carbonation and excellent smoothness. Surprisingly it feels more meaty and robust than the Dark Horse Imperial Stout, a little backwards in that respect but certainly nothing to diminish this beer.

Overall this was a very drinkable beer. I tend to get sick of fruity beers after the first half a pint or so but I could drink a few of these in a night and be happy about it. The Tres is just a very well crafted beer and a great example of what Dark Horse is capable of brewing.

As this tasting was on tap I will add an addendum to this review once I get to the bottle that is currently in my fridge.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap in snifter glass.

A: Deep, dark black with a beautiful tan head.

S: Malts of a stout with a hint of sweetness.

T: Initially, there is a deep, dark stout taste. Finishes with a pleasant, slightly sweet blueberry taste.

M: Full bodied.

O: This is a terrific stout. Unique with the addition of blueberries.

4.71/5  rDev +17.5%

I bought this beer a couple of times over a year ago and would love to find it again. It's a nice combination of a very dry and bitter stout with the perceived (aromatic) sweetness of blueberries making for a phenomenal balance. I usually prefer a hefty stout with twice the alcohol, but this was just as satisfying. I'm glad to see it get good ratings, since the blueberry thing might pigeonhole it with some people as somewhat of a novelty. And I didn't even think of myself as much of a blueberry fan before trying it.

4.69/5  rDev +17%

Found this baby in Michigan...picked up a four pack (or two...)

A: Pitch black, motor oil, looks like any good stout really. What else can I say?

S: AMAZING. Smells like a good/roasty stout, but wait...whats that? The heavenly scent of blueberry's are intermingled with the smell of chocolate and alcohol. Not too much, and not too little. Perfect!

T: Chocolate, coffie, molasses, licorice, but in the middle it suddenly sweetens out. A subtle blueberry sweetness keeps the stout flavor from overpowering you. This is a really nice brew.

M: Creamy, thick, everything a good stout should be.

D: This is a VERY drinkable stout. The blueberry aroma and flavor keeps it from being too overpowering as a big stout. I could easily put a few of these babys away in one sitting. Delicious! Do you like blueberry muffins dipped in stout? I do.

4.69/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

WOW!!!

Simply Amazing!!!

Worth the $2.75 per bottle...ahhh, YEAH!!! No question. Almost Perfection in a bottle.

Love the blueberry. Fits very nice with a stout!

This is one fantastic Stout. I am so impressed. Blueberries, Chocolate, Burnt Carmel, Bitterness, Creamy, Thick, Black, Low ABV....what else is there to say. This is by far one of my favorite beers to date. It is almost...dare I say...perfect. Exceptional Stout. I love the fact that it is such a low ABV. I could sip on this beer all night. Dark Horse, you do impress me.

Open the bottle and you smell blueberries. But it is not overpowering at all. Very nice. I also love the fact that it is THICK with a small dark brown head that laces down the glass as it is drank. Amazing....absolutely amazing. I wish that this beer was made all year but it is not. I will definitely be waiting for its release next year.

Thanks Dark Horse. Keep up the great, fantastic, work. INCREDIBLE!!!

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

(written May 11, 2012)

I love me a dark beer, and I think we can all agree that it’s hard to find a stout or porter with a particular fruit in its name. This beer covered all the main components of a spectacular stout and one up’d it by adding a perfect amount of blueberry to it. Smells of blueberries. Pours completely black. Tastes of chocolate, coffee and blueberries. Has a fairly pleasant mouth feel. Overall this beer was all that I wanted and was expecting... There are countless amounts of fruit wheat beers, but how many fruit stouts do you have? This beer could replace coffee and pie for dessert.

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

Look a Stout look,a moment of tan head covers the surface and having set the stage,departs.
The glass gets film and syrup and some lace showing the signs of ample substance.
Aroma Fresh blueberry muffins,heavy on the blueberries with a cup of coffee on the side. You have to wonder about a stout Ice Cream float...

Taste Oh boy! I'd missed Tres in last year's 5 stout array and while fruit in beer is usually not my thing,here it is sublime.There is a solid punch of concentrated beer with illusions of dark roasted coffee and a flavorful chocolate malted and deep earthy roasted darkness....but the soft sweetness and unique tang of blueberries skips through it like happy children skipping through a great dark forest without fear. The Malt blend and the blueberry flavors manage to never mask each other or lose their individuality. That's something Dark Horse excels at. Everything dances together but never gets muddy or blurred.

Dark Horse,with their Black Bier,found a great malt bill and have tweaked it for most of their dark brews,lighter for Boffo Brown,more intense for Plead the 5th. They did Oat Stout,Cream Stout,Wee Heavy and that core Malt bill not only adapted but did special stuff interacting with the hops and yeasts and whatever to stir up a variety of details. With Fore,as with Tres, the smoke plays nice with the Stout,in just the right mix. With BA Plead...the Bourbon and Stout do a tongue tango that will make a grown man weep. In it seems any case,that magic malt blend does tricks and transitions like a jazz band...but can also jam with Blueberries.

And in the end you are left with a lingering tang from those berries and a tease of some nice rich roast coffee.
Mouth A sense of both viscosity and wetness. Again there's some trickery afoot.
Drinkability If I had a case...

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

A= pours black as the night and looks very thick in the pour. Quite impressive for such a low abv stout. As mentioned below someone said you can see a purpleish amber hue when you pay attention to it coming out of the bottle. A small tan head comes out but dies quickly and leaves no lacing.
S= really impressive stout odor. Chocolaty and coffeeish with some dark roasted malts and maybe a little smoke. Really something. The blueberry odor took me two sniffs because I was so blown away by the great stout smell but its there in a sweet candy sort of way. Muffins come to mind.
T= very unique. Chocolate roasty malt comes through first followed by a little more extreme coffee taste and the finish is a lot of blueberries similar to a muffin. There's actually a little tart sourness to it was well which is even more interesting... a sour stout hmm good idea. Really great.
M= very dry finish but starts sort of coating all along my mouth. Not the most impressive mouthfeel but better than average.
D= awesome. I really love this beer. Its something unique and fun. Ill be seeking more of this out often. Keeps you thinking and is so low in abv you can have a few to study the subtle nuances of such a great beer.

4.66/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.65/5  rDev +16%

What an incredible pour into my Sam Adams Sensory Glass. Delicious smell of blueberries. The appearance was remarkable as it looked like blueberry pancake mix poured onto a hot griddle -- with big glob-like bubbles popping all over a two inch purplish head. So it goes without saying, perfect 5s for both appearance and taste. Taste started out with a tinge of blueberries with a burnt stout overtone. Very tasty. Thick taste. Sticks to your teeth. You have to use your tongue to clean off your teeth, it's that thick. Scrumptious good. Mouthful is exceptional and thus the drinkability is very high, too. I'm sorry I only picked up a 4 pack at The Liquor Stop in Highland, IN. This is one of my new favorites. Great Job, Dark Horse !

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Pours a nice pitch black body with an espresso colored head that's not too big and finishes down nice and lacy. Smells like blueberry and malt. Smell not to overpowering, just right actually. On first taste, I could not help but notice how smooth it went down, about the smoothest stout I have ever had on first taste to be honest. On a second taste the blueberry really comes out and as the beer warms, it becomes more pronounced. Probably the best session stout I have ever had. Nice and smooth feel, tastes great, and is highly drinkable. 1st rate stout.

Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company