Dark Horse Too Cream Stout | Dark Horse Brewing Company

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,144 |  Reviews: 422

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark as expected with a minimal bronze head. The smell is very bitter with a kind of tin nose as well. Much like the smell the taste is extremely bitter chocolate. This is not for me but if you are a bitter chocolate fan than you will definitely like this. The upfront taste is not bad but really the downfall of this beer is the aftertaste. Very bitter and leaves a faint harsh taste on the tongue. I don't find this creamy or a milk stout. if there was a bitter stout category this would be a prefect fit. Would not buy this again.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours dark with a tan head. Smells of burnt chocolate. Tastes like bitter chocolate. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky smooth. Overall, a decent beer for the style. If you like your cream stout bitter this is for you. I like it and would drink it again.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%

This is my third in the Dark Horse Stout series. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Hardywood tulip.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with about a 1 1/2 finger head with a vigorous pour. Looks almost completely black in the glass with just a small touch of light coming through showing slight reddish brown hues.

Smell: I get a lot of cocoa/chocolate notes right off the bat. It's a little hard to get past that, but I can catch some roasted malts maybe and a slight vanilla. As the beer warmed, I got a little coffee as well.

Taste: Sweet, dark chocolate right off the bat. I expected this based on the nose, but what I did not expect was the solid amount of coffee/espresso notes that I got. Definitely a cream stout, but has a much more pronounced bitterness at the finish than most of the style.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and creamy mouthfeel, this one coats the tongue with all its wonderful goodness. This is my favorite of the 3 Dark Horse Stout series I have had so far.

Overall: I would have this higher than a 4, but the taste is way too close to a RIS to really rank it super high in this style. I really enjoyed the beer, just doesn't quite fit as a cream stout to me. That being said, I will purchase more of this and enjoy every drop!

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

First time trying a Dark Horse beer.

P: Served in a Samuel Smith stout glass. Pour is jet black with about a finger or so of mocha head that quickly disappears leaving a little lacing around the outside.

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, lactose

T: Getting a creamy dark chocolate taste. Cream first followed by dark chocolate and roasted malt bitterness on the back.

M: Creamy, bitter, light to medium body.

O: A good Sweet Stout, however I did like Samuel Smiths Organic Chocolate Stout a bit better. I was getting more bitter than sweet in this beer. A solid stout that I would have again but would seek out...

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a three finger tan shade. Retention isn't particularly superb, nor did I expect it to be. Lacing isn't great, either. Still, the look of this one puts most imperial stouts to shame.

S: Certainly a cream stout, with its big notes of lactose and powdered chocolate. Underlying that is some roasted barley. Smells bigger than it really is.

T: An initial wave of opening lactic cream is really pleasant, giving way to a combination of unsweetened chocolate and roasted barley. The aforementioned finish retains its milky twang, helping to balance all of the pleasant roasty bitterness. I'm also happy the lactose doesn't come off as being too acidic. This is my kind of stout, only lacking in terms of depth.

M: Creamy and soft, giving way to a semi-dry finish. It does a solid job being moderately easy to drink and feeling big at the same time. Generally, it just FEELS pitch-black.

O: While it definitely comes off like a cream stout, there are many times drinking this where I think it might be an imperial stout, and a rock-solid one at that. Certainly it's much better than their One oatmeal stout.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As if we needed another brewery to be distributed to the DC area, we also get these guys now. Welcome to DC, Dark Horse.

Served in a DC Brau tulip because that's the way I roll.

A: Poured black as night, with a thick, thick, head that was about two shades lighter than the liquid below it.

S: Definitely got the milk in the nose here, which is unusual. Nevertheless, this smelled like Nestle's Quick as beer.

T: The bitterness overtook the chocolate which was a minor disappointment. This is one stouty stout! Dark baker's chocolate without a true candy bar bill. This was more of an entree milk stout to my mind.

M: Bitter, and I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. A good bit of splotchy lacing and very cream. Still, the finish was a bit off and the bitterness followed. It wasn't as gulpable as it could have been in that regard.

O: I'd try this one again at some point, but I wouldn't seek it out. Looking forward to trying all of their other entries.

Dark Horse Too Cream Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company